Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ties That Bind! (271)

Default The Ties That Bind! (271)

The Ties That Bind!

After getting past the group rounds, Ash is suprised to find his first battle is against Gary. Reminded of his first feud with Gary, he swears that this battle will end the rivalry once and for all. Will he succeed?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

The best part of this episode, and the best part of the Silver Conference, has to be the flashback to Ash and Gary fishing. That scene is just plain hilarious, with Ash angrily flapping his arm at Gary and Gary showing Ash up. It was great to see a pre-series flashback, and it makes for an excellent episode.

Hales Guest

I liked this episode a lot... I wish Gary had been more of a friend than a rival, especially since Gary is Prof. Oak's grandson... poor old Prof. Oak... makes me wonder how much he hated the rivalry...

Ahem... anyway I really enjoyed this episode!

meggirl63 Guest

One thing I didn't like about that episode is the part where Ash's computer crashed with all those little Gary faces. You know what I mean.......I hide everytime it's shown. If that happened to me, I would sooooo hide!

Possibly the only great thing about this episode was the start of the battle. Heracross' match against Magmar was awesome. o_O

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Factory Head Noland Guest

Heracross put up a great battle in this episode, Gary's Magmar was tough.
    It's a pity that Ash's Tauros got beaten so easily by Gary's Nidoqueen, it done a lot better in the battle against Drake in the Orange Islands.

meggirl63 Guest

Yeah, I really liked the start of the battle! Oh, it was funny when Misty said that Gary's cheerleaders have returned Brock went crazy and said 'And not a moment too soon! What a schmorgitsport of beauty!'!!!!! That was hilarious!!!!!

The best bit in this whole episode was Herracross battle with magmar. The attacks were intense- fireblast as an example.

ronster486 Guest

Well, I think the part with Heracross was wierd. I mean come on, how can a Bug type survive a Fire Blast and Flamethrower. Besides that I liked the episode because of the flashbacks in the episode and the computer crash

Shiny May Guest

well I liked this episode a lot. The battles so far were good. Like how Ash was really excited and stayed up all night. And the flashback in this episode was nice too !!

These battles were improved here however I felt Gary's character has since Johto been in decline. The flashback was obviously written in to explain Gary's future actions in the following episodes as foreshadowing but I thought it unrealistic, and it doesn't fit in with Ash's journey in the earlier episodes. Gary acts like he hardly knows Ash, perhaps out of sarcasm in the first episode which no matter how you view this, throws this flashback out of the line of events. (timeline is off)
    Er-hem!...Congradulations, Ash, you and your pokemon are hall of famers!"

This was a pretty cool episode. I enjoyed the side remarks in the audience when that one guy said something like, "I went to school with Gary you know." That was amusing. Poor Tauros didn't stand a chance.

Ah tauros, i felt it could've battled a lot better. Interesting how Gary brought blaistoise so early in the battle.

Thanks to Aurora Wish for making this card- totally awesome.

The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.
    Paul Valery

"I grew up with six brothers. That's how I learned to dance: waiting for the bathroom."
    Bob Hopes

The flashback was definelty the best part in this episode

n o e l - v e r m i l l i o n
    ノエル=ヴァーミリオン

Another great episode where we get to see Ash against his old rival and friend Gary.Those flashbacks of Ash and Gary fishing just make up for even better feeling for the whole episode.

Battle was great and it was interesting to see Ashs Tauros in action despite losing so quick against Nidoqueen.Also that battle against Garys Magmar and Heracross was fantastic and it was great when he used megahorn defeating Magmars flame along with him winning despite the disadvantage which he had against fire attacks.Ash vs Gary was truly one of the best battles in Johto tournament without a doubt.

This episode... I think anyone who knows me will know why it's my favorite...

Long story short; Ash & Gary! OMG <3

*refrains from exploding*

It was so cool to see Charizard come back, as well as Oak & Delia come to cheer on their... kin? lol ^_^

The start of the battle was great ^^ Nidoqueen is awesome! But I also enjoyed Heracross kicking Magmar's butt >P (I'd be like Ash's mom; taking pictures in the audience, lol)
    Last edited by Tadashi; 23rd November 2008 at 7:52 AM. Reason: rank up; Sootopolis City~
    lord freeza i really need to use the space skype

The Gary and Ash fishing part was cool. It didn't really fit with the first episode but oh well.

What you love of mine is always yours.
    Animated by me.
    Wife ~ Daughter ~ Pair ~ Twin ~ Claim

hm, i keep saying it but gary is and remains a real turd and i don't like him because of that, still the episode was a nice one though.

I think it is funny when Gary says well Ash it looks like that Magikarp was playing with you he is funny

It was a nice episode, Gary is my fave rival and it was a great match
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

I agree it was a good episode.

I was honestly surprised that Ash and Gary are going to have to battle. Although, I know that it will be an amazing match. Gary's pokemon are very powerful and I am pretty sure all of them are fully evolved. I thought that Ash made a pretty good choice using Tauros, but Gary's Nidoqueen was much too powerful. Then again, I was extremely surprised to see Heracross defeat Magmar, even though it looked as if it was on the verge of defeat. Now Gary made a risky move by sending out Blastoise this early. Obviously it is his strongest pokemon. I only hope Heracross has enough strength left to beat it.

I thought that the flashback to when Ash and Gary were fighting over the pokeball the caught with their fishing poles was funny. It just comes to show that they have always competed against each other about everything. It didn't surprise me that Harrison won his match. I also liked Professor Oak's references to how Ash's Tauros and Heracross are strong because of spending time at the lab.
    I <3 May.

I do not do competitive battling and I really do not have any desire to. I also do not go out of my way seeking for shinies because I never really understood why they were so great anyways. All I truely enjoy pokemon contests, breeding, and in-game battling.

I think grass pokemon are the greatest ever and I take great pride in the ones I have raised. I also think that Chikorita is the most adorable pokemon ever!

If you would like to know me send me a message. I'm not shy(:

I've heard an error that the referee called machamp machoke! :P
    Herracross is great!

Poor Taurus, it lost so quickly.

Heracross was amazing!

8/10
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

This is one of my favorite episodes, mainly because I finally got to see Ash and Gary battle and I finally got to see Gary's starter, Blastoise. This battle was really great and Gary has some awesome pokemon. I also like the fact that they provided some back story to Ash and Gary's relationship, it helped me to understand their rivalry a little more. Overall this episode was a 10/10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast