Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pros & Con Artists! (326)

I liked the episode. Medicham's voice was cool. I like Medicham. Grace was a little weird. The faces she made were scary and stupid looking. I can't stand Drew. His hair flip thing is dumb and his stuck up, im-better-than-you attitude is just plain annoying. I wish for once that Ash won and shut Drew up. May kinda got annoying with all her whining and crap. She's been training for along time and she still doesnt know how to connect with her pokemon or even know what to do in a contest? I know shes only been in one but i guess how can you expect a ditz to learn anything quick? The only really good thing bout the ep was Medicham. Will James ever stop cross dressing??

Fan of #336 Seviper the Fang Snake Pokemon
    Seviper's sword-like tail slashes enemies and douses them with a horrible poison.
    Seviper shares a life-long, bitter rivalry with Zangoose.
    Evo Line: Seviper
    Fave moveset: Poison Tail, Toxic, Sludge Bomb, Flamethrower

Banner by me ~RT

slysunshine Guest

Drew's voice did sound different to me. I like it better this way. The other one was a little too much like Gary's.

BTW, what were the puns at the end? I had to miss the last five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by sly_74
    Drew's voice did sound different to me. I like it better this way. The other one was a little too much like Gary's.

BTW, what were the puns at the end? I had to miss the last five minutes.
    announcer: May "Drew" a lot of competition, but her saving "Grace" is that she has beautifly on her side. "May" the best trainer win!

O.O......
    xNodame is my Bishoujo! MUKYA! >:3
    xCurrently playing: MinDeaD BlooD (PC), Dairantou Smash Bros. X (Wii), No More Heroes (Wii) [Lots of stuff]
    xCurrently watching: Nothin' [Playing too many games]
    xCurrently listening: Ayako Ono - [TWO OF US]
    <---

[ HAZUKASHII~!]

{----------------------------------------------------------------------------}
    | Anime List | Youtube Account | Website |

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo
    -I liked the floating sequence...maybe it's just because Ash did that really cool jump into his hat...oh, I'm so weird...

-May crying AGAIN??? I mean, the cry in her first contest was understandable, and real, but this? She was in public, and she dropped to her knees and the whole thing! It was just way too dramatic! I mean, with Ash he's doing it by himself or beside his closest friends, and it happens every so often. He really cried in Bye Bye Butterfree, by himself, for a good cause, and the next time he cried was in Pikachu's Goodbye, by himself, for a good cause. But dropping down in public just because you were about to feed your Pokémon a "steroid", so to speak, is a lame excuse for crying. And don't tell me it has to do with personality--it doesn't.
    It is common knowledge that women are more hysterical than men in public. And yes it does have to do with her character, unless you're missing the whole point of May's approach. You need to stop comparing everything on the show to Ash BTW.

-Ash losing to Drew? I know it had to be done, but it's a bit hard to swallow. I mean, there's this one kid who's been training Pokémon for nearly four years now, got into the top sixteen of the Indigo League, the top eight of the Silver Conference, and won the Orange League. Furthermore he's been coming up with some brilliant combinations as of late, and been very wise in his approach. Then we have another kid who coordinates for a living, battles in his spare time, and just started out. With a type disadvantage, Drew wins. I mean, come on! It's just not logical! Also I feel for poor Taillow; I can't remember the last time he won a battle.
    They did this to show that coordinators are still good battlers. Obviously Ash was going to lose and not show off Drew's weakness. Besides that Taillow is still fairly weak this early on, so it wouldn't stand a chance against a well trained Roselia, no matter how good a battler Ash is.

Besides, we don't know how good Drew is, he may have won a few leagues himself before he became a coordinator.

I didn't really like this episode either, but Medicham's dub voice was pretty cool. The battle between Ash and Drew was stupid. Just because Taillow was paralyzed, it still could of flew to safety. That solarbeam was a critical hit, that's why it fainted. It seems like Taillow is being overused lately.

I didn't like this episode too much. I also disliked the way they pronounced Medicham, and I disliked it trainer as well. >.< I'm not going to continue rambling about this episode though. 5/10
    Diamond FC: 0988-8206-8441
    Name: Alex

slysunshine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zonic the hedgehog
    announcer: May "Drew" a lot of competition, but her saving "Grace" is that she has beautifly on her side. "May" the best trainer win!

O.O......
    Thanks!!! That had me really curious. I have to admit that that's a little strange.

I think this was a good overall episode. I found Grace funny! The battle between Ash & Drew was pretty interesting. May cried because she felt very guilty about falling for TR's trick. And what if the Pokeblocks were dangerous and could have hurt Beautifly? It would have been her fault. I think I can understand her crying.
    *~ Happily Paired Up with MewSkitty! ^^ ~*
    *~ Rivals with Breeder! XD ~*
    -------Catnip-Powered Skitty™-----
    All rights to act insane reserved.

This episode was nice, I like how they finally got to Fallarbor Town.

Grace kept doing that thing, where she twitched up her face. That was kinda weird, and kinda funny at the same time...

Medicham's psychic attacks were nice.

I expected Drew to come back, but that doesn't mean it was boring to see him come back. That battle he had with Ash was interesting, and I thought Ash would win. But he didn't, I didn't expect that.

One of my favorite parts of the episode was Team Rocket's scam. It was actually pretty clever, having those super rare (yet fake) gold and silver pokeblock, right before the Pokemon Contest. They even almost got May to buy one.

James seems to be crossdressing every now and then, again. Even though that's kinda weird, it's sometimes funny (I recall the episodes "Battle aboard the Saint Anne", and...er...I forgot the name of the second one, it's the one when Team Rocket starts up a Pokemon Breeding shop, and called themselves Salon Rocket).

I give this episode an 8/10.

Gryphon Turboclaw Guest

Exclamation

This was a very nice lead-in to the upcoming episode.

Ash and Drew's battle was interesting(at least what was shown), but it seems that the writers were trying *too* hard to show Drew off as a capable battler. Also, I noticed that Drew was attempting to use Ash as an object lesson to May once she showed up at the battlefield(which apparently had Drew's desired effect of knocking down her confidence still further than it already was at the time). It should be interesting indeed if Ash decides to return the favor on Drew (probably pitting     Spoiler:
    against the coordinator's roster) in the future. Oh, and Cybercubed...they (the writers) weren't stressing Taillow's weakness, but *Ash's*(in particular how Ash's "confusion" lead to Taillow's own). Ash could have sent in     Spoiler:
    and the writers would have *still* had Ash lose, just for the sake of the point you iterated.

You see a lot of TR scams, but you don't often see one that's actually befitting them these days. That Pokeblock scam was quite intelligently done; in fact, it wasn't until Grace---BTW, Big Al, she's a coordinator who figures quite prominently in the next ep---blew their cover that TR found themselves in over their heads.

May's behavoir during this episode was completely understandable, given what happened in her contest debut. At least---in no small part thanks to Grace---she's finally starting to learn how to steel herself before these events. Suffice it say, it's going to be a blast watching her in the rest of the contests. Ultimately, I'd wager that her future Grand Festival performance will boil down to whether or not May can keep Drew out of her head and---at the right time---in her crosshairs(Ash should be able to help her out in that department).

For those of you who think Drew shouldn't have been able to win, keep in mind that he was the one who selected both pokemon for that battle. Any sufficiently intelligent trainer can come up with a strategy to overcome a particular disadvantage, and Drew had had plenty of time to think of his before challenging Ash. Furthermore, he could be fairly sure that Ash would be overconfident, and used that to his advantage as well, exploiting Ash's confusion about what to do when things suddenly weren't going so well. If Ash had been the one at a type disadvantage, or if it had been anything other than a 1 on 1 match, I doubt Drew could have won.

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd
    For those of you who think Drew shouldn't have been able to win, keep in mind that he was the one who selected both pokemon for that battle. Any sufficiently intelligent trainer can come up with a strategy to overcome a particular disadvantage, and Drew had had plenty of time to think of his before challenging Ash. Furthermore, he could be fairly sure that Ash would be overconfident, and used that to his advantage as well, exploiting Ash's confusion about what to do when things suddenly weren't going so well. If Ash had been the one at a type disadvantage, or if it had been anything other than a 1 on 1 match, I doubt Drew could have won.
    So what you're saying is that this was Ash's loss not Tailow's. I still think Tailow's Guts Ability had a perfect opportunity to be shown. It would have been interesting to see how Drew would have reacted to Tailow's sudden surge in power.

However, the trainer needs to keep a level head in the battle to win. Still, when using attacks like Stun Spore against Pokemon like Tailow, You're taking a big gamble.

EDIT: Actually, it would have been better if Ash told Tailow to go straight into the Stun Spore. Drew would think Ash was insane. Then Drew's plan to confuse Ash would have back fired as he would be the one confused about ASh's course of action. Then Roselia would be bird food. He's gotten too short changed to look to plant.
    Last edited by The Big Al; 2nd November 2004 at 10:48 PM.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Lindsay Guest

Lots of negativity here! Must be alot of May-haters. Because this one seriously one of my favorite episodes ever. It had great character growth for May and plenty of dramatic tension. Grace is a breath of fresh air when it comes to Character of the Days. A tomboy and a goofy one at that. Pretty cool and different from the usual generic people.

Indigo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cybercubed
    It is common knowledge that women are more hysterical than men in public. And yes it does have to do with her character, unless you're missing the whole point of May's approach. You need to stop comparing everything on the show to Ash BTW.
    Okay, I admit I compared that to Ash, but I did that on purpose. No other characters but Ash and May have cried significantly on the show, so Ash was my only comparison. As for the personality issue, may I remind you of a certain quote May stated in Win, Lose, or Drew, "Okay. No more crying." Look what she does next contest time. It isn't her character: it's either her inability to keep promises, or the fact that the writers are overdoing it just a little bit.

They did this to show that coordinators are still good battlers. Obviously Ash was going to lose and not show off Drew's weakness. Besides that Taillow is still fairly weak this early on, so it wouldn't stand a chance against a well trained Roselia, no matter how good a battler Ash is.
    Yes, but the way they did it was...unethical. I am well aware that they had to make Ash lose, but...Taillow just stood there. Ash could have easily issued a command to beat the crap out of Roselia, as he has done so, so, so, so many times. They just chose this time to make Ash freeze. I just don't buy it. Maybe had Drew done something to give Ash absolutely no way to get out, I might have been more convinced. But Ash has been in that situation before thousands of times and has always pulled through, despite the Pokémon he was using. Also I'm sickened at the weak fight Ash put up, if any. He wasn't trying, and that doesn't seem like Ash. I thought he learned that lesson back in Johto. Remember Ephram and Skiploom?

Besides, we don't know how good Drew is, he may have won a few leagues himself before he became a coordinator.
    I seriously doubt that. He seems like the kind of guy who has been a coordinator for only a short time but acts like he's been doing it all his life, like Gary did. Think of Drew like Gary; their similarities are truly uncanny.

Yeah, the writers certainly do seem to make Ash an idiot wheever it suits them. I wish they would keep Ash consistant. He's learned so much about battling but they throw it out the window just because they want to lose.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

...I can't beleive some of you people found Grace annoying. She's one of the best trainers to ever grace the show (shoot me for that), and it was certainly nice to see another rare moment where a character has a distinct personallity and trait. How could you not love the faces she made as she cracked up in laughter? (although, the laughter itself was...not...good)

I don't see what the big deal is about the whole battle either, it seemed perfectly fine to me in all honesty. Taillow did seem to do a pretty decent amount of damage to Roselia, thus launching it spirraling into the air.
    With Roselia performing so many long-range attacks like Magical Leaf and Stun Store, its understandable that Taillow had to keep its distance. Of course, Ash had to attempt to have Taillow inflict a little more damage to Roselia, so a close-range attack is all he could hope for. Unfortunatly, that didn't work and I imagine it would be pretty easy to hit a bird that goes into a steep climb. Spun Spore paralyzing Taillow, and a solar beam slamming it to the ground? You can't tell me a little swallow-like bird is going to stand any chance against that, especially when its unable to move 0.o;

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo
    As for the personality issue, may I remind you of a certain quote May stated in Win, Lose, or Drew, "Okay. No more crying." Look what she does next contest time. It isn't her character: it's either her inability to keep promises, or the fact that the writers are overdoing it just a little bit.
    True, she did say no more crying. But, I don't recall it being a promise to herself or anybody else. If I were in her shoes at that moment, I'd have probably felt awful about myself. Seeing your rival charging ahead of you, watching him thrash one of your best friends, having him insult your skills and knocking down your confidence. Add in almost resorting to cheating and not relying on her Beautifly's own potential, and you're going to feel pretty damn crap~ So, I understand why she was crying, and I think it was in character for her, considering she is the most emotional member of the cast more often then not. But thats just how I see it as all ^^

Team Rocket were just...friggin' awesome in this episode, theres no other way to describe it. These are the sort of scams I like to see from the gang, as this one was actually pretty well thought out, and suckered a lot of people into buying the whole thing. James and Cacnea in drag was hillarious, but Wobba in that trench coat? Damn, that was one of the highlights of the episode. How could you not love that?

Edit: On a side note, I actually really liked Medicham's voice, and I actually thought it suited it pretty well. *tries to figure out whether he likes the original voice or dub voice better*
    Last edited by Gravy; 7th November 2004 at 12:52 PM. Reason: udnerstnad?! WTF kind of typo is THAT?

That girl at the pokéblock counter had Misty's voice!!!
    Triplets with Prof.Cinders and treynor33!
    Buddies with ~Bayleef~

Click the mini-banner to visit my favourite forum!
    The Kyak Islands (Pokémon RP Forums)

I AM LOVING MANYULA!

Factory Head Noland Guest

I really enjoyed this episode but I can't believe that Ash lost to Drew! Even May has beaten Drew's Roselia!
    Grace is cool! She is really funny when her eyes go kind of....Wobbuffety (but with an extra line).
    I think that the Pokemon Contests will be a great one because there are so many great Co-ordinators entering.

Hales Guest

I thought May came close to beating Drew, but TR interrupted so that match was put on hold... and then in the Contest prior Drew beat her?

Could be wrong.

Grace was horrible! She ruined it! Medicham's voice was bad, but the TR pokemon dressed up was good. 3/10
    Used to be Absolkid, -Absol-, Former Absolkid and Cipher Admin Absolkid!

Grace was Ok other than the gag which was annoying. I agree with Gravy about the Team Rocket involvement, they rocked! The James and Cacnea relationship is good and long it may continue, as Cacnea certainly seems to suit his personality, I didn't think Weezing did at all to be honest.

I know I moan a lot about the Hoenn episodes recently but this one was pretty good. It was an excellent filler, in that it built up the suspense for the actual contest itself for the next episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Edit: On a side note, I actually really liked Medicham's voice, and I actually thought it suited it pretty well. *tries to figure out whether he likes the original voice or dub voice better*
    Nope have to disagree with you this time, I hated it, it sounded queer. It's annoying screeching voice nearly gave me an earache!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokémon Master Josh
    That girl at the pokéblock counter had Misty's voice!!!
    Yeah i noticed that too today. You'll also notice that again if you watch "Showdown in Pewter City" where Misty's voice happened to be one of Brock's sisters at the point where all of them held Ash back during his rematch with Brock, saying "leave him alone you big bully!"
    Last edited by Sharpshooter; 7th November 2004 at 9:02 PM.

Katsuya Guest

I HATED Medicham's voice! It sounded like a 70 year old on helium!

I liked the way they made the name, I'd called Medicham that before the episode. Nice to see I got one right at least.

First time I saw Drew - GODLY! By that I mean he's got to be God in order to defeat Ash. Grace was way too hyper, but her voice was okay.

I thought the Puns were good actually!

Ignore what I said earlier. This episode was poorly handled in translation. :\

Nyaasu's explanation of the Porocks (Pokéblocks) is much different compared to Meowth's. Nyaasu explains that the Contests can judge a Pokémon's cuteness, smartness, beauty, coolness, and toughness. Meowth rambled on about different qualities for Pokémon (such as courage when Nyaasu was explaining toughness). One thing they had to change was Nyaasu's whole reasoning for puffing out his lips and posing. Originally he said that the Porocks could make any Pokémon sexy (XD), whereas Meowth was saying it'd make their lips all puffed out like so.

Music was pretty much tossed out the window until the near when the Rocket Gang reveals themselves. English Grace kept shouting the WRONG attack. Japanese Grace told Medicham to use Nenriki/Confusion, not Psychokinesis/Psychic. Makes no sense to change the name if it was for mouth flaps when Nenriki and Confusion have the same amount of syllables whereas Psychic doesn't.

Can't forget, silence is taboo on 4Kids part. So they obviously added dub music. Basically it was the standard dub with constant errors and changes. :\
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Geki Guest

Didn't care for this episode much, I could take it or leave it.

2/10

The episode has finally aired in german television and I was finally able to see it.

On dogasu´s homepage he said that wobbuffet´s pipe were erased from the dub but in our version it was there all the time. strange, same with brock´s wine glasses in his fantasy.

could this edit thing be the same as the badge case edit which was only in one dub version?
    4 Generations - 8 Teams - 48 Pokémon - 1 Trainer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast