Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Test (056)

A pretty funny episode. Jessie and James' 'disguises' were a lot like Clark Kent/Superman's...I've got a pair of glasses on. No-one will ever be able to recognise me!!

There was an animation error concerning the Poliwag question. It said that when 'wag evolves into Poliwhirl, it's spiral changes direction, yet on the screen, it showed Poliwrath and Poliwag. Tut, tut.

And Misty, Ash and Brock obviously are trying to get rid of Snap/Todd. *"Goodbye everyone!!"
    "Ooops, aren't we missing someone? Oh well..."

Do the Robot!

This episode is...interesting. Mostly the second part of the test reminds me of the Battle Factory, in which you have to use rental pokemon.

For pokemon league qualification, first off, it was just one badge, so acing all the tests wouldn't automatically get you into the PL.
    Second, the second test makes sense with having to do with the PL because it's testing the trainer's abilities to be flexible, to be knowledgable of other pokemon's abilities & attacks, and to be able to adapt to new situations in battle.
    But the first part of the test, I agree, was pretty pointless. When you're doing nothing but battling in the PL, how would knowing which way the spiral on a poliwrath's stomach turns or what Jigglypuff looks like when seen from above help you in battle? Also, probably the only people who'd even stand a chance of passing this test would be the MEGA-FANATICS who spend hours just staring at (and possibly also talking to, LOL) pictures of pokemon, memorizing every single minute detail.

That "Jigglypuff seen from above" question was hilarious! I'll bet every single freakin' person in the whole room got it wrong, and that's why they all fell over. I love that falling over thing; it's one of the most hilarious aspects of anime.

Well, that's my opinion on this episode. It was good as a filler because it put a unique, never before seen spin on the pokemon world and possibly also served as some of the inspiration for the dynamics of the Battle Factory in Emerald Version.

-Steven, PMC Elite
    PMC Elite Field Researcher. 9 years pokemon experience.
    The PMC Motto:
    More to be added later on...

I think this episode explains why there were so many hundreds of trainers at the PL when so few of them could possibly have beat Giovani/Sabrina. That and the fact that there are supposedly more than 8 gyms serving Indigo.
    Er-hem!...Congradulations, Ash, you and your pokemon are hall of famers!"

This epiosde was alright. It had it moments.

I like this episode, sure it's kind of pointless but it's still funny ^_^ and Meowth looked so adorable playing with the ball of yarn until Jessie came and kicked him -_- lol

A good episode, I like the idea of a test for admittance to the Pokemon League for those who can't travel to different Gym's. I liked seeing Ash and James use Pokemon their not used to and I loved James reaction to when he got a Pikachu and gave it commands that was probably the funniest part.
    My Grandmother always said...
    "She who walks the path of heaven will rule over everything"

Mana (4914-3452-1470) (X)
    Gyarados, Octillary, and Azumarill

I enjoyed the part when Meowth was playing with the ball of yarn.

I've got nothing better to put in my sig, so I decided to put a bunch of Pikachu! Pikachu rocks!

Did anyone notice when Snap/Todd ran around taking pictures ther was a green weedle?
    (template from Jerkfighter)

To be honest I thought this episode was good because it had a bit of variety from the norm... We saw Ash getting to grips with Team Rocket's pokémon, and I thought having him battling the eeveelutions was a nice touch.

On the subject of Jessie's true or false tactic, I have a question... She says all she has to do is pick true and she'd get half of them right, yes? That seems fair, that she'd get 50% for it. But what if there were more false ones than true ones, or vice versa? Surely that means someone could get a phenomenal score with literally no effort put in if they answered the questions they knew and guessed the rest.

Another one interesting episode,in which we find out that there is another way to join to pokemon league instead of travelling.The battle part was also good and i like the Ashs reaction when he find out that all pokemon he is using are like the same one which team rocket is using.Anyway he managed to battle pretty well with pokemon,with which he isnt used to and almost achieved win.The part when James battle with pikachu against graveler was also very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    The battle part was also good and i like the Ashs reaction when he find out that all pokemon he is using are like the same one which team rocket is using.Anyway he managed to battle pretty well with pokemon,with which he isnt used to and almost achieved win.
    The sad thing is he was nearly better using Weezing than he had been using some of his own Pokémon...

i didn't liked this episode as much as the other ones, i'll just give it a 6/10.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkWobbuffet View Post
    As for the battle portion, it seemed Ash and James really got screwed in terms of choices. James had to figure out a way to beat a Graveler who can OHKO using a Pikachu, I mean jees, talk about a disadvantage. I was pretty impressed by the way Ash was able to use Weezing in beating Flareon, that was good. I was a bit confused about how his Arbok apperently "overloaded Jolteon's spikes" though... And don't get me started on the whole Meowth vs Vaporeon thing... he didn't have a chance.

But look at what Nurse Joy had, having a Squirtle use Water Gun on a Charmander... yeah... that takes real skill. >.>
    Oh gosh, my sentiments exactly! Joy was definitely assisted as much by luck as she was by skill in the practical, if not more so, and it kind of annoyed me compared to what poor James got stuck with. It was nice seeing a "normal" Meowth for what must have been the first time in the anime, even if this episode did portray it as being a bit useless. I believe that it was also one of the first times that Meowth's being a talking pokemon actually earned him any special attention - there was a point, in the earlier Kanto episodes, when it was just sort of accepted, with very few characters ever taking to the trouble to comment upon it.

I really loved this episode. Seems like a lazy way to get into the Pokemon Leagues. I don't know why Ash would want to do that anyway. Oh well. A fun episode indeed.

What you love of mine is always yours.
    Animated by me.
    Wife ~ Daughter ~ Pair ~ Twin ~ Claim

Classic<3 i love it all over! the battle between Ash and James...
    oh wow i wish i could watch it again
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

I think this episode was very skillful because the way that Ash wanted to test himself to see if he can win that badge without collecting the others. But look at Team Rocket, they couldn't show some effort as they guessed too many answers, getting everything wrong, even Ash. I loved when they all got a zero! -laughs-

This episode was so funny. It stood out from the rest. I re-watched it on YouTube years later after I first saw it. The quiz part was good.

I actually liked this episode a whole lot. Jessie, James and Ash were certainly amusing, but I was also a little dismayed at how badly Ash did in the tests. I actually preferred the battles, when Ash used Pokémon that Team Rocket has. Classic! XD
    lord freeza i really need to use the space skype

It was strange how Ash didn't know Arbok's moves.....

He battled with Weezing also, but didn't know his moves, why?

6/10
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

A great way to end the Todd arc though he never got a proper "goodbye" did he? :/

I loved it. A test of knowledge and not just the usual battle. I loved how Jessie and James disguised themselves just to take the test. The practical exam was a riot. Ash using Team Rocket's usual team and James using a team similar to Ash's.

I liked how Team Rocket took notes during the battle.

I liked this epidose, I like the pokemon quiz. I would've had them all correct haha!
    R.I.P. Max 8/8/1996 - 12/31/2008
    I love you, I miss you.

4.5/5

I liekd this episode. I really liked the quiz part. I probably would've gotten them all right.
    R.I.P. Max 8/8/1996 - 12/31/2008
    I love you, I miss you.

This episode was really funny. I would've passed those same tests. It was cool to see Ash try to win with TR's Pokemon, and vice-versa.

30/100

This episode was pretty interesting, considering that it was different from most fillers. I liked how it showed that you can do a test to get to the Pokemon League instead of having to go to Gyms and win badges. It was quite funny to see Ash and Team Rocket do really bad on the test. However, I don't think I would do that well either. There's no way I would have gotten that Jigglypuff from above question. That one was just plain stupid (and how does it prove whether or not someone is strong enough for the League?).

Two questions about this episode: One: who voices the exam computer, and two, how would you describe the voice effect done on the computer's voice? Pokemon Finalli in process now, and part of it depends on this.
    Some points i'd like to make: When I get a true or false test in school, I do what Jessie did, "True, true, that's true too." I usually get them right, wow! I didn't really think that Snap got a propper goodbye from this episode, and I thinked it was funny when James called the disguised Jessie an "old bat, " only for Jessie to freak out with an "OLD BAT?" with a snake sound in the background, then dragging James outside and starting to yell at him. Meowth was funny... AHHH! Darn it, Curses! Maddieeeeeeee! Curses! Curses Curses Curses Curses Curses! You were so funny! R.I.P.
    Anyway, Maddie was the best as meowth, especially when it attacked Jessie and James, then got hypnotized by that ball of yarn. Curses, I'll never meet my fav voice actor, the one who is inspiring me to become a voice actor.
    Anyway, it was ironic how Ash was using Team Rocket's Pokemon, and Team Rocket was using Ash's. What's with Ash? He battled team rocket, and isn't he supposed to know about a good deal of the Kanto pokemon by now? It's the 56th episode, and he's battled with team rocket many times. James sertainly didn't hezatate to use thunder shock on the Russian examiner's pokemon, but the russian examiner made an error saying that electric didn't work on rock types, when it is ground types that it doesn't work on, or is it the other way around. Jee, I need to take the exam myself, anyway, I thought it wierd how James knew so much about Pikachu, but Ashyboy? (Thanks garry for that), didn't know about Arboc and Wheezing. Over all, it was the best episode of the series, next to Trees A Croud, Address Unown, A Shroomish Scurmish, A Poached Ego and Chill Out Charizard.
    Last edited by Christian Woods; 18th June 2011 at 5:45 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast