Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most overrated/underrated Pokemon Characters

Question Most overrated/underrated Pokemon Characters

Who are the most overrated/underrated characters of Pokemon?

Overrated characters are all of the elite 4 and champions, especially Cynthia since they are shown as extremely op.
    The most underrated character is Iris because of her personality I'm guessing.
    The most overrated Pokemon is Goodra as its being treated like it's a legendary for some reason by the fanbase.
    The most underrated Pokemon is Chespin since I actually find it to be funny.

Overrated : Dawn, Bonnie, Zoey, any Charizard, Ash's Staraptor, Buizel, Goodra, Snivy

Underrated: Iris, Drew, Ash's Corphish

Iris and Cilan are underrated. Ash is overrated.

May seems underrated compared to Dawn and Serena. It's like no one likes her.

Unova rivals like Georgia, Burgundy and Trip seem underrated to me. I mean I always read praise for rivals like Gary, Paul and Harley, but the Unova ones seem neglected. :[

Over-rated: Genesect, I'm pretty sure that it isn't considered a Legendary.
    Under-rated: Shaymin,Jirachi, Mew, Celebi, most people tend to think that cute pokemon aren't powerful.
    Top four favourite Pokemon:
    -------------------------------------------- --------
    Diamond team:
    Y team: Delphox
    Alpha Sapphire team:
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Why are there no Kalos Pokemon smilies?
    Quote Originally Posted by vanillite1 View Post
    errrr... where's the question?

I cant think of any Overrated characters off the top of my head But Cilan and Iris are ash's most hated and underrated traveling companions to date

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu979 View Post
    I cant think of any Overrated characters off the top of my head
    Not even Dawn who has the largest following for some reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillachu View Post
    Not even Dawn who has the largest following for some reason?
    I always thought Dawn was pretty good. I thought she had nice development, a good team, she was given a large amount of focus in DP i guess that's just my take but to each their own.

Most overrated would have to be Ash and Misty from OS and most underrated would have to be Tracey and Cilan.

Paul's Unstoppable Team

Overrated: Serena (I don't dislike the character, though, she seems to be getting more attention than Dawn, imo.)

Underrated: Dawn, Lt. Surge, Ritchie, Tyson (Hoenn), Barry, Virgil (Huge lover of Eeveeloutions), Norman

TBH, IMO Serena..... is very overrated compared to Dawn / Misty. But that's IMO

Underrated? Iris, Barry, Cameron.

All IMO of course.

Overrated - Charizard
    Underrated - Tracey........
    Sig deleted by Hydrohs. Read the sig rules.

Most overrated character? I guess anyone with a fanbase can qualify really. Every female lead minus Iris has been overrated. Misty and Brock, I could go on forever about them but I'll just say I find them overrated because they existed when Pokemon was at it's highest in popularity but I don't recall these two adding anything to what made Pokemon such a big hit in the first place. I like them both for what they were, but neither were the grand characters people make them out to be. Especially in the case of Brock, but again I like them both for who they were. Like I said anyone with a strong fanbase can be viewed as overrated. Some of my favorite characters have overrated traits too.

Iris is underrated. From what I have seen of the character she's not that bad at all.
    Last edited by Platinum fan.; 31st March 2016 at 5:08 PM.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham! Sereevee or Serevee equals Serena+Eevee!

Underrated: Iris.

Overrated:

Humans: Brock, Cilan (japanese fanbase), TR trio (also japanese fanbase), Misty (western audience).
    Pokemon: Ash's Charizard, Staraptor, Goodra, Dawn's Piplup

Underrated:

Humans: Iris, Cilan (western fanbase), Harrison, Morrison, Tyson, Tracey
    Pokemon: Ash's Hawlucha, some Unova mons (Pignite, Snivy, Krookodile) and Johto mons (Quilava, Bayleef, Noctowl), Jessie's Arbok, Seviper, James Cacnea, Weezing.

Overrated: Elite 4/Champions, Team Rocket (Japan loves them), Brock, Dawn, Dawn's Piplup, Ash's Staraptor, Ash's Buizel, Serena, Ash's Barney

Underrated: Ash, Ash's Kingler, AG team, Tyson, upper Gym Leaders & Frontier Brains, Iris
    "It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther...And then one fine morning -
    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

Quote Originally Posted by JudySpell View Post
    May seems underrated compared to Dawn and Serena. It's like no one likes her.
    That's pretty false considering may is PAD's waifu.

Cameron is underated.

