Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70

Thread: The Problem With Paras (044)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bournemouth, England
    Posts
    15,538

    Default The Problem With Paras (044)

    The Problem With Paras!

    Having ran out of Pokemon Medicine, Ash & Co. go to a local place to get some Potions. However they dont have much due to the owner's Paras being weak. Can Ash & co help train the Paras so it can evolve into Parasect?

    Visit The Episode Guide

    Discuss

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bolivia - South America.
    Posts
    1,458

    Default

    One of the most frustrating and probably the worst episode of the first season. I was constantly angry at the extremely weak Paras, and very annoyed when Meowth's hard work doesn't pay off at the end. A very unfulfilling end.
    Maggots of Society: Chapter One Up!



    Twins with Sike Saner! She loves to stay in the shadows.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    191

    Default

    I liked it when James said, "Cupid's arrow strikes - when you least expect it"

    When they first aired the episodes around this time, I think they showed them out of order. They showed Charizards evolution ep. before this one, if I recall correctly.

    I love it when Team Rocket tries to do good things.

    7.5/10
    Yeah!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Somewhere Beyond the Barricade
    Posts
    4,407

    Default

    A truly dreadful season 1 episode. Just terrible.
    My new Pokemon Fanfic, "The Prodigy Project" has started.

    Read the prologue for the Kanto arc HERE

    The first proper chapter will be posted in October, shortly after the release of XY.

  5. #5
    Robert Guest

    Default

    Erm... I suppose I'm a rebel, because I enjoyed this one. I thought it was a pretty funny episode the entire way through.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Erm... I suppose I'm a rebel, because I enjoyed this one. I thought it was a pretty funny episode the entire way through.
    At first it, it was kinda pathetic watching teh Pokemon fainting after Pikachu just touch it.-__- But it turned out to be an alright episode. I was just getting into the whole Pokemon thing when I watched this episode, so Im on your side about this Robert.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    1,726

    Default

    Paras was obviously not that great till the end of the episode, but I really like this episode for the positive view we get of Team Rocket. Especially since Cassandra had been so upset with the way they were handling Meowth at the beginning of the episode, and ended up being their supporters by the end of the episode. It's so rare nowadays for Team Rocket to do heroic things and be acknowledged for it that episodes like these are real heartwarmers.
    My Shinies: NEW!! 4/13
    Currently hunting/MM'ing:

  8. #8
    Volt Tackle Guest

    Default

    This episode was lame. Why would Charmeleon be completely disobediant after this?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    the eventless island
    Posts
    2,494

    Default

    IMO, this was a really funny episode. I loved it when TR tried to be good and help out. XD Having Charmeleon disobey was pretty funny. ^^ I enjoyed that one, to be honest.
    For those who'd like to keep in contact, you know where to find me. ♥

  10. #10
    pik achoo Guest

    Default

    I was sad to see paras so weak. But any ep. where a pkmn evolved i liked because I like seeing them evolve.

  11. #11
    Ojkoj Guest

    Default

    whenever i think of that episode i think of church, yes i kno u nnow think im screwed up. but i remember not being able to see it cuz of church. so we recorded it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cage
    Posts
    132

    Default

    i think this episode is so funny.....especaly all the paras and TR battles in it

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    In a juice bottle
    Posts
    526

    Default

    This epy got on my nervies, but I still liked it.. =/ I liked the old lady! she was scary! X3;;



    Banner and sprites made by the amazing Hakuryuu! Thanks! <3

    I love you Dara <33

    8/11/07

  14. #14
    Ethereal Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ojkoj
    whenever i think of that episode i think of church, yes i kno u nnow think im screwed up. but i remember not being able to see it cuz of church. so we recorded it.
    Heh, funny you say that. Same here. I couldn't wait to finally see a new episode, after seing every episode up to "March of the Exeggutor Squad" over and over, and I recorded it, so I could see it when I got home from church. I also remember that it was on Valentine's Day when this first aired. I remembered that, because I thought it was cool that James said, "Cupid's arrow tends to strike - when you least suspect it.". I thought that line was put in because it was being aired on Valentine's Day. Those two things are how I remember this episode.

    And what's with all the hate? I love this episode. One of my favorites of all time. Definitely the funniest and most memorable episode to me. I found nothing wrong with it.

    "Paras! Paras! Stomp and stamp! You bet! Paras! Paras! That's our champ!"...Ah...memories. ^_^


    I feel old as hell. ;; [/emo]

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ares Vallis
    Posts
    5,311

    Default

    Heh, I liked this one too. I thought it was neat how it was set in that tiny little town, and Kiyomi was cute. Nyasu thought so too - he really had it bad for her. XD It was interesting that they had him fall in love with a human character before they introduced his history with Madonnya.

    This was also one of the only times we got to see Lizard before he evolved again. His disobedience was funny. And it was great to see the return of the Rocket-dan's cheer squad costumes.
    ~

  16. #16
    Keppeshuh Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Venusaur
    When they first aired the episodes around this time, I think they showed them out of order. They showed Charizards evolution ep. before this one, if I recall correctly.
    Now that you mention it, I'm almost certain WB aired the Paras episode as a "LOST EPISODE OF POKEMON" at the time; why, I don't know. But I think I remember what you're talking about, the disorder of Charizards evolution... thing.

    Anyway, haha, I liked this episode. It was funny and lame in its own way; kind of like the St. Anne episode.

    (Also, I think I remember Paras humping a tree, which was BIG LAFFS for a kid in his prepubescent years)

  17. #17
    Dark Magic Guest

    Default

    There's no way Paras is THAT much of a weakling, for any reason. How it evolves without doing anything but poking other pokemon for a 'win' is ridiculous, how is that experience.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Why would Jessie and James tell Casandra they're super heroes, then feel insulted about being called super heroes again years later?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in Texas
    Posts
    594

    Default

    Actually, Jessie and James never said they were superheroes in the first place. They chanted their motto and Cassandra assumed they were heroes. It's a case of mix-up similar to what happened in "We're No Angels" - the girl mistakes them for heroes when they chanted. I'm surprised that the dubbers remembered this episode when they dubbed "We're No Angels" and referred to it by having Kate cry "They're superheroes!" just like Cassandra assumed.

    I hated this episode because that was when Charmeleon started acting mean. Charmeleon was only in three episodes(when it evolved, this episode, and two episodes later, when it evolved to Charizard). Of course, once Charizard trusted Ash in the Orange Isles, he quickly became one of my favorite Poke-characters and seeing him take on big stuff(like "The Symbol Life", where he kicked butt on an ARTICUNO, my fave Legendary Bird) shows how far he has come.

    However, as one weirdo character in another anime said, "to make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs", and this episode was the first "egg" to break. The nice thing of this episode is that Meowth got a crush on a girl and did his hardest to help her Paras evolve. The part I hated most in this was the part where Charmeleon was about to KILL Paras and then it poked him and won. Deux ex machina, anyone?
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION FOR SOMETHING ELSE...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C.J. Ray
    Actually, Jessie and James never said they were superheroes in the first place. They chanted their motto and Cassandra assumed they were heroes. It's a case of mix-up similar to what happened in "We're No Angels" - the girl mistakes them for heroes when they chanted. I'm surprised that the dubbers remembered this episode when they dubbed "We're No Angels" and referred to it by having Kate cry "They're superheroes!" just like Cassandra assumed.
    I distinctly recall James asking her "Don't you recognize superheroes when you see them?" after laughing about either him of Jessie being trainer to Meowth when he was close to death.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magic
    There's no way Paras is THAT much of a weakling, for any reason. How it evolves without doing anything but poking other pokemon for a 'win' is ridiculous, how is that experience.
    Because they made it think it did a good job and congratulated it and stuff, slowly making it more confident.

    Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    @U$$!E
    Posts
    2,167

    Default

    meh. Paras wasnt very interesting. Charmeleon going Psyc was awesome. TR being "good" and helping with the evo was un-expected. 6/10

    Friend Code Coming Soon When I Find My DS

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,222

    Default

    A OK Episode. I guess, I shouldn't be to surprise to see that Paras evolve.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    137

    Default

    I thought this episode was pretty cool, and I loved seeing the Team Rocket scenes

    The battles vs. Paras were great too.

    The best part of this epi. was badass Charmeleon
    I think that this really set the tone for badass pokemon,
    and Charmeleon makes look like little angels
    Last edited by Encyclopika; 10th January 2007 at 12:44 AM.

    Thanks to Shebang for the sweet TC

    [IMG]http://i16.*******.com/2q2235y.png[/IMG]
    Dont Mess With Ice Beaming Quilava.
    Thanks to Futuramagirl!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,235

    Default

    Would this be considered a turning point for Ash?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •