Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roll On, Pokémon! (122)

Watching this episode again after 8 or 9 years has really caught me off guard. Here was me thinking that this was one of those renowned Johto fillers that I would never watch again, but here I am almost a decade later and actually enjoying it for the fact that Heracross actually gets some battle time. Who'da thunk?!

That being said, the plot in this episode isn't very compelling and perhaps begins the trend of the Johto saga's one-shot COTD's trying to solve a problem with the help of Ash, Misty and Brock. I found it difficult to watch all the way through, but the saving graces were definitely Heracross and Brock battling. I never remembered Heracross to be such a BEAST in early Johto! Onix went down a little easily to that young Donphan's Rollout though - definitely the beginning of Brock's demise that continues to this day.

Finally, the one thing that depressed me overall from this episode was the fact that Misty and Brock pointed out how Heracross would grow to be a real fighting machine in the future with training under its belt. What compelled the writers to then dump it only a matter of episodes later? Mystery.

EDIT: Then again, after rewatching some more of the Johto episodes up to Azalea Town, it does turn out that Heracross did actually get some decent screentime before it was axed. It's a shame it never got a Gym Battle to show off its battling skills though. However, beating Gary's Magmar in the Silver Conference was still quite a feat to be honest.
    Last edited by Blazing Charmander; 4th July 2010 at 5:50 PM.

The first time Ash has seen the Donphan I knew he will catch one in the future. It was so obvious.

Their sense of smell really strong. It's not easy to smell things from so far away place. It'd be nice if they've been doing this to find other things.
    Last edited by Misty Lover17; 21st July 2010 at 1:30 PM.

First filler in Johto, interesting episode, Haha gotta love Brock flirting! <3 Donphan is an amazing Pokemon, one of my faves.

Team Rocket just steal the weakest Donphan... -_-

Heracross is very strong but that 'phan was uber.

9.5/10
    Last edited by RickHoenn; 8th September 2010 at 9:54 PM.

I laughed when Brock's actually lost to the baby Donphan. I was all 'Oh why Brock why?' when that happened. I was also relieved when Ash lost the battle today since it showed how much he still needed (and needs) to learn.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Didn't really like this filler episode. Odd how Brock lost to the baby Donphan. It was cool seeing Donphan for the 1st time. It's cool that they could smell out the Amberite.

10/100

I don't like filler episode's. It was coo seeing Donphan for the first time though.

4/10

This episode was interesting with the Amberite, but I wasn't too impressed by it.
    Last edited by Blessed; 3rd September 2012 at 2:06 PM.

Everyone here immeaditely knew that when ash saw a donphan he was catch one later. And it turned out to be one of his best pokemon ever
    BLACK FRIEND CODE :1077 4097 9449
    Current runs: Cecil only run of ff4,fighter only run of ff1 and a 6 heart run of skyward sword.
    78% Pokémaniac! If Pokémon wasn't here, your life would be very different. You're probably addicted to the Pokémon games and try to get new ones as soon as you can, watch the animé every time and think about Pokémon all day. Yet, something probably gets in the way between you and Pokémon that prevents you from confusing this world and the Pokémon world.
    HG nuzlocke run team:butterfree

Team Rocket stealing the "useless" Donphan was funny, Brock got a flirting opportunity and Ash got put in his place and lost a battle. A good filler, 9/10.

This wasn't Donphan's debute, Donphan appeared in the first movie...

It's Hoothoot!
    So, Brock should take the weaker Donphan because he's a breeder, yet his Onix gets OHKOd by a move it resists x4. Bad breeder! Anyway this episode wasn't anything special, even Team Rocket didn't entertain too much.

xxx

I saw this episode more recently than most Johto episodes, since I missed it when it first aired, but despite that I didn't find this episode to be that memorable. I did think it was funny when Brock's Onix got owned by Donphan, but other than that, I found this to be a fairly boring episode.

This episode was "meh"
    I was a bit confused when the baby Donphan beat Brock's Onix. *facepalm*
    6.5/10
    [IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/jt7yg2.jpg[/IMG]

This is the first episode I saw from Johto and I was quite satisfied with Donphan's introduction. That Pokémon is a beast and I'm happy Ash had one later. For the rest was this filler episode a little standard, but still quite enjoyable to watch.

Powerhouse vs powerhouse. A good battle. Heracross did a fine job against Donphan.

I liked this episode, I'm surprised Ash forgot about the Donphan he saw in the movie though haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12