#1 underrated person for me is Tracey. Poor guy got all the bad breaks: appearing in just one season, being shunted in favor of Brock returning to the show, barely appearing in the show in the many years since (apart from Pokemon Chronicles). Brock has been replaced twice since but with not the same degree of vitriol Tracey got. Tracey really isn't that bad a character, and he got to be part of a lot of great episodes, plus arguably the all-time best Pokemon movie.
    New shinies week of 4/14-4/21: klefki pumpkaboo
    New shinies week of 4/21-4/28:

Currently hunting/MM'ing: ; playing AlphaSapphire

I'm finally wireless! Friend codes: 4571-0519-1537, 4571-0519-6173
    I still need some codes! Please add me and PM me, I'd appreciate it.

Overrated: Bonnie(She's ugly, not cute. And pure annoying)
    And Alain
    And Chespin
    And J

Underrated: Tracey and Cameron
    Every other cast member > Clemont/Bonnie

Overrated: Bonnie, Dawn, Iris

Underrated: Tobias, Brandon

I already gave my thoughts on this somewhere else, so I might as well do it in here too:

Most overrated:
    Dawn: now don't get me wrong I enjoyed in Dawn character and whole depression she went through emerging from mother shadow, but way people praise her development and achievements acting like she has been superior female lead to everyone else is just pure blowing things out of her proportion.
    Because when you see frequently statements such as "best pokemon team, strongest skills, best development, best story, best dynamic with others etc, etc. It starts to give out impression of Dawn character being given a bit too much credit.

Dawn did had best development career wise. But did she really changed in personality sense as result of that? To give out impression how all those experiences, new people, pokemon struggles and new lessons she learned molded her as person developing new sides to her personality and changing outlook on life'

Not much still staying largely same cheerful and girly girl introduced from stat and whatever changes there did happen, I felt May and Misty matured much more as characters growing and evolving emotionally than Dawn had during her journey.

More over Dawn contest career while good for her growth in career sense was just worse version of contests AG saga introduced imo. Liking more competition and rules under which May played with battling rounds containing more tension, strategy and excitement than Sinnoh contests. Where all those flashy capsule balls, frequent dressing up and sparkles all around the place took away from intensity and heat of competition.

I general I liked it better when there was put bigger attention of battling and raw power of pokemon themselves(something May contests to extent had), compared to Dawn arc where too much emphasis was instead put on appeal rounds.

And yes sure you could say how DP stayed more faithful to what contests supposed to mean, but for me this only watered down appeal of such type of competitions.

Lastly I don't really think Dawn chemistry with Ash was so intricate and complex as many tend to say. It was good(in fact very good) but as far as im concerned it lacked that same level of depth, variety of feelings, charm, humor, drama and tension Ash had with May, and especially Misty. Making their friendship feel much more innate, realistic and endearing to follow.

Paul: he is my favorite rival Ash ever had and I appreciated greatly what his presence brought to DP series and Ash character in general managing to get under his skin.

But was he really superior in every possible aspect to all other rivals Ash ever had? Not really.

For once you can say all you want about Gary and way his rivalry with Ash was handled which can be excused given it came from OS when show was still very young with writers experimenting.

But Gary exuded with more emotion, personality and energy as character opening gate toward two way alley where communication between him and protagonist could flow resulting in more enjoyable dynamic, Not just helping Ash to grow as trainer, but also managing to grow himself through that journey as he built on friendship with Ash. Having overall better closure and more development than Paul had.

Most of all I don't think Paul is stronger trainer than Gary. Who was considered prodigy among young trainers, regularly defeated much older trainers than he was, relied on lot of tactic improvisations and strategy just like Paul but using different methods to accomplish his aims and went very far before he changed career. And even than fact that his Electivire managed to defeat for example Ash Pikachu who just two episodes earlier defeated Brandon Regiice says a lot about his strength as battler despite not even being anymore active trainer.

Most underrated:
    Misty- This is NOT me joking.

She is always considered as someone inferior in comparison to other girls like May/Dawn, even Serena, but Iris as well when it comes to girls just because she didn't collected some sorts of tokens when entering competitions(despite entering many tournaments like Princess festival, Kanto Flame athon race, Balloon race, tournament for Togepi, Acapulco contest, Whirl Cup, Seaking tournament, need I go on?). I already counted pretty much more competitions than what Iris and Serena entered, yet people just remember Whirl Cup passing out there as only event she entered apparently.

