Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Princess VS Princess (052)

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Staff View Post
    Why can't Team Rocket ever have more than two Pokemon at a time? Are they really that low in the eyes of the writers?
    Uh, right now in Japan they have three each (Cacnea/Masukippa/Mime Jr., Dustox/Wobbuffet/Seviper).
    My Shinies: NEW!! 7/15
    Currently hunting/MM'ing:
    To reclaim:

Quote Originally Posted by wobbanut View Post
    Uh, right now in Japan they have three each (Cacnea/Masukippa/Mime Jr., Dustox/Wobbuffet/Seviper).
    Ohhhh. You're right. XD It's been a long time since Jessie used Dustox, so I forgot about its existance. And James recently got his Masukippa.

Quote Originally Posted by Valoc Darkmyre View Post
    I was happy with how easily Licki took down that little yellow electric rat in that episode. I know some of you really like Pikachu, but I love it when Pika doesn't win a fight; it's a lot more realistic than the "OMG PIKACHU WIPED OUT A GROUND TYPE WITH AN ELECTRIC ATTACK!!!" stuff that usually happens. =D.

You would have enjoyed watching Flannery's Torkoal Sludge Bomb it to death...I know I did.
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

???

i thought jessie was going to win but misty won but i felt bad for both

merry christmas!

Well, this episode is quite a good episode. We get to see our first pokemon contest (come on, you have to admit that it seems very similar to the pokemon contests in AG and DP (I mean the four pokemon limit? Them appealing to the audience in fancy clothes (Kimonos)? They're calling it a "Contest" anytime they are talking about the battle or prior to the actual event?), it gives backstory to some of the characters, and Misty won the contest among many other stuff. Unfortunately, despite it being a very good episode, I am forced to give it a C+ due to certain scenes involving the typical female anime stereotype (which thank goodness that Misty proved herself not to be that.) in case you are wondering which specific scenes I was referring to, here is a flashback:

(warps everyone on the site to the shopping mall during the announcing of the contest scene.)
    “PA: Announcer: Attention, Princess Festival shoppers. Attention, Princess Festival shoppers.
    Misty/Jessie: Eh?
    PA Announcer: In just a few minutes we will be holding the main event of this year’s Princess Festival, The Queen of the Princess Festival Contest.
    Misty: The Contest.
    Jessie: The Contest.
    Brock: Ah, and the tons of beautiful girls.
    Pikachu: Pika! Pika!
    PA Announcer: The prize for the contest winner will be a beautiful, one-of-a-kind collection of Pokemon Princess Dolls.
    Misty/Jessie: Princess Dolls?
    PA Announcer: And, in addition, the winner will have her picture taken with Screen Sensation Fiorello Cappuchino.
    (Every Girl in the store, with the exception of Misty and Jessie, start to squeal like animals and start to trample over Ash, Brock, James, Pikachu and Meowth.)”

And the worst part is, they did this for a total of three times (well, two if you count the girls squeals before and after Fiorello’s “Ciao, Bella. It’s Good to be here." line as the same.)
    (Warps all of the site members to the unveiling of the grand prize to the audience.)
    "MC contest announcer: it’s unique it’s Antique; it’s the limited, one-of-a-kind Pokemon princess doll set, batteries sold separately.
    Pikachu: PiKaChu!
    Ash: I’d like one of those, myself.
    (The very same girls start to do a different variation of their nightmarish, animalistic squealing as we zoom in on the doll set (the clefairy and pikachu dolls to be specific).)
    Fiorello: Ciao, Bella. (Tooth shines a star) It’s Good to be here.
    (All of the aforementioned girls start doing the nightmarish, sexist squeals.)"

Now do you see what I mean? (Warps all site members back to the site.) Because in case why you guys are wondering why some small, seemingly insignificant scenes would influence the low grade for it, it’s because those girls squealing is what started my hatred of the female anime stereotype in the first place (and by extension, the LH franchise (Don't Ask), and a certain AG girl [And, no, I am NOT going to give her name since if I do, it would start a girl flame war and none of us would want that, now do we?].)

And just so you know, the female anime stereotype is this awful stereotype that has the girls being very veloptuous, and their behavior is loud, whiney, obnoxious, silly, spoiled, and throwing temper tantrums, Misty doesn’t fit these at all (and no, her losing control of her temper does not count as a temper tantrum. a temper tantrum is, to use a "Berenstein Bears" reference, the galloping greedy gimmies, or, in a losing issue, crying your eyes out if you lose (and it is not the first time you lost either). It also doesn’t qualify under loud because when I envision loud, I think of those girls in Princess vs. Princess.) It was somewhat influenced by a family member, and even if it wasn’t, with my keen observation skills on girls at school, I could tell that it was a use of sexism and not how girls are really.

Also, Misty being possibly the only female protagonist in the pokemon anime to not have that hated stereotype is the exact reason why I am trying to bring her back to the main cast. I am not saying that the episode in itself was terrible, in fact, i felt that it was one of the best episodes. Anyways, that wraps up my review.

Now, as for those people complaining that Jessie lost, at least be thankful that she almost won (and came in second place not to mention) for once.

I like it but it would be so much better if I won the contest! I want those dolls! The're so kawaii.

A nice episode focusing on Misty I enjoyed it, and we also see Ash still doesn't get Misty. Also nice to see Jessie capture her Lickitung even though it doesn't get as much spotlight as Wobbuffet later in the series does.
    My Grandmother always said...
    "She who walks the path of heaven will rule over everything"

Mana (4914-3452-1470) (X)
    Gyarados, Octillary, and Azumarill

Aw I think Jessie should have won, she deserved them a lot more than Misty did. But yeah, they're Team Rocket, they have to lose EVERY time, even if they play by the rules on those certain occasions, geez.

True they always mess up in some way or another but I was happy to see that Misty won! They both deserved the doll set as they both had been through rough times in their lives however, Misty only won the tournament because lickitung gave psyduck a headache and she knew enough about psyduck to realize that when it's permanent headache got bad enough it gained psychic powers.

I liked this episode, but I felt bad for Jessie after she lost. But, I did like how similar this festival was to contests.

I've got nothing better to put in my sig, so I decided to put a bunch of Pikachu! Pikachu rocks!

This is definitely my favorite episode. It was funny and I like how it centered on the girls of the series.

My favoritest part is when Lickitung keeps licking Psyduck and he's just like standing there. XD

Lickitung was a total champion, and was given the ultimate shaft in the way it was handled. It was clearly of more use than Arbok, Weezinf and Victreebel combined, and was used in one on one battles... never again...? Sounds about right.

lmao at "both Pokémon are completely ignoring their trainers!". I like the way Misty is barely shown to have used Starmie. Sound one, Misty. Reminds me of Johto Ash... She wasted her time raising her Pokémon, but when push came to shove she ended up using a different set of Pokémon...

Don't worry, I realise it was for type coverage, I just didn't like her using Bulbasaur to be honest.

Lickitung would have made capturing Pokémon so easy for TR... What a shame.

i still wonder how lickytung can have such a big tongue, it just doesn't fir in it,
    anyways i only saw this episode half, how did it end?

i'm currently on antartica, it might take a while untill i'm back.

Why did Jessie lose? Certainly poverty is a more deserving reason than sibling rivalry. The disappointment only rose even more when Misty wanted to use those dolls to make her sisters jealous.

And concerning the supposed "female anime stereotype," why doesn't Weedle obsess over Jessie then if she also breaks the supposed stereotype? Because she's a "villain"? Sheesh.
    Mostly lurking nowadays.

Lickitung! He was awesome 8D

I also liked the "Princess Day" theme. Don't they have something somewhat similar in Japan? "Girls Day" or something? Ah it's nice when we get to see those cultural references in Pokemon ^_^ It's also cool that Misty won the doll set. It was a nice set ^^
    lord freeza i really need to use the space skype

Anyone who doesn't believe that teenage girls can turn into screaming ninnies when a teen idol shows up has obviously never seen any videos of the Jonas Brothers, New Kids On the Block, or any other crap pop group.

Actually, they've done it for good groups, too- watch the first appearance of the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. There's a reason this became a cliche- because it happens.

(I've been known to squee a bit myself at times.)

I liked how Jessie caught her pokemon, and it was great to see her winning for once.

I love this epidode. Lickitung was so awesome. Too bad it hardly made any appearances. Good plot though.

What you love of mine is always yours.
    Animated by me.
    Wife ~ Daughter ~ Pair ~ Twin ~ Claim

Did anyone see Meowth flick off the Primape I thought it was Hilarious.
    Pokemon Sinnoh Legends PG-13 Please check out my fan fic

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi-the-Breloom View Post
    Why did Jessie lose? Certainly poverty is a more deserving reason than sibling rivalry. The disappointment only rose even more when Misty wanted to use those dolls to make her sisters jealous.
    Yeah, I was always kind of sorry that Jessie lost this one too. It seemed to me that the actual ownership of the Pokemon dolls meant a lot less to Misty than it did spiting her sisters. I'm aware that Jessie does have a tendency to be quite melodramatic when she's seeking sympathy, but at least she actually wanted to own those dolls for ownership's sake. It was certainly nice of James and the TR pokemon to dress up like that in order to console her, which made for quite a sweet little ending.

I always liked Lickitung, so I agree that it was a shame that we saw so little of it. Heck, it would be so many episodes until we next saw it (the mention in the Farfetch'd episode notwithstanding) that there was a time when I wondered if Jessie had even kept it at all. Kind of interesting how, in its first episode, Licki is actually a pretty darn formidable pokemon, managing to take out Pikachu, Bulbasaur and Vulpix with total ease. From there on in, it was nothing but humiliating defeats and failures. The Team Rocket effect, I guess.
    Last edited by Raikipper; 14th January 2009 at 9:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi-the-Breloom View Post
    Yeah, this episode always bugged me for that reason. I mean, Jessie's reason for wanting the dolls so badly were definitely more valid. Misty got hand-me-downs, sure, but poor Jessie didn't get anything at all. It wasn't fair. What exactly were we supposed to learn: "No matter what your reason, the good guy will always win, even if they don't deserve it"? Bah humbug.

Quote Originally Posted by jigglypoof View Post
    Yeah, this episode always bugged me for that reason. I mean, Jessie's reason for wanting the dolls so badly were definitely more valid. Misty got hand-me-downs, sure, but poor Jessie didn't get anything at all. It wasn't fair. What exactly were we supposed to learn: "No matter what your reason, the good guy will always win, even if they don't deserve it"? Bah humbug.
    Well, it's not like Our Heroes knew that, or they might have backed out. They probably assumed (not without some justification) that TR was up to something.

As for Misty's attitude, having been in her position (youngest girl and kinda scrawny with impressive older sisters), I can definitely relate. It's not just that you almost never get anything new for yourself, it's also that what you do get is so beat up that it's useless. Of course she wanted something special that was just hers, and of course she wanted to rub her sisters' noses in it. At that age, being mature and adult about that sort of thing just ain't gonna happen.
    Walk a little further off the beaten path
    And we’ll drive on even if we get there last
    Our backs against the wall and we will lunge and bite
    And we’ll rage, rage, rage against the dying of the light
    Here And Now by Great Big Sea

My shinies-

I felt really sorry for Lickitung, it proved that it was a strong battler, and Jessie barely ever used it.

Credit to Mr. Joker for the Glee banner
    Credit to Skiyomi for the lovely Blue Snover banner

If anyone is interested in a custom ribbon for your profile pic, be sure to check out Ayra's sprite thread in the fanart section, if you want to take a look at her work have a look at my profile.

It was a funny episode ^_^ and great than Jessie catch the Lickitung...it was my favorite Pokemon
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

This is a fun episode to watch. Misty takes total control of this episode and finally shows her true battling skills in real pokemon matches. Jessie also catches her very own Lickitung and uses it in the contest (doing something fairly for once).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast