Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hypno's Naptime (027)

I really liked this episode. Although similarly to the Sabrina Gym battle, it makes Psychic Pokémon seem way too overpowered. If a Hypno / Drowzee could do all of that then any evil organisation could do major damage to the public just by keeping a few Psychic types. Anyway I loved seeing the kids act like Pokémon, especially Misty. I absolutely loved the fact that Misty got Psyduck, and the way she caught it. It's probably one of my most favourite Pokémon from the animé.

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitу View Post
    Although similarly to the Sabrina Gym battle, it makes Psychic Pokémon seem way too overpowered. If a Hypno / Drowzee could do all of that then any evil organisation could do major damage to the public just by keeping a few Psychic types.
    Weren't they like that in the games anyway at first? And when you think about it, couldn't they be overpowered? They use mental powers, and the mind can be a powerful thing--after all, the mind can't be controlled easily in the beginning, you know? Sabrina didn't seem to have control with her powers well at first as a child, but as she got older, she learned to suppress it until needed. Wouldn't it be the same with regular Psychic Pokémon?

And why else did Butch and Cassidy use a Drowzee in the Orange Islands? Of course, they had to hook it up to some nifty device, but it worked.

Anyway I loved seeing the kids act like Pokémon, especially Misty. I absolutely loved the fact that Misty got Psyduck, and the way she caught it. It's probably one of my most favourite Pokémon from the animé.
    Shame it's been years since I saw the episode, but I do remember it being on top of a building, and all the kids were rich kids. I don't remember why the Psyduck was there, though I think Nurse Joy originally had it in her care. But yeah, Psyduck's capture was funny.

*Psyduck follows the gang*

*Misty's PokéBall drops*

Psyduck: *walks up to it, pokes it with beak and gets captured*

Misty: NOOOO--

*credits roll*

And thus, Mom's favorite Pokémon turned out to be Psyduck.

Wait, was Psyduck's powers revealed in this episode? I remember something about Dexter mentioning headaches. Eh.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Wait, was Psyduck's powers revealed in this episode? I remember something about Dexter mentioning headaches. Eh.
    They didn't reveal it's powers in the episode. The Pokédex just mentioned that it always has a headache, and then Misty got one too after she realised she captured it.... or that it captured it! lol
    I can see why Psychic Pokémon would be really powerful but it just seems odd that they would make them out to be like an unbeatable type. And if they really are supposed to be that strong, why is Sabrina merely a Gym Leader? It doesn't make sense. D:

xxx

The fourth wall breaking is just so lame it becomes funny even. Anyway, I think this is not one of the best episodes. It even at some instances became quite monotonous but I did enjoy the introduction to some Pokémon and the capture of the famous "headache-Pokémon"

A funny episode, I liked when Ash and Misty said "Hop Hop Hop?" while hopping too, it was cute. I didn't like when Misty was under a spell of acting like a Seel. It was funny nevertheless though. It was great to see Psyduck join Misty's team, I love that duck so much.

Psyduck had a fleshed out personality considering this was the first saga where almost every Pokemon was heavily ignored

The Magikarp usually is so full of life, but now the magic's disappeared. *flop* “Brilliant deduction!”

In my household, my brothers and I are the bigger Pokémon fans, we've all been fans at some point or another—or still are. Like I'm sure most parents did, my mother sometimes sat down to watch the show with us. This was one of those rare episodes where I remember her chuckling out loud because of the end. This is the debut episode of Psyduck, and Misty's reaction at the end of the episode would become a staple of her character's running gag. My mom laughed when it was announced it suffers from constant headaches similar to how she was prone to migraines. Psyduck has since then become her favorite Pokémon, even though she's not fond of Pokémon much anymore.

This episode felt a little weird pacing-wise, and doesn't have much of a “plot”. I don't believe it's a filler since Misty “catches” Psyduck, but it's almost like the writers rushed through this episode. And it's a dull episode, nothing of real interest happens except at the end. There were very few laughs and more snores. (And I can't fall asleep in a classroom, so it was a bit of a chore to watch for a twenty-minute episode.) The only conflict was the missing children whose whereabouts baffle me. Now the hypnosis on Misty was a little funny, but it's not funny with the other kids. The fact they were in the middle of the park and no one noticed is what made me imitate the Jackie Chan meme face. You'd think the parents would go to the park to check, don't they know it exists in the town?

Also, the Pokémon Lovers Club is full of nutjobs. Not that they're nutjobs for using Hypno as a way to help them overcome their insomnia, but maybe it's because they used it too much. I don't think that's good for the brain and/or the memory center to rely on being hypnotized into a deep sleep. If one can get addicted to sleeping pills, then one could get addicted to sleep waves. But they're a bunch of rich folk, they're a little crazy like that. Also, 4KIDS' edit with the psywaves is odd, because the screen just freezes and it looks very awkward, and when there's movement, it's glitchy-looking. I don't know what the original footage looked like, but maybe they were afraid it'd cause seizures?

It's been 26 episodes since their debut, and it's just now that Team Rocket's plan is odd and the most boring. They're going to accost their boss with sleep so they could take a vacation? Um... well, at least their entrance on the roof was a bit goofy. Gliders, really? Okay, then. Reason they're doing all of this is so they can fill in a half-hour. The Hypno is probably in on it, too, for being stupid enough to get itself hypnotized. Wait, if it's in on it, then it wouldn't be stupid... but it's still stupid for agreeing to it...

Anyway, basically the best part is the end of the episode. I just love how Psyduck taps the ball with its bill and it gets captured without a struggle. Silly Psyduck, you may become a running gag, but we still love you. A shame you only showed up in two-three scenes this whole episode, you would've made it more tolerable to watch this snore-fest. “Beauty and the Beast” at least kept me awake even if it was rather forgettable.

At least next episode is more fashionable in its performance.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Two episodes in a row of TR breaking the 4th wall. I love it when this happens!
    Alpha Sapphire planned team (so far)

Claimed by me!

Mega Wishlist:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123