Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Soldier Porygon! (038)

Pikachu's Thunder Guest

No s*** they would ban it .......... It messed up 500 kids so why would'nt they ban it's a very good reason they banned this one!

I believe close to 700 was the actual amount, but whatever. For once, I honestly believe Japan shouldn't have banned it. Why? Well simple. They could have just went back and edited it with new animation. I mean---they tossed away a chunk load of cash just for some horrible CGI effects in the first movie. Why couldn't they do this to an episode? ~.~;
    || The stars rule men, but God rules the stars. ||

OWNER OF THE CHRISTIAN ALLIANCE
    Cartoon Bish; Soundwave

Just get it off Kazaa, it appears on there on some occasions, along with some of the other banned episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dejiko
    I think you misunderstood something. The episode that was dubbed and locked away was "The Legend of Miniryuu". Rachel Lillis even confirmed this in a few of her past interviews. But for the Porygon epy? No. As far as I know, Japan never even gave that episode to the U.S. for dubbing.
    No, I didn't misunderstand anything. I read it in an interview or trivia somewhere, but I don't remember where. It was like a year ago or so.

*edit*
    I found it. Here it is:

This episode was not shown because it gave over 700 Japanese kids seizures from the bright flashing of the colors red and blue. This episode has already been dubbed and they slowed down the frame rate, but 4KIDs does not want to take any chances, so it was not aired, and won't ever be.
    Last edited by Pokemon Master; 27th October 2004 at 6:13 AM.

Please! We need more members at Hoenn's Dearest forums! Join us!
    Paired up with Sherry. ^^

I claimed Atsuko Natsume/Nuku Nuku from All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku in the Bishounen Thread!
    Bow to the cyber-kitty!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Master
    No, I didn't misunderstand anything. I read it in an interview or trivia somewhere, but I don't remember where. It was like a year ago or so.

*edit*
    I found it. Here it is:
    I hardly believe that. Didn't you hear Raven earlier? Japan won't let them air it even if they wanted to! Plus, Pokemon came out in the U.S. a year later than Japan. By the time they reached the Porygon episode, I bet the U.S. was either just getting the episode or getting it later. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know I'm right about this--4kids can't "take any chances". It's banned by the creators. If they took any chances, they'd be in big trouble for going against the rules you could say.

Cartoon Bish; Soundwave

The whole world knew about the Porygon episode the night it aired in Japan. I recall reading info about it online and seeing people start petitions to keep the show out of the US.

Dejiko, assuming your copy is on VHS, the worst that can happen to you is a minor headache or eye strain. VHS quality tends to deteriorate after use and usually isn't recorded in DVD-quality standards.

The main reason they never went back to edit it was because the episode's banned in Japan. They don't edit anything in the US, so they can't just send a banned episode that cause people to go to the hospital to a dubbing company and expect them to make the changes. Otherwise, they'd be held responsible for supplying it if anything goes wrong.

Neither 4Kids or the creators of the anime can take chances. We've been proven this when 4Kids started removing evidence of Jynx and went ahead and banned The Cave of Ice all together rather than taking a chance in trying to edit Jynx out.

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Wouldn't the censors have noticed that the flashing was hazardous? I think everyone from the visual effects artist to the broadcast company are to blame for this fiasco.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Thing is, Japan's not as censor heavy as the US is so there's quite alot that can be gotten away with. Apparently they never viewed episodes before they aired, so that was a major problem. Alot of people are to blame for it.

Still, you'd think the people making the episode would have noticed it was a bit hard on the eyes. They would have had to preview it even if the censors never did.
    ~

Banning might have been a little harsh. THey could have gone through and remade the computer shots and got rid of the flashing. I don't know why they put those in in the first place. But as it is today, it's a health hazard.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Do you actually think people would be okay with them reairing the episode that caused a bunch of people to collapse into a seizure fit only with edits? I'm pretty sure they don't wanna be reminded of it in anyway. There was no point in an edit seeing as how the show ended up being put on hiatus, they were working on newer episodes to air later in the year, and had to redo all the previous episodes for VHS release and for 4Kids to use for the dub. They had no time to redo the WHOLE episode considering that whole episode was the problem.

this sort of thing could have happened to any anime... it's rather unfortunate that it was this one that had it...

still, it would be a bit too late to air the episode, the damage it caused was already done, they won't have this sort of episode in a long long long time
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Did the Japanese ban Porygon? It hasnt appeared at all except for one cameo in movie 5. Porygon 2 hasnt even been shown. Was it banned like Jynx and Elekid?
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets

At long last, I am returning with my Fan-Fic. Just need to find a better host. Blogger has done its course but I need just a little more recognition.

I freaking HATE "Mega" Evolution.

No, they could probably still show Porygon whenever they want they just don't want to remind people of the seizure incident so they never featured it again. And Elekid wasn't banned, why would it be?
    Last edited by Heracross; 3rd November 2004 at 10:48 PM.
    ~

Elekid in the anime wasn't banned, but the Elekid figure was banned because young children might try and stick it's head into electrical outlets.

Cartoon Bish; Soundwave

And remember that Jynx is banned in the dub. Rujuura (Jynx in Japan) remains in the original version. They're not showing Jynx in the dub due to her skin staying black. Main reason we haven't seen Porygon 2 is because Prof. Akihabara's the only person we've seen with two Porygon. If Pory 2 were introduced, he'd have to be reintroduced along with his two Porygon, which could cause disasterous memories.

Yeah, but couldn't they just have some random other trainer with a Porygon/ Porygon 2? Unless there's a reason why he's the only one to have them or something.
    ~

So far, he's the only technological genius the anime's ever introduced. It only makes sense to have the Porygon with him. Pretty sure he has the ability to create Porygon considering the way his entire mansion was set up.

Oh, that makes sense. It is rather weird that he's the only person to have them though. I mean there must be a way they exist besides being created by him, or else what was that one doing floating around in an alley?
    ~

I think maybe some important person (Oak, perhaps?) could've been given the code to make a Porygon, and did. He could just say a friend gave him the code, and there, no problems with callbacks or memories and such.

Highly doubt it since Oak isn't a technical genius whereas Akihabara was the one who designed the whole transport system. Makes more logical sense that he would create Porygon.

Can Porygon even exist outside of a computer? It did it in this episode, but only briefly, and in/close to the transporter device.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

We'll probably never find out anything more than what we saw in the Porygon episode. But seeing as how it was able to exist outside the computer and Akihabara said that the Rocket Gang took his other Porygon and went into the computer system, I would assume it can.

Not to mention when it had a cameo in the little movie introduction it was floating around in an alley nowhere near a transporter or any kind of computer. And even at the end of the episode, when the Porygon were back outside the computer world, the transport machine and all the other computers and such were completely destroyed, meaning that they don't have to depend on them to exist.
    ~

Blaziken's Emberz Guest

So this is the episode that caused the epileptic seizures. It's sad that Japan did that. If the TV-Tokyo knew what they were watching, they should've done some editing, or some deletion of those flashing lights!

Oh well, Pokémon learned from that mistake!

: PMD :

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast