Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Trick Phoney! (250)

Default One Trick Phoney! (250)

One Trick Phoney

Ash & Co. head to the Battle Park where they find 3 trainers...with Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise willing to battle. Ash is up for the challenge and challenges them. Will he become triumphant?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

The absolute best part of this episode has to be Ash getting beaten by James in a long, fair battle. It's about time Team Rocket actually beat the twerps in a battle that lasted a long time without using any tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by wobbanut
    The absolute best part of this episode has to be Ash getting beaten by James in a long, fair battle. It's about time Team Rocket actually beat the twerps in a battle that lasted a long time without using any tricks.
    And the fact that he did it with Venusaur (my fav out of the Kanto starters)
    Breezy is my little sister. Anyone who messes with her has to answer to me!
    My Twin's are Trillian and Sakara

Quote Originally Posted by Lupin
    And the fact that he did it with Venusaur (my fav out of the Kanto starters)
    Agreed. Koujiro did incredable in that match. Not only was he able to beat Satoshi in a battle for the first time, it was also against a Pokemon that had the type advantage and is one of Satoshi's strongest members. Musashi totally bombed though. XD

"Please don't look at me that way, I'm a very shy little girl!"

Hmmmm... see, this is why I didn't like Ash's Old Way of Thinking. Or at least, the scriptwriters. Ash managed to beat a frikking CHARIZARD with a Totodile. Blastoise, I can understand, losing to Pikachu, but...

...Totodile beating a 'Zard? Not thanks. >_>

James with Venusaur was AWESOME though. And it was nice to see James acting so lovingly with it. ;o;

This was one of my favorite episodes of Master Quest.

Yep. That's all I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybercubed
    This was one of my favorite episodes of Master Quest.

Yep. That's all I have to say.
    Pffft. Jumping on the bandwagon just 'cause I replied, eh, Cyber?

I loved everything about this episode. James, the battles, the Pokemon...

...but ROFL at Ash using his Pokedex on Charizard. I mean, I know it was for the kids, but you'd think he'd know everything about them. >_> And nice how NOBODY else made ANY REACTION TO CHARIZARD WHATSOEVER. Not even frikking Ash! (It was the same in the You-Know-What League. :P)

And... :0

This was a great episode, one of the best Johto epis I'd say. Wish I could see it again, I only saw it once...

This episode was a great one for James, shows that he is a grass preferable guy(Victreebel, Cacnea...and he really liked the Venusaur in this ep). I really like James, so much more of a nice side to him then Jesse or Meowth. This episode also proves that he is, in fact, a much better trainer than Jesse. I like episodes where we get to see James put up good fights(The Bicker the Better, That's Just Swellow, etc.)

Funnily enough, I never saw The Fortune Hunters though...heard it was a nice eppy for James.

Cheers!
    ~Bulby
    Last edited by Bulba the Great!; 7th June 2005 at 12:50 AM.
    I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.

^This is my new fanfic. It's a work in progress, so please read and comment at your discretion. I hope you like it. I think you will.

Many, many thanks to Mew, who created this exceptional banner!

Harry Potter and How I Met Your Mother are currently my life.

That filler ep was hilarious. I really liked Jessie's stupidity, the battles and the animation.

This is one of my favorite Master quest episodes, James is a much better battler than Jessie, she was so dumb there

n o e l - v e r m i l l i o n
    ノエル=ヴァーミリオン

This episode is one of my favorites also in Master Quest, minus that Jesse looks dumb on choosing the moves for Charizard. And Ash's Pikachu beat Blastoise? Oh yes, it happened.

This is a great episode, although Totodile defeating a Charizard was a little random.

i was surprised that ash got beaten by James in a battle, i'll give this episode a 9/10.

it's cool seeing all the final evolutions of the first gen at once. But I didn't like this episode much.

What you love of mine is always yours.
    Animated by me.
    Wife ~ Daughter ~ Pair ~ Twin ~ Claim

this was my all time fave ep
    by far the best ep ive ever seen

totodile beating charizard was perfectly fine. If Ash's weak Pika won against Blastoise, then Zard can lose to toto, its very logical.
    My Best Team: Dragonite, Salamence, Gengar, Alakazam, Machamp, Gyarados

It was a great episode, James vs Ash was the best part
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

Good episode.

I thought Misty's comment about ash battling all three starters (Pokemon he has owned) was funny.

It's ironic how ash uses his pokedex yet he should know all about them. Oh well, everything for the sake of the viewer

Well, he might have wanted to refresh his memory, as he hadn't faced them in battle to often. That's a good enough reason to use the 'dex.

As for Pikachu beating a Blastoise and Totodile beating a Charizard, I don't have a problem believing it. For one, Pikachu is unusually strong; even Hunter J has commented on it. Put that with a type advantage and Ash could have won even with his first season tactics. Totodile also had a type advantage, even though it wasn't as inherently powerful; I've beaten fully-evolved forms with first-evolution forms in the games, and the anime seems to make some things easier, so it would stand to reason that it could happen that way.
    Walk a little further off the beaten path
    And we’ll drive on even if we get there last
    Our backs against the wall and we will lunge and bite
    And we’ll rage, rage, rage against the dying of the light
    Here And Now by Great Big Sea

My shinies-

I thought the battles in this episode were great. I was really surprised the James managed to beat Ash's Cyndaquil with Venusaur. However, grass Pokemon are the greatest I think if James would have battled all three times he might have been able to sweep Ash. I wasn't all that impressed with the Totodile versus Charizard battle. I am glad Totodile won though. The Blastoise versus Pikachu battle was pretty good. I wish Ash would have used Bayleef though, then it could have been the three Kanto starters versus the three Johto starters. I liked Misty's comment about Ash battling about the evolved stages of three Pokemon he had (or technically still has, maybe excluding Squirtle). It surprised me that Ash brought out his Pokedex for them though.
    I <3 May.

I do not do competitive battling and I really do not have any desire to. I also do not go out of my way seeking for shinies because I never really understood why they were so great anyways. All I truely enjoy pokemon contests, breeding, and in-game battling.

I think grass pokemon are the greatest ever and I take great pride in the ones I have raised. I also think that Chikorita is the most adorable pokemon ever!

If you would like to know me send me a message. I'm not shy(:

Quote Originally Posted by Hibachi View Post
    I thought the battles in this episode were great. I was really surprised the James managed to beat Ash's Cyndaquil with Venusaur. However, grass Pokemon are the greatest I think if James would have battled all three times he might have been able to sweep Ash. I wasn't all that impressed with the Totodile versus Charizard battle. I am glad Totodile won though. The Blastoise versus Pikachu battle was pretty good. I wish Ash would have used Bayleef though, then it could have been the three Kanto starters versus the three Johto starters. I liked Misty's comment about Ash battling about the evolved stages of three Pokemon he had (or technically still has, maybe excluding Squirtle). It surprised me that Ash brought out his Pokedex for them though.
    It's been a a very long time since i watched this episode. Don't tell me he used his pokedex for charizard!
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

I haven't watched this episode in years but i remember jessie telling charizard to use poison sting. i remember charizard's reaction and it was funny.
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

Nice Episode! Love the battle with all starter pokemon.

I think the battle between Charizard and Totodile was the best.

Pikachu was amazing, it defeated a Blastoise, how bad Cyndaquil lost.

8/10
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

Yeah, this episode was pretty great since it showcased the evolved forms of certain Starter Pokemon. The Battle Park facility also added something new and exciting to the anime, though it never returns sadly. This reminded me of that Pokemon test episode from Kanto, with all the rental Pokemon being used and such. Very well cool story and a cast of awesome Pokemon really made this episode exciting. 8/10.
    Last edited by Lorde; 13th November 2010 at 3:08 AM.

The battle between James and Ash was pretty good, nice to see James win
    I don't think Totodile defeating Charizard making it hard to believe, it's Rhydon VS Pikachu etc things like that would be hard to believe. Speaking of the fire type it is a bit stupid Ash used the pokedex against him. I am all understanding that he would forget Pokemon he hasn't seen in a while or wants to make sure there's an update but Charizard still.

Alfsono or whoever said it- Misty does mention to no one that Ash is battling all evolved form of Pokemon he owned.

But anyways overrall this was one of the good episodes in Johto
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast