Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Gotta Catch Ya Later! (275)

Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    seeing Ash restart his journey is still a huge "f@ck yeah" moment.
    Interesting view. I thought he started off pretty slow. He spent a few episodes with just Pikachu and Pikachu got very sick, so I always felt that it wasn't a "f@ck yeah" start, but more of a "maybe this wasn't a good idea" start, haha.
    Someone once told me that Misty's cameos in Advanced Generation help make it easier knowing that she is no longer a series regular. They couldn't have been more wrong. After she leaves behind Togepi she returns to her gym more alone than ever AND ON TOP OF THAT, her last cameo was in 2005. 2005!?!?!? ITS BEEN TEN YEARS SINCE ONE OF THE CAST WHO STARTED THE SHOW WAS ACTUALLY ON THE SHOW!?!?

Why do we even watch Pokemon anymore

I tend to forget that Gary was in this episode too for some reason, as this is his last episode for a long time. Gary never does make anything but brief cameos after this, so he should have gotten a better sendoff.

I'm surprised at how quickly the trio split up. Misty/Brock were gone by the first commercial break. I also don't understand why the writers made a big deal out of Brock leaving when they knew they were bringing him back only 4 episodes later. This episode made it seem like Brock was leaving for good too.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I'm surprised at how quickly the trio split up. Misty/Brock were gone by the first commercial break. I also don't understand why the writers made a big deal out of Brock leaving when they knew they were bringing him back only 4 episodes later. This episode made it seem like Brock was leaving for good too.
    The kids didn't know, the viewers didn't know, Ash as a character didn't know.

It would be anything but realistic if they treated the departure lightly as if it didn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    The kids didn't know, the viewers didn't know, Ash as a character didn't know.

It would be anything but realistic if they treated the departure lightly as if it didn't matter.
    AG promotion started months before Johto ended, with the first AG cast poster showing May and Max on the group and no Misty. Everyone knew Misty was leaving months before it happened.

This episode was Ok, though I disliked the parts with the Invincible Pokemon brothers and Team Rocket as they were quite irritating, loved how Ash, Misty, and Brock dealt with them though. When I first seen this episode, it was depressing, though now it doesn't even bother me that Misty and Brock left, especially when Brock came back a few episodes later lol. It still is a little emotional for me though, but I thought that Memories are Made of bliss had more emotional moments in it imo.
    I'd give it an 8/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

"Gotta Catch Ya Later" episode was example of how you make departure between close friends right in homogenous, natural and touching manner.

And i have to say writers really outdo themselves with amount of dialogue, love and care invested into this episode delivering message of things not always going way you planned them to be and how obstacles can appear on your life path forcing you to leave those you love and cheriush behind going in different direction.

With three companions which at that point weren't just friends, but real family which grew attached to each other, went through many adventures, dangerous situations, shared between themselves their deepest secrets, fears and dreams, who were backbone to each other, got familiarized with each other flaws and qualities having their moments of arguing, teasing, laiughing and supporting themselves facing biggest problem of them all.

Having to suddenly go in different ways leaving people they grew to love so much behind. Misty was especially upset and hurt by Ash thoughtless behavior in cheering fgor her bike getting fixed. Sobbing and not wanting to leave friends behind being torn between obligation given to her and desire to contnue traveling and work on her dreams.

Ash got shaked to the core as character breaking down when Brock and Misty left him leaving personal items to symbolize powerful bond existing between them loosing it and bursting in tears crying like river.

Even Brock couldn't supress tears starting to cry feeling sad that time to say goodbye came.

If this episode didn't showed how close and attached to each other original trio as cast was, than nothing will.

Beautiful episode making you feel sorry for characters and teary eyed.
    Yet at same time depressing and disappointing.

Due to Misty leaving main series being deprived of all new, cool adventures we could see her took in.

I mean sagas after that were still good and everything, but they lacked that charisma and spirit Misty presence brought through lot of fiery passion, humor and emotion. Leaving lot of untapped potential for character to be done more with her dreams, insecurities and interests of becoming top water expert in world, explain on her desire to meet legendary type discoveriong it secrets and possibly expand on childhood more and her parents(like why they abandoned her and sisters according to Shudo). Pity.

Maybe Ash, Misty and Brock as group which started everything get reunited on one more adventure together toward end of series. It would make many fans happy paving nice tribute to original cast.

Spoiler:- why not:
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 29th August 2014 at 9:21 AM.

AG promotion started months before Johto ended, with the first AG cast poster showing May and Max on the group and no Misty. Everyone knew Misty was leaving months before it happened.
    It would be poor writing if they treated Misty's departure lightly anyway.

Misty is leaving, nobody knows when they are going to see her again. Also, not everyone kept up with the Internet stuff, particularly not Japanese kids. Not everyone is like you, Cyber, not everyone looks up every single piece of spoiler. The departure had to be written as emotional because it WAS supposed to be emotional. It was three friends saying goodbye to each other, not knowing when they'll see each other. Stop looking at things in terms of spoilers, but in terms of writing itself. Ash simply saying 'bye' to Misty would be absolutely terrible, poor writing and a very, very bad departure.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    It would be poor writing if they treated Misty's departure lightly anyway.

Misty is leaving, nobody knows when they are going to see her again. Also, not everyone kept up with the Internet stuff, particularly not Japanese kids. Not everyone is like you, Cyber, not everyone looks up every single piece of spoiler. The departure had to be written as emotional because it WAS supposed to be emotional. It was three friends saying goodbye to each other, not knowing when they'll see each other. Stop looking at things in terms of spoilers, but in terms of writing itself. Ash simply saying 'bye' to Misty would be absolutely terrible, poor writing and a very, very bad departure.
    You do realize back then the dub was a good 50 episodes behind the Japanese version right? When this episode aired in Japan, the dub was only at the 7th Johto Gym or so.

I remember being online at the time and everyone was like, "Why do we still have 50 episodes of Johto to go while Japan is in AG already?" Everyone in the U.S. knew Misty was gone months before.

This was a good goodbye episode, no doubt. I don't think they should have made Misty so sad though, given she enjoys being at the Gym afterward.

You do realize back then the dub was a good 50 episodes behind the Japanese version right? When this episode aired in Japan, the dub was only at the 7th Johto Gym or so.

I remember being online at the time and everyone was like, "Why do we still have 50 episodes of Johto to go while Japan is in AG already?" Everyone in the U.S. knew Misty was gone months before.

This was a good goodbye episode, no doubt. I don't think they should have made Misty so sad though, given she enjoys being at the Gym afterward.
    No not quite. When Misty left main cast it was 2002. Internet wasn't nearly widespreaded as its now, there were no social networks, many pokemon forums or sites. And those which did existed had very small online fandom.

Most people at that time find out about Misty leaving through TV not knowing she would leave until departure episode came. Explaining why so many pokemon fans at that time were shocked and disappointed.

Which could be one of reasons behind massive backlash Misty deparrture left with many fans uniting in attempt to bring her back back than.

Also making Misty any less sad would take away from value and touching atnmosphere this episode radiated with. As well not faithfully portraying how much Misty characgter grew emotionally developing lot of care and appreciation for her friends which she referred as family she never really had through course of OS.

p.s. As for last remark you obviously watched dub version. Because while Misty was showed enjoying in getting gym back on right track and spoending time with her water pokemon. She was also portrayed unhappy, even despondent about it in some episodes like "Date with Delcatty" complaining how useless sisters are and how she has to stay there and help them out. In Hoenn Misty even said how she had lot of fun being with Ash and Brock again and would like to stick around, but plans to go back and help sisters out. In last cameo she is visibly frustrated and displeased sharing with Max her issues and wishing her sisters would understand her and have someone to count on.

Revealing how she is disappointed over not having anyone from family to rely on in case she wants to leave gym for longer period and travel to either catch new pokemon, enter tournaments, explore new things and advance her own water dreams showing to be aiming for higher positions.
    We all know why writers portrayed her that way leaving story undefined and open for changes. In case May and contests failed they had to make sure to have backup plan in returning Misty back.

Speaking of which many fans do think becoming E4 would be logical progression for Misty character making huge step forward in becoming renowned, top water expert.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 29th August 2014 at 2:25 PM.

They should have foreshadowed Misty leaving during the "Just Add Water" episode since I remember Misty's sisters getting a reference in that episode.

This is one of the few episodes I prefer the dub over Japanese. The Japanese music when Misty's leaving makes it sound like she's dying or something or that she'll never be seen again. The dub music gives it a hopeful and uplifting dream for the future, that Misty was returning to the Gym and we'd see her again, (which we did).

Kind of funny, in Japan the first Misty special aired only 6 episodes after this one. I think it aired between the 5th and 6th Hoenn episode. That means Japan saw Misty again only like 6 episodes later.

They should have foreshadowed Misty leaving during the "Just Add Water" episode since I remember Misty's sisters getting a reference in that episode.

This is one of the few episodes I prefer the dub over Japanese. The Japanese music when Misty's leaving makes it sound like she's dying or something or that she'll never be seen again. The dub music gives it a hopeful and uplifting dream for the future, that Misty was returning to the Gym and we'd see her again, (which we did).

Kind of funny, in Japan the first Misty special aired only 6 episodes after this one. I think it aired between the 5th and 6th Hoenn episode. That means Japan saw Misty again only like 6 episodes later.
    Yeah the music in this episode was probably one of the best selections they made.

That seems too early to have a Misty special right after she left imo. I liked how the dub did it, there was like a year break then she got her Hoenn cameo and then her BF cameo several months later along with the Mirage and Chronicles specials that she was in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn+Serena Fan View Post
    Yeah the music in this episode was probably one of the best selections they made.

That seems too early to have a Misty special right after she left imo. I liked how the dub did it, there was like a year break then she got her Hoenn cameo and then her BF cameo several months later along with the Mirage and Chronicles specials that she was in.
    Considering her first special begins with her arriving home after saying bye to Ash, 6 episodes later makes sense. There might not be a triumphant return after a long wait, but where she starts off in that first special and the return of the battle brothers as well, it would make more sense to have the special be much more near her departure.
    Someone once told me that Misty's cameos in Advanced Generation help make it easier knowing that she is no longer a series regular. They couldn't have been more wrong. After she leaves behind Togepi she returns to her gym more alone than ever AND ON TOP OF THAT, her last cameo was in 2005. 2005!?!?!? ITS BEEN TEN YEARS SINCE ONE OF THE CAST WHO STARTED THE SHOW WAS ACTUALLY ON THE SHOW!?!?

Why do we even watch Pokemon anymore

"Just Add Water" could have been used as foreshadowing and in that case maybe Misty leaving wouldn't come of as out of blue and with no build up. It also didn't helped that Misty story, water dreams and personal issues weren't resolved or given any closure/ implications of leading toward that, so unless you were one of fans which were using internet at that time looking for spoilers. Regular viewer could have no way of knowing Misty would be leaving so soon afterwards. And i can assure you many didn't knew that in advance from people i talked to.

Although in sense that could be said to be blessing in disguise since shock and unexpectedness contributed in memorability, strong influence and sentimental value this episode brought. Extorting emotions, sadness and sympathy for split of original trio and Misty departure feeling sorry for her(many couldn't supress tears when watching it for very first time).

If episode manage to do that and make people care for characters you know there was present some cunning and quality writing there. Props to Yuji Asada, Hideki Sonoda and Masaaki Iwane for beautiful dialogue, story and animation there.

Speaking of sub and dub version. Personally it may just be me but Misty goodbye in dub version seemed even more saddening. Because of song she started singing at very end adding to touching, heartfelt atmosphere present there.

If there was any justice though Misty wouldn't leave main cast.

I know you will never approve Misty kept in pokemon series or coming back(since you lost interest and faith that that writers would put her in meaningful role again, although they kinda did that again imo in chronicles and 5th season being enjoyable). But as long time series viewer i can say it was very poor and inconsiderate move to remove their deepest, most compelling and fleshed out in personality character. Character which brought strong identity, charisma and lot of passion in man group making things more enjoyable and character which had lot of room left to expolore her so much more. Not just water master goal with Whirl Cup being good start, fascination over E4 members possibly becoming one in future. But her personal fears, prejudices formed about pokemon(something where Surskit and Masquerain could played vital role), inability to bring full stregth of her pokemon on surface like Psyduck etc.

Hopefully future will be brighter seeing her again.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 29th August 2014 at 5:45 PM.

I really don't like this episode.Really, I felt as the episode to be way too sappy for his own go. There was no foreshadow of the Misty's leaving and Brock as well. Even until the point where some things didn't make sense. Like how is third-place good enough to get a round world trip went third-place is not that great in the first place. Would it been a better reason for them to leave the gym for several weeks, like a sick relative or something that was so important that they had to leave the gym in a hurry. There has to be something better than a worldwide trip for them to just leave. Shouldn't there parents or any other family members from Misty's side to take care to gym while her sisters are gone on vacation. These are questions that should be answered should be answered!

Another thing I do not like from this episode was the sappiness of it. The other endings that had the sappiness naming out a little bit more okay with it because there was no crying.

Quote Originally Posted by p96822 View Post

Another thing I do not like from this episode was the sappiness of it. The other endings that had the sappiness naming out a little bit more okay with it because there was no crying.
    I liked them crying because it actually showed realistic emotion as opposed to the, "YEAH! HAPPY! BYE!" crap we've been getting past all other goodbyes in this Series, but that's just me.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonNation2000 View Post
    I liked them crying because it actually showed realistic emotion as opposed to the, "YEAH! HAPPY! BYE!" crap we've been getting past all other goodbyes in this Series, but that's just me.
    Even so, I do think they overdid it looking back on it now. Brock literally comes back only 4 episodes later, making his half of the farewell seem sad for no reason. And even though Misty leaving was indeed permanent, she does return only 43 episodes later, plus Japan got to see her in the special only 5 episodes after this one.

I imagine they only hyped it up due to the writers wanting to cover Misty's crush on Ash one last time before she left. Makes me wonder if Serena will burst into tears in the last XY episode for the same reason, lol.

Even so, I do think they overdid it looking back on it now. Brock literally comes back only 4 episodes later, making his half of the farewell seem sad for no reason. And even though Misty leaving was indeed permanent, she does return only 43 episodes later, plus Japan got to see her in the special only 5 episodes after this one.

I imagine they only hyped it up due to the writers wanting to cover Misty's crush on Ash one last time before she left. Makes me wonder if Serena will burst into tears in the last XY episode for the same reason, lol.
    Better overdoing it than just being emotionless about it, but I can understand what you're saying: Brock's wasn't very touching considering he just pops back up later anyway 4 episodes later.

LOL...great, now I'm laughing.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

When you think about it for moments, showing any less concern, disturbance and feelings there wouldn't make departure between three best friends at that point nearly as memorable and touching like it was the case.

Misty had no idea if and when she is going to see her friends again. Brock regardless of his plans to find Ash in Hoenn knew that if Misty were ever to rejoin it wouldn't be for very long time and crying only made this characters feel more human like, realistic and endearing to follow.

Especially when unlike first split up from Brock prior to Orange Islands Ash their friendship was still very young not spending so much time to develop level of care, appreciation and love for each other like Ash, Misty, Brock did in Johto by that point.

About Misty crush on Ash, arguably many would say how her reject of going on date with Georgio from chronicles blushing like red pepper and saying how there is someone else, getting all angry and exasperrated when Psyduck readed through her was sign of writers not wanting audience to forgot how her feelings for Ash are still there. Dub chanbged that along with end of episode when complaining over sisters disinterest in gym.

Which is believable, because by that point it passed too little that Misty feelings would fade away just like that based on how strong they were at very end of Johto. Some say theye still there based on last visit.

Further reinforcing my belief how writers on purpose left some aspects of Misty story undefined and her future uncleared even in Real Cleffa Hanger about whether she will stay at gym or not with all that frustration over not having someone to help her out when traveling. Never giving up on her water master dream and aspirations, something Brock and Gary were very clear about. For simple reason of not being decided if Misty will ever return as main companion again or not.

This was such a sad episode having to say good bye to everyone, I wonder what is in store for Ash and co in the future. Saying good bye to all his pokemon is a shame too but like he said, it will be like the beginning of his journey again!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678