Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mystery Menace! (104)

Default The Mystery Menace! (104)

The Mystery Menace!

Heading to the other end of Mandarin Island, Ash & Co. discover theres a monster in the sewer that is causing lots of problems in the town. When the Mayor wants to blow it up, Joy protests and asks Ash & Co. to help, can they?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Only thing I like about this ep is that its Muks first and so far only Non-League usage
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets

At long last, I am returning with my Fan-Fic. Just need to find a better host. Blogger has done its course but I need just a little more recognition.

I freaking HATE "Mega" Evolution.

The mayor of that town was probably my least favorite character in the whole series. I didn't like this episode that much. The mayor sickens me. Did you see Bulbasaur being sent into the sewer all happy, and the mayor calling it weak? Bulbasaur's family is my favorite Pokemon family. Poor guy...
    Yeah!

Unhappy

this ep was so boring. i could fall a sleep if i watched it again this is just a filler. but i did like muke apprence.

I liked this episode, because of the bulbasaur. But the mayor sickens me.
    Used to be Absolkid, -Absol-, Former Absolkid and Cipher Admin Absolkid!

This was kind of an "eh" episode. But what I really didn't like was the final seconds of the ending, where you see Jessie, James, and Meowth still stuck in the sewer grate. At the "To Be Continued" screen - without any change in the video, mind you - we get treated to this little gem:

JAMES: Achoo!
    (clank)
    JESSIE: The bars!
    MEOWTH: We're free!

Apparently, 4Kids didn't want the audience thinking they'd be stuck down there forever or something. Of course, it's obvious it's a dub change because the bars don't even move.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse GS the II
    This was kind of an "eh" episode. But what I really didn't like was the final seconds of the ending, where you see Jessie, James, and Meowth still stuck in the sewer grate. At the "To Be Continued" screen - without any change in the video, mind you - we get treated to this little gem:

JAMES: Achoo!
    (clank)
    JESSIE: The bars!
    MEOWTH: We're free!

Apparently, 4Kids didn't want the audience thinking they'd be stuck down there forever or something. Of course, it's obvious it's a dub change because the bars don't even move.
    .......And?

So what if they slightly alter the final ending - it doesn't affect the storyline in any way.

I'm not labelling you in anyway because you seem happy with the changes but I just don't know why some other people have such an obsession with being so critical on 4kids, yes they did suggest Brock's mother died when she didn't and do make some other manipulations, but really people should be able to understand the story from the images without any dubbing interpretations.

Other than that the episode was a bit ordinary - it's the sort of episode you'd expect to see in Scooby Doo or something. The whole "Bad Guy Mayor" thing has been overplayed for years now.
    Last edited by Sharpshooter; 9th December 2004 at 3:31 PM.

Actually, I wasn't happy with the change - "this little gem" was sarcasm. It just bugs me that 4Kids seems to think their viewers will get all upset if everything isn't resolved at the end of the episode.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

Heh, yeah they really don't understand that kind of stuff. Same deal as the fourth movie I guess, they completely changed it around and ruined the whole story because they thought the American fans would want it that way, when in reality they couldn't be more wrong. This small change never really bothered me, but 4Kids attitude towards these kind of things does. Anyway, I actually really enjoyed this episode. I don't really know why, but it was just kinda cool with Ash & co. wandering around in the sewer and the whole 'mystery pokémon' and such, even though it was pretty obvious from the beginning what it was. The mayor was a real jerk, naturally, but that only made it more satisfying at the end when he got what he deserved. ^_^
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Heracross
    The mayor was a real jerk, naturally, but that only made it more satisfying at the end when he got what he deserved. ^_^

I loved it when he was a kid - it's Gary in disguise! "Quit your Blubbering" Matt Mittler's voice acting's great.

The Mayor is lucky he wasn't arrested for breaking international law. You can't hold foreign nationals (at least couldn't when this was made) without charge and you can't hire private armies to circumvent the police or military. However, this is a kids show.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

this was a pretty good episode. I liked how Misty got a role near the ending. The only thing I didnt like is that Ash didnt show so much emotion or reaction when she was gone

Reach high,
    For
    stars lie hidden in your soul.
    Dream deep,
    For every
    dream precedes the goal.

+:: Ralph Vaull Starr ::+

vulpix Guest

to me this episode had alot of mystery,but i kinda figured the "Mystery Menace" would be a grass type.

PokeFan4Ever7783 Guest

I liked seeing how much Ash wanted to save Bulbasaur for once instead of Pikachu. Finally a little change.

Brocksketchum Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter
    I loved it when he was a kid - it's Gary in disguise! "Quit your Blubbering" Matt Mittler's voice acting's great.
    I thought so too. Doesn't he have the same eyes or something?

The Mayor statue reminds me of something... can't remember what though.

Now that I'm older, I can really see the politics in this episode, with the mayor trying to cover up his past wrongdoings. I wonder if he was covering things up because he thought his bulbasaur was dead and somebody would find it down there? Of course I'm looking at this from an adult's view, and not a kid's show, but I can't help it, this episode is a little unusual in that way.

I do like the part at the very end of the episode, though, when Team Rocket gets out of the sewers with just a sneeze. LOL
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 11/10 NEW!! 11/13
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

blackgales Guest

i really enjoyed watching this episode. the mayor was hilarious at the end and im glad that they didnt blow up the bulbasaur

A pretty good epi. Nice to see a Bulbasaur that didnt belong to ash. The Mayor annoyed me.6/10

Friend Code Coming Soon When I Find My DS

I didn't like the mayor in this filler ep.

I'll never forget this episode aired near the end of May 2000, and that was when I was starting to get sick of Pokemon. That was also the season where KidsWB aired three episodes of Pokemon a week, and this episode aired by itself, so I was mad at that. Not to mention, KidsWB didn't air the Trovita Gym episodes until the following September, so this was their unofficial "season finale." I can see why they lost a lot of viewers around this time. Luckily, I eventually got back into Pokemon.

Anyways, to the episode. I misread a summary of this episode, and I thought that the Mayor used to be Ash's Bulbasaur's previous owner. Too bad, because that would have been a very interesting plot. It was cool seeing Muk, though, and that Surfing Pikachu when the Mayor's tub exploded. Other than that, this was a pretty forgettable episode.

Ha, it was a Bulbasaur all along, at least they didn't blow it up

n o e l - v e r m i l l i o n
    ノエル=ヴァーミリオン

An ok filler only real highlight was seeing Muk being used, i'm guessing Ash sent Bulbasaur's pokeball to Oak to get Muk since he already had six pokemon with him.
    My Grandmother always said...
    "She who walks the path of heaven will rule over everything"

Mana (4914-3452-1470) (X)
    Gyarados, Octillary, and Azumarill

Eh the mayor was pretty good. This filler was kind of stupid though. Seemed pointless. Cool to see Muk again.
    Last edited by Igottapoo; 8th January 2009 at 9:25 AM.

What you love of mine is always yours.
    Animated by me.
    Wife ~ Daughter ~ Pair ~ Twin ~ Claim

^ meh, for some reason i have something against muks, they look nothing like a pokemon should._.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast