View Poll Results: Most Underused GL in the TV Show?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Erika

9 29.03%
  • Koga

3 9.68%
  • Falkner

0 0%
  • Bugsy

2 6.45%
  • Wallace

4 12.90%
  • Marlon

13 41.94%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gypped Gym Leaders

Default Gypped Gym Leaders

Which Gym Leader do you think got the short end of the stick the most in the Show

I'm gonna go with Erika. Not only was she a glorified COTD, but a bland one without much screen time either. She looked & acted nothing at all like her game or manga counterparts, and refused to fight Ash for petty reasons ("You don't like perfume? Then *beep* off!"), only to GIVE him her badge. (Sure, he saved her Gloom, but it still felt really cheap.)

I know the producers didn't care much for the (non-companion) Kanto Gym Leaders, but--DAMN!

Following very close behind is Marlon who was also a glorified COTD who was only in half his episode and lost to friggin' Kotetsu of all people.

3rd Place: Koga, whose house was more interesting than him, and his battle with Ash was practically an afterthought.

How about you guys?
    Time to show some sympathy towards Gym Leaders the producers certainly didn't care about. (And if you're thinking about someone not in the poll, feel free to talk about them too)
    Last edited by Jangobadass; 15th January 2015 at 12:26 AM.

Janine. Should have had the bae show up in BF but they never took that opportunity.

Signature Credit: The Comet
    My Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Dark/Legendary Master View Post
    Janine. Should have had the bae show up in BF but they never took that opportunity.
    The tragic part is that they HAD an opportunity when Ash-tachii stopped by a Ninja school (on their way to Fuchsia City no less!)

Good lord was Erika just forgetable, Most COTD's were more interesting, althrough that prolly wasnt much to do with her character, they still found the worst way possible.

Not seeing Janine was a shame, not to mention she had an ariados, my favorite regional bug-type. I guess his appentice Aya could be the closest thing we got, and they did both have a a member of the venonat line, but it still doesnt cut it IMO.

Koga should have done more, he so badass, use him for something good ffs.

I don't know why anyone would say Wallace when he had an entire story arc named after him in DP. Sure we didn't get to see Ash battle him, but Wallace in the anime was more of a Top coordinator than Gym leader anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I don't know why anyone would say Wallace when he had an entire story arc named after him in DP. Sure we didn't get to see Ash battle him, but Wallace in the anime was more of a Top coordinator than Gym leader anyway.
    Wallace was champion in the anime actually(like Emerald) until Steven now has got the title back randomly because of ORAS.

I don't even remember the episode Bugsy was in so I'm tempted to choose him. I infidelity remember Erika because her episode was memorable.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Quote Originally Posted by Vernikova View Post
    I don't even remember the episode Bugsy was in so I'm tempted to choose him. I infidelity remember Erika because her episode was memorable.
    Some Kanto and Johto Gym leaders only ever got 1 episode. Its strange since now we're used to Gym leaders being around for at least 2 episodes and sometimes more.

Falkner, Bugsy and Chuck only appeared in 1 episode. So did some of the Kanto ones like Lt Surge, Erika, Koga.

Cheren. I don't know why they skipped out on him as a potential rival, then said nuts to game canon by giving timeskip Cheren a filler episode instead.

Character wise, he does some of what they tried to do with Trip more successfully...
    Last edited by Emperor Empoleon; 13th January 2015 at 11:03 PM.

Let's discuss this in the opposite way. How many gym leaders appeared in the anime episodes other than the gym matches episodes? (of course bar Misty, Brock, Iris, Cilan and Clemont; and bar flashback scenes)

Other than Norman (Wallace doesn't count IMO, as he was not gym leader by the time he appeared), I can't even remembered other gym leaders appeared outside the gym matches episodes. Therefore, the majority of them are technically just another CotD, where the only difference from other CotD is that they have appearance and roles based on some significant characters from the game. Not yet to mentioned many of them were even given OOC personalities significantly different from the game counterpart, so they are no more the gym leaders we knew from the game.

In cases that Ash needs to rematch, then the gym leader(s) become recurring characters for more than one episodes. But still, the majority of them don't appear outside the gym matches episodes. So it just means it is only the result of the gym matches contributed something important to the plot, character-wisely they are basically nothing important. Hence they are technically nothing different from CotD, or maybe it is worse because just like I said, it is the result of gym matches but not their personalities matter to the show, so even they are OOC from their game counterpart, even they are son of b*tch/b*stard, it just doesn't matter, because we will never see them again as they are technically just CotD appear only once in the entire anime.

So if I have to say it, every single gym leaders that didn't appeared outside the gym matches episodes were all getting short end of the stick.
    Last edited by Crystal; 14th January 2015 at 7:32 AM.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこに始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Let's discuss this in the opposite way. How many gym leaders appeared in the anime episodes other than the gym matches episodes? (of course bar Misty, Brock, Iris, Cilan and Clemont; and bar flashback scenes)

Other than Norman (Wallace doesn't count IMO, as he was not gym leader by the time he appeared), I can't even remembered other gym leaders appeared outside the gym matches episodes. Therefore, the majority of them are technically just another CotD, where the only difference from other CotD is that they have appearance and roles based on some significant characters from the game. Not yet to mentioned many of them were even given OOC personalities significantly different from the game counterpart, so they are no more the gym leaders we knew from the game.

In cases that Ash needs to rematch, then the gym leader(s) become recurring characters for more than one episodes. But still, the majority of them don't appear outside the gym matches episodes. So it just means it is only the result of the gym matches contributed something important to the plot, character-wisely they are basically nothing important. Hence they are technically nothing different from CotD, or maybe it is worse because just like I said, it is the result of gym matches but not their personalities matter to the show, so even they are OOC from their game counterpart, even they are son of b*tch/b*stard, it just doesn't matter, because we will never see them again as they are technically just CotD appear only once in the entire anime.

So if I have to say it, every single gym leaders that didn't appeared outside the gym matches episodes were all getting short end of the stick.
    You have forgotten all the Kalos Gym Leaders who have appeared out side of their gyms.

Quote Originally Posted by pokepal123 View Post
    You have forgotten all the Kalos Gym Leaders who have appeared out side of their gyms.
    Unfortunately, I haven't watch any of the XY episodes yet, so I don't have much details about it. I basically hold back from all the discussion related to XY saga only.

But still, it means the gym leaders are getting a bit more spotlight only starting from XY saga, whereas all the previous ones are 90% CotD. How sad it that......
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこに始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post

Kanto: Brock, Misty, Giovanni/TRio
    Johto: Morty, Jasmine, Pyrce, Clair
    Hoenn: Roxanne, Brawly, Wattson, Flannery, Norman, Winnona, Tate & Liza
    Sinnoh: Roark, Gardenia, Maylene, Crasher Wake, Fantina, Byron, Candice, Volkner
    Unova: Cilan +Chili + Cress, Lenora, Burgh, Elesa, Clay, Skyla, Brycen
    All of them appeared in episodes outside their Gym Battles (not including flashbacks) so how they are COTDs I don't really know. They might get 1-2 episodes put of the Gym Battle for development or fleshing out but that's enough IMO. We don't need a whole arc getting to know the Gym Leaders and hell sometimes the best approach is just "Get to gym, Win badge, Leave." They might be "OOC" in the anime but considering that in the games a couple of them either had no personality or barely any, I don't mind them getting some character alterations, even then the anime tends to stay faithful to the game characterization on a bunch of the Gym Leaders.

My Tumblr

Given the options I chose Erica, overall though I think there should have been more options. Wallace shouldn't even be on that list. Crasher Wake should have taken his place.

On a side note, if we were to talk about gym leaders who deserved more time than they got, I would say Whitney. She was one of the most enjoyable gym leaders that I can remember and I personally think Misty should have gotten the axe after the Orange League (maybe stay in Kanto with Tracey) and she should have been replaced with Whitney.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
    Does Dawn own Misty? Yes she does!

To be fair Sinnoh is the only saga where the Gym leaders really stuck around for multiple episodes. I think Crasher Wake was the only one only in 2 episodes.

Its hard to believe Roark got 6 episodes in DP. He had 4 in a row and then came back for 2 episodes with Byron. Roark's character is rather bland, its hard to believe he got so many more episodes than all the other Gym leaders.

Bugsy or Marlon solely because I can't remember anything about the battle or episode. I feel like even if some like Erika and Koga didn't have good battles, at least I can remember the episode itself. Officially voted Marlon because he was most recent.

To be fair Sinnoh is the only saga where the Gym leaders really stuck around for multiple episodes. I think Crasher Wake was the only one only in 2 episodes.

Its hard to believe Roark got 6 episodes in DP. He had 4 in a row and then came back for 2 episodes with Byron. Roark's character is rather bland, its hard to believe he got so many more episodes than all the other Gym leaders.
    Someone sounds salty.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Someone sounds salty.
    Smelling Salts is/was the signature move of the Makuhita line

My Tumblr

I would have liked to see some female Gym leaders get more episodes, in particular Flannery, Lucy of BF, Skyla, etc.

I would have liked to see some female Gym leaders get more episodes, in particular Flannery, Lucy of BF, Skyla, etc.
    I can agree to this ಠ_ಠ

Erika by far. The most forgetable gym leader of all time.

Out of all gym leaders, Korrina got the most focus (and the most episodes)

I agree with what people are saying about Erika being quite a poorly done character. A shame really as aside from that I thought all the Kanto Gym Leaders were pretty good.

Marlon was pretty shafted in the sense that he didn't get to battle Ash. This argument doesn't stand up for Drayden though, as whilst he didn't get to face Ash he did get a few appearances anyway.

I voted Marlon, but that's mainly because I really liked his design and character when I played BW2 and I was disappointed he didn't get a larger appearance. No leader really stands out to me as getting really screwed over (except maybe Janine lol), since there's a decent amount pre-DP that only got a small amount of screen time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast