Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Friend or Foe Alike! (081)

It was a nice episode, i really tought Ash would win..
    why Charizard..why?
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

It was another of those Team Rocket humor episode ever. As a distraction, they would prevent Ash from entering the Pokemon League so he can automatically lose. They would perform those usual pranks to fool one or another. That's not important as I was so stunned that Ash lost the Pokemon League. After all of his hard work he showed throughout the season, his Charizard was the cause for not being obedient. Shocking...

I watched this episode again and while it may have been okay the layout of the episode was just terrible. Not to mention Ash didn't command any of his Pokemon to attack (against Ritchie).

The battle was just terrible, and before the match and Team Rocket Ash got six Pokemon from Nurse Joy, surely Muk or even Kingler would've been a better choice than Charizard.

Oh well I guess this was the only way Ash could've lost since I doubt Ash would've lost if the match was fair on his side.

And I blame Team Rocket for not letting Ash use Pidgeotto and for tiring it out before the match, as well as everything else.

Edit: Although I have to wonder, what would happen if Ash played along.

Ash: That's right Charizard don't battle, pretend to not care, yes, my strategy is working.

I wonder what Charizard would've done then.
    Last edited by dman_dustin; 10th March 2009 at 3:44 PM.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

The suspense in the episode was great. Poor pidgeotto, I really wish that it had been able to battle. The thing I hated was that Ash used charizard. He had others, why not use them?

I Don't Like This Episode At All, But I've Seen Ash Lose 6-2 To Paul Yesterday & That Was Worse Than Losing To Ritche.

Ah yes, Ash had to battle Ritchie sometime. Team Rocket ambushing Ash before his match was fiendishly clever, I must say. I don't remember what their motives were, for making him miss his battle, but I loved his escape. He went through hell and high water (literally) to make it to battle with Ritchie.

He probably would've won if he weren't so worn out by all that journeying he did. Poor Pikachu and Pidgeotto worked so hard! And Charizard goes and blows the whole thing. I was so disappointed! But hey, you learn and grow, and being in the Top 16 is certainly an achievement for one's first time in a League. Bravo, Ash!
    lord freeza i really need to use the space skype

Too bad that Ash lost. it was only because of Charizard, he was the guilty!

And Pikachu was brave. and loyal.

7/10
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

I really question Ash's wisdom in keeping Charizard with him when he could have had Muk or Kingler on his team. He knew that those ones would actually obey him..

But otherwise, this was a good episode. Ash losing so "unfairly" and embarrasingly (because Team Rocket exhausted him and his Charizard refused to obey), reinforces the point of the next episode. Which is "losing isn't so bad" and that there's more to life than just winning the competition.

Visit my Youtube Channel

Pokemon Y: Name: Yoda FC: 0001-3341-1988

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVader
    You may dispense with the pleasantries Commander; I am here to put you back on schedule.

Darn it!! I really hated Team Rocket in this episode. I mean, because of them, Ash's Pokemon were exhausted, not to mention he was almost disqualified

When he finally arrived I was like "Yes! This will be a two-part episode for sure!". Then he starts losing because Charizard doesn't want to bother battling.

So disappointing. I think the writers made a bad move. Ash lost horribly. I also blame Charizard. 9/10 though, since it was dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    Darn it!! I really hated Team Rocket in this episode. I mean, because of them, Ash's Pokemon were exhausted, not to mention he was almost disqualified

When he finally arrived I was like "Yes! This will be a two-part episode for sure!". Then he starts losing because Charizard doesn't want to bother battling.

So disappointing. I think the writers made a bad move. Ash lost horribly. I also blame Charizard. 9/10 though, since it was dramatic.
    Yes! One of the worst things that Team Rocket has done so far in my opinion. Too bad charizard didn't start listening til the orange islands or he would've won for sure!

This episode was good but kinda disappointing. I thought when Misty confronted Richie was really funny, he was so innocent lol. The battle between Ash and Richie was the disappointing part. I wanted it to be more epic, but it wasn't, and then Ash sends out Charizard and the match was pretty much over.

Again, I'm aware that some of the posts here have been made several years back. I'm just responding to give my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by charizard trainer #1 View Post
    Does anyone else feel Ash would have won the match if he had time to put his team together? In other words i believe Ash was the better trainer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
    i agree he should of won and he needed more time to select his team better.
    His line up wasn't really the problem, just that his Pokemon were worn out from earlier. Aside from not having a Ground Type, he had the right types on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    The battle was just terrible, and before the match and Team Rocket Ash got six Pokemon from Nurse Joy, surely Muk or even Kingler would've been a better choice than Charizard.
    Muk would be the better choice as Richie's last Pokemon was his Pikachu. Plus as we see, Muk can be quite the powerhouse.

Default Pokemon League Security?

I will have to say it drove me crazy to see Team Rocket in the Indigo Plateau after the events in the previous episode. They robbed several trainers of their Pokemon not the day before and no one is there to prevent them from coming back. It would have been better if during the episode Team Rocket tries to get back into the area but a team of security guards with insanely powerful Pokemon just demolish them. The League Conference is a pretty big deal in the Kanto region and I would expect that someone would be there to at least prevent those bumbling fools Jesse and James back after wreaking havoc. This episode would have been way better if it solely focused on the battle between Ash and Ritchie. And don't even get me started on Ash's Charizard. I understand the Anime bends the rules from the game a little, so just because Ash doe's have 8 badges it does not necessarily mean Charizard would obey Ash no matter what. I just think that overall since Ash met it as a Charmander he had been more than good in his treatment of it so for such an important battle in Ash's life he should have at least fought on his behalf, not completely flake out on him.
    Last edited by zodiacsage; 2nd June 2010 at 10:08 AM.

Ash's battle VS Ritchie wasn't that good, but I have to say I've enjoyed to watch it again. Ash's mistake in the battle was Squirtle. He shouldn't have to choose Squirtle in the first battle, when he knew Pikachu has a type advantage. Think about it, then Squitle would have managed to beat Ritchie's Charmander, and to win the battle. Learn from mistakes. Maybe next time.

Too much build up with this episode, as for the battle,very disapointingly rushed. Should have been made into a two parter

Charizard was still a **** at this point, Team Rocket -sighs- really my least favorite episode when it came to them, I mean thats a bit much for Pikachu after failing miserably every episode prior and suceeding this one.

Ah! I remember seeing this episode the first time when it was new. I think its quite shocking that Ash actually loses, but then again, I felt it was unfair that Team Rocket screwed him over as usual (Can't they give this guy a break for once?). I did find the part with Charizard disobeying Ash rather funny in this one, but seriously, Ash should have beaten Richie in this battle. If only he didn't use Squirtle so early, but nevertheless a superb episode and I'll give it a 9.5 out of 10. I loved the part where Misty came up into the stadium and almost got into a fight with Richie. XD

I really didn't like this episode. Ash was at such a serious disadvantage after TR screwed him over! Charizard just had to make things worse for the battle and Ash ended up losing to his new friend. It's not often I don't like an important battle episode.

0.5/100

I think this was one of the only times where I was mad that Ash lost a battle. O__o
    I wanted him to win this one, seeing as I didn't care for Ritchie that much.

Charizard really screwed Ash over by deciding to go to sleep on the battle field. I was hoping that Charizard would realize that this was a very important match and decide to obey Ash for once. I was really disappointed when it didn't. ;___;

If Team Rocket hadn't kidnapped Ash like that, then Pidgeotto would have been able to battle and then maybe he would have won. >__>
    But I must say, that Ritchie puppet doll Team Rocket used to trick Ash was funny.

Man, Misty is a real jerk sometimes and the Charizard thing couldn't have come up in the worst of times. It would have been better if Team Rocket made him miss the match then to see him lose like that. Damn! The writers were so not on Ash's side in Kanto.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 24th March 2011 at 9:22 PM.

My ideal battle ever!

Worst episode in the anime. Bar none. Even today as an adult I still wonder why they let Ash lose a battle like this. This episode is probably the reason as to why I dislike Ritchie so much. He seems like a perfect version of Ash. I'd would rather have seen a Tobias-esque beat down to this thing.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

I don't like Ash, but I still think he didn't deserve to lose. He was unable to use Pidgeotto (who was tired because of flying Ash to the stadium), Pikachu and Squirtle were tired from battling Team Rocket and Charizard didn't listen. Also, the rule of counting Charizard as defeated when it refused to battle was stupid. I'm sure Charizard would have gotten angry and roasted that Sparky with Flamethrower if Sparky would have attacked Charizard.

The Ritchie puppet / voice was awesome and hilarious!

It was great of Ritchie to ask the referee to wait for Ash, and that he wanted a battle, not an automatic win because Ash didn't show up.

It's Aerodactyl!
    I love how Jessie imitated Richie so well, and it was surprising to see how Ash used his brain in trying to get out of that van. It was funny to see how persistent Team Rocket were in this episode, they just wouldn't let Ash go. lol
    It was nice to see Richie being a good sport and asking for them to wait for Ash. Although Ash's Pokémon were tired from the previous events, I think Richie was still more deserving to win, so I'm glad he did. It's about time Ash didn't win everything! Besides if Ash was at this level and his Charizard still wouldn't obey him, he didn't deserve to win at all. If I was Ash I would have just released Charizard after that. I quite liked this episode. (:

xxx

Misty getting pissed at Ritchie for falling for the fake Ritchie voice that Jessie set up was funny. Ash suffered a lot in this episode because of TR. Pidgeotto was a hero for flying Ash to the stadium. I really wanted to see a good battle between him & Ritchie, he didn't deserve to lose. It's all TR's fault! Too bad they never fought again.
    Last edited by Blessed; 4th September 2012 at 2:41 AM.

I wonder what have happened if Richie hadn't told the referree to hold on the damn match. It's amazing on how much faith he had that he would show up even though they just met a few episodes ago. And Team Rocket are nothing but fools.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    I wonder what have happened if Richie hadn't told the referree to hold on the damn match.
    Then Ritchie would have won automatically, without battling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast