View Poll Results: What's The 2nd Best League?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kanto League

1 2.50%
  • Johto League

10 25.00%
  • Hoenn League

17 42.50%
  • Unova League

2 5.00%
  • Kalos League

10 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Non-Sinnoh League Conference

Default Best Non-Sinnoh League Conference

What's the best League barring the SL (since that is nearly unanimously agreed on)?
    Peakachu Progression: Surge2 (Kanto) -> Drake (OI) -> Clair2 (Johto) -> Tyson (Hoenn) -> Brandon3 (BF) -> Tobias (Sinnoh) -> Alain3 (Kalos)

My Ash Pokémon win rates by Xenon Blue: http://www.serebiiforums.com/attachm...9&d=1507252188

"My ideals will shatter the truth of this world!"

Honestly, you just rectified the mistake I made. I'll choose Kalos. The League was shortened, sure, but top-class animation, two excellent two-parter rival battles, top quality opponents like Mega Charizard X, Ash-Greninja and Mega Sceptile battling makes it the second best League for me.
    Ash×Serena- Amourshipping rules!
    A match made in heaven!

Imgur.com

Ash's potential Alola ace!!!

As much as I enjoyed the Kalos League battles, with both of them being top 3 best battles IMO (3. Sawyer, 2. Alain, 1. Paul), the length of the league and the lack of Ash battles really deterred it. So Johto for me.

Kanto for its originality. Kalos is close second.
    Hey, the new subs I found do use Snowball. I win.

I enjoy writing.

Some people want to blend into the crowd.
    Some people want to stand out from the crowd.
    I want to be the crowd.

Currently patiently waiting for my crazy theories to pan out.

Spoiler:- THEORIES:

Taken from Serebii Episode pictures EP 928

Kalos for me. Shortened league was a major drawback, but the 6 vs 6 battles against Sawyer and Alain are some of the most intense battles with amazing animation. Infact, even though Ash vs Paul might be the best battle as a whole, best individual battles I would give to Ash Greninja vs Mega Sceptile and Ash Greninja vs Mega Charizard X.

I'm always changing my mind between Hoenn and Johto League but this time I'm choosing Johto because it had 4
    decent battles with special moments for Charizard/Bulbasaur/Squirtle while Hoenn had 2 good battles that had special moments for Swellow but lacked in quantity.

Johto League
    • Ash vs Harrison
    • Ash vs Gary
    • Ash vs Jackson
    • Ash vs Macy

Hoenn League
    • Ash vs Tyson
    • Ash vs Katie

Hoenn. We get to see Ash battling 6 trainers.Half of them were 6 vs 6 battles. Also, double battle in concept of teamwork was pretty cool.

Johto or Kalos. Johto suffered from the poor production values of the time, but it was fun and gave us a lot of cool battles. Kalos had incredible animation and two of the best battles of the anime IMO (Ash vs Alain and Shota), plus a pretty fun battle between Shota and Tierno. The downside was that that was pretty much it.

For the rest of them... I've always thought that Hoenn looks better on paper than it actually is. It divided up focus between Ash's Pokemon pretty nicely but the battles themselves weren't great, with the Morrison one being particularly awful. Unova only really had one good battle (Ash vs... the guy with the Sawk, I forget his name) and outside of Pikachu, Pignite and Krookodile none of his Pokemon got to shine. And Kanto kind of did its own thing.

Hoenn. Ash proved himself. Great league format. Plenty of battles. Strong trainers. If only it had XY production values.

While the HL looks compelling on paper, the JL battles had far better overall execution. Even though the HL had 3 full battles, vs Morrison was basically a glorified 6 vs 4 and every part of that battle barring Glalie vs Metang was trubbish to the point where it actually drops the overall quality of the league. vs Clark had decent strats but it still doesn't compare to vs Jackson (especially Bulbasaur vs Meganium). The HL also has no battle with the story build and payoff of vs Gary and also Charizard vs Blaziken was easily the best down to the wire climactic battle where Ash ends up loosing (KL take notes this is how you portray an incredibly close battle). Also was it just me or does the animation look better in the JL which is really disgraceful given that the HL happened afterwards.
    Peakachu Progression: Surge2 (Kanto) -> Drake (OI) -> Clair2 (Johto) -> Tyson (Hoenn) -> Brandon3 (BF) -> Tobias (Sinnoh) -> Alain3 (Kalos)

My Ash Pokémon win rates by Xenon Blue: http://www.serebiiforums.com/attachm...9&d=1507252188

Tough call between Johto and Hoenn, but I will give the slight edge to Hoenn. I would have said Kalos if it had a half-decent start.

I have to say Johto without a doubt. Gary was Ash's first real rival and we know how much Gary would basically torment and take shots at him. So to beat him in a league, it was a pretty huge deal at the time when it happened. Even Ash himself was basically stunned when he realized that he had just defeated Gary.

Credit for the banner goes to Satomine Night!
    - Also a member of ~Lillie Fan Club~ and Serena The Kalos Queen Fan Club, Serena4ever!

Johto's League was flawless, which is ironic since the saga as a whole sucked.

I chose Unova since I really liked how Ash and Pikachu looked up at the flame with determination and how they handled the loss. Next would be probably Kanto/Johto, Hoenn, and Kalos.
    ~Certified Alan Apologist~
    Pikachu deserves the main character treatment he rightfully earned!

(Credit goes to Satomine Night)
    Introducing Ash's next traveling companions: The enigmatic Bookworm & insightful Daydreamer
    Mallow-Lillie friendship duo; a bond so close, even the butler ships it!
    -Lady Lana: Full time big sister, part time kickasser
    -Queen Lillie and her duchess Vulpix will stick together, even without the initial intimacy
    -SM Ash will get character development and strives to be the best Ash like no Ash ever was...

Quote Originally Posted by DrLazyEyes View Post
    Tough call between Johto and Hoenn, but I will give the slight edge to Hoenn. I would have said Kalos if it had a half-decent start.
    Curious on how you would account for Ash vs Morrison. Considering that literally none of Ash's Pokémon barring Glalie come out looking better from it. First off we have Morrison basically giving away his first 2 Pokemon for free because he "doesn't want to fight his "friend"" (why couldn't he have this issue resolved before the match started is beyond me) turning the battle into a glorified 6 vs 4. Then you have Torkoal loosing to Steelix despite it having a previous sub-plot about overcoming that particular species. We also had Ash being keeping in Pikachu against a ground type when that was precisely what cost Pikachu in the last match (vs Dugtrio) which makes Ash look like someone who doesn't learn from mistakes. Grovyle's win is undermined by Steelix being fatigued and then apparently Morrison's Gligar is so amazing that it can not only take out Grovyle but also trade even with a Swellow that got 2 wins against better more experienced trainers (cuz wynaut). If they had done a proper 6 vs 6, Swellow could have gotten 1 more win in addition to the Gligar tie in order to stay more consistent and poor Torkoal could have gotten a win (which he really needed), but no they had to nerf Ash (both his Pokémon and his skill) in order to make a 6 vs 4 look competitive (I call BS if the intent here was that Morrison was just THAT good). Admittably Glalie vs Metang was a good battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Genaller View Post
    Curious on how you would account for Ash vs Morrison.
    He doesn't have to? Every league has its flaws, even Sinnoh.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    He doesn't have to? Every league has its flaws, even Sinnoh.
    Sure every league has "flaws". Vs Morrison; however, was a travesty 2nd only to vs Cameron. There are lvls/tiers of flaws and the Johto League for example doesn't have a flaw anywhere close to the lvl of vs Morrison. Also I find it amusing that you tend to take an increase in production values for granted with each series yet the JL had flat-out better aggregate production values than the HL (or at least HL's weren't any better) which you supposedly aren't accounting for. The format does look good on paper but the execution puts it decisively behind the JL.

Sure every league has "flaws". The format does look good on paper but the execution puts it decisively behind the JL.
    People have their reasons for liking something man. I don't think the Kalos League was the second-best league, but I can see why someone would like it. Likewise, Hoenn League had a number of good things.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    People have their reasons for liking something man. I don't think the Kalos League was the second-best league, but I can see why someone would like it. Likewise, Hoenn League had a number of good things.
    Sure I get why people liked it. Katie and Tyson were solid battles and vs Clark was also decent (though the other prelims were lack luster) though people don't account for how damaging the Morrison battle actually was to the overall league quality. I can even respect why someone would put it over the Kalos League (though TBH the Morrison battle was worse than any of the rushing that league had) though I can't say the same for an opinion that puts the HL over the JL. I completely agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but on the other hand all opinions are not equal. If you'd like we could do a side-by-side comparison of each JL battle with its corresponding HL battle.

I completely agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but on the other hand all opinions are not equal. If you'd like we could do a side-by-side comparison of each JL battle with its corresponding HL battle.
    I think you might be taking this a little bit too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by doofinc View Post
    I think you might be taking this a little bit too seriously.
    Passionate is my preferred term but probably yeah (though I don't believe it's "bad").

The Kalos League thanks to Alain.

Johto League.

Hmmm I'd say that the Johto League was the best tourney in general. :]

If we don't count Sinnoh, then it's a very tough choice between Johto and Hoenn for me, but I do give the slight edge to Hoenn since I found it slightly more memorable. But both were very solid.

Kalos could have been so much better. If it wasn't rushed and toned down the Pikachu and Greninja glorification, this could have a one of the better ones.

Kanto and Unova are just awful. I'd rather not speak about them. That's how bad they were.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast