Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Totodile Duel (153)

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Not really. In that case she probably wouldn't catch Corsola with Totodile getting same amount of focus like her most active pokemon Corsola and Poliwhirl did. Which received more or less equal amount of focus as Ash Totodile did.

I think it was mistake to give Ash all three starters in Johto competing with his Kanto trio, which resulted in underdeveloped and poorly handled Johto team.

At least with Misty Totodile would have get better training since she is water trainer with water types being her specialty(Poliwhirl had bigger win record than Ash Totodile in JOhto), and actually have chance to evolve considering how it would likely be used in gym battles gaining experience. As opposite to rotting at Oaks lab.
    Well as we saw with Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charizard, Ash having all 3 starters can be done and it could be brilliant as well. The Kanto starters are the ones everyone remembers. I think the writers did a really great job with those 3. They each had their own personalities and focus and you could really get the sense that Ash had a strong bond with them. So the writers did a great job there especially with Charizard. Bulbasaur and Squirtle didn't evolve but they didn't have to. People fell so in love with Bulbasaur and Squirtle that you never heard people say, "why didn't Ash make them evolve?!" I guess you heard some of that but not much. Now I didn't watch Johto in awhile so I won't judge but the reason his Johto Pokemon were handled poorly is probably because Ash still had his Kanto starters with him. I mean in THE JOHTO SEASON, it was Ash's Kanto Pokemon Charizard that won Ash his first badge, last badge, beat Gary, battled Entei and fought with Blaziken. I loved that honestly because I am such a Charizard fan so of course I didn't mind it. But when you have the writers giving Charizard the big wins in Johto, it takes something away from his Johto Pokemon. It makes it look like the writers didn't care about them as much as Charizard which I'm sure they cared for Charizard way more. But the point is with a series as long as Johto, Ash having 3 starter Pokemon could work if the writers did their job. Like I said, I didn't see Johto in awhile so I won't really say if the writers did their job or not. Although I will say it is kinda strange how Cyndaquill ended up evolving in Sinnoh. They had time to evolve him in Johto. Little strange to me. No big deal. But Cyndaquill evolving is a huge thing. It would have been awesome if it happened in Johto and then Quilava was a force in the Johto League. I mean if the writers are gonna evolve Ash's Pokemon especially a starter Pokemon like Cyndaquill, it makes sense for it to be in Johto since Ash is with Quilava. Quilava appeared in Sinnoh but at that point, Ash didn't travel with Quilava so we didn't really get to have to many episodes with Quilava like we did with Bayleef since Quilava quickly got sent back to Oak after he battled in the Sinnoh League and Quilava didn't even get to battle against Tobias.

Misty should have gotten it, deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel~ View Post
    Misty should have gotten it, deal.
    Wouldn't have changed anything. Sorry. Besides, she already has an *** full of water pokemon. She can use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    Wouldn't have changed anything. Sorry. Besides, she already has an *** full of water pokemon. She can use them.
    Yeah and we all know that the writers were gonna give Ash a water Pokemon every region. I think Ash still had Squirtle when he got Totodile. I think he did. Not too sure though. But Ash needed a water type since Squirtle left in Johto anyway. It didn't necessarily have to be Totodile but since at that point in the show they always gave Ash the starters it made sense. Sicne then, the writers made it a point that Ash doesn't need to always get the starters. Atleast they made it that way in Hoenn and Sinnoh.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    It would because looking long term Totodile would have received more training and development if stayed with Misty due to likely being used for gym battles. Which would increase his chances for evolution, as well probably having more wins in Johto than it did under Ash command. If Poliwhirl or Corsola were anything to go by.

What purpose dos it serve currently rotting at Oaks lab?

It would because looking long term Totodile would have received more training and development if stayed with Misty due to likely being used for gym battles. Which would increase his chances for evolution, as well probably having more wins in Johto than it did under Ash command. If Poliwhirl or Corsola were anything to go by.

What if he gave it to Misty before he left for Hoenn when they were saying goodbye. Kinda like when James gave Cacnea to Gardenia so Cacnea could get stronger? Misty could then use Totodile for her gym battles.

I know right? this is why I think Misty deserved it it would be training, like her other water pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    Well as we saw with Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charizard, Ash having all 3 starters can be done and it could be brilliant as well. The Kanto starters are the ones everyone remembers. I think the writers did a really great job with those 3. They each had their own personalities and focus and you could really get the sense that Ash had a strong bond with them. So the writers did a great job there especially with Charizard. Bulbasaur and Squirtle didn't evolve but they didn't have to. People fell so in love with Bulbasaur and Squirtle that you never heard people say, "why didn't Ash make them evolve?!" I guess you heard some of that but not much. Now I didn't watch Johto in awhile so I won't judge but the reason his Johto Pokemon were handled poorly is probably because Ash still had his Kanto starters with him. I mean in THE JOHTO SEASON, it was Ash's Kanto Pokemon Charizard that won Ash his first badge, last badge, beat Gary, battled Entei and fought with Blaziken. I loved that honestly because I am such a Charizard fan so of course I didn't mind it. But when you have the writers giving Charizard the big wins in Johto, it takes something away from his Johto Pokemon. It makes it look like the writers didn't care about them as much as Charizard which I'm sure they cared for Charizard way more. But the point is with a series as long as Johto, Ash having 3 starter Pokemon could work if the writers did their job. Like I said, I didn't see Johto in awhile so I won't really say if the writers did their job or not. Although I will say it is kinda strange how Cyndaquill ended up evolving in Sinnoh. They had time to evolve him in Johto. Little strange to me. No big deal. But Cyndaquill evolving is a huge thing. It would have been awesome if it happened in Johto and then Quilava was a force in the Johto League. I mean if the writers are gonna evolve Ash's Pokemon especially a starter Pokemon like Cyndaquill, it makes sense for it to be in Johto since Ash is with Quilava. Quilava appeared in Sinnoh but at that point, Ash didn't travel with Quilava so we didn't really get to have to many episodes with Quilava like we did with Bayleef since Quilava quickly got sent back to Oak after he battled in the Sinnoh League and Quilava didn't even get to battle against Tobias.
    Cyndaquil not evolving in Johto wasn't really that much of a big deal since he was a really powerful pokemon ,people were ok with him not evolving in Johto and Totodile going with Ash was a good move because Totodile still became a strong pokemon. Cyndaquil evolving later in Sinnoh should not had happen and the only reason why he evolve was for them to promote the HeartGold and SoulSilver games. I'm pretty sure a lot of people said why Bulbasaur and Squritle did not evolve but they were ok with them not evolving, a lot of people didn't mind that Cyndaquil and Totodile did not evolve in Johto since they were ok it. Ash taking the Kanto pokemon with him to Johto was the best move the writers ever made,even though Ash still had his kanto Pokemon the Johto Pokemon were handled perfectly well.

Ash's Johto team was handled horribly. Everyone wanted Cyndaquil and Totodile to evolve in Johto, where have you been the last 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Ash's Johto team was handled horribly. Everyone wanted Cyndaquil and Totodile to evolve in Johto, where have you been the last 10 years?
    Not everyone wanted Cyndaquil are Totodile to evolve? You seem to forgot everyone has different opinions on wether the Johto team was handled poorly are not.

Quote Originally Posted by sereb devil View Post
    Not everyone wanted Cyndaquil are Totodile to evolve? You seem to forgot everyone has different opinions on wether the Johto team was handled poorly are not.
    The majority of the fandom certainly did. The fact that Ash's Johto team is almost unamiously agree to be his worst team in the entire series says a lot. The writers even completely abandoned the Johto starters to rot at Oak's lab getting little to no screentime because of it.

There's a reason why Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard came back so much and the Johto team was treated like throwaway crap in comparison. Ash's Hoenn got tremendous amount of screentime and most likely his DP Pokemon will make a comeback as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    The majority of the fandom certainly did. The fact that Ash's Johto team is almost unamiously agree to be his worst team in the entire series says a lot. The writers even completely abandoned the Johto starters to rot at Oak's lab getting little to no screentime because of it.

There's a reason why Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard came back so much and the Johto team was treated like throwaway crap in comparison. Ash's Hoenn got tremendous amount of screentime and most likely his DP Pokemon will make a comeback as well.
    I don't think the fandom really had a problem with Cyndaquil and Totodile not evolving. It is only opinions wether the Johto
    team is the worst team of the series are not ,since it is only opinions not facts,the Johto did had some good focus and sreentime ,and they weren't treated like crap either.

The reason why the writers brought back Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard was due to them being Ash's first original starters,Ash even used them over his Hoenn team pretty much says a lot,as for the DP Team they are not coming back anytime soon but only the writers know that.

This episode was so funny and a true classic.

This episode was great - Misty and Ash both got something out of this episode. Ash got a new Pokémon and Misty's Poliwag evolved in Poliwhirl.

I actually agree that bringing Ash's Kanto Pokémon to Johto was a hit and miss simultaneously. Yes, it was awesome to see some extra action of the awesome team Ash build during Kanto, but it also made screening time for Ash's Johto Pokémon much less that comparing it to other regions like Hoenn and Sinnoh. In the end, I think it was good for Ash having Totodile - considering the fact Ash's Squirtle went back to the Squirtle Squad and was thus without any water-type Pokémon + Misty captured a Corsela later on in the series. With those two thing in mind, it was fair to give Ash Totodile for his time in Johto. Whether it was more useful if Misty got Totodile for her gym matches than instead staying at Oak's ranch is debatable in my opinion.

Anyway, that is my take on it lol.

It was really cute the way Ash and Misty fought over the Totodile. It showed that they cared for one another.

As for Totodile itself, I liked its energetic personality over the years. If only Ash had named it "Spurrier" after a certain football coach.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    RIP Foghorn Leghorn and Casey Kasem

Quote Originally Posted by FullMetalAlchemist View Post
    It was really cute the way Ash and Misty fought over the Totodile. It showed that they cared for one another.
    No it didn't. It showed that they both wanted that Totodile instead of fishing for another one.

My ideal battle ever!

*Stomps on the ground angrily like Burgundy* Why why why why why? Staryu could have won. But, I guess since Staryu's record is better than Chikorita's it had to happen.

Totodile winks, Misty swoons.

Classic Misty.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

Did anyone else feel at least a little bad for that poor Totodile?

Imagine: You're innocently dancing around the water like the weirdo you are just like everyday when these two creeps that can't stop screaming at each other start following you around and one of them ends up catching you. Not only that, they don't know which of them caught you so they have to go and battle over you.

--

I honestly think/hope it was Misty's Poke'ball that caught it. xDD

Too bad that Waninoko eventually went to Satoshi and he received the least development. I love the interaction between Satoshi and Kasumi for Waninoko. But it should be Kasumi to win the battle and if that happens then Waninoko probably receives a better development.

Misty already has enough water Pokemon, so she didn't need Totodile.
    Plus, she got a Poliwhirl out of the battle, so that's fair enough.

I'm loving this Totodile's personality.
    Alpha Sapphire planned team (so far)

Claimed by me!

Mega Wishlist:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123