Thread: Potential Travelling Companions

Default Potential Travelling Companions

Another question from me, seeing as my last one was so well-received. Which past characters do you think could've made good travelling companions for Ash and co? And how would you have used them?

It could be a Gym Leader, a Frontier Brain, a COTD, etc. Anyone from the Pokemon Universe.

I used to think Falker, Bugsy or Whitney could've freshened up the original trio for Johto.

Pike Queen Lucy could've traveled with the group temporarily to act upon her potential "feelings" for Brock, which could've led to his exit after the Kanto Battle Frontier, instead of him returning for Sinnoh.

Have you ever had any similar thoughts/ ideas?

For me definitely Sakura from Johto or Barry from DP. It was sort of teased with Sakura wanting to join the group and Barry has an interesting personality.

Barry should've joined if he hadn't shown up so late in DP. He was perfect as a potential Brock replacement.

Sakura should have joined Ash and replaced Misty and may be she should have also challenged Gyms.

Lyra would have been neat.They looked great together during their little round with that feisty Gible. Not to mention Lyra had been taken to Ash and his determination and such. She would have loved his XY persona
    Sig to be updated eventually.

Lyra as Ash's second Dp female companion would've been cool. She could've battled in Sinnoh's gyms or done Pokeathlons.

I would have loved to see Barry join Ash on his journey. When it comes to gym leaders I'm a huge fan of Morty because I love ghost Pokemon. I think him adventuring with Ash would be interesting.
    Happy 20th Anniversary Pokemon!

I forgot about Sakura. She would've been great. Ditto Barry and Lyra.

What I think they should do is have it just be Ash and the Girl, with the 3rd, 4th, and even 5th spots in Ash-tachii being filled by a revolving door of recurring characters who hang with them for a while, leave, and sometimes come back to mix and match and keep things interesting (like how BW gave them several honorary members).

Most Chill Professor ever

It looked like OS was gonna do that with Ash and Misty, but then they realised no one was racially offended by Brock. :P

Concerning less specific cast members and more character archetypes, I was wondering whether we should go down the darker route. We've had standard travelling buddies who compliment Ash's good and bad qualities throughout his development. After XY was a pretty positive route with everyone looking up to him now he's mostly matured, what if we next had a more cynical Paul-esque counterpart who challenged Ash's ethics and questioned his motives and accomplishments? Not just light hearted mocking or criticism like Misty and Iris, outright conflict and attempts at soul crushing analysis. Maybe if they were REALLY deep in the cynical route they could question his heroism as well, maybe they'd be the types who'd tell him to look out for himself rather than compromising his goal for the sake of others (especially since XY shown Ash willing to put others' ambitions before his gym badges), or think nothing of being merciless or even killing villains such as Team Rocket.

Of course there would be the issue of how such a character would get stuck with Ash in his travels to begin with.
    Last edited by DatsRight; 28th April 2016 at 1:04 AM.

I would have liked to see Marina from Crystal to be in Ash's johto group.

Marina from Crystal would've been good as well. One of many game characters who should've appeared in the anime in some/ a greater capacity.

Also, Marina from the Orange Islands could've been great as well. She was an excellent COTD, one of my favourites in fact. She could've been a friendly rival for Misty and could've gone some way towards saving that character during the later years.

@DatsRight. I feel a character who forces Ash to question his ethics and whole viewpoint is great as a rival, but I feel it'd be too heavy and intense all the time as a travelling companion.

Definitely Sakura, younger sibling of Kimono sisters from Johto who became good friends with Misty. She was upbeat, embroidered with energy and resolution. Had abit of self esteem issues worth exploring and i felt she would have worked very well as fourth traveling companion joining Ash, Misty and Brock.

Misty and Sakura had interesting dynamic being able to relate to each other due to coming from families where they are youngest siblings coming to lack of understanding, support or in Misty case respect as well from older sisters. And their girl talk, sharing with themselves experiences etc resulted in strong friendship as evidenced later when they met her again and in chronicles. Having two girls in main cast around same age would have opened path for some fresh and entirely different chemistry in main cast delivering new dimension to it in my opinion.

Not to mention based on Sakura later appearances when she had Espeon and later in chronicles when battling Misty for her third badge, Sakura did gave out impression of being good material for trainer and someone who could been mentored by Ash and co. Sharing their experience and knowledge with her.

Another one I always kinda wished to see introduced in anime in some greater capacity was Rosa from BW2 games. Based on game trailer footage she appeared, you could say she was represented in light of tough, smart and skilled female trainer. Trainer who could have break her way in anime series as recurring character bumping in Ash and co at times developing rivalry with Ash.

Because if there was always something really lacking in pokemon series was proper female rival. And by that I do not mean characters who opposed his views and challenged Ash skills like we used to see at times from some of Ash friends liking to compete in who is more knowledgeable.

But proper, fully fledged out female rival who would stand in way of Ash achieving his dream of becoming pokemon master. Who is calculated, abit smirky and judgmental not having understanding for those who selfpity themselves instead of trying to do something about their problems.

Rosa/Mei could've been introduced as older rival for Ash avoiding unpleasant issue of de aging her for anime purposes. Who would offer insight in her origins and starting days as pokemon trainer, what exactly winning league and gaining recognition as trainer symbolize for her. Questioning Ash desire to become pokemon master, if he is even aware what that exactly means and why this is so important to him.

Quote Originally Posted by MattySadler View Post
    Also, Marina from the Orange Islands could've been great as well. She was an excellent COTD, one of my favourites in fact. She could've been a friendly rival for Misty and could've gone some way towards saving that character during the later years.
    I definitely agree. Marina from Orange Islands would have been excellent candidate for Misty rival, because Misty character could benefit a lot from this. Presence of another water trainer like Marina would provide on table distract, additional bump on road for her to overcome. Someone to question her motives in being water pokemon trainer,. Opening ground for more development; like going through self searching and realizing how she loves water pokemon too much to give up, with new strength and motivation found in meantime giving her edge in proving opposition wrong about her talent and abilities.

Marina was also just as big enthusiast and passionate lover of water, oceans and this specie ensuring fantastic dynamic. Based on lot of energy, lively and girly interactions going between this two girls and silly antics their meeting produced.

However don't get wrong impression of me trying to go after your opinion. Because I respect how your feeling about this but I still feel need and obligation to point out that i legitimately cannot see how would "presence of Marina help to save Misty character".
    To add more content to her story? Sure, but other things like Misty characterization was in my opinion perfectly fine during late Johto and especially pokemon chronicles/Hoenn with enjoyable aspect of her and charm being revitalized. With maturity not representing deterioration from which this character never recovered.

What Misty needed was to not be replaced this early in pokemon series imo(especially with Hoenn being so rich with water plots). Because looking back Misty left cast as open book with many things writers leaving unfinished about her character, water pokemon master dream, potential to become E4 one day seeking for such level of respect based on her interest in E4, her feelings about Ash, family, her pokemon being forced to return back to gym against her will and had many flaws and unanswered things about her future. Not to mention I miss her strong willed nature, sarcasm, spunk and resourcefulness not sulking in corner, but searching for answers to issues. Enriching on anime atmosphere with her presence.

But that's just me and i guess we clearly have entirely different opinions on her potential and value as character.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 28th April 2016 at 8:54 AM.

Lyra. Ash could have went to Johto for the D/P Battle Frontier and while he does that, Lyra did Gym Battles she didn't do when they met again. And it'd have been cool to see some of the Gym Leaders show up in HGSS style.

And Sakura because another girl being in the group might have helped Misty stay fresh and interesting during the later half of Johto
    Every other cast member > Clemont/Bonnie

Quote Originally Posted by Zoruagible View Post
    Lyra. Ash could have went to Johto for the D/P Battle Frontier and while he does that, Lyra did Gym Battles she didn't do when they met again. And it'd have been cool to see some of the Gym Leaders show up in HGSS style.
    Yeah, Lyra during a Johto region run of the 4th Gen Battle Frontier would have been good to see. Ditch Brock, have Ash doing the Battle Frontier, have Dawn doing her Contests an have Lyra challenging the Gyms.

To be honest, had Ash not been wholly nerfed at the start of the Best Wishes series, I would have liked to have seen him in a mentor role. Keep him doing as well as he was at the end of the Diamond and Pearl series and then have him take on Hilda as a kind of protege (as he did mentor both May and Dawn a little bit towards the start of their respective journeys). As for the gym battles, that would be easily solved. Ash, as the more experienced trainer, would be expected to battle stronger pokemon while Hilda faces weaker ones. For example, at the Striaton Gym, Ash would face Simipour, Simisear and Simisage while Hilda faces Panpour, Pansear and Pansage. Then in the Nacrene Gym, Ash faces Stoutland, Cinccino and Bouffalant while Hilda faces Watchog, Minccino and Herdier. Then towards the end of the series, following the release of Black 2 White 2, Ash faces Roxie and Drayden for his seventh and eighth badges while Hilda faces Brycen and Marlon.
    Yellow League Champions

Zappy Charlie Cabbage Leonardo Penelope Chuck

Blue [Monotype Poison] 3rd Badge
    Cabbage Jr Hornet Elizabeth Bathilda

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter1988 View Post
    Yeah, Lyra during a Johto region run of the 4th Gen Battle Frontier would have been good to see. Ditch Brock, have Ash doing the Battle Frontier, have Dawn doing her Contests an have Lyra challenging the Gyms.

To be honest, had Ash not been wholly nerfed at the start of the Best Wishes series, I would have liked to have seen him in a mentor role. Keep him doing as well as he was at the end of the Diamond and Pearl series and then have him take on Hilda as a kind of protege (as he did mentor both May and Dawn a little bit towards the start of their respective journeys). As for the gym battles, that would be easily solved. Ash, as the more experienced trainer, would be expected to battle stronger pokemon while Hilda faces weaker ones. For example, at the Striaton Gym, Ash would face Simipour, Simisear and Simisage while Hilda faces Panpour, Pansear and Pansage. Then in the Nacrene Gym, Ash faces Stoutland, Cinccino and Bouffalant while Hilda faces Watchog, Minccino and Herdier. Then towards the end of the series, following the release of Black 2 White 2, Ash faces Roxie and Drayden for his seventh and eighth badges while Hilda faces Brycen and Marlon.
    But if Hilda fights weak Gym Leaders then it makes her Gym wins look almost as bad as freebie badges since we know the Gym Leader is holding back with her, and basically telling the audience she's not really stronger then the Gym Leaders she's beating. Doesn't make her look strong at all for a Pokemon League when trainers of all experience will not be holding back against her and it would be the Gyms fault for not preparing her for them. You might as well not have Hilda enter a Pokemon League.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham! Sereevee or Serevee equals Serena+Eevee!

Frontier Brain Anabel because she had already formed somewhat of a friendship with Ash before they battled each other and on top of that she can speak to pokemon telepathically,another potential companion would be Sinnoh Gym Leader Gardenia because of her upbeat personality and love for grass type pokemon.

Paul's Wrecking Crew

I would say Richie because he is cool with Ash. Plus the two Pikachus would make an excellent tag team.
    Dragon user - can counter Steel with Fire attacks and counter Fairy with Poison and Steel attacks.

Currently playing Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Waiting for Sun and Moon to come out.

Currently own: All gen 4, 5 and 6 main series games.

Obtained shiny Latias on the 14/4/2016

I have Asperger Syndrome which makes it hard to socialize, make friends, date and communicate.

My apologies to the users and mods of Serebii for my unprofessional posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    But if Hilda fights weak Gym Leaders then it makes her Gym wins look almost as bad as freebie badges since we know the Gym Leader is holding back with her, and basically telling the audience she's not really stronger then the Gym Leaders she's beating. Doesn't make her look strong at all for a Pokemon League when trainers of all experience will not be holding back against her and it would be the Gyms fault for not preparing her for them. You might as well not have Hilda enter a Pokemon League.
    But see, that's the thing - Gym Leaders clearly don't use everything they have against an opponent, because if they did things would be very different. You think Brock could have become a trainer worthy enough to earn the title of Gym Leader from the pokemon league while using only a Geodude and Onix? You think Misty could have done so using only Staryu and Starmie? How about Falkner with Pidgey and Pidgeotto, or Bugsy with a Metapod, Kakuna and Scyther? Clearly these people do not become recognised Gym Leaders through the use of such pokemon - it would be insane to presume so.

At the same time, is it fair that a trainer such as Ash, who at the start of the Best Wishes Series had already collected 8 gym badges and achieved relatively high positions in the leagues of four major regions in the pokemon world, as well as becoming champion of the Orange League and winning all seven symbols from the Kanto Battle Frontier - do you think it would truly be a fair test of his skill (if he were written with any consistency at all) to take on a gym leader who only has a Lillipup and Pansage (Cilan).

On the other hand, would it be fair to put a brand new trainer up against a Simisage, Maractus and Ferrothorn (Cilan'sB2/W2 Team)? Of course not.

Personally I prefer to look at it the way Pokemon Origins did it - Brock asked Red how many badges he had. When Red said he had none, Brock then used that information to decide which two pokemon he would use, implying that he had stronger ones waiting in the wings should he encounter a trainer who, for example, had come from Vermillion City and already had the Thunder, Cascade, Marsh and Rainbow badges - Brock ain't gonna use just Geodude and Onix on that guy. Maybe something more like Graveler, Kabutops, Rhyhorn and a different Onix.
    Yellow League Champions

Zappy Charlie Cabbage Leonardo Penelope Chuck

Blue [Monotype Poison] 3rd Badge
    Cabbage Jr Hornet Elizabeth Bathilda

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter1988 View Post
    But see, that's the thing - Gym Leaders clearly don't use everything they have against an opponent, because if they did things would be very different. You think Brock could have become a trainer worthy enough to earn the title of Gym Leader from the pokemon league while using only a Geodude and Onix? You think Misty could have done so using only Staryu and Starmie? How about Falkner with Pidgey and Pidgeotto, or Bugsy with a Metapod, Kakuna and Scyther? Clearly these people do not become recognised Gym Leaders through the use of such pokemon - it would be insane to presume so.

At the same time, is it fair that a trainer such as Ash, who at the start of the Best Wishes Series had already collected 8 gym badges and achieved relatively high positions in the leagues of four major regions in the pokemon world, as well as becoming champion of the Orange League and winning all seven symbols from the Kanto Battle Frontier - do you think it would truly be a fair test of his skill (if he were written with any consistency at all) to take on a gym leader who only has a Lillipup and Pansage (Cilan).

On the other hand, would it be fair to put a brand new trainer up against a Simisage, Maractus and Ferrothorn (Cilan'sB2/W2 Team)? Of course not.

Personally I prefer to look at it the way Pokemon Origins did it - Brock asked Red how many badges he had. When Red said he had none, Brock then used that information to decide which two pokemon he would use, implying that he had stronger ones waiting in the wings should he encounter a trainer who, for example, had come from Vermillion City and already had the Thunder, Cascade, Marsh and Rainbow badges - Brock ain't gonna use just Geodude and Onix on that guy. Maybe something more like Graveler, Kabutops, Rhyhorn and a different Onix.
    That was Pokemon Origins. It hasn't been stated in the current anime if Gym Leaders operate like that. And even if they do it's still looks bad for Hilda to fight the same Gym Leader that's going to fight Ash and that Gym Leader uses more advance strategies on Ash and then fights with lesser unevolved weaker Pokemon with Hilda. It devalues her strength when shown like that and we'll all know the Gym Leader would wipe the floor with her with the Pokemon he/she uses against Ash. This is why I don't want to see a female companion doing Gyms in the same region Ash is doing them because they'll just make hers look weaker and less impressive by comparison. When we had Contest it was much different due to the rules, and the girls were limited to how "fair" it would be to Ash because he didn't enter them. I'd love to see a girl do Gyms but only if Ash is gone.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham! Sereevee or Serevee equals Serena+Eevee!

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    That was Pokemon Origins. It hasn't been stated in the current anime if Gym Leaders operate like that. And even if they do it's still looks bad for Hilda to fight the same Gym Leader that's going to fight Ash and that Gym Leader uses more advance strategies on Ash and then fights with lesser unevolved weaker Pokemon with Hilda. It devalues her strength when shown like that and we'll all know the Gym Leader would wipe the floor with her with the Pokemon he/she uses against Ash. This is why I don't want to see a female companion doing Gyms in the same region Ash is doing them because they'll just make hers look weaker and less impressive by comparison. When we had Contest it was much different due to the rules, and the girls were limited to how "fair" it would be to Ash because he didn't enter them. I'd love to see a girl do Gyms but only if Ash is gone.
    The girl doing gyms could be doable, but the question would be if the writers could do it properly. I could easily see it at first where she battles the B or C teams for her badges while Ash constantly battles their A teams. This could cause the girl to see herself as inferior and have her not view her badges as being as great an accomplishment as Ash's badges are since he'd be battling them at their best while they lower their level to face her. This seeming condescension could cause her grow frustrated, both with Ash and the gym leaders and cause her to challenge only the gym leaders' A team Pokémon, leading to her defeat the first few times. Gradually, she gets better and eventually can take on the Gym Leaders' A team Pokémon and reliably win, reconciling with Ash in the process. This could culminate in her and Ash battling it out in the League, possibly even in the finals so it would be a toss up as to who would win.
    Team Rocket will pay for their crimes.

My fanfiction.net profile

I'm not against it, but think it'd be pretty awful if we'd see Ash face a Gym Leader and then the female face the exact same Gym Leader, even if she used slightly different Pokemon or whatever. It'd just be boring. I think for it to work we'd need to see a larger number of Gym Leaders, like in BW/BW2, or Anime-only Gyms, which is something that has been touched upon many times in the series already.