Her pokemon are often viewed as joke based on what I see on various sites and "extremely boring picks". Despite having one of most devastating forces out there Gyarados not needing to battle to earn its respect. With her strong personality and attitude being enough. Despite Psyduck being best enabler of humor and various embarrassing scenes with its unique escapades. Having extremely agile, resistant and very cool as far as im concerned in design pokemon like Staryu, Starmie etc.

Her skills as trainer are underestimated being considered weak trainer despite being gym leader already at such a young age with her talent and resourcefulness being noticed by various authorities like PIA inspector Joy, winning or coming high in several tournaments(coming top 8 in Whirl Cup which had higher number of participants than even Grand Festivals had) and beating much older and more experienced trainers(Dorian, Harrison, Georgio, Sylvester to name a few)..

There is also large misconception circulating around fandom of Misty not having any character development despite changing far more emotionally and in personality sense than any other Ash traveling companion(except May). In overcoming complex of feeling less worthy compared to sisters, becoming more open and compassionate toward friends and other people. Accepting her pokemon for who they are like Psyduck, becoming more independent and responsible better coping with new challenges, overcoming childhood trauma etc. But since her goal wasn't fleshed out much that apparently equals "not having any growth or achievements".

Speaking of which for some reason her dreams of becoming water pokemon master and desire to reach E4 member position are often ignored and discarded as ultimate failure.
    Which is shame because her passion and devotion toward water pokemon is admiring with no other character in this show being so attached and enthusiastic over one pokemon type like she was. Having unique dreams of learning as much as she can about them and life in oceans learning how to use them to full potential becoming water master. And possibly first E4 female in history specializing solely in water specie living up to her idol Lorelei from elite trainers.

With her story having mysterious touch to it and unpredictability allowing writers to take her through various directions growing forward(for example Whirl Cup was great way to dive deeper in meaning of water master and what this dream entails, but various other alternatives like what manga did with her and Suicune, passing tests to become E4 one day etc).Such dream not being fleshed out enough during time writers were less experienced and unsure of what they wanted from anime to become doesn't mean this career don't have potential to make creative arc out of it. More than pokemon performance had imo not being nearly as limited in what could be done.

In general I feel there is lack of any interest and appreciation for Misty role, support she gave to Ash development, anime humor, drama and lot of emotion her personality brought to series back in day or story she helped move forward through her strong willed nature and curiosity often being involved in various subplots in how to resolve mysteries, stop villains etc.

With first poke girl being at least I have such impression ;undervalued with there existing very small interest of her return in pokemon series, advancement of her own story and goals which were left unfinished and chance to be relevant in anime again.

Im speaking in present , because past and how much support she once had is irrelevant now.

Tracey: while he's not exactly definition of most vibrant and memorable character out there. Thing is he never had chance to be explored and developed to even decent degree. Tracey was main character for just 36 episodes never getting enough time to learn about his origins and family. From where does he come from, did he pursued other careers before becoming pokemon watcher, how he got his pokemon etc. Let alone having time to create meaningful story with his character and flesh out his pokemon, career and personality at all.

But if Tracey short stay in main cast and pokemon chronicles were something to go by, Tracey revealed to have potential and energy to deliver so much more than what he got with pokemon fandom never giving him fair chance.

He was immediately discarded as "inferior version of Brock with no personality or any unique traits" before he got even introduced in pokemon. In nutshell Tracey was hated and even nowadays still is just because he replaced much more popular character not giving writers even opportunity to make something concrete out of his creation and existence.

Which is shame because i thought Tracey was likable and full of mystery character who if had stayed for longer would allow to see more of his personality and interests shared with audience to grow in appreciating his good sides. I liked his obsession over prof. Oak, love he had for sketching and he had some pretty good interactions with Ash and Misty(especially in chronicles with those two having great dynamic filled with comedy, embarassment, support or annoyance caused by third party). And i found interesting his ambitions when it comes to sketching being pokemon watcher providing unique and different way to see someone utilize pokemon contributing to plot(as evidenced with Marill super hearing or Venonat excellent radar abilities).

Not to mention as neglected and underdeveloped as he was, Tracey at same time is the only character so far who accomplished his goal considering his dream was to become prof. Oak assistant in end becoming one. Which is p'retty cool when you think about it having at least one main character already living its dream.

Underrated: any number of people from BW. Cilan, Iris, Cameron, Trip, you name it.

#BringBackBW

Overrated: Ash, Gary, TRio, that ugly thing from the depths of the Hades (Ash' Oshawott)

Underrated: Misty, Tracy, Oshawotts that aren't Ash's
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast