Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Get The Show On The Road! (277)

It's 2010 and I'm finally watching Pokemon Advance, the season where I left the show. I always like the first episodes because it's the start of a new adventure and this one was good. I like how May doesn't really care for pokemon and has no clue what she's doing, the Mudkip part was funny. I always liked Prof. Birch in the games so it was cool to see him in anime form. Ash was pretty crazy for jumping off that cliff to save Pikachu, but then again, he's Ash. Overall, this was a fantastic first episode and I'm looking forward to watching more.

Pretty good start to Hoenn, I am glad that May chose Torchic (Then rather Brock because it wouldn't have much to do) because it's my favorite Pokemon.

When Mudkip sprayed the water in May's face that was funny it was like "Mudkip, water gun" slowly and then Mudkips like "Okay" and shoots it in her face lol.
    Burned bike, de va ju lol, and May convincing Ash to let her go with him with a guilt bomb.
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

May is here. ♥ This is favorite series in the show but I found this episode to be alright. It wasn't amazing or anything like that but it was a good set up episode. Team Rocket wasn't that annoying in this episode thankfully and I really liked Birch in this episode too. He's my favorite professor thus far since he's so outgoing unlike the other ones (Especially Elm).

This was an ok episode... I'm glad it was TR who fixed Pikachu after they were the ones who made him sick in the 1st place. It was cool seeing the Hoenn Starter Pokemon Mudikp, Torchic, and Treecko for the 1st time. Mudkip using Water Gun on May was very funny. It was cool seeing Poochyena for the 1st time. This was a cool way to introduce May into the Anime.

50/100

I liked May's introduction at the beginning. It was a nice way to get to know her. Oh, and it was funny when the Duskull scared her.

I liked how they showed all three Hoenn starters, since this was the first time I saw all three of them.

However, I didn't like how this episode re-used plots used in previous episodes, e.g. with Pikachu destroying a bike, Pikachu being sick. They should be able to come up with ideas that are slightly more original.

An amazing start for the Hoenn region. I think May and Birch introductions were nice.

Jesse depressed was hilarious and they healed Pikachu lol.

May choose Torchic as her starter (she disliked Mudkip & Treecko lol), finally Ash & May decide to go to Oldale Town to register in the Hoenn League.

It was an amazing episode. really reminded me of the 1st of the Original Series.

10/10

A fairly nice first episode. A new trainer who doesn't even like Pokémon and a veteran starting over. Beginning of another friendship.

I was worried for Pikachu this episode. Following Johto's downer ending of it falling ill, and acting insane in this one, I was glad it ended well. Nice job fixing it, Team Rocket.

And a charred bike. Can't forget that part (not the reason May's traveling with Ash, though.)

I can't even remember why May wanted to travel with Ash, but......whatever.

I still liked the episode, but why does Pikachu have to be injured in the first episode of every new region?

This is one of my favorite episodes, it introduces one of my favorite character's(May). Plus the Pikachu going crazy was just hilarious

A boring episode, another girl who has a bike that get's fried by pikachu. -rolls eyes- Overall I like Prof Birch

Quote Originally Posted by Angel~ View Post
    A boring episode, another girl who has a bike that get's fried by pikachu. Overall I like prof Birch
    Its not as bad as Misty's introduction, or Iris for that matter, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Its not as bad as Misty's introduction, or Iris for that matter, lol.
    Wherever May is, CyberCubed will be there!

Anyway, I liked it after seeing it for the first time yesterday.

HAHAHAHA I had a feeling Cyber would come here.
    I bet you made that post because you knew I would be there to respond to it in seconds.

I bet you made that post because you knew I would be there to respond to it in seconds.
    Hey Scott, how do you do it? Do you have some sort of word detector? How do you speed around the forum so quickly?

I'm posting my thoughts. It's funny how you dont comment all the other eps I did. But suddenly when I get to AG you're here in seconds. umm I don't need that, and yeah he does Ash.
    Well when this episode first aired back in 2003, I thought it was refreshing. Ash had new clothes, May was entertaining and a nice chance of pace from Misty, and while the episode spent a little too much time on Pikachu being sick, it was understandable and helped set the pace for the Ash/Pikachu dynamic and May's view of it.

It was also quite easy to see that from this first ep, May was going to have a bigger role than Misty, simply by being a beginning trainer picking out her first pokemon. Back then I never thought we'd see a girl beginner on the main cast.

And likewise its a hell of a lot better than Misty and Iris' 2 minute scenes in their first episode...they don't even get any screentime since so much of it is on Ash.

Well when this episode first aired back in 2003, I thought it was refreshing. Ash had new clothes, May was entertaining and a nice chance of pace from Misty, and while the episode spent a little too much time on Pikachu being sick, it was understandable and helped set the pace for the Ash/Pikachu dynamic and May's view of it.

It was also quite easy to see that from this first ep, May was going to have a bigger role than Misty, simply by being a beginning trainer picking out her first pokemon. Back then I never thought we'd see a girl beginner on the main cast.

And likewise its a hell of a lot better than Misty and Iris' 2 minute scenes in their first episode...they don't even get any screentime since so much of it is on Ash.
    Well whatev's I'm actually glad Misty wasn't a rookie like the other two.
    Last edited by Blessed; 11th February 2012 at 7:11 AM.

Well whatev's I'm actually glad Misty wasn't a rookie like the other two.
    I don't see why it matters, it is far more entertaining to see a character start out at square one and then gradually develop as a better trainer.

Unless you're in a Brock/Cilan type role, Misty and Iris just start off as regular trainers so nothing really changes. Likewise Misty was shown to be a consistently lackluster battler, literally bombing all her Kanto matches and having to rely on Psyduck to save her. It wasn't until Johto where she got decently better, even if her team was still lackluster.

Its nice to go back to May and Dawn's first episodes and see how much they've changed. And it really puts into perspective how fantastic the battles they delivered later in their runs were.

I very much appreciated Jessie's contributions to the motto. "What's the point?" made me ROFL.

I also love how "Littleroot Town" is now a seaside metropolis...without a Pokemon center. Good planning, Pokegovernment.
    I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.

^This is my new fanfic. It's a work in progress, so please read and comment at your discretion. I hope you like it. I think you will.

Many, many thanks to Mew, who created this exceptional banner!

Harry Potter and How I Met Your Mother are currently my life.

I liked this episode. Seeing Ash in his new sexy outfit, watching Pikachu getting into trouble, the debute of Chicken Little and no more Misty. :Sigh: It was just great back then.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 10th March 2012 at 1:04 AM.

My ideal battle ever!

Overall good way to introduce Hoenn series. Introduction of May was decent i guess choosing her starter pokemon, and her clueless behavior being very green at start not even liking pokemon was interesting set up for great development she went through later in series. Fried bike was pretty formulatic and predictable, but it served as nice reference to way series started in first place.
    So yeah i can say i enjoyed in May as character, even though i missed Misty in cast.

Pikachu getting sick and later cured unintentionally by TR was pretty unnecessary but admittedly seeing him in delirium state biting Ash who showed great deal of care and concern for his partner added that suspense factor making new start abit more dramatic.

p.s. As for debate which is more interesting, i say not starting out as rookie opens ground for deeper and more concrete development since character already has some background behind him, which allows to go on bigger, more complex things being refreshing sometimes when basics are already covered.

But starting out as rookie has its advantages too providing feeling of clean slate being sometimes endearing when you see trainer starting helpless having to go with baby steps, gradually advancing forward. Even though this concept is overused in this series.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 4th September 2012 at 10:42 AM.

I think this episode beautifully introduced both May, elaborated introduction of Professor Birch (He was introduced by Harrison) and the Hoenn Starter Pokémon. I actually felt quite refreshed and even a little ecstatic with the new things they put in this first episode of the Advanced Series and I think this episode fulfilled its role of introducing stuff really well.

Well, this was May's first episode. She was showed as a newbie, which is good for someone who just starts her journey. Her clumsyness with Mudkip was funny. This episode was a logical start for a new saga. And, of course, I missed Misty when watching this... And I didn't like the bike running gag being used again, it should've been a Misty-only thing. Overall, a fine episode, but not that great, 7/10.

Loved this beginning to a new story in Pokemon, I missed quite a few episodes in the beginning and middle part of the Hoenn saga of AG and a few near the end, the ones I have seen I haven't seen in years so I don't remember them too well. A rewatch couldn't hurt and so it all begins with the first episodes of the AG series.

Get the Show on the Road

I loved May right from the start, the fact she didn't care too much about Pokemon and only wanted to be a trainer to travel truly shows how she was at the beginning. I liked her nonchalant personality, though she was a bit boring at times because we only really saw her casual personality I can't wait until later on. I liked the way she wasn't too mad about her bike being BBQ'd and understood how much danger Pikachu was in, in-comparison to Misty who wanted to ring Ash's neck iirc. So, the bike was destroyed indirectly? I never had a clue. Either way the plot of the episode was engrossing from start to finish.

I really liked the music that played around the Pikachu-electricity-being-siphoned scene, it was a type of playful cute music you'd expect. 4kids' music as well as the Japanese music that played this episode was refreshing compared to DP's and pre-BW2's. The voice-acting was good as well. The dialogue was so utterly refreshing that I watched without fast-forwarding here and there for the first time in ages. The usual "Yay let's go", "Yay friends", "Yay battles" stuff we get to hear about every other week in DP and some parts of BW was dealt with from the beginning for the most part, leaving lots of room for a colorful palette of lines and dialogue.

I found TR somewhat entertaining in this episode too. Jessie going through her mid-life crisis and her being all "Is there any point to my life aside from chasing Pikachu?" was a nice minuscule side-plot. At the end when Pikachu sent them packing with that excess electricity-fueled Thunderbolt her being all "THIS AMAZING PIKACHU IS ALL THE BOSS WOULD WANT!" dramatically was priceless. For some reason I thought it was really really ridiculous everyone in this episode kept saying Pikachu would explode, though that showed how urgent the situation was.

May picking Torchic was adorable, nice foreshadowing there for Ash also. ;P

Ash didn't exactly seem too keen on traveling with May, but still her motives and reasons for following him were pretty funny as well as their interactions so it was a good set-up episode that did a good job of not doing too much at once. How ironic was it TR fixed their own problem with Pikachu's electricity excess? Liked that. XD

Hoenn must have a shitty Pokegoverment, Littleroot is a seaside metropolis.....without a Pokemon Center.
    Last edited by Doryuzu; 30th December 2012 at 2:50 AM.

Not the best of episode, I didn't care about May's introduction. And um why doesn't Little Root Town have a Pokemon Center? I honestly can't with this town, so you're trying to imply that the residents/Pokemon who live there never get sick? What is this. Seeing Mudkip use Water Gun on May was hilarious to see, I really enjoyed it. Professor Birch seems really cool and bold, I liked that. Another bike being destroyed was unnecessary, this should have been a Misty thing only so that really annoyed me. LOL seeing Pikachu/Torchic playing was so funny to me, mostly because this is their only moment they have together. Lastly, seeing Jessie reflect on her life with the Pikachu capture was really nice and interesting. Would have loved to see more to be honest, since she's so funny.

And um why doesn't Little Root Town have a Pokemon Center? I honestly can't with this town, so you're trying to imply that the residents/Pokemon who live there never get sick? What is this.
    I guess they just followed the Gen 3 games, where LRT doesn't have a Pokemon Center.
    Last edited by moneylesswario; 27th March 2013 at 1:57 PM.
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast