6 15.00%
  • BW

4 10.00%
  • XY

7 17.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most overrated saga

Default Most overrated saga

This thread is pretty much self explantatory. Also please remember to give a reasoning as to why you think that they are overrated rather than just saying which ones are overrated.
    Last edited by pokepal123; 24th September 2014 at 2:15 PM.
    My Opinions Regarding PokémonStarted by PokémonNation2000)
    Anime: DP>OS(Kanto and OI)=AG>OS(Chronicles)>OS(Johto)>>BW
    Movies:OS>AG>DP>>>BW
    English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW001-BW115)/Average > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW116-BW142)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (DP001-DP191)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY001-Present)/Terrible > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (AG146-AG192)/Atrocious
    Games:BW1>BW2W2=P>DP>HGSS>E>FRLG=RBY>RS>>>ORAS>XY
    Pokémon The Origin: Mediocre 5.5/10

I CAN tell you the most underrated saga: BW.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    This is pretty much the truth no questions about it.

The overrated sagas in my opinion are OS, DP, and XY. I like all of them, but OS and DP DP Ash and Dawn are insanely overrated by everyone in this fandom.
    Last edited by DarkLucarioADV; 24th September 2014 at 2:13 PM.

Yes but please remember that this poll is only there to discuss the most overrated saga not anything else.
    My Opinions Regarding PokémonStarted by PokémonNation2000)
    Anime: DP>OS(Kanto and OI)=AG>OS(Chronicles)>OS(Johto)>>BW
    Movies:OS>AG>DP>>>BW
    English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW001-BW115)/Average > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW116-BW142)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (DP001-DP191)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY001-Present)/Terrible > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (AG146-AG192)/Atrocious
    Games:BW1>BW2W2=P>DP>HGSS>E>FRLG=RBY>RS>>>ORAS>XY
    Pokémon The Origin: Mediocre 5.5/10

OS and maybe XY well at least XY Ash is.
    BW is probably the most underrated imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

AG and DP were great sagas, no questions asked.. but many people do take their praise a bit too far and I therefore find them to be overrated, despite still liking them myself.

Is Korrina a saga?

OS, I find it crazy that so many people still cant move on.

DP, while having glaring issues, still had Dawn and The battles to keep it somewhat decent.

XY hasnt quite finished yet, but have taken some dumb choices, but might still turn out great.

Credit goes to Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric designs.

Before I answer, I need to know if we can talk about different arcs instead of the whole series.

Can we talk about Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto, Hoenn and the Battle Frontier as different sagas instead of lumping them all together like that???

OS is actually three sagas under the same series title and AG is 2. Maybe three (Late Hoenn feels a little different from Early and Mid-Hoenn thanks to Emerald).

Heck, the hot mess that is BW could almost count as four vaguely connected mini-sagas...

Heck, for all we know, XY could even change plots on us before all's said and done depending one what happens with the remainder Gen 6 :/
    Last edited by Jangobadass; 24th September 2014 at 6:15 PM.
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: 10/23/2014

I voted for BW by accident, but my actual choice would be Diamond & Pearl.
    So much credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner!

I personally think OS is the most overrated but I also think AG is up there too.
    The most underrated though is probably either BW or DP though.

DP. The art was terrible. The clouds... oh gosh, it looked like some kid drawn them. The heads? Really disproportionate. Unpopular opinion: Dawn is a overrated character! She had no flaws outside the Contests and even in the Contests she was too good for someone who had just started. Of course, they had the "depression arc" when she lost like 2 times, then she started to win again, even against May and Zoe who had a lot more experience than her. Besides that, she had a pretty generic friendship with Ash and she rarely talked to Brock. The saga had like 200 episodes, but we had like only 4 bonding episodes and all of them were copies of the past ones. It looked like the writers didn't even bother about developing human relationships, they just decided to make them friends the easiest way they could and that was it. Besides, i feel bad for Brock in this saga, the only job he had was saying those stupid jokes about how much he loves women. That got boring ages ago.
    Last edited by Xuxuba; 24th September 2014 at 6:38 PM.

Personally, I think that DP was the most underrated.

Anyway, most overrated imo was AG. May was the daughter of a gym leader yet she had no clue about pokemon, which is absurd. She was a total milquetoast before she decided to become a coordinator. Team Rocket was as dry as they were in Johto. Ash had no rival and just seemed to exist. Misty's cameo was dull and forgettable. The contests were weak and became unwatchable after Sinnoh. May's rivals were subpar. Team Magma and Aqua were too goofy to be taken seriously. Battle Frontier was unnecessary.

OS is a close second. Had some of the worst pokemon battles in the entire series. His gym battles in Kanto were a joke. Brock should never have left. Tracey should have been at Oak's from the beginning. Misty bullied Ash and Brock too much. Johto, outside of Whitney and Claire, was a farce. Misty putting her hands on Ash and Brock multiple times. Only a handful of Orange Island episodes were entertaining (Charizard vs dragonite was boss). Brock should have gotten more focus than Misty. Animation was subpar for its time. Misty did little else aside from yelling at Ash and carrying togepi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
    Does Dawn own Misty? Yes she does!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkus View Post
    Personally, I think that DP was the most underrated.
    Oh? I'd say that DP is the second favorite saga after OS.

XY without a doubt imo. It's barely like 50 episodes in and it's already heralded as the second coming of Christ.

I'm gonna say Sinnoh...everybody treats it as some mecca of good writing when it had a lot of flaws in it.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

For me, either Kanto or the Battle Frontier.

BF was a hot mess of promotion meant to advertise the rest of Gen 3 after Ruby & Sapphire with rushed pacing, wasted potential, crappy battles, and some of the worst animation the Show ever saw.

And while there's a lot to like about Kanto, it has the worst Badge Quest, 2nd Worst League, and some of the worst pacing, rushing through things that should've had been given more time and dragging its feet the rest of the time. People so say it's so great need to take off those nostalgia goggles.
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: 10/23/2014

I can't decide between gen 3 or 6 since they're literally the same thing only with a few gender swaps.

OS is by far the most overrated saga, it's my 2nd favorite behind AG but even I can admit that nostalgia plays in greatly for my praise for it and the praise others give it.
    To lack fear is stupidity, to face it is bravery.

DP overrated?
    This is a joke right?
    DP is clearly underrated considering all the development, interactions, friendships, rivalry, epic league battles, and high touch it had.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    XY without a doubt imo. It's barely like 50 episodes in and it's already heralded as the second coming of Christ.
    This isnt true in any sense of the word, like where have you been this entire time?

I can't decide between gen 3 or 6 since they're literally the same thing only with a few gender swaps.
    Is that you Scott?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    this
    for me DP and XY being overrated by fans many times
    DP maturity LV , ash being competent and bla bla bla
    XY being better then bw event it isn't complete yet
    Welcome Gen VI

PIKACHU
    the mascot of pokemon franchise

Most of the stuff that people hate about the current series; Ash pretty much being handed Pokemon and wins he didn't earn, unambitious traveling companions, Team Rocket interference, Pointless Filler/Filler Archs, Team Favoritism, lack of progress/development, and DEM it to Win It not only originated from the Original Series but thrived there.

It did a handful of things right, but not many.

I'm going with the first half of AG aka Hoenn, the battle frontier picked up things, but hoenn was one of the worst regions ever.

Lack of a main rival for Ash until the last minute and him pretty much using only four pokemon to get all of his badges was rediculious, don't even get me started on Torkoal or the gym battles.

Im not even sure from where it comes belief how OS earn merit of being viewed as overrated. I hardly see any praise for Kanto, Johto in this days and age?

On polls usually DP wins by landslide in terms of preference if forums are something to go by. And in general advocation for return of OS characters like Misty or Brock which was strongly present in previous years is all but gone.
    With Original series in today day and age being heavily underappreciated based on posts i read online.

If anything i would say most overrated generation and series in this day and age is DP. Sinnoh series not seeing anything so spectacular and amazing about it? Definitely not to such degree that it deserves rating of being "pinnacle of pokemon entertainment value and creative storytelling".

I mean it had its great moments like best written rival and villains so far(Paul and Team Galactic). Ash matured to more significant level becoming open minded, resourceful and highly adamant about his beliefs which were brought in question gaining more layers to his thought process and characteristics. And Dawn had some very good moments with her struggles and depression arc making you symphatize with character.But even than Dawn hardly changed in personality sense feeling like May and Misty matured and grew more in emotional sense imo.

However Sinnoh series also lacked emotion and originality put into it AG and Original series had. Treating story more as individual media which pays less attention in following games, and invests more in build of its own adventure, aspect of friendship and sense of world building with writing staff being bold in executing their own ideas and way under which plot, continuity and characters will go only borrowing some elements from games for promotion purposes, thus delivering higher independence to show itself.

For start i felt characterization, originallity and effort put into protagonist interactions took steep decline compared to earlier generatuions and adterwards(yes i believe Unova had good characterization, memlotional and varied). Which imo had more attention dedicated to humans rather than development of pokemon and more out of place plots which brimmed with creativity.

Dialogue was many times cheesy and out of place with chemistry between main characters lacking tension, spontaneous interaction and witty dialogue which would add more seasoning in relationship.

Problem wasn't only in lack of bond between Brock and Dawn feeling more like acquintances rather than real friends due to lack of focus where they could spend quality time together, get more familiarized with their own dreams, fears or backgrounds accordingly formiong closer bond.
    But also in monotone relationship prevailing between Ash and Dawn. Sure Ash and Dawn had good dynamic coming of as very supportive to each other, encouraging themselves not to give up and considerate of their flaws. But whole atmosohere "happy go lucky" with almost never conflict, irritation or slight came of at times as abit vapid, generic and one dimensional.

There is also rather predictable pattern DP storyline followed sticking to in advance formed formula not being too hard to predict outcomes.

Several things were rehash of what we already witnessed before, something which didn't helped at all in majing me feel more invested in series as whole. For example whole issue of Pikachu refusing to evolve in DP, Chimchar abandoned by trainer , Dawn challenging gym leader were already used plots we saw before with Charmander, when Misty challenged Coastline gym leader Dorian etc.

Sure you could argue how every saga has that, but amount of intensity and edgy elements other series contained made them more exciting and upbeat to follow for me. Such as whole story about St. Anne sunk ship leaving you in expectation if Ash and others managed to survive? Just to be followed up with story of Island of Giant pokemon serving as sequel to whole thing.
    Differently structured competitions such as Orange Islands gyms containing instead of traditional battles shoot practice, making sculptures of ice, races etc along with element of romance Misty character added in Rudy and Danny gyms adding for a nice twist. Whirl islands having veil of mystery written around it through mention of sea heroes and ancient times when this creatures and humans lived in harmony as one or centuries forgotten silver wing and legends about it.

Back and forth game play when Ash challenging Brandon losing 2 times in a row before he finally realized how he should rediscover innate feeling he had as trainer when starting out and what it takes to be best calling out all of his original pokemon for final challenge serving as emphatic throwback to his roots and when he just started out.
    Or Ash becoming evil because of actually being plosessed by evil King of PokeAtlantis who wanted his soul and rule world. With Brandon having to battle him and conceal evil back in stoneorb saving Ash soul.

Such unique and fresh ideas i cannot say were one of DP best points for me.

For me at least Sinnoh simply lacked that level of thrill which would keep you on edge of your toes in expectancy of what will happen next and unorthodox out of place twists certain series used to had.

Sinnoh was also stretched out as saga for too long cramming everything in 4 years, when filler arc would be much more helpful to maintain steam DP achieved in first half of its run. Especially that gap between Snowpoint and Sunnyshore which slowly but surely started to mud down into the ground entertainment value of saga itself. People say Johto was dragged?

No, definition of dragged down plot is actually Sinnoh imo.

Which resulted in rushed DP league, dragged out contest arc, along with too many episodes being wasted on pokemon training and perfecting appeals just to introduce one quickly learned move 5 minutes before end just so you could tell how episode wasnot total waste,.

I follow anime for adventure, build of friendship and compassion between protagonist diving deeper in their personalities and relationship, pokenon battles and all those fun, filled with humor and innovative plots storylines. Rather than seeing pokemon trying to perfect some random move for whole 22 minutes repeating such scenery on daily basis, when all that focus could be used for something much more productive like development of shafted characters(yes you Brock) and rivals.

Likewise i never really liked DP contests nearly as much like it was case in Hoenn. Former ones didn't had all those accessories like dressing up, seal and ball capsules being like trainer type of battles focusing more on battle rather than appeal aspect and combination of techniques to make something look more flashy. I can understand why some would like it, but for me it was never particularly amusing finding myself to enjoy much more in May AG contests where battles seemed more rigorous.

For same reason despite not being blessed with huge arcs like its case with coordinators i enjoyed much more in other girl careers like Iris of becoming dragon master or Misty's of becoming water master. Because of concentrating on real trainer battles where more emphasis is put on canalizing full pokemon strength properly using it to your advantage, strategy and direct approach where raw strength and resistance play main word. Most of all it contained certain mysterious touch to it increasing on suspense due to never knowing in what direction development might go.

In end Sinnoh had its strong, but also many weak points for me failing to live up to high standards in terms of strong personalities, comedy, lively atmosphere, unpredictability and innovation in terms of planning out and constructing character progression and elements in story regardless of doing better job in their execution and development.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkus View Post
    OS is a close second. Had some of the worst pokemon battles in the entire series. His gym battles in Kanto were a joke. Brock should never have left. Tracey should have been at Oak's from the beginning. Misty bullied Ash and Brock too much. Johto, outside of Whitney and Claire, was a farce. Misty putting her hands on Ash and Brock multiple times. Only a handful of Orange Island episodes were entertaining (Charizard vs dragonite was boss). Brock should have gotten more focus than Misty. Animation was subpar for its time. Misty did little else aside from yelling at Ash and carrying togepi.
    I can understand why you may not have been able to enjoy into Misty, because not everyone will be able to relate themselves and enjoy in headtrong, tomboush type of characters like her. I personally liked that mix being like girl in lot of ways being dreamer, caretaker and flirt, but also straightforward and tough making her multidimensional character.

But there exists difference between personal preferences and value, impact someone left on series. Something i think you didn't addressed in your post fairly describing Misty position in anime as much lower than in reality was.

Misty was character which brought lot of identity, spirit and personality in this show. Let alone her story, dreams, important role in Ash growth as trainer and pushing anime forward through her intelligence and strongwilled nature in resolving various problems, dangers and delicate situations(villains, enraged pokemon,accidents, clues and various mysteries etc). With pokemon if anything losing good chunk of appeal. Symbol of hard work and determination accompanied with diverse, realistic and affluent characterization she brought once writers did concocted move by taking her out instead of allowing to be used to full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Murder Doll View Post
    OS is by far the most overrated saga, it's my 2nd favorite behind AG but even I can admit that nostalgia plays in greatly for my praise for it and the praise others give it.
    Is it really that hard to imagine how there exist people which dont prefer Original series just because of nostalgic value?

Is it really that unprecedented that to people something which is older may contain stronger characters, deeper storyline and higher level of entertainment than newer generations?
    As long people who prefer older seasons gave fair chance and opportunity to new seasons to either won their partiality or reinforcing belief of older being of higher quality.

Than who are we to judge them and determine which opinion is wrong or right?

I gave chance to every new generation, several of characters i like came from AG, DP, or BW. But i still prefer Original series or in terms of companions Misty and Brock with nostalgia having very little to do with it. Simply preferring different writing style, different atmosphere anime had, characters, comedy, dynamic between protagonists or tension, conflict and creativity brought to story and someone lives.

P.S. By the way in response to above post;

Saying how OS had no character development, how story arcs were pointless leading nowhere and "unmotivated traveling companions"implying they had no goals or wishes to strive toward makes me seriously question if people remember OS all that much than?
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 25th September 2014 at 2:59 PM.

For Me, I Personally think DP is the most Overrated Saga due to people thinking it's the Best Saga where it's my Least Favorite but we all have Our Opinions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast