Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 89 of 89

Thread: Holiday Hi-Jynx! (065)

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    When I saw this episode, I was assuming Jessie's mansion was her mother's since she was a high rank Team Rocket member. It's cool when Ash's Charmender came out and owned that annoying Jynx. The scene where Ash meets the Lapras was nice, it's interesting how the Lapras could talk in human speech.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudySpell View Post
    It made sense since Kanto didn't have deer Pokemon so flaming horses were the next best thing.
    Right I kind of figured that as well when I began thinking about it hee hee. Although those Rapidash seemed like odd choices still cuz you'd think that their flames would melt all the ice at Santa's workshop.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Oreo View Post
    Although those Rapidash seemed like odd choices still cuz you'd think that their flames would melt all the ice at Santa's workshop.
    Eh, it's not as if this episode made any sense at all to begin with. The whole North Pole and Santa Claus plot was ridiculous, so the Rapidash thing is the least of our worries.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesdayz View Post
    When I saw this episode, I was assuming Jessie's mansion was her mother's since she was a high rank Team Rocket member.
    Miyamoto may've been a high ranking Rocket-dan member, but I'd hazard a guess that she had left Musashi to search for Mew before the Rougela flashback from this episode, so I also don't think Musashi's childhood manor was hers.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesdayz View Post
    The whole North Pole and Santa Claus plot was ridiculous, so the Rapidash thing is the least of our worries.
    I guess that's true since we also saw a talking Lapras here which didn't make much sense either, although I assumed that the North Pole location that was shown here was an anime exclusive place cuz I doubt Ash's group actually visited the Arctic.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Oreo View Post
    I guess that's true since we also saw a talking Lapras here which didn't make much sense either, although I assumed that the North Pole location that was shown here was an anime exclusive place cuz I doubt Ash's group actually visited the Arctic.
    It was an anime-exclusive locale since it wouldn't have made much sense for Satoshi's group to travel thousands of miles. As for Laplace, it wasn't explained how she knew human language, but it wasn't too unrealistic since Nyasu speaks as well.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    987

    Default

    Jessie's revenge against Santa seemed pointless. Why does she always hold grudges over the tiniest things?

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,783

    Default

    In hindsight, I don't understand why this episode was edited in Japan to change the color of Rougela's face to purple a few years ago, because it was the West that had issues with Rougela's black face, yet the West has never aired the edited version of this episode as far as I know.

  9. #84

    Default

    You gotta love the hypocrisy with the Jynx face controversy. We saw James in that ganguro style in the St. Anne episode but now suddenly Jynx being based on that was racist in this episode...
    FC: 0674-4096-2624
    Looking for Hoopa. Can offer:

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ᎠᎬȺᎢḤ View Post
    You gotta love the hypocrisy with the Jynx face controversy. We saw James in that ganguro style in the St. Anne episode but now suddenly Jynx being based on that was racist in this episode...

    1. Jynx isn't based on Ganguro style

    2. James and Jessie when they disguised themselves as school girls in ganguro didn't resemble racist black caricatures. Their skins were ORANGE for one and they didn't have features often used to mock black people ERGO there was no hypocrisy to be had. That's like saying someone is a hypocrite for being offended by minstrel shows while being okay with fake spray on tans. Not remotely the same thing.
    Last edited by gentwoer; 15th February 2018 at 6:15 AM.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,783

    Default

    The whole Rougela controversy has always made me wonder why this episode wasn't simply banned outside of Japan from the start like the Safari Zone episode. If offending viewers was something that 4Kids wanted to avoid, then they could've just skipped this episode.

  12. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gentwoer View Post
    1. Jynx isn't based on Ganguro style

    2. James and Jessie when they disguised themselves as school girls in ganguro didn't resemble racist black caricatures. Their skins were ORANGE for one and they didn't have features often used to mock black people ERGO there was no hypocrisy to be had. That's like saying someone is a hypocrite for being offended by minstrel shows while being okay with fake spray on tans. Not remotely the same thing.
    But it was still unnaturally dark skin in both cases. How is black skin on Jynx any different from a bad tan when both things were meant to be exaggerated caricatures?
    FC: 0674-4096-2624
    Looking for Hoopa. Can offer:

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ᎠᎬȺᎢḤ View Post
    But it was still unnaturally dark skin in both cases. How is black skin on Jynx any different from a bad tan when both things were meant to be exaggerated caricatures?






    Look at both of these images. Tell me which one might be more offensive and insensitive to some.

    The problem isn't darker skin. The problem is Jynx unfortunately just so happened to resemble offensive racist black caricatures that were used historically to demean and degrade black americans. Jessie and James ganguro style is just really bad orange spray on tans.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhart View Post
    The whole Rougela controversy has always made me wonder why this episode wasn't simply banned outside of Japan from the start like the Safari Zone episode. If offending viewers was something that 4Kids wanted to avoid, then they could've just skipped this episode.
    4Kids probably wasn't aware the episode would be offensive to viewers. Anymore than Fox Kids and Saban realized putting a black guy in the black ranger suit and the asian girl in the yellow suit may raise eye brows or having the one black guy on the team wearing a monkey suit in an episode may be not be the brightest idea.


    Also 4Kids thought Charmander was only going to be a one-episode only Pokemon and that kids will turn off their tvs if they don't cal rice balls doughnut or pain over them with sandwiches.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •