Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round One - Begin! (077)

Default Round One - Begin! (077)

Round One - Begin!

It is the first Round on the Water field. A 3 on 3 Pokémon battle against a Trainer called Mandy who has a Golbat, Seadra and Exeggutor. Can Ash defeat this trainer or will he be knocked out in the first round

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

I find it really werid that I can remember this episode word for word. My favorite league episode since Krabby evolves in it.
    Breezy is my little sister. Anyone who messes with her has to answer to me!
    My Twin's are Trillian and Sakara

Factory Head Noland Guest

This was on Toonami yesterday, I was surprised to see Kingler using Hyper Beam against Golbat.

meggirl63 Guest

Oh, remember the part where Ash runs into Gary? Well, I happened to have seen a pic of Gary with a crown with the 'Winner' banner in the background. HOW ADORABLE!!!!!!

Hales Guest

I found Gary to be annoying in this episode, but I loved how little Krabby defeated Exeggutor... and then evolved into Kingler, and then became undefeated!

I also love how Ash ran over and gave Kingler a big hug after the match... so sweet!

Ash totally had Beginner's Luck in this episode. There is NO WAY that an unexperienced League Battler can totally, and I mean, TOTALLY smash a League Favourite (Who is an experienced battler, at that.) apart. Hence why I was annoyed by how the battle went. It would have been better if Ash had had a little trouble beating Mandy... maybe Pikachu and Squirtle could have been beaten by Exeggutor, only for Krabby to win it for him. That's how it *should* have gone in my opinion... it would have added a little danger to the situation. ("OMG Ash is gonna lose because he only has, like, ONE POKEMON left!") Instead, we see a Pokemon that has never fought before in a battle against three EXPERIENCED, kick-a*s Pokemon, who all got beaten by said unexperienced Pokemon. -_-

Oh, and Mandy is one of my favourite One-Shots. Totally awesome. So I'm bound to have a *little* bias. n.n;

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    Ash totally had Beginner's Luck in this episode. There is NO WAY that an unexperienced League Battler can totally, and I mean, TOTALLY smash a League Favourite (Who is an experienced battler, at that.) apart. Hence why I was annoyed by how the battle went. It would have been better if Ash had had a little trouble beating Mandy... maybe Pikachu and Squirtle could have been beaten by Exeggutor, only for Krabby to win it for him. That's how it *should* have gone in my opinion... it would have added a little danger to the situation. ("OMG Ash is gonna lose because he only has, like, ONE POKEMON left!") Instead, we see a Pokemon that has never fought before in a battle against three EXPERIENCED, kick-a*s Pokemon, who all got beaten by said unexperienced Pokemon. -_-

Oh, and Mandy is one of my favourite One-Shots. Totally awesome. So I'm bound to have a *little* bias. n.n;

Dude. Being biased on favorite trainers ROCKS. Unless it's Ash or Misty. *shot* >3

But I wish I could see this ep again. Last time I saw it, I was like....11. And I kinda missed most of it even then. I wanna see Mandy. He was so flamboyant. XD

Purrrrrrr.

I only saw this episode once, but one aspect of it really bugged me. You all can certainly figure out which aspect I mean. For crying out loud, he left the thing in Oak's lab for OVER A YEAR, and it participates in ONE BATTLE and it INSTANTLY EVOLVES?!? Even back when I actually liked this show, that irked me.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

Magi of all Guest

I seriously memorized this episode. I taped it on Kids WB and watched it like 15 times, I could repeate the episode by heart for many years, I can still spout out most of the episode.

I miss Kingler. And we don't know how much practice it had at Oaks- it could have had a lot of training!
    My new Pokemon Fanfic, "The Prodigy Project" has started.

Read the prologue for the Kanto arc HERE

The first proper chapter will be posted in October, shortly after the release of XY.

I couldn't stand this episode. Kingler could have at least LOST, but the thing had to win the entire match? That was rather wrong...

For all we know, it could have been a strong Krabby before Ash caught it. Not knowing its past and not knowing what goes on at Oak's lab could surely mean that we can't critisise Kingler. For all we know, it might have battled with Muk and/or Tauros, therefore making it stronger. Never underestimate the underdog, they always get you where it hurts.
    "Writing doesn't require drive. It's like saying a chicken has to have drive to lay an egg." ~ John Updike

Quote Originally Posted by Magi of all
    I seriously memorized this episode. I taped it on Kids WB and watched it like 15 times, I could repeate the episode by heart for many years, I can still spout out most of the episode.
    As I said eariler on, I know it word for word literly.
    Breezy is my little sister. Anyone who messes with her has to answer to me!
    My Twin's are Trillian and Sakara

vulpix Guest

everytime i see a pokemon evolve i get all excited just like when Krabby evolved into Kingler.i got all excited.

Blue_Poliwhirl24 Guest

I just loooooooooooooooove this episode featuring the first round in the Indigo League. Kingler just kicks a** and Ash's opponent was just stunned, hehe ^^*. Kingler is one of my fave Pokémon so I just dig this episode! =)

Zen Guest

I loved this episode, it was a great combat and I love Kingler, but you're right, an unexperienced Krabby beats 3 pokemon and evolves, what level was Krabby when Ash caught him?

Blaziken master Guest

You have to wonder why Ash never uses Kingler much in battle..

Monster Guest

I loved this battle, it was the best in the whole Indigo League. Kingler is one of my favorite of Ash's Pokemon, and this episode shows it's stregth. Mandy seems like he was Gay to me, but a lot of people disagree. Kingler sweeped Mandy, I was surprised how Kingler knew Hyper Beam, it was awesome!

Kingler = The greatest thing since sliced bread!

Ash's battling in this episode was pretty good, considering that I think he really should have used Pikachu, who had the advantage over all of Mandy's pokemon. At least his faith in Krabby/Kingler proved to be for the greater good, since Krabby ended up evolving and owning the match. One thing, though: since when is flying super effective against water? I don't remember my flying types having any natural advantage.

I also love the part where Ash says he's not just some twerp and Jessie calls out "Hey, twerp!"
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 11/10 NEW!! 11/13
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso

the exact same thing went through my head when I first saw the episode

How is it that a Krabby,that was never used in any of Ash's previous battles,take out a competitor that was claimed to be a fan favourite...Ash smoked this guy

It was weird that Krabby defeated Exeggutor even with it's type disadvantage,then evolve,clobber Seadra,and then use Hyper Beam

To me,in the anime,Hyper Beam is one of those moves that experienced,well trained pokemon could use,but not after simply evolving

pokeball557 Guest

hi yall im new

Quote Originally Posted by pokeball557
    hi yall im new
    Thank you for contributing to the topic at hand

Volt Tackle Guest

Kingler was great in that battle. But it would been funnier if the match ended in a double KO between Golbat and Kingler, making Ash still win.

Dr. Sun Guest

This was an awesome episode. Ash uses one of the pokemon he's got at Professor Oak's lab for the very first time, and it deals out the punishment in spades. A great battle, three strong opponents, and an evolution to boot. It doesn't get any better than this. Bonus points for having Kingler smash that Cloyster open in "Fire and Ice".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast