Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Sinnoh is Canada: A Theory

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Google Maps
    Posts
    1,266

    Default Sinnoh is Canada: A Theory

    A lot of people say that Sinnoh is based on Hokkaido, and there's certainly a lot of evidence to support it (probably the biggest is the correlation of the 3 Sinnoh lakes to Lakes Toya, Kussharo, and Kutcharho, as well as Mt. Coronet paralleling with the Ezo mountain range).

    But recently, I had a thought. I live in Canada, and I know a fair bit about the place, if I do say so myself.

    My thought was that Sinnoh was, at least partially, based on Sinnoh. I noticed that, hey, there's not a whole lot of evidence or support for my theory. Probably because I'm the first one to have it.

    Here's a map of Canada for reference while reading this post.

    And here's my map with labels showing the similarities between Sinnoh and Canada.

    Region 1, Iron Island, is the Yukon. Yukon is known for its gold production during the Gold Rush.
    Region 2, Fullmoon Island and Newmoon Island, are Banks Island and Victoria Island, located in upper Nunavut.
    Region 3, Snowpoint City and the surrounding area, is basically Nunavut and the Northwest Territories.
    Region 4, the Battle Zone, is Greenland! It's exactly in the right spot.
    Region 5 is based mostly on Ontario and Manitoba - note the rivers running through it towards Region 6.
    Region 6 is, of course, the Great Lakes. That part that juts out into the ocean is very similar to the one in Ontario that kind of spears between Lake Huron and Erie.
    Region 7 is the Rocky Mountains, just pushed to the center a bit.
    Region 8 is basically British Columbia, and Alberta kind of being shoved to the left of the Rockies. Oreburgh City parallels Drumheller, a town known for its dinosaurs. Canalave is Victoria (note how you have to get there by water), Jubilife is Vancouver and/or Edmonton. Eterna and Floaroama are referencing the farmlands.
    Region 9 is Québec. The mountains or whatever there parallel the Laurentians.
    Region 10 is eerily similar to the Hudson Bay.
    Region 11 (the Elite Four Island) is Newfoundland.
    Region 12, Sunyshore City, is Halifax. It's on the coast. And wanna know something really crazy? You know that island with the lighthouse that you can only access by the solar roads. Well, look at the coast of Halifax, with a convenient little chunk of land off the coast. Oh, and look at that in the background. A LIGHTHOUSE.
    And finally, Region 13 is a little (pun intended) shout-out to Prince Edward Island.

    Plus, this is kind of obvious and a huggeeeee Canadian stereotype, but Sinnoh is pretty damn cold.
    Also, even though she's English in the Japanese version, it might be worth noting that Fantina is French. Whether that be the translators acknowledging these parallels, who knows.

    Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by GalladeX; 12th March 2012 at 8:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Mushroom Forest
    Posts
    298

    Default

    WOW. I would never have thought of that. You have some lawgic, my freind.
    フェージングのエコー

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lala Land!
    Posts
    914

    Default

    it is part of japan actually.

    it looks like this prefecture/island.

    here
    I am a double specialist. 3DS FC: 2878 9875 2043 and my friend safari consists of Shuppet, Phantump and Dusclops. Feel free to add my FC and please message me yours too! Greenwich Mean Time+8

    "I battle to have fun, thus I battle to lose." (sizida's philosophy)


    Thanks dratinitamer for the kickbutt siggy!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Wow! I see the similarities of both Canada and that part of Japan. Good find, my friend.
    My Y Team:

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADORRRR
    Posts
    3,947

    Default

    I'm Canadian too and I agree with a lot of these.

    The thing about Halifax and Peggy's Cove is pretty cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chu Chu Jelly View Post
    mods are like the animals at the zoo. fun observe and sometimes throw peanuts at. some of them are even scary at first but after going back and seeing them a few times you realize that they arent. you even realize that some of them may be painfully boring.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Canadians are in Sinnoh! Woot! I'm gonna find me a Pokemon!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Google Maps
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sizida View Post
    it is part of japan actually.

    it looks like this prefecture/island.

    here
    I don't see why it can't be both.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    61

    Default

    You know what... you're not the only one to think this.

    I thought about it too, way before you even started this topic! (Maybe back in '08).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Route 7, Kalos
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Sinnohian people are Canadians! Yay!
    This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Earth Wolf-Howl (formerly Warrior Scolipede)

    FC: 2707-2741-9594
    Friend Safari: Sunkern, Sawsbuck, Maractus

    I have claimed Pyroar!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Sinnoh is clearly Hokkaido. It's the same shape and has similar features (farmlands, coal mining, LOTS OF SNOW). And Battle Island is based off of an island in Russia.
    [

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the wind blows
    Posts
    4,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GalladeX View Post
    I don't see why it can't be both.
    Because you are you are wrong.

    Sinnoh is based on the Hokkaido region in Japan, and had it had been based on a region outside of Japan they would have made a big deal about like they did with Unova.


    "Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

    Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

    You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

    twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NARNIA *****ES!
    Posts
    1,982

    Default

    im canadian, and this looks ok...BUT, I'm pretty sure Victoria island is not North-West, just West
    Black 2 FC: 0047 0978 3613


    Credit to Astral Shadow

    Check out my new RPG and join it:
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...-Serpent-PG-13

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Because you are you are wrong.

    Sinnoh is based on the Hokkaido region in Japan, and had it had been based on a region outside of Japan they would have made a big deal about like they did with Unova.
    It could have easily had some Canadian influences as well. Don't outright tell people their ideas are wrong when it's all simply speculation.
    My Y Team:

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the wind blows
    Posts
    4,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mortimor View Post
    It could have easily had some Canadian influences as well.
    It doesn't. Sinnoh is based on Hokkaido and Kunashir Island and has no Canadian influences at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mortimor View Post
    Don't outright tell people their ideas are wrong when it's all simply speculation.
    Speculation is mealy a guess based on incomplete evidence, in which no one is right or wrong.

    However in this case we know what Sinnoh is based on and the evidences backs it up, furthermore in an Iwata's ask interview Junichi Masuda stated that Unova was the first region that isn't based on Japan nor has any ties to it.


    "Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

    Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

    You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

    twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    While Sinnoh is intended to be like Hokkaido, I find it pretty crazy that it resembles Canada so closely, too. Props to you for pointing this out - with all that evidence, too!
    Team Awesome:
    Lineup 1:
    Lineup 2:

    Check out my Pokémon fanfiction account!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    From the land down under...
    Posts
    6,622

    Default

    Please don't bump threads from over a year ago. Closed.

    A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.


    Other Fics
    Unfortunately Blue | Notice: Keep Out | Turnabout Assumptions | Song Parodies
    Snapshots

    Check out this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut? Check the forums too!
    Current article:
    Pokémon Places - Mt. Pyre! Learn how to avoid getting mugged!
    Avatar is edited, cropped pic by minty-fivestar on DA (adding backgrounds FTW!), and fic banner by cieux.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •