Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 198

Thread: Gotta Catch Ya Later! (275)

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    I am not particularly sad about Misty not being a main character anymore, I am disappointed about how the gym thing came out of nowhere, maybe if they planted the seeds for it earilier...
    Foreshadowing back in the OS was done badly. They also have Gary decide to become a researcher out of completely nowhere with no hints prior that he was going to change his goal.

    Although back in 2002, Pokemon.com leaked the AG cast poster like 9 months before Johto even ended, so people who were online at the time had like 9 months notice a head of time. I guess little kids didn't know though.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    I am not particularly sad about Misty not being a main character anymore, I am disappointed about how the gym thing came out of nowhere, maybe if they planted the seeds for it earilier...
    Gym thing came out of nowhere mainly because it purpose was to serve as plot device to get rid of Misty as main character, being reflection of writers inability to come up with better excuse to have character replaced. That's why Misty departure was so abrupt and rushed with character taking over gym out of necessity and obligation(she never changed career like Gary or Brock did). While her goal of becoming water master and story in general was left unresolved.

    Which was one of biggest disappointments because Misty never received proper closure not being provided what are her future plans, with there being lot of unfold potential.
    Personally when she left cast i didn't welcomed it , because she was great character which had fun personality and knew how to bring endearing dynamic in cast, and her story had interesting premise behind it which could have been taken to many directions.

    Hopefully when anime comes to an end writers will reunite first trio for whole or half of season to wrap things up and develop them more, being nice touch for things coming full circle.
    Imo anyway.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Gym thing came out of nowhere mainly because it purpose was to serve as plot device to get rid of Misty as main character, being reflection of writers inability to come up with better excuse to have character replaced. That's why Misty departure was so abrupt and rushed with character taking over gym out of necessity and obligation(she never changed career like Gary or Brock did). While her goal of becoming water master and story in general was left unresolved.

    Which was one of biggest disappointments because Misty never received proper closure not being provided what are her future plans, with there being lot of unfold potential.
    Personally when she left cast i didn't welcomed it , because she was great character which had fun personality and knew how to bring endearing dynamic in cast, and her story had interesting premise behind it which could have been taken to many directions.

    Hopefully when anime comes to an end writers will reunite first trio for whole or half of season to wrap things up and develop them more, being nice touch for things coming full circle.
    Imo anyway.
    Development is not one of the writers' high point.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    Development is not one of the writers' high point.
    When they try, to me it seems they can do great development with characters. This can be applied to Misty too, since she got some great development during her run and later in hosos, but not enough unfortunately never being used to full potential. Partially reason was because she was in anime at time when formula was mostly focused on Ash with role of supporting characters being mainly to help him grow as trainer.

    I reckon this is probably one of reasons why fanbase was disappointed when she left, while May or Dawn departure was accepted better. Considering they got bigger expansion on their goals being developed more in that department, achieving some sense of conclusion at end of the day.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    When they try, to me it seems they can do great development with characters. This can be applied to Misty too, since she got some great development during her run and later in hosos, but not enough unfortunately never being used to full potential. Partially reason was because she was in anime at time when formula was mostly focused on Ash with role of supporting characters being mainly to help him grow as trainer.

    I reckon this is probably one of reasons why fanbase was disappointed when she left, while May or Dawn departure was accepted better. Considering they got bigger expansion on their goals being developed more in that department, achieving some sense of conclusion at end of the day.
    Some characters get great development and then unfortunately they leave the show.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Northwestern Europe
    Posts
    399

    Default

    This was a good episode. I didn't regret Misty leaving and I think that this was the perfect time for a "refreshment" after 275 episodes in the original series. They gave Misty even a Chronicle episode to at least give her some more deserving spotlight and she came back two times during the Advanced Series. It was also great to see Gary too and I'm definitely going to miss my favorite character, knowing his seldom appearance rate from now.

    I also think people (and in particular, Pro-Misty and Anti-Misty) need to understand this.

    All these romantic hints/innuendo's both Misty and Ash gave were nice to see. Sure, I like to see all these hints and its unfortunate that the bond they had was turned down to a more "Lets be best friends" thing, but that's it and you gotta deal with reality that has been presented on you.

    Everyone is rightfully entitled to their opinions, but if you claim something, please have a bit of integrity and open-mindedness for the sake of respectfulness. It's absolutely pointless to even begin arguing who is better - seeing as everybody has his or her own preferences and are, in some cases, misrepresenting it as facts. I mean, how can you claim a fictional character is better if can't be unbiased in the first place? If we go by being unbiased, May, Dawn, Iris and Misty all have their strong and weak points with their characterful personalities.

    I hope people can light up and enjoy this masterpiece of a episode that was in many ways, shape or form, a true emotional and beautiful ending to the original series.
    Last edited by 7threst; 22nd September 2012 at 3:37 PM.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7threst View Post
    Everyone is rightfully entitled to their opinions, but if you claim something, please have a bit of integrity and open-mindedness for the sake of respectfulness. It's absolutely pointless to even begin arguing who is better - seeing as everybody has his or her own preferences and are, in some cases, misrepresenting it as facts.
    Well said, i seen too much disrespect and double standards in past and whether people liked or didn't liked that Misty left opinions which differ from yours should still be took in consideration respecting other point of view.

    As for episode itself it was really emotional and beautifully done departure adding for long lasting impact, although personally i didn't liked that Misty left with series being refreshed at her expense.
    Considering i really enjoyed in her colorful personality, and feel she had untapped potential to offer more, leaving when writers started to do more about her story and water master career.

    And even though imo it would be even better if she stayed and May joined, i still welcomed new character giving him chance with May probably being my second favorite female protagonist.

    p.s.Hopefully we will see Misty return at some point in future if anything to wrap things up and receive some recognition.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    the Reverse World
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    Guys, this thread is not about Johto - it's about this particular episode titled "Gotta Catch Ya Later". Please stay on topic! All offtopic posts have been deleted.

    Seriously guys, we have a thread all about talking about what you thought of generations in general. Use it. It's a sticky!
    Last edited by Encyclopika; 20th December 2012 at 6:43 AM.
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

    Status: Chaptered | R | Contestshipping | Finished

    Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

    Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alto Mare, Johto
    Posts
    193

    Default

    ^Thank you. Back to the episode, I gotta say I can totally understand why it means so much to many people. The transition into generation III certainly had a lot of impact on the franchise, some good and some bad. I've always held true to my belief that the writers are capable of just about anything, so I'd love to see them do even better departures in the future and even write completely new stories from their existing pool of memorable characters!
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    Development is not one of the writers' high point.
    This.

    Brock and Misty both leaving felt really fresh because it was the first time Ash had been without either one. Making the start of Hoenn nice for me. It felt like he was more mature. I

    My ideal battle ever!

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Void
    Posts
    828

    Default

    i cri evry tiem ;_;

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    79

    Default

    I really didn't liked the fact that the trio of my childhood was separated. They should have made Ash win the league and then have continuted for a bit longer to fight against elite 4 and stuff and then end it.

    **** the writers =/

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    242

    Default

    So this is my first time watching the episode, and all I have to say is that this was sad. I already knew about what happened from research, but it didn't make it any less sad. Its amazing how the little things can tug at the strings. All loose ends tied up, all past stuff gone (including his old outfit plus the sacred hat), etc.
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    So this is my first time watching the episode, and all I have to say is that this was sad. I already knew about what happened from research, but it didn't make it any less sad. Its amazing how the little things can tug at the strings. All loose ends tied up, all past stuff gone (including his old outfit plus the sacred hat), etc.
    This episode is so sad...I loved it. Definitely, this episode tugs at your heartstrings a lot. I actually still cry a bit watching this one.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    This episode is so sad...I loved it. Definitely, this episode tugs at your heartstrings a lot. I actually still cry a bit watching this one.
    I also loved it, but at the same time, I hated it.
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    This was one of the saddest episodes considering misty is my favourite character. I felt annoyed though I already knew this was going to happen from reading about it.

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cerulean City
    Posts
    7,607

    Default

    I knew this was going to come. I didn't like that Misty had to go. It was a very sad episode for me. She didn't like how Ash didn't feel sad that they were separating. It was showing how much she cared. I wonder if this was the same in the original episode? But, it's good every thing is okay now. Looking on the bright side, she'll be able to become a stronger Trainer while at the Gym. She won't be able to become a Water Pokemon Master that way. But, at least she'll grow more as a Trainer.

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Forest
    Posts
    1,162

    Default

    Not much to say to be honest, the beginning of the downfall starts here. It'll never be the same without Misty and I hope that someday she can pursue her dream of becoming a Water Pokemon Master by herself and meet new people. Nice to know that Ash told her that they were mean't to become friends, shows he cares. Ash & Brock will always be Misty's true best friends. They've been through so much together and that is something I will never forget. I'm gonna miss this trio though, they're legendary.

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    In field with idiots
    Posts
    63

    Default

    It's rare for me to ever apply my two cents into much, but I just recently re-watched this episode and I felt like I needed to say something.

    Everything about this episode screamed, finality. The end of the Trio, the end of Ash and Gary's rivalry, The end of the original series as they were setting up for AG. For many people that I talk to this is where they stopped watching or stopped really caring about the anime. They believed that the trio was all mighty, and that Pokemon was never the same after this. Then I do know people who hate Misty and were happy to see her leave. This Thread shows the same arguments for her in both cases. As for myself, the last I watched this before this past week I believe was when it first aired when I was a kid. I remember back then, I hated this episode. It made me cry, I loved Misty and I thought, I had dealt with all the heartbreak of this show after Bulbasaur went to stay in Professor Oak's Lab. As an Adult now re-watching this episode, This episode still has the same power it did back then. I do agree that Pokemon was never the same again. With in 24 minutes, The world that we thought we knew about the Pokemon anime all changed within an instant. And I remember watching AG, not all to thrilled with May in the beginning, but she did grow on me as the series went on.

    This episode took me personally a long time to accept. For me as a Pokemon Fan, this was the hardest to accept. It didn't help either that Gen 3 was cut off from Gen 1 and 2 in the beginning either, which made it really hard for me to accept Gen 3(To this date I still not too keen on Ruby and Sapphire, but I do like them). However, when I was able to accept this episode and Misty's fate in the anime, Pokemon became a whole lot easier to like. I can't speak for everybody, because everybody as there own opinion. Yet, Misty leaving was a good and a bad thing. The bad was mostly because the connection that a lot of people felt to her and all the Pokeshipping that the dub put in. The good was because it did allow the show to reset. Change is a good thing sometimes and Pokemon like the Pokemon themselves needed to evolve into the next stage. If Misty was still going as a Main Character today, I don't think I would love her as much as I do. Although in truth, If Ash's adventure ended at this episode, I think then I would be more happier with the outcome of this episode than I was with the show. However, thats just me doing a lil dreaming. All in all heres my rating:

    Plot: The plot of this episode was a bit divided 1/2 Misty and the other the advancement to AG, but still I enjoyed it. 9.5/10
    Writing: The dialogue of this episode is great. Every character felt real and the voice actors did a great job portraying the how each character felt when they were together, about to split up and finally on their own paths. 10/10
    Characters: This episode really showed sides of the characters we don't get to see very often especially now in the current season 10/10
    Feeling: The amount of emotion from all 3 of them as they split up is very strong and it still holds up today 10/10
    Team Rocket: The TRio I think helped advance the characterization of the other characters, but they themselves didn't really do anything other than plot convenience things. 5/10
    Dub or Sub: The Dub focused majorly on PokeShipping during the montage while the original focused on Misty's achievements and relationships with everyone. I myself am a Pokeshipper, however I did like the montage in the japanese better. I did like the dub song though. Hmm...this time I think both the Dub and the Sub are great for this one episode.
    Final Rating 9/10


    Credit to Darkrukario and Chibi Pika for banners

    Poke-Artists Club

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mind your business
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    This episode was the saddest one to me. It was the last time that the trio that I grew up with were together and it was sad to see them end this group.

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    This episode was overall...bittersweet for me. It was probably one of the only decent goodbyes in the entire anime: period, but I've always hated that they dropped Misty from the anime for no apparent reason other than for more "eyecandy" as the producers put it. Sure, change is good, but it can be accomplished without replacing characters. Merely giving them new things to do that we haven't seen already, or exploring different facets of their personalities would keep things more fresh over time.

    What a shame this is when the series started the unfortunate trend of replacing certain characters as opposed to letting all the older characters have a final journey together and part ways, thus a new hero and his friends starting the newer Pokemon series instead.

    Gotta give 4Kids credit where it's due. This is THE only English dub goodbye that I've actually cried when watching, and no, it's not just because it's the parting of the OS group (my favorite). It's because it's the only one where I got any remote feeling that the dub tried to emphasize the importance of an older character leaving the show, or that the dubbers were actually trying to do them justice. 4Kids' only other goodbye with the Hoenn group, and TPCi's handling of the DP group's departure were both just decent, and the other goodbye in Battle Frontier that TPCi handled was downright atrocious, IMHO.

    Overall, a good episode, but a very sad one and bittersweet.

    Rating: 88/100 (B+)
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 29th April 2014 at 11:07 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The Enchanted Forest
    Posts
    2,902

    Default

    As much as I liked this episode, it was really sad for me. In the US, it aired only a few months after I became a Pokeshipper. I knew the episode would come, and I prepared myself for it. 11 years later, I'm still surprised this wasn't the de jure series finale for the whole anime. Overall, the episode handled the departure of Misty well, but the show was never the same after that.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    RIP Foghorn Leghorn and Casey Kasem

  23. #173
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Jinhua, Zhejiang.
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    This episode marks the group starts to separate which is a sad thing in my opinion. But nice to see that Satoshi and Takeshi went back to Kasumi when she was facing the three brothers. The funniest thing in this episode is Sonans being the one to press the buttons to lock everyone in the goal.

  24. #174

    Default

    Pokemon started when I was 5 years old. I watched it then during the first season, but never followed the show closely and stopped after a while. Growing older I learned Misty and Brock had left the show and the idea was silly to me, but still I didn't care much.

    Then, in April 2014 I started to watch the show from the beginning. I instantly was hooked and couldn't stop. This past Wednesday I reached this episode. "Gotta catch you later." It made me tear up, made me happy, made me sad, made me love pokemon, made me hate pokemon. 4 days later, I can't get the episode off my mind. After sending 2 months with the trio letting them go is not easy. I've tried to continue watching, but May and Max have not helped. I've tried watching chronicles, but every episode I finish just means fewer episodes with Misty to watch.

    I'm depressed after this episode. It's hard to continue watching and I want so badly for this trio to reunite already. May and Max are funny, but there is such a hole left in the show now. I'm not sure I can continue and might just decide that the series ends here and that there is nothing else to watch.

    This episode hit hard. This episode hit deep.

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Where all are equal
    Posts
    1,542

    Default

    So, I finally Got around to watching AG, so I decided to rewatch This prologue.

    Despite Me not having watched OS in years, Seeing Misty and Brock leave was still hard, and seeing Ash restart his journey is still a huge "f@ck yeah" moment.

    9/10 A great start to my favorite Saga.

    Credit goes to Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric designs.


Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •