View Poll Results: when did the anime jump the shark?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • jhoto saga

2 5.71%
  • advanced saga

1 2.86%
  • DP saga

3 8.57%
  • BW saga

20 57.14%
  • when Ash leaved to charizard in charizific valley

0 0%
  • when misty leaves the serie

3 8.57%
  • when brock leaves the serie

1 2.86%
  • when tobias defeated ash

3 8.57%
  • when cameron defeated ash

2 5.71%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: when did the anime jumped the shark?

Default when did the anime jumped the shark?

i would like ask you, in your opinion żwhen did the anime jump the shark ? or in the pokemon case "jumping the sharkpedo"

It hasnt yet?

Oh hey Ash is in this new reigon, full of energy ready to take on the world, I can't wait to see how he -

Did he just lose to a SNIVY?

During Best Wishes.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122
    Now accepting single battles!

Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    Yup:

Original meaning: Deus Ex Machina

Serebii : Didnt Enjoy Much.

When the series arent even close to being connected, I have a hard time saying it has "jumped the shark", since the series after it can still be good.

Had BW not happened tho, Tobias would prolly have made me quit in all honesty.
    Last edited by phanpycross; 9th April 2015 at 9:31 PM.

When the series arent even close to being connected, I have a hard time saying it has "jumped the gum", since the series after it can still be good.

Had BW not happened tho, Tobias would prolly have made me quit in all honesty.
    Honestly im shcoked I still stuck around after the kick in the balls that was Tobais and the 134 episode blue balls that was BW

BW for sure. That saga ruined dreams and made children cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Soniman View Post
    Honestly im shcoked I still stuck around after the kick in the balls that was Tobais and the 134 episode blue balls that was BW
    Honestly, Id say that I would prolly have quit had the seires kept going like DP. Brock ruined, TR ruined, Ash being blander than a bag of old rice. Paul and Dawn were pretty good, but those two were not gonna stick around anyways.

For me it was Best Wishes season 2, right after Dawn's guest appearance starting with the League and Episode N and DA were a bit of a disappointment as well. BW season one was pretty good if you overlook the fact that Ash lost all his development that he was getting up until the 1st episode of BW.

Dawn Fanclub ~Credit goes to Cresselia92~ N Fanclub

I'd say after AG ended. DP's only redeeming factor was Dawn in my opinion. I'm not a fan of BW or XY.

"jumped the gum"
    *Jumped the shark. What's the gum?
    Last edited by Bill Cipher; 9th April 2015 at 9:26 PM.

I can even tell what you're thinking right now

When Ash released charizard to that forsaken valley.

The dub was initially good for 3 years after Misty left, since 4Kids was still around, but once they left, things went downhill. With no return of Misty in sight, all I can do is just rewatch old episodes. I would have rather ended the series than not to keep Misty as a main character. I think after XY is over they should end it. Pokemon doesn't need an anime to support it, most video game series do fine without one (case in point: Mario).
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    Though I die, La Resistance lives on

Being entirely honest, XY 71's plot summery is so dumb, I would almost list up there with the rest of the options on the poll.

Honestly Ash's power and maturity was always doomed to reset each arc even since the advance arc with his Pikachu going from fighting things like Drake's Dragonite to losing to middling opponents in Hoenn and he has always been the type to make the same mistakes over and over. Still BW was especially dismal. The plot has always been something which falls apart if you really question it since its inception.

The first instance would be that writing decision to change the show with a definite ending to one whose ending would take years (in fact it's almost hitting two decades) to reach with no clear end in sight. That inevitably hurt the series in mid-Johto and led to Misty's departure.

The second instance would be to not follow up on Ash's victory of the Battle Frontier and offer as a Frontier Brain. Show could have fast-forwarded to a future mini-arc where older Ash, after several years as a seasoned Frontier Brain, finally defeats the E4 and Champion.

The third instance was to not have Ash win the Sinnoh League and getting trolled by Tobias (though it made Ash look good). Show could have fast-forwarded to a future mini-arc where older Ash, after having won several league championships, finally is read to defeat the E4 and Champion.

The final and arguably the place where the anime really jumped the shark was the entirety of Best Wishes that took a dump on all the development that happened before. The anime could have just built from Ash's SF place at Sinnoh to victory at the league here.
    "It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther...And then one fine morning -
    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    The first instance would be that writing decision to change the show with a definite ending to one whose ending would take years (in fact it's almost hitting two decades) to reach with no clear end in sight. That inevitably hurt the series in mid-Johto and led to Misty's departure.

The second instance would be to not follow up on Ash's victory of the Battle Frontier and offer as a Frontier Brain. Show could have fast-forwarded to a future mini-arc where older Ash, after several years as a seasoned Frontier Brain, finally defeats the E4 and Champion.

The third instance was to not have Ash win the Sinnoh League and getting trolled by Tobias (though it made Ash look good). Show could have fast-forwarded to a future mini-arc where older Ash, after having won several league championships, finally is read to defeat the E4 and Champion.

The final and arguably the place where the anime really jumped the shark was the entirety of Best Wishes that took a dump on all the development that happened before. The anime could have just built from Ash's SF place at Sinnoh to victory at the league here.
    Pretty much.
    /thread

Signature Credit: The Comet

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    Even worse is that the games had a built in excuse for Ash to not have to win the League in order to become the hero yet still be seen as improving his skills. They could have had the League be interrupted by Team Plasma and had Ash befriend Zekrom and beat N and Reshiram, making him a hero before moving on.
    Team Rocket will pay for their crimes.

In my personal opinion, and since I only watch the show as just another TV show, there's no point the show has "jumped the shark", thus I didn't vote.

Also, I'll say that I'm really not surprised at all by the current results of the poll.

Claimed by me!

I feel like the term " Jump the Shark " is like " Mary Sue ". At one point it was a term that meant something, but it has been both so widely misused by fans who have grown to become more critical and subjective since some people would still find the show enjoyable after that incident that it has lost its original meaning.

Jump the Shark marks the point were the writers get desperate and do something outrageous in hopes of attracting viewers. Instead it leads to a rapid decline in the quality and viewership of the show and ultimately it's cancellation. By that definition it has not happened to Pokemon. Viewership has remained relatively stable over the years.

I do not believe that the anime has jumped the shark. There are still people who find the current anime and even older, controversial, parts of the older anime enjoyable. I do believe that the quality of the anime fluctuates depending on certain decisions made by the staff. Fortunately, given the forgiving structure and nature of the anime universe almost any mistake can be rectified.

Every saga has their high and low points.

Some more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    Jump the Shark marks the point were the writers get desperate and do something outrageous in hopes of attracting viewers. Instead it leads to a rapid decline in the quality and viewership of the show and ultimately it's cancellation. By that definition it has not happened to Pokemon. Viewership has remained relatively stable over the years.
    Darn, XY was so close to accomplishing this with Serena's crush on Ash. Oh well, I still think Ash's BW regression counts.

I feel like the term " Jump the Shark " is like " Mary Sue ". At one point it was a term that meant something, but it has been both so widely misused by fans who have grown to become more critical and subjective since some people would still find the show enjoyable after that incident that it has lost its original meaning.
    Brutally honest, I don't even see "jump the shark" nowadays.

Jump the Shark marks the point were the writers get desperate and do something outrageous in hopes of attracting viewers.
    Charizard's pointless return in BW? Serena's crush in XY? Pretty sure those two are moves partly done to grab attention and views.

All the series prior to BW always had Ash growing. The Elesa and Roxie battles, the dreadful Unova League, oddly-paced Episode N, and the pointless DA just felt like the show really was dropping in quality and not going anywhere unlike how it used to build up to something.
    "It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther...And then one fine morning -
    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

IDK, I got bored of the anime when DP started.
    A Misty day in May, where the Dawn peaks, and the Iris's flow so Serena.

I do not believe that the anime has jumped the shark. There are still people who find the current anime and even older, controversial, parts of the older anime enjoyable. I do believe that the quality of the anime fluctuates depending on certain decisions made by the staff. Fortunately, given the forgiving structure and nature of the anime universe almost any mistake can be rectified.

Some more than others.
    I agree, as many problems as this anime has (for me anyway) I don't think it's jumped the shark...yet. Something tells me it never truly will as long as they keep making Pokemon games and just repeat the same formula over and over.

I'd say they'd jump the shark if they like brought back Brock and Misty forever on the main cast after all these years. That would be a desperate attention grabber XD
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham! Sereevee or Serevee equals Serena+Eevee!

the Unova saga, now granted I lost interest in the anime after the original series only watching now from time to time out of sheer boredom, however, Unova was undeniably the worst saga for reasons I shall not go into cause then it would look too much like 1 big complaint
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    for those of you who are interested here is my link to my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pokedigijedi

Trade shop: pokedigijedi's bounty board
    3DS FRIEND CODE: 4382-2152-1254 friend safari type: poison pokemon ariados, kakuna, and muk. please don't take too long too add me it drives me crazy and I will delete your friend code

Complaints over pokemon deteriorating in creativity and strength of story started long before Best Wishes happened with soft reset happening there only serving as trigger to release pent up disappointment and frustration many fans held for anime over the years.

I remember many people felt how pokemon started to decline in quality once GS ball got dropped with journey stagnating in Johto, when Misty left the main cast being replaced, when 4kids VA were replaced etc.

And i especially share same sentiment about Misty removal announcing gradual decline when looking at pokemon anime story as whole(not individually but in long run taking all sagas and their conectivity in account).

Granted while removal of one fictional character contributing to pokemon going south in terms of appeal and quality may be hasty claim and exaggeration to some. Regardles of how much popular and appealing Misty character was with her strong headstrong natiure, sarcasm, manneurisms and various insecuroties. Complimenting well adenture aspect pokemon anime promoted and emotional tuch shr brought to it making things very lively. Let alone disappoointment over her unfinished story, untold feelings, open dreams of becoming water pokemon master and identity her presense alone brought to group dynamic and story.

Misty removal was actually lightswitch in pokemon starting to follow direction of abundant cast replacing which proved to be in my opinion detrimental for this anime future and any sense of destination this show tried to reach.

Denying pokemon anime of stable cast, better on going plot , actual development of friendship between companions and more compact story. Since like its case with other anime out there like One Piece, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Rave, DBZ,Naruto etc we would have established cast with already created groundwork going forward developing in more substantial way, experience growth of their friendship allowing for more fresh, endearing dynamic, with more continuity filled storyline allowing to transfer it to multiple regions building up on it.

Unlike its case now having series full of scattered growth, constant resets and rehashes of what we saw before with no real continuity or history behind itself.
    Something which constant character replacing caused discouraging people from investing in characters when its already known from start how they will end up forever abandoned and unfinished after departure anyway.

Promoting uncreative writing since writers don't have to think of new innovative ideas to keep things fresh and give more depth to someone story, choosing rather easier way of sweeping issues under the rug rather than directly facing them . Basically instead they give to us rinse and repeat in form of new companion sticking with same formulaic pattern we experienced before since they aren't forced and motivated to write story and characters in deeper manner. Unlike it would be case with well known, stable cast having to change their approach and current formula at some point to maintain viewers interest and keep them loyal toward show.

Ever since character replacing on permanent level started i feel pokemon lost any concrete sense of progression, build up on already existing friendship and development with this anime which i felt had massie potential to tell thrilling, memorable adventure. Suffering from poor and relatively simple plot since it changes cast way too often to allow for more structured storyline.

With many overlooking how even if original cast stayed, we could had potentially better story and development made with few, very well fleshed out charaters and dreams delivering interesting arcs, innovative tasks to overcome and twists. Instead of what we got in end; fragmented pieces of started journey and development with bunch of character with no one reaching its full potential.

And ever since formula of dump and repeat began to live after Misty departure this only deepen anime current issues leading to chain of undesirable events lowering appeal of this show. For many people out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    I agree, as many problems as this anime has (for me anyway) I don't think it's jumped the shark...yet. Something tells me it never truly will as long as they keep making Pokemon games and just repeat the same formula over and over.

I'd say they'd jump the shark if they like brought back Brock and Misty forever on the main cast after all these years. That would be a desperate attention grabber XD
    Forever? Maybe.

But for one more region having them travel together or season. Either to go in line with possible release of first generation games in 3D format, or dedicating very last seasonpof pokemon series to Misty and Brock reunion with Ash going on one more adventure together after so much time exchanging exeriences, showing to each other how far they came and work toward accomplishing more complex steps in achieving dreams in together company?

Having some sort of things coming full circle woluld be i find logical and very gratifying way for everyone who actually likes Misty, Brock and original trio as whole. Wanting to see them together again.
    Being more like investing in successful cast doing follow up of their story and character relationships.

Not talking about serebii of course, in here thats not the case.

Other anime has done this and are doing it. Most fresh example is Digimon doing for 15th annoversary not just one small season(like i suggested in pokemon case)but whole series acting as sequel to very first Digi Destioned group paying attention to roots and taking very first characters in whole new direction from where they stopped.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 10th April 2015 at 8:43 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast