20 42.55%
  • Type Master

11 23.40%
  • Other

6 12.77%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Least Favorite Goal and Why

Default Least Favorite Goal and Why

Okay, we've had our fair share of goals, some good some bad.

Personally, I really dislike pokemon master for one simple reason: it lacks a definition to it. Seriously, I get the hate performing gets, but at least it's defined. I feel the same way about type masters.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

Performing is gonna win this by a landslide man lmao

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post

Personally, I really dislike pokemon master for one simple reason: it lacks a definition to it. Seriously, I get the hate performing gets, but at least it's defined.
    Agreed, Pokemon Master as a goal is way too vague and has no way of determining how Ash is progressing towards that goal.
    The one type master trainer goals suffer the same fate as well, especially Misty's water type master goal since she hardly did anything that showed progress towards achieving it. At least with Iris it seemed like they focused on it a little more.
    Apparently Serena sucks, smh -_-
    Serena as a character>>>>>>>>>>Amourshipping
    Credit to Satomine Night for the banner

Performing.

The concept itself isn't bad (except for the part where for some reason boys aren't allowed??), but the anime didn't really execute the idea well...

Do you mean least favourite as in the last goal you want a cast member to have?

I guess Performer. It's uninteresting and just doesn't work as a last-minute goal. The writers executing it poorly didn't help as well.

Keeping Pokemon Master vague is fine, since the name of the game is flexibility and option. As soon as the writers decide to define what it is, then the are putting themselves in a corner for absolutely no reason. The writers will hold it off until they are sure what they want to do with Ash in the future.

Preformer. Little biased, but not my kind of thing( boys would agree), but it's candy eye for us. idk.

Performances were definitely the worst goal between the "main" protagonists (Ash + Poke girl), but obviously I would rather a poke girl be a performer than say, a doctor.

peformances were just too boring for me, imo. maybe if they were executed a little better i could have cared more, but after seeing contests in hoenn and sinnoh, they seemed like a huge letdown with the exception of the animation. the fact that they were female-exclusive and judged solely based on popularity from the fans didn't really help my view of them.

i would also say pokemon master due to its vagueness, but i'm pretty sure by now it's just a front for ash to continue visiting new regions.

Pokemon Breeder. Totally lacks action and thrill.
    Last edited by 345ash-greninja; 25th November 2016 at 8:54 PM.
    Ash×Serena- Amourshipping rules!
    A match made in heaven!

As much as I dislike Performances, being a Pokemon Watcher (ala Tracy) is just so confusing as a thing that I like to pretend Tracy doesn't exist.

I dislike Performances. I liked the first Showcase (where Serena cut her hair) and the second (where she won the first key), but other Showcases were boring.
    Master-Class Final Round doesn't make sense. You need the fanbase to win the Master-Class, really?

Well, I dislike Type Master. It lacks a definition to it, and it doesn't give Misty and Iris more screentime.

I think they're saving Pokemon Master's definition for the final series.. Who knows, but we will wait and see.

Showcases because they're sexist.
    猫に小判

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post

Personally, I really dislike pokemon master for one simple reason: it lacks a definition to it. Seriously, I get the hate performing gets, but at least it's defined. I feel the same way about type masters.
    It's not necessarily a bad goal just because it's undefined imo. It is ambiguous, but there will be a point where we can just look at Ash and say "He is a pokemon master", just like how we can say "Messi is a football master" even though the goal is undefined.

I would have to say Performer is my least favorite goal. I don't dislike the concept, but I'm not too keen on the details. The free performance is fine. It was (or should have been) fun to watch the Performers dancing with their Pokémon and coming up with new, unique ways to combine their Pokémon's moves to create a dazzling routine. However, many of the themed performances were irrelevant. The only one that was completely relevant was the fashion show. The Pokémon quiz gets a pass, since being knowledgeable on Pokémon is important for any Pokémon-related career. But Poképuff baking? Rhyhorn attracting? What in the name of Arceus do those have to do with performing?

That Showcases are female-only and there is no equivalent for males has always bothered me. I also strongly dislike the fact that a Performer's success is based almost entirely on her popularity. It's fine if the audience has some voting power, but there should be actual, knowledgeable judges to judge and critique performances, and their votes should have just as much, if not more, weight than the audience's.

(Banner made by me, Satomine Night)

A mother because let's face it, your kid is NEVER EVER going to permanently be at home. Plus, your husband is (conveniently) missing for whatever reason so you're all alone...

Paul's got no daddeh(bad attitude heh), Ash has a young as hell mom and uh..Brock's parents are goooooooooooone.
    http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/get-in-the-bag-nebby Make this the #1 meme of the year guys! NEBBIE NEEDS TO GET IN THE BAG!

I mean, at least Performing is an actual concrete, collection-type goal with its own end-of-series championship. The problem is how it was depicted with plenty of lost opportunities and how tailor-made it ended up being for Serena.

+1 to Performing.
    Thank you FairyWitch for the artwork!

Performing, because it wasn't benefitting either Pokémon nor Trainer. It was based on their looks and weren't entertaining. It was all sparkles with beautiful animation but no substance. You can't even explore the depths of Performing like you can with any other goal especially when there wasn't any built up tension at all.
    ~Certified Alan Apologist~
    Pikachu deserves the main character treatment he rightfully earned!

(Credit goes to Satomine Night)
    The enigmatic Bookworm & insightful Daydreamer:
    One prefers to keep to the sidelines out of danger, the other doesn't pay enough attention to sense the danger around her. Mao thrives in the face of chaos! Lillie shines in an organized setting.
    -Mao-Lillie friendship duo
    -Suiren: Full time big sister, part time kickasser, recommended for more screentime
    -Lillie will be Prof Kukui's live in assistant & bond with a lost Alolan Vulpix by chance
    -Ash will get character development and strives to be the best Ash like no Ash ever was...

Hmmm I'm going with pokemon breeder cuz honestly, it seemed very vague when Brock was doing that as his goal. Breeders on the show didn't do much in general and I felt that the goal should've had some kind of competition aspect to make it interesting.

Meh, performing was badly executed, but more from it's actual cast set and certain stipulations. It was at least partway developed and with a few tweaks and better theme gimmicks could be somewhat solid. I like having a goal that demonstrates a Pokemon's abilities without battling in any way, but they didn't quite compensate well enough.

Stuff like type master however has remained completely non specific and undeveloped in method, not really helping the respective characters gain an arc of any sort. So you like water types a lot, Misty. Gonna do anything unique with them outside a tournament?

Breeder has some credentials, but they're almost identical to doctor, so much Brock converted into the latter in the end. What could have made breeding unique was stuff a kids cartoon probably didn't want to look into.

Pokemon Master I'm almost tempted to believe is intentionally bad and unspecific so Ash can keep travelling and expanding. Shudo even stated it was meant to be a pipe dream goal Ash was meant to just get over when the Pokemon apparently revolted. But they didn't revolt, most of them in fact respect or want to be with Ash. Your mileage may vary whether Ash is already a true master. He understands Pokemon, their roots and their feelings and when and when not to capture one. I can't really mark that one down in such a case because in a way, it has played a lot into Ash's character development.

His league goal may amount to some specification, but even then I'd place that more as, well, a League Champion than a Master.
    Last edited by DatsRight; 26th November 2016 at 4:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze Master X View Post
    I dislike Performances. I liked the first Showcase (where Serena cut her hair) and the second (where she won the first key), but other Showcases were boring.
    Master-Class Final Round doesn't make sense. You need the fanbase to win the Master-Class, really?

Well, I dislike Type Master. It lacks a definition to it, and it doesn't give Misty and Iris more screentime.

I think they're saving Pokemon Master's definition for the final series.. Who knows, but we will wait and see.
    The whole purpose of it being vague is so the viewer can interpret it, and that Ash will always have something to aspire to since it's not a defined term. Though that raises the question of why they have him losing to tournaments if championship =/= master. Though maybe it actually does in the writers' minds, and THAT is the reason Ash always loses the Pokemon League
    Favorite Generation: V
    Favorite Pokemon per generation:
    Favorite type: Water
    Favorite team: Plasma
    First shiny: (search) (random) Beast Trio (event), (SR) (Trade) (Chain)

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    The whole purpose of it being vague is so the viewer can interpret it, and that Ash will always have something to aspire to since it's not a defined term. Though that raises the question of why they have him losing to tournaments if championship =/= master. Though maybe it actually does in the writers' minds, and THAT is the reason Ash always loses the Pokemon League
    XY really did feel like they purposely trivialised the league winner, Ash was definitely meant to look like a more respectable trainer than Alain.

Sun/Moon also plays into this, he goes to school just to learn more. Why? Because a Pokemon Master should learn anything they can about Pokemon. They can put him in any scenario with the simple excuse of his quest for knowledge to become a Master.

Type Master.
    The most boring goal. At least showcases have a definite way of becoming a Kalos Queen, even though the goal was handled pretty poorly. But type masters, yeah absolutely no progression can be made for them and they'll hardly receive any episodes if at all. And one "type master" didn't even stick to training purely within her type......
    Every other cast member > Clemont/Bonnie

Connoisseur/Connaisseuse. A goal that gives the person an excuse to be a know it all annoying prick, & there was no concrete way to see development with it (at least how the anime handled it).
    Weep, and you'll weep alone...
    ...laugh, and the whole world laughs too!

Thanks secret santa!

Performing is my least favorite goal since it puts too much emphasis on conventional cuteness and doesn't involve battling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast