Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hoenn Alone! (276)

Quote Originally Posted by AquaMilotic View Post
    Are those wrong claims really nessecary? Many people want Brock back, that means his departure wasn't well received.
    Pretty much true, from what i noticed going by online fanbase on various sites it seems how biggest demand is for Brock and Misty return which just shows how popular and well liked they are. Of course other characters are popular too,but it seems original trio left bigger impact on fans in general.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    A small group of people VS. millions who watch the anime. Seeing random comments on forums doesn't represent the millions who watch the show.
    True, so why are you using forums as indication of what was general consensus in fandom when Hoenn aired?

Anyway for episode itself, i thought concept of Ash being showed traveling alone is something refreshing and good for a change. However problem is that most episodes in which Ash was alone were rather dull,not being known for some notable character interaction or comedy. After all for conversation at least two people are needed, being probably reason why we never saw Ash traveling alone for more than one episode at max.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Pretty much true, from what i noticed going by online fanbase on various sites it seems how biggest demand is for Brock and Misty return which just shows how popular and well liked they are. Of course other characters are popular too,but it seems original trio left bigger impact on fans in general
    No, it really isn't. Its the #1 reason why Misty stayed gone and didn't get a return after 10 entire years and 3 generations.

Surely the character would have returned right after Hoenn ended if the writers deemed her important or popular enough. Instead she not only stays gone, but eventually even her guest episode appearances stop altogether after mid-AG. The fact that she hasn't even been given an episode in 6 years accounts to that.

Oddly enough even Tracey has a more recent appearance than Misty does, given he appeared in AG191 and Misty didn't.

No, it really isn't. Its the #1 reason why Misty stayed gone and didn't get a return after 10 entire years and 3 generations.

Surely the character would have returned right after Hoenn ended if the writers deemed her important or popular enough. Instead she not only stays gone, but eventually even her guest episode appearances stop altogether after mid-AG. The fact that she hasn't even been given an episode in 6 years accounts to that.

Oddly enough even Tracey has a more recent appearance than Misty does, given he appeared in AG191 and Misty didn't.
    Reason why Misty hasnt appeared for so long has nothing to do with popularity of character or impact she left. Otherwise you could make same point about May and other previous characters which are ignored for longer periods of time.

Thing is writers are basically writing themselves in corner having so many previous characters on their hands,that it would be rather out of place and hardly doable to have them all appear in on region. Ash so far had, what? 8 traveling companions and still counting,with constant character cycling causing several older well liked characters to be ignored regardless of potential and open things which are waiting in their stories to be tied up.

As we all know writers could care less what fanbase wants ,and it only depends on them if Misty is going to return at some point or not. Same goes for any ex traveling companion.
    Doesnt change fact that Misty is one of most popular characters pokemon series had with thousands of people demanding her return. Methinks there must be a reason why her departure caused bigger lift of dust than it was case with any character which left cast after her? Her cameos in Hoenn were among highest rated episodes which says a lot. You could ask Dogasu about accurate percentage,im sure he will be able to find it out.
    Not to mention some books portrayed her as important and integral character of original series along with Brock and Ash which left big impact on fandom. Such as "Japanification of Children popular culture".

Wow, what an awkward way to transition to Hoenn. For a guy who misses his Johto team so much (in this episode he mourns the loss of Noctowl and Bayleef, and misses Bayleef again next episode), Ash didn't even say goodbye to any of his Johto team. This episode would've been much better suited to at least the first half being his final adventure with his Johto Pokemon. I know the writers were kicking themselves for creating such a shoddy team, but they were still Ash's Pokemon for an entire saga.

Instead we get a filler about some random island with random KANTO (Not Johto, or Hoenn Pokemon) creatures with their petty problems which clearly aren't that bad because they're resolved in three seconds.

The writers get much better about pacing...kinda...after Johto.
    I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.

^This is my new fanfic. It's a work in progress, so please read and comment at your discretion. I hope you like it. I think you will.

Many, many thanks to Mew, who created this exceptional banner!

Harry Potter and How I Met Your Mother are currently my life.

I wish people wouldn't say who's the best girl and who's not. It makes me think that all of the others hard work was for nothing. I wish there was more understanding behind this episode. She wasn't replaced she was just moved. We still saw her again after that. However, since the games were changing with Contests they had to make a few changes too, doesn't mean it was bad. However, I have to admit this episode was emotional but it didn't make me stop watching. I still wanted to find out what happen and what new Pokemon was coming. Since they were sending us spoilers like crazy back then.

Coolest Eevee evolution ever!

This is why Brock's departure was so well received
    lol what? There are lots of people who miss Brock.

and why Misty was never brought back as a main character after 10 years.
    Not trying to argue with you, going by that logic, May, Tracey or Max never returned as main characters, and May still keeps her popularity, and people like Tracey for what he was. Max is a totally different case though...

Well, the last episode of the original series and I really think the filler was quite well-done, but this was - if you think about it in story-wise - just a intermission-episode for the Hoenn region. Oh well, I liked it surprisingly.

Wow. You wouldn't have thought to see some Haunter early in the day like that. It was an okay episode. But, this should have been the first episode of the Hoenn saga.

This was a weird end to Master Quest, Gotta Catch Ya Later should have been the real one.
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

This episode was a terrible filler. Probably should have made an extra ep at Pallet over this. But having a saga known for its bad fillers ending on a bad one doesn't surprise me.

Nice to see Ash on his own though.

Not too bad of an episode by itself...but not good when you consider what they COULD have done instead. Why not a reunion and goodbye episode or something?

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    Not too bad of an episode by itself...but not good when you consider what they COULD have done instead. Why not a reunion and goodbye episode or something?
    I agree actually. I thought the episode was a little bit boring since the only friend he really had in it was Pikachu, who can't actually speak English, or any type of "human-talk" as Meowth puts it. It had an overall good intro to the Hoenn region...

What I really never understood though was the point of getting rid of Brock for like 8 episodes... He came back almost right away, and I really didn't see any point in taking him out in the first place... Was it so that Ash and Pikachu had a few episodes to themselves or something?

Hoenn Alone

Yawn…yet another generic filler episode. If you don't already know, I am a huge fan of Johto fillers, so I think its saying a lot that this is the only Johto filler that I’ve ever really disliked. This could have been summed up in a few minutes, but no, they decide to stretch it out for 22 minutes. So what do you get when you combine a simple plot of Ash taking a boat to Hoenn, and a drawn out Pikachu short? This episode. It starts off with Ash and Pikachu on a boat to Hoenn, as I've stated earlier. You’d think this would take just a few minutes or so, before they then spend the rest of the episode establishing Hoenn and its Pokemon, right? Instead, they slap Team Rocket into the plot, resulting in Pikachu getting caught in a generic filler plotline featuring Kanto Pokemon we’ve already seen, and Ash looking for him. Once Pikachu and Ash are reunited, the ending sees Pikachu get sick…they kept us waiting for THIS? May I ask what was the point of having Pikachu get sick? Regardless, he would have headed to Hoenn. It seems that it was only placed there to try and make the episode better, but it didn't work. It might have worked if they tried to actually do something with it, but did they? No.

Tanks a Lot, Team Rocket, for causing this sorry excuse of an episode.
    Last edited by Brownie; 15th April 2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

Terrible filler episode to start the Hoenn region. I don't comprehend why the writers had to bunch this episode with the OS. Because I sure don't consider it an OS episode. This is the first time when Misty is not in an episode. It felt very strange and depressing. So, I don't count this in the OS. It would have been better if we had a few or so episodes of Ash & Pikachu training at Pallet Town or something.
    Last edited by Sushi; 26th March 2013 at 6:54 PM.

This episode is the final episode of the original series and it's a boring filler ..... well, not exactly a filler. Pikachu got separated from Ash and they reunite again, but Pikachu gets sick at the end. This episode was a good setup for the next episode. It's nice to see Ash on his own for once.
    Last edited by PokemontrainerY; 25th August 2013 at 6:00 PM.
    Pokémon XY

Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by DaDonYordel View Post
    Are we not just silly people writing silly complaints on this message board?

In general this episode should mark the end for Satoshi, Kasumi and Takeshi. They should make a new hero to start off with in my opinion.

Wow it is strange seeing ash alone. TR were troublesome but I am glad that Ratata saved it

I wikis have liked to have seen all the street Pokemon take on TR when they first grabbed Pikachu though

I hope Pikachu is ok, I am hooked on this show haha

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123