Thread: Favourite 'Era Specific Personality'

Default Favourite 'Era Specific Personality'

Okay, while we've had several threads over regions as a whole, the issue of specific character depictions has came up a lot in arguments. So I decided to make this debate: When do you think each character was at their best?

This is mostly concerning characterisation, though feel free to add other factors such as Pokemon team, design and voice into the mix.

Naturally this will likely revolve mostly around the main five who have stayed throughout the series (ie. Ash, Pikachu and the Team Rocket trio), though if you do find differences in other characters during their brief returns within eras, you can include them too.

OS Ash and Team Rocket were at their best there imo.
    Misty was best in Master Quest.
    Brock was best in Kanto.
    May was best in the Battle Frontier and DP.
    Dawn was best in DP.
    Iris was best in BW season 2.
    Serena was best whenever she gets focus, especially in XY60.

Johto: Gary
    Chronicles: misty, Ritchie
    Movies: misty
    Advance: may
    Diamond & pearl: dawn
    XY the series: clemont in the early episodes
    Weep, and you'll weep alone...
    ...laugh, and the whole world laughs too!

Thanks secret santa!

Quote Originally Posted by HoundoomFan View Post
    Johto: Gary
    Chronicles: misty, Ritchie
    Movies: misty
    Advance: may
    Diamond & pearl: dawn
    XY the series: clemont in the early episodes
    Same for me except I would add Iris for BW and Serena for the later half of XY

I would prefer Ash get new reactions to situations other than yell demands or for Pikachu. Make a wise crack or something.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Make a wise crack or something.
    That sounds like something early OS era Ash would do. I miss him.

If they could make a composite of OS Ash and XY Ash we'd have something good going. I like how well XY put all his growth and competence on display since the show started, but I do admit he is kinda over idealised and dull. He needs that eccentricity and brashness to him, BW took this the wrong way and gave him the incompetent rookie part instead. I preferred Veronica Taylor's Ash voice as well, though Sarah Natochenny could be decent with as good direction and dialogue.

Add to that XY's more actionized Team Rocket battles alongside OS's more smartalecy chemistry equals perfect rivalry.

Pikachu's probably similar, I like his more easy going personality, but I miss him being cartoony and cute. He seemed to get over eclipsed by his fellow Pokemon in funny antics after a while. I like his leaner modern design though.

Team Rocket is again similar, though I admit XY has won me over a lot of the time with them, especially the first two seasons, when they were a perfect mix of bumbling/sympathetic and a proper threat. While OS still wins for spotlight episodes and just flat out hilarious moments from the trio (I have a slight preference for the finalised 4Kids voices as well), I like that XY tries to be a composite of all points of their development and, similar to Ash, puts on display all they've learned through these regions. It also kept the odd genuinely sinister moment akin to BW, because let's face it, we all love the rare times the laughing stock villain make the heroes crap their pants for once, which sparsely occurred beforehand.

I also liked how the early parts of both eras gave them funny banter with the heroes (though as mentioned, it tended to more from the companions than Ash in XY), shame it's just the usual "TEAM ROCKET! You won't get away with this!!!" otherwise.
    Last edited by DatsRight; 26th April 2016 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DatsRight View Post
    I preferred Veronica Taylor's Ash voice as well, though Sarah Natochenny could be decent with as good direction and dialogue.
    Sarah can't act. If she had voiced Ash from the beginning I wouldn't have watched any episodes.

Ash: OS-DP
    Misty: Kanto, Orange Islands
    Brock: Kanto
    Tracey: Orange Islands (kek)
    May: AG
    Max: Whenever he got focus in AG
    Dawn: First half of DP
    Iris: Either BWS1 or S2
    Cilan: BWS1
    Clemont: First quarter of XY
    Serena: From episode 50 onward in her focus episodes
    Bonnie: Same throughout XY(&Z)
    "Lying under such a myriad of stars. The sea’s black horizon. He rose and walked out and stood barefoot in the sand and watched the pale surf appear all down the shore and roll and crash and darken again. When he went back to the fire he knelt and smoothed her hair as she slept and he said if he were God he would have made the world just so and no different."

Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

See, I like AG Ash the best, good mix of humor and maturity along with growing skills, not to mention I loved his mentor status bump. Went from being a rookie himself to mentoring others.

Than it goes after

D/P Ash = XY Ash tied for second. I personally like mature Ash with good skills.

Kanto Ash for third than yah Best Wishes Ash.

Err um I don't know for the others.

I prefer Team Rocket Kanto - AG the best. With Brock I guess Kanto.

Iris hard to pin point, guess BW better than BW2. I just found her too egotist in BW2, am I the only one who saw this?

For May / Dawn / Serena I loved the entire series each.

Misty, forgot about her. Guess I found her better in Johto due to the fact that her attitude got better, I couldn't stand her in Kanto.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Original Series:Misty,Brock,Team Rocket,Gary Oak
    Advanced Generation:Ash Ketchum,May,Drew,Harley
    Diamond & Pearl:Paul,Hunter J,Barry
    Best Wishes:Georgia
    XY:N/A
    Last edited by PokemonBattleFanatic-; 26th April 2016 at 2:09 AM.

Paul's Wrecking Crew

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    Iris hard to pin point, guess BW better than BW2. I just found her too egotist in BW2, am I the only one who saw this?
    Maybe it's because Ash had regained some his competence by then. Iris was condescending early on, but at least had a point when Ash was an idiot. When she kept doing her shtick later on, it started to look more like flat out arrogance. Some might have appreciated it more by that time since the joke was on her and there were times others pointed out she was really just clueless.

I'd probably stick with Kanto era Misty however (maybe mid Kanto to compromise, she could be a jerk early on), she seemed more vibrant then, and I like when female characters can be as flawed and slapstick prone as the guys. Togepi was a fun depth for a while, but quickly in it seemed to cost Misty a lot of her personality as well as the use of her arms. :P Chronicles revived her a little however.
    Last edited by DatsRight; 26th April 2016 at 1:41 PM.

Well there's no point in listing anyone who haven't lasted for more than one series so by default May, Dawn, Max, Tracey, Iris and Cilan are out of equation.

So ill offer my thoughts for only Ash, Team Rocket, Brock and technically Misty. Since she did lasted for one more region , even though with way OS were written she needed at least one more to be properly fleshed out and explored.

So to start things of:
    Ash: while many enjoyed him most in Kanto era, and ill admit how his character was much more silly, vibrant and over the top with its personality during that period. Being very brash, arrogant, full of himself and naive. Thinking he knows best and radiating with sincerity and ignorance due to being unprepared for outside world.

For me Ash shined the most during Hoenn and Sinnoh series so far. I liked how much more mature, responsible for his acts and failures, as well wise he became. Becoming ready to pass over knowledge and all those tips and valuable experiences to younger generations such as May and Dawn, Being sorta like mentor to them, especially in May case and facing with much greater challenges set in front of him. Which made me feel more connected with Ash inner thoughts and feelings being proud of how much his friends, journey ands various pokemon influenced his views. Ash still possessed that same restless energy and spirit of wanting to discover world, new pokemon and improve as much as he can. As well radiating with that hotheaded, brash aspect of his, and ever so recognizable gluttonous nature at times still having his handicaps.

But at same time it felt like he grew and that maturity and new traits which came with it added more depth to Ash sole existence as pokemon trainer and kid who wanted ti explore whole world.

Jessie, James and Meowth: to some it may seem weird(because Jessie more serious involvement in contests gained her lot of popularity in Sinnoh), but im gonna say Kanto and Joto to extent. If anything than because their comedy, smart alec jokes and silly escapades had whole new dimension to it. Through all kind of more unique boss fantasies, moments of seeing them starving and fighting for last leftover or appearance of Wobbuffet much later testing Jessie patience. Resulting in subtle but noticeable development of her character in growing to tolerate and later care for this on first sight for her "useless pokemon".

This sagas also had also several episodes dealing with worth of Team Rocket and their place in pokemon series, making you feel sympathy and compassion for their characters and their in a way tragic backgrounds. Like Jessie remembering her days as kid and when she starved growing in orphanage, encounter with old friend Blissey and how tough her childhood was failing in all kind of careers kike nurse or forecaster. James running away from home and forced marriage wanting to live his own life and find his own place in world as person. Meowth admiring attempts to become more human like in order to win over heart from female side of his specie, just to end up brutally rejected.

Or their vain attempts to earn Giovanni partiality wanting o be recognized and respected members of TR. Bein even all that more doleful when they came to cognition of being fired from Team Rocket hearing it from TR recruiting scout. Feeling despondent, lost and filled with fear due to loosing their footing. Backbone which provided them sense of comfort and stability in their life due to this organization making them feel with sense of accomplishment and purpose in their lives.

All of this added for a very well done set of characters who had complexity, dimension to their relationship and amazing comedy in my opinion in there.

Brock: probably Hoenn/Battle Frontier. I spoke about this quite a few times in past, but I enjoyed in Brock character there quite a lot. Because minus character interactions which were with Misty in equation filled with much more variety, drama, tension and brewing flare. Having perfect level of understanding and a genuine friendship together.

Brock still functioned really well in terms of emotions and his personality. Feeling like his friendship with Ash fermented over time becoming more compact. AS noticed in offering himself to be sparring partner helping him in training or talking about their past adventures to May and Max, In how well Brock managed himself in company of new girl accompanying May on her shopping streaks, giving her tips regarding cooking and how food is prepared. Or supporting her during contest rounds.

Most of all presence of Max really did helped his character to have someone with similar affinities to bounce of. Feeling like not just Ash, but Brock himself became sort of mentor in teaching Max and giving him advice regarding pokemon battles, navigating etc. With Max starting to see in him role model, someone to look up to. Although same could be said for Ash as well.

Brock as character and his story as pokemon breeder seemed to be gaining upper hand over there too. Reflecting on his own characterization showing lot of responsibility and consideration toward Ash and others acting like voice of reason over there. Someone to look after them and warn them of danger . As well gaining new knowledge and increased awareness of how pokemon function discovering how to be better caretaker than he already was.
    With this conception in mind i feel his best moments came when being involved in fields where he could put his wisdom and acquisition to full potential, whether its taking care of sick pokemon like poisoned Sharpedo with which he spent whole night, injured Bagon, Nuzleaf. Solrock defending him against angry villagers, etc. Emphasizing on his caring heart and natural love he held for pokemon and profession he pursued.

Another equally important thing for me was in Brock finally beginning to find common language with his disfunctional family and how much more trusty he became of his brother Forest in knowing he is ready to pass over his torch as gym leader to someone else. Being proud of his younger brother,. Which began to be explored at end of Johto in chronicles but wasn't quite there, followed by his encounter with him again when Pewter gym was under attack with relationship being more solidified.

Misty: like I said many times before. Unlike some I never had impression that Misty personality and characterization took plunge in quality. I enjoyed in her impatient, at times condescending and violent outbursts just as much, as I enjoyed in her more caring, playful and romantic, more sensible side being showed at times.

She in general had stronger character than other female leads imo filled with lot of emotions, definable traits and flaws which made her likable. Whether it was her confidence, bravery or loyalty she knew how to bring out to surface reaction from others, add balance and create colorful interactions containing fire and originality.
    With sad past of growing in repression and deconstruction of her confidence in company of older siblings, lack of understanding and absence of parents. Followed by whole storm of conflicts going in side her in being too proud to ask for help, but at same time being aware she needs others in her life. Feelings she began to develop for Ash or what water pokemon and calling to become water pokemon master fighting for her place under the sun Seaking for respect and recognition adding lot of depth and complexity to her character.

And her maturity and growth she radiated with as character over time only helped to drag out on surface more of her redeemable traits she had as character giving to us as viewers reason to feel more invested and connected with her hardships and tough work she went through as person and trainer.

With newborn traits like like pride, slight arrogance, more playful nature and independence meshing with older sides which h formed her personality like sassy, hotheaded and quirky nature complimenting well her evolution as person. As evidenced by big transfomation she went through as far as emotions go when comparing Misty from early Kanto days to how she expressed her personality and thoughts at end of Johto and Hoenn. Becoming great and reliable friend full of love and care. Stronger trainer and more self critic and aware of her on flaws person.

So in nutshell Misty was at her best in my opinion during whole OS(Kanto, Orange Islands and Johto), as well chronicles and Hoenn appearances.

Because each stage of her journey offered something new to discover about here as character adding to her depth and helping for character to remain fresh due to changing and growing as person.

Quote Originally Posted by DatsRight View Post
    I'd probably stick with Kanto era Misty however (maybe mid Kanto to compromise, she could be a jerk early on), she seemed more vibrant then, and I like when female characters can be as flawed and slapstick prone as the guys. Togepi was a fun depth for a while, but quickly in it seemed to cost Misty a lot of her personality as well as the use of her arms. :P Chronicles revived her a little however.
    While Togepi represented wasted potential and it should have evolve earlier playing more important role in Misty story. Its very own presence didn't in my opinion damaged Misty integrity and value she had in characterization. If anything Togepi served as catalyst through new responsibility and experience it played in Misty life to awaken seemingly dormant personality traits residing in Misty character. Traits which were often overshadowed by excessive temperament outbursts and judgmental nature of hers. Such as fact of being big dreamer, passionate lover of oceans and water pokemon. Her touch she had for romance and that optimistic, cheerful side of hers. Brimming with fighting spirit, tendency to joke through use of sarcasm and restless, never give up attitude mirroring Ash in lot of ways during their Johto adventure. Enjoying in rivaling themselves out and challenge their own opinions recalling to their rocky starts and how their friendship started in early Kanto days.

Now I admit how Misty at times did felt shafted and left out of loop during Johto middle period(her development was going pretty well in Orange Islands and Johto start) when series strayed away from its initial path and original story writers attempted to told in there(until lot of plots ended up dropped ending in blind alley).

But her character, importance and storyline definitely received resurgence and managed itself to pick up during Master Quest and later chronicles shining in her full glory like she used to do during kanto days. But now as smarter, more wise and enriched with new experiences and temptations she faced as character. With Togepi helping her to mature and sort out what kind of person she really wants to be. Maturity which added more depth and substance to character keeping her appeal and value . While gaining some new fresh quirks and traits to already existing ones making her more realistic and fun to follow for me preventing from turning in static collection of gags and gimmick of character.

So I think Misty always brimmed with lot of character, but at different times different aspects of her were showcased with right balance between her older and new personality traits being found eventually.

I'd have to say "OS Ash" was probably Ash at his best for me. He was a flawed character, but in the right sort of way. He wore his heart on his sleeve and was passionate about his goal, and could be childish, stubborn, spoilt, immature and hot-headed. "Sinnoh Ash" was also good though because at that point it almost seemed like we were finally seeing him grow into a more competent Pokemon Trainer. Nowadays, unfortunately, Ash might as well just be nameless and faceless. A bland placeholder for the viewer/ game player.

I wont go too in depth about Misty as I have mentioned it fairly recently and I don't want pokemon fan 132 to write another essay, but I feel like she was a great character at the start of her run before basically losing her edge. Not dissimilar to Ash really.

I thought the Brock character worked best in the original series as well. He provided a great level-headed balance to the original trio as the older/ more mature guy, the cook, the navigator, etc. It worked well. The problem was, as is always the case, the writing. His goal wasn't exactly "measurable", and I've noticed more measurable goals certainly help characters. Unfortunately his character did tire and become stale. In fact, there hasn't been a well done "male travelling companion" since "OS Brock".

Again, Team Rocket were at their best during the original series. Because everything was "newer" then and, frankly, more original, it worked. Plus they were very funny. Unfortunately they just keep doing the same things again and again. As if often the case with this anime, the writers overdid it, and it reached the stage where they were appearing for the sake of appearing, even when it didn't add anything to the story, and they have now became a source of annoyance and a symbol of all that is wrong with this series.

I can't think of anymore characters who appeared in multiple series and are worth mentioning.

Team Rocket I feel got too streamlined around the end of Johto. They were always bumbling, but they were still big stars through most of the OS, and most of their plans were versatile and held up throughout an episode despite their incompetence (the more cartoony universe helped a bit). It was only around Hoenn I remember nearly every damn plan being filler amounting to 'TR Pokemon make two attacks and miss, hero Pokemon make two attacks and land, Pikachu thundershocks and blasting off again.' Their versatility as characters was also lost in that era. They just existed to be losers to make the rest of the cast look better. All their complexity and personality was thrown out the toilet to just be straight up punching bags.

I think this aspect also got a bit damaging to the heroes as well. The trio were TOO pathetic against them. No one really roots for a hero smacking around a pitiful underdog villain with no effort at all. You started wanting the trio to get an edge over them, at the very least break Ash's team out of their condescending front. This was bad because the heroes were not set up to be heroic antagonists you didn't have to care for like, say, the Road Runner. You were still meant to be invested in their travels and challenges otherwise. That Ash's team became increasingly less game to more comical pathos and antics themselves didn't help. They restricted the moods between the two teams too much, making the heroes too dull and the trio too obnoxious.

Sinnoh had them in the same rut as villains, though at least made up for it by reviving a lot of their non-villain development with a fair few spotlight episodes that were almost on level with Kanto's. Letting them get dark horse victories in contests and legitimate face offs also spiced things up a good deal. It probably added the most development on them being talented characters who merely chose the wrong career, to the point of almost giving a bit of progression and earnest accomplishment. They were actually exceptionally good at things now, even developing potential careers for themselves individually.

Unova I think was an attempt to rectify the repetition of their villainy, but went too far and in the same one note path as they dialled back Ash. The arc itself wasn't bad on paper. I liked them actually working with Giovanni and the organisation itself and having long running schemes, and the trio instilling proper dread into Ash's team and making them work and sweat for a victory for once is still cathartic. It's just that ultimately, giving the trio a 'funectomy' and taking out all their humour and pathos just seems so wrong. It also made the execution a lot blander. Surely adding the goofball sympathy to the mixture would have made it more interesting that they'd finally made it to the top.

Kalos (and the closing points of BW) tried to make a good compromise, basically making them a mixture of Sinnoh and Unova. It's a good mix, we get the trio being goofy and loveable again but still posing a bit of a threat AND getting in some entertaining punch clock activity. It lacks some of the depth of the other eras however. There's not really any big ongoing plots like in Unova and while there are SOME fun spotlight episodes, they're more sparse than in Kanto and Sinnoh. They're sadly also leaning into the same repetitive face-offs as the Hoenn and Sinnoh era, especially since XYZ rarely even plays up their more threatening streak anymore. A shame it was fun while it lasted, and I do kinda like how there's vague emphasis they've still improved their position from the first three eras rather than just a full reset. Similar to Ash, it kinda spotlights how much experience they've gained all this time.
    Last edited by DatsRight; 27th April 2016 at 12:26 PM.

Ash was the best from start of OS-end of DP because he actually felt like a dynamic character - one who improved as a trainer, and matched that with his personality becoming more mature and mellowed out by Sinnoh. One could also headcanon he was silently 'aging.'

BW Ash was terrible and didn't fit post-DP. XY Ash jumps too forward from his 'reset' post-BW self, but at the same time there's little continuity to any of his past regional journeys, so his character just seems disconnected to everything that happened before.
    "Lying under such a myriad of stars. The sea’s black horizon. He rose and walked out and stood barefoot in the sand and watched the pale surf appear all down the shore and roll and crash and darken again. When he went back to the fire he knelt and smoothed her hair as she slept and he said if he were God he would have made the world just so and no different."

Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

XY Ash I thought kinda worked as an evaluation of everything the kid has done in four+ regions. Everyone in Kalos seemed rather stunned how much he was capable of within his first few days. It was like all his travels and hardships had made him near superhuman.

Oh, almost forgot about poor Wobbuffet. XY probably wins for him. Not only is he more powerful and active, he seems more expressive and observant rather than just a full time dim and vacuous gag character. His loyalty (and occasional fear and exasperation) towards Jessie is seen more often, as well as more interactions with the rest of the team, particularly Meowth.
    Last edited by DatsRight; 27th April 2016 at 3:40 AM.

OG-DP: Ash, Brock, and Jessie and James, and Meowth
    Pikachu, his personality was at his best in Kanto. Snapping his finger when Team Rocket was revealed to being alive still after being thought to have drown and the ketchup. He's still my second favorite of Ash's Pokemon, but Charizard beats him anyday.
    Also like to add Butch and Cassidy

Johto-DP: Gary, liked how he progressed from an unlikeable *** to becoming a friend to Ash and showing respect during Johto.

AG: May and Max, THIS is how siblings should act they annoy each other but they still care and love each other that said I don't want a younger sibling tagging along ever again.

DP: Dawn, who else? Paul, Barry, and Cynthia were also great.

BW: Cilan, he's one of the few things I loved about BW. Aside from Krookidile, Charizard's return, and Don Tournaments

XY: Serena, Ash, and Team Rocket. So glad THE main characters are back to their rightful form and Team Rocket is back to showing love for their Pokemon instead of being drones like in BW(THAT was my problem with BW TR, not them being serous). And Gourgeist and Inkay have the best relationship with the TRio out of all the old Pokemon imo, Wobbufett excluded of course as he's the fourth member of their group. And I thought a female character would never be able to live up to the standards Dawn left, she'd be the best if her goal was properly handled........ hope a character can live up to Brock's someday.
    Every other cast member > Clemont/Bonnie

Quote Originally Posted by Zoruagible View Post
    XY: Serena, Ash, and Team Rocket. So glad THE main characters are back to their rightful form and Team Rocket is back to showing love for their Pokemon instead of being drones like in BW(THAT was my problem with BW TR, not them being serous). And Gourgeist and Inkay have the best relationship with the TRio out of all the old Pokemon imo, Wobbufett excluded of course as he's the fourth member of their group. And I thought a female character would never be able to live up to the standards Dawn left, she'd be the best if her goal was properly handled........ hope a character can live up to Brock's someday.
    I admit I like how the XY TR Pokemon have all these nice little moments and shots that show them to be more buddies with each other rather than just battlers on hire for the two trainers. Compare to say, Ekans/Arbok and Koffing/Weezing, who made clear they couldn't care less about Meowth or the other Pokemon on their team if it weren't for their loyalty to Jessie and James and seemed a bit bland besides that one depth, all four XY TR Pokemon have individual personalities and seem to like being around each other besides their job.

In fact XY does a decent job showing most Pokemon interact more as characters, even ones that aren't with the same trainer. Usually only the Pikachu shorts provided glimpses of this.
    Last edited by DatsRight; 28th April 2016 at 6:45 PM.

Ash ~ Diamond & Pearl. Or really, everything up to that point. But DP the most because it felt like a culmination of the character. He was the same at his core, but things like arrogance or his more childish traits had either dwindled or completely died off, making him feel like he was growing up. He was more confident and sharp when it came to battles, and even played the mentor role at times in light of his experiences. More than ever he stood up for his passions regarding Pokemon as he tried to match Paul, and there was a sort of sensitivity and patience to the way that he raised his team to meet that challenge (furthering the sense of maturity).

Team Rocket ~ Despite disliking the era as a whole, I actually rather enjoyed them in Best Wishes. I liked that they were finally allowed to mind their own business, and actually work for Team Rocket. They had various missions which they took and performed seriously, and every so often we'd still get some laughs or sequences where they weren't completely stoic. It felt almost as if you had taken the more sinister seeming Team Rocket from their very first appearances, and done more with it.
    Last edited by Emperor Empoleon; 29th April 2016 at 3:31 AM.

Maybe that's the problem with DP Ash though, most of his vices and fallibility had dwindled by that point. I've never been big on culminating characters arcs by having them grow out of most of their defining flaws and become rather dull.

I feel a great Team Rocket would be a composite of BW and XY. As in having big arcs and some connection to the actual organisation, but still being somewhat comical about it (note comical doesn't have to be incompetent, fallible maybe, but they can still be effective despite it). While they got SOME laughs in BW they were too subtle for me. They didn't feel the same. Even just some stuff like them struggling not to pratfall or blow their cover around the twerps during Operation Tempest would have been funny, something to make you feel a bit sorry for them like usual.

Something like them spending most of their filler stories doing small time comical attempts at stealing Pikachu, and then being called in for some long running invasion or project by Giovanni every now and then would make for good variety, and I think would downplay many fan's annoyance with them.