Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Riddle Me This! (058)

I have this episode on VHS, and I still chuckle at Ash saying: the answer is an electric blanket in a fridge!
    Some call it hell; it's actually called facing my Bronzong.

The riddles in this episode were pretty amusing. I would've liked some more of the episode to be spent on exploring the city more but I guess it needed to be made way to see Ash get beaten down in a battle. It's funny how strong Magmar seemed in it's debut but it never seemed to carry it beyond this episode any of its intimidation. A pretty good episode.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

The riddles in this episode were funny, almost as funny as Blaine's wig. When it got to the actual battle though, I think the producers made it all seem a little bit extreme. He may be a fire Gym Leader, but to actually battle with lava underneath?!! It did, however, make Magmar's introduction that much more epic. And I agree that Blaine shouldn't have had a Rhydon. It was a little bit random. And it seems that Lightning Rod works in a completely opposite way to the games.

xxx

Pros:
    - "Pikachu, aim for the horn!" Anime not working like the games, which is a very good thing.
    - Blaine's riddles.
    - Magmar coming from down the volcano.
    - Gary teasing Ashyboy.
    - Misty being (probably) naked (aside from her towel), and screaming "DON'T WATCH" to Ash and Brock.

The riddles were hilarious, Misty is so smart to know what all the riddles meant!

Misty solving all of the riddles was cool. Blaine was a little offputting, I have to say. He seemed like Clay (Unova) a little bit in the way of being mean during the Gym Battle. Squirtl being taken out by a single Fire Spin ticked me off. I don't care if it Nintales' strongest move or not, Squirtle is a Water Type. -_- Pikachu should not ahve been able to take out Rhydon; especially since LightningRod is supposed to stop Electric Attacks, not knock it out...
    AS

Currently breeding for a shiny Aqua Jet Marill!
    FC: 4356 - 0171 - 9340
    Friend Safari: Normal (Lillipup, Audino, & Ditto)

This episode was great if only because of dub Blaine. He was really fun.

Hhaah, Blaine and his riddles were amazing. I would go as far to say that Blaine is without a doubt, the most strongest Gym leader in Kanto. His Pokémon and their capabilities were superb and without a doubt - proven to be in excellent condition. I always loved the Japanese influence in this episode too and Gary's appearance was interesting too.

Misty figuring out those riddles was pretty funny since Ash had absolutely no clue

I like Blaine. In games, I really don't care too much for him. But, his Ninetales is powerful, KO'ing Squirtle with one Fire Spin. And Ash annoyed me when he didn't want to give up when Brock told him to.

In this episode, Ash and other finally reached Cinnabar Island ... and Gary was there too. As usual, he was trying to annoy Ash by saying that there's no gym in Cinnabar Island, but he was wrong about that.

Blaine's Riddles were random and tricky, but I liked how Misty figured them out and they found out Blaine's Secret Gym. The Gym arena itself was pretty good, it was suspended over the Cinnabar Island Volcano. The battle between Ash and Blaine was okay, but didn't make sense to me. Squirtle got knocked out too fast! Squirtle a Water-Type Pokémon, so I expected it to put up a good battle. Pikachu defeating Rhydon by hitting its horn with Thunderbolt......was just meh! How in the world Blaine's highly experienced Rhydon got knocked out by just one Thunderbolt on the horn? It dosen't make any sense. Anyway, I thought Blaine's Magmar was cool and it's Fire Blast at the end was epic! It ended the episode with a good cillfhanger.

Overall, this was a good episode and a good way to introduce Blaine in the anime, but the battles were somewhat lackluster.
    Last edited by PokemontrainerY; 29th April 2014 at 10:03 AM.
    Pokémon XY

Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by DaDonYordel View Post
    Are we not just silly people writing silly complaints on this message board?

Magmar's entrance in this episode is too epic!!!

This episode is still pretty epic. Ash and the gang having to solve Blaine's riddles to find the hotel and the Gym, and of course bumping into Gary Oak in the process, as he taunts him after Pikachu was begging for food. Once they were in the Volcano, the battle itself was pretty good. The writers also cleverly foreshadowed to us how Ash was going to lose in the Indigo League, with signs of his Charizard refusing to battle and costing him a victory against Blaine. Squirtle was knocked out in one hit by Ninetales, and Pikachu defeats Rhydon with "Aim for the Horn!". I do wonder why Blaine used Rhydon to counter Charizard though. Is it because he is weak to Rock and Ground types? After that, Pikachu had to fight Blaine's hottest Pokemon, Magmar, and was on the verge of being entered in the Guinness Book of World Records for "World's Cutest Lava Lamp". I couldn't take the heat anymore, and needed to cool off from that Fire-Blasting cliffhanger, despite not knowing if Pikachu will survive or not.

9/10

^^^Charmander and Charmeleon are indeed weak to both Rock and Ground Types. Charizard, being a Flying Type in addition to Fire is actually immune to Ground attacks.

But, being both Flying Fire, Charizard is 4x weak to Rock.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123