Thread: "What If" Scenario fanfics

Default "What If" Scenario fanfics

Sometimes you look back on your life and wonder what would've happened if things had gone differently at a certain significant event of your life. You wonder if would've affected your life from then on in a very minor way or in a very major way?

But this isn't about our lousy lives. Rather it's about fanfiction stories that are based on one question: "What if things went differently in an episode of my favorite TV show or a moment in my favorite movie?" It's exactly what the question implies.

Me? I've been thinking of a "What If" scenario fic myself where I take the Pokemon: Diamond & Pearl episode "A Grand Fight For Winning" and change the ending where in     Spoiler:- Spoilers:
    I try to stay true to the writing style of the Diamond & Pearl episodes while taking some liberties (such as the TRio's rhyming speech being changed to regular speech). I'd say more but I'd rather save it for the actual fic.

So what do you think about my "What If" scenario fic and "What If" scenario fics in general?
    Last edited by matt0044; 26th January 2011 at 1:12 AM.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

You do realize that the only reason modt of the characters aren't entirely Mary-Stu is that they lose? If you took that away I'm pretty sure you would have a MAJOR Mary-Stu problem.
    The Flash Drive of Champions: Backgrounds

There are many reasons to journey in the Pokemon World. It turns out that banishment, Bond Villains, unbeatable rivals and being forced to attend one dance too many are among them.

File 2.5 is up. Gela literally puts on a show for the world to see while elsewhen her world is shattered beyond repair.

Not necessary.

Just because the character wins all the time doesn't they're automatically a Mary-Sue. They could win every match, but once they step outside the arena, they might not have anyone to share it with/have to face some other consequence. As long as something bad happens as a result of their actions (thus showing they have flaws), they shouldn't be considered Mary-Sues.

As far as Dawn goes (from my limited knowledge of D/P anime) she seems plenty flawed because of her careless mistakes for her to not be a Mary-Sue. Almost to an annoying level.

To be on-topic:

I have considered something along those lines in the gameverse sense. My what-if was what if Steven Stone had lost the battle against the player character (Brendan/May) because he was distracted by some other issue (that would kick-off the main plot). I've been throwing this idea around for ages, but I've never been able to think of enough plot points for it to be worth actually reading. I might try to start this after my other two fics are at a reasonable length.
    Yu-Gi-Oh: World Tour
    ~NEW~
    A collab fic (w/ Brandy Beavers & Uninspired Author)
    Third Stop is up [11/28/14]

Heroic Potential
    A Yugioh! fic. Chapter 20 is up [12/14/13]

Quote Originally Posted by Rediamond View Post
    You do realize that the only reason most of the characters aren't entirely Mary-Stu is that they lose? If you took that away I'm pretty sure you would have a MAJOR Mary-Stu problem.
    And I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't and that goes for those who dislike how our so-called "heroes" in the Anime lose the tournament.

I don't even see how Dawn winning the Grand Festival would've made her a Mary Sue. Zoey won the GF on her first try and she's more of a Sue than Dawn ever will be.

That and it's the writers fault for making the "heroes" of the Anime annoying, goody-good, flat characters (though Dawn was somewhat different in terms of development). Had they been better characters I bet you'd be saying otherwise.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

I have done a few of those fics for Pokemon and a couple different fandoms. Each time I have done those fics, I have to think about the stories a bit more because I know what I'll be writing will be going down the alternate universe route and the events happening have to be believable. The last story I posted here that is one of hose "What If" scenarios was Rid of the Scarlet Letter in which

Spoiler:- "what happened in my story:

But yeah, when it comes to the "What If" stories, they can be fun to write, but realize if you write an event that is different from what happened in the original source that you'll have to expand on the consequences of the changed event.

Tumblr | FFnet | Author's Profile| Archive of Our Own | Banner: Umi Mizuno
    I'm still writing, but probably not much Pokemon stuff at the moment. HAM!

I actually wrote a fic about Ash battling the Elite Four (link is in my sig) and it has a lot to do with problems and issues he faces because of his success. It's not like you just have to write that Dawn wins the GF and everything is fine and dandy after that. I'm sure you can make a good story out of it.

I like the "What if" idea that you have because I know a lot of people watch the anime and think, "Man, I would love to see this happen instead." That's why we have these forums, so your creativity can kick in and you can write what your ideas for the anime would have been if you were the creator of the show. I say go for it!

New Chapter: Chapter 4- Unova

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Creature of Storms
    Also check out my completed crossover of Pokemon and Pirates by clicking the title!

"Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."
    Ephesians 6:17

I plan to make my What If scenario I mentioned earlier a one shot alternate ending to A Grand Fight For Winning. Basically, my happy ending. Though if you're not fully satisfied with the fic itself, I might make alternate versions of episodes that take place after DP 177 to make things more interesting.

Don't bump threads over a month old, please.

Closed.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.