Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 121

Thread: Poetry Commotion! (331)

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    What? Does that matter?
    Posts
    1,515

    Default

    God awful? it suits Flannery perfectly! =P

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, Ihng-Land
    Posts
    5,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude
    Just saw one of the preview clips on Pokemon.com. Flannery's dub voice has probably been used before in the anime lots of times, but it still seems to fit her.
    Not to be one who seems completly inept and unable to find something right under his own nose, but may I ask where exactly this preview clip is located on the site?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cybercubed
    4kids ruined a perfectly good character with their horrible reuse of VA.
    The thing is, Lisa Ortiz is capable of doing some really kick-a*s voice acting. Remember the voice of Sabrina from way back?
    I'm not sure why the only voice she seems to do these days is that same, scratchy girl's voice, but it is just terribly annoying, especially since its started to carry over into other dubs.
    I never really complain about the voice acting of the human characters, bar James, but seriously, Lisa needs to get her act together methinks~ Bah...

    I find it ironic that those who (IMO) provided some of the better voice acting in the show (namely Nurse Joy and the narrator) have disappeared, yet we're stuck with the same Chigusa.Shauna/Liza/random-other-girl voice >.>
    Last edited by Gravy; 20th November 2004 at 3:58 PM.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,937

    Default

    The problem is that for the one shot trainer girls 4kids uses about three voices.

    There is the younger girls voice, which is like Casey's and Macy's.

    There is the young adult voice, which sounds like the girl with the Numel from last week, Whitney, Roxanne etc.

    And then the mid-teen girl, which is Flannery, Shauna, etc.

    They just recycle through the same roles over and over. The young adult voice appears the most, but since that's a "standard" voice, it's not too annoying.

    Overall 4kids raped Flannery's character voice wise, and it's a shame because she's the most popular GYM leader in Hoenn too.

    And the thing is that 4kids DOES have other voice actors, but the pokemon group gets the same 3 or so for the filler characters. Highly disappointing.
    Last edited by CyberCubed; 20th November 2004 at 4:09 PM.

  4. #54
    Lindsay Guest

    Default

    Come to think of it, Mr. Moore in disguise gave off a major Blaine vibe. Or is it just me?

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Forums
    Posts
    4,856

    Default

    I can only imagine how funny it would be if a future episode had two Characters join together that 4Kids decided to tack the same voice on to.
    V | Faction


    You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

  6. #56
    Robert Guest

    Red face

    Torkal and Flannery's dub voices were great (IMO), but it was a relatively dull episode overall. The concept of "I can't go back after such a send off!" has been used before, quite recently, actually. Not a whole lot wrong, but not a whole lot right.

  7. #57
    Togepi Trainer Guest

    Default

    I liked it, but the send off concept what just used about 20 episodes back, sigh.

    Flannery was warm.

    My Togetic in the TC was pretty cool.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    not where you think
    Posts
    5,246

    Default

    well... It was okay... I don't really see why some people have been going apeshit over this episode... I never really saw flannery as sexy... she's cute and attractive, yes... "Hawt" though?, no...

    and I was somewhat dissapointed that Liza Ortiz did Flannery's voice... but then again... 4kids have about 10 voice actors to work with -__-;, but at least some try to make an effort to make the characters sound different

    BTW, Liza Ortiz did the voice for Sabrina, but she actually sounded very different from her usual work
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Utsunomiya-shi, JAPAN
    Posts
    2,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    The thing is, Lisa Ortiz is capable of doing some really kick-a*s voice acting. Remember the voice of Sabrina from way back?
    I'm not sure why the only voice she seems to do these days is that same, scratchy girl's voice, but it is just terribly annoying, especially since its started to carry over into other dubs.
    I have to disagree with the whole "Lisa Oritz can act" statement. Thing is, the girl has this really grating voice, and she does nothing to make Character E sound any different from Character A, B, C, or D. She's just using her Lina Inverse voice for all the characters she voices in Pokémon, and it's really annoying.

    Lisa Oritz is, without a doubt, one of my least favorite voice actors in all of English dubbed anime. She's the reason I can't watch the Slayers dub, and whenever she voices a character in Pokémon she makes me want to stab my ear with a Q-Tip. Really, 4Kids, get some new voice actors.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    So far, yet so near
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    This episode seemed short to me. Maybe because I was tired... I know Flannery's voice was highly familar, but it suited her. I liked Flannery's first appearence; not many Gym Leaders are introduced on fire! XD! I thought it was a nice episode. Meg & Mag are cute names! ^_^
    *~ Happily Paired Up with MewSkitty! ^^ ~*
    *~ Rivals with Breeder! XD ~*
    -------Catnip-Powered Skitty™-----
    All rights to act insane reserved.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ares Vallis
    Posts
    5,311

    Default

    Well, the thing about Liza Ortiz is that she really did an awesome Sabrina (and probably some others from the first season that I can't remember), but now all she does are the overused filler girl voices. What baffles me is that the same person who did Sabrina so well just sticks to the same scratchy girl voice all the time and never has any variety lately. I think if she wanted to, she could really do well, she just doesn't try to make a distinction between characters. It's really a shame because she has potential and isn't doing anything with it. Think if all the characters had unique voices that fit as well as Sabrina's.
    Last edited by Heracross; 20th November 2004 at 6:35 PM.
    ~

  12. #62
    Indigo Guest

    Default

    This episode...

    Pros:

    -Flannery's debut. Man, Flannery has to be the best Gym Leader in Hoenn by far! Glad to see her make her debut. She was pretty cool.
    -Ha. Mr. Moore was kinda funny and HE ACTUALLY RECOGNIZED TEAM ROCKET! More proof that the team is...not very observant.

    Cons:

    -Ouch. Flannery's voice. I picked up that cheesy Liza Ortiz voice right away. It's Shauna's, it's Liza's, now it's Flannery's. It's not fair! Liza Ortiz can do so much more than this! 4Kids can really jip us sometimes, and this is one of those times.


    There isn't much else to say except this was a pretty mediocre filler. Had it not been Flannery in the episode, people would have been criticizing it left, right, and center.

    7/10. They can do better than this.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    What? Does that matter?
    Posts
    1,515

    Default

    Just to let you know, until a few weeks ago, I never knew who Lisa Ortiz was.

  14. #64
    Indigo Guest

    Default

    Okay...that's nice.

    But I have to admit, I didn't know she did Sabrina. Now I'm even more pissered off at what 4Kids puts up for us.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Mississauga, ON, Canada
    Posts
    1,852

    Default

    Well, this was good, as we never heard the voice of Typlosion...oh well...i'm still happy with this EPISODE...
    (>^_^)> !i!i!i! ~ŁańkaŃ \|/ ßlάĉK §ϋŃ~ !i!i!i! <(^_^<)



    Click here to be directed to the game ---> Pokemon Survivor

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, Ihng-Land
    Posts
    5,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    I have to disagree with the whole "Lisa Oritz can act" statement. Thing is, the girl has this really grating voice, and she does nothing to make Character E sound any different from Character A, B, C, or D. She's just using her Lina Inverse voice for all the characters she voices in Pokémon, and it's really annoying.
    You're quite right to disagree I have to say, and I honestly do share your opinion on the matter. I myself am not really fond of her 'skills' in the field of voice acting either and the voice she does use over and over does make my ears bleed.
    But, I dunno...with that performance she did with Sabrina, it does make me wonder a little. She must have some sort of ability to act if she can produce a voice like that (You have to admit, that was one of the better voice-overs on the show). Not enough ability to actually count it seems, as that is the only reason I can think of to stick up for her~

  17. #67
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,927

    Default

    Okay, if you ask me, in trying to impress girls, Brock has indeed gotten worse.

    I mean, look at how desprate he was this time! LOL!

    Anyways, I liked seeing how irresponsible Flannery was. Shows you that it's just not easy being gym leader.

    Only thing I really hated was Torkoal's voice. >_< Please, pick something else, 4kids!!

    I give it 8/10.

    See ya!

    - *laughs at how much worse Brock has gotten.*

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Around water.
    Posts
    2,457

    Default

    I liked this episode, mostly. It had the debut of Flannery which was nice, and her grandfather was funny. It was nice to see Torkoal, too. And the only other time I've ever seen Typhlosion is in that episode in Rustboro, in that Pokemon school, and that was only for a second.

    As for Flannery's voice, I think it is overused, yet it was a good voice for her. Maybe in the future Liza Ortiz will make some more unique voices.

    8/10.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    After Colonly 195
    Posts
    4,841

    Default

    Okay, until today I could not figure out all the people like Darkgamer who are crazy about Flannery. BUT NOW I DO. My gosh she is smokin. The only non-video game anime girl I ever thought was hot. It was an okay episode, but I am giving it a 10/10 anyway because Flannery is that hot!!!!

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Utsunomiya-shi, JAPAN
    Posts
    2,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    But, I dunno...with that performance she did with Sabrina, it does make me wonder a little. She must have some sort of ability to act if she can produce a voice like that (You have to admit, that was one of the better voice-overs on the show). Not enough ability to actually count it seems, as that is the only reason I can think of to stick up for her~
    I think people are giving Ms. Oritz waaaaaay too much credit for the work she did as Sabrina. Yes, it was different from her usual Lina Inverse voice, but it was really just a standard monotone voice. Sabrina's emotionless character doesn't require any sort of acting "skills" to pull off successfully, since the character doesn't really emote much at all.

    That's like saying that the girl who did the voice of Robin in Witch Hunter Robin or Lain in Serial Experiments Lain can act because they can pull off the "emotionless goth girl" voice. I really don't see that as much of an "accomplishment" since I guarantee you that everyone on this message board is capable of sounding as emotionless and bored as Lisa Oritz did in the two Sabrina episodes.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

  21. #71
    meggirl63 Guest

    Default

    I say this episode was really great!

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    508

    Default

    I liked this episode as well as the gym battle episode. Mr.Moore had one powerful Typhlosion, and since we have never really seen Typholosion before on the anime, it was a special treat.

  23. #73

    Default

    This was a cool episode. Flannery isn't as great as you all make her out to be, but she was cool. I liked the beginning most("Hot! Hot! Hot! Hot!"). That was funny. I liked where Old Man Moore showed Flannery the safe in the bathroom, that was hilarious!! Hey, does anyone find it odd that Flannery petted her Slugma?? Shouldn't she have been burned badly? On a side note, I thought Typhlosion's voice was too high pitched. But, that was recovered by a correct Trainer's Choice(as opposed to the ABYSMAL one in the actual battle).

    Overall rating:
    8.3 out of 10!!
    An above average filler, but we've had better. Then again, we've had worse!
    Last edited by ≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈; 21st November 2004 at 2:38 AM.
    Most Recent Works:


    Hoenn's Legacy - An epic of the destruction of Hoenn, the rebuilding of it, and the second destruction. War story, rated TV-14 for Violence.


    Skitoma - A story of love between two Wurmple unfamiliar with the concept. Rated PG for slight adult themes.


    Ficubes made by me.


    Someone gave me a keychain once that said "You're depriving some poor village of it's idiot." I thought it was a joke but no one else laughed

  24. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    You're quite right to disagree I have to say, and I honestly do share your opinion on the matter. I myself am not really fond of her 'skills' in the field of voice acting either and the voice she does use over and over does make my ears bleed.
    But, I dunno...with that performance she did with Sabrina, it does make me wonder a little. She must have some sort of ability to act if she can produce a voice like that (You have to admit, that was one of the better voice-overs on the show). Not enough ability to actually count it seems, as that is the only reason I can think of to stick up for her~
    I think it the fact that she started out good but as episodes drag on it tiring for the actors/actress. They don't see pokemon the way we do so when they have to supply a voice for a "random character" other than Ash and co, it tiring and stressful. Whether she trying or not in distinqusihing between different character voices she plays, i dunno, but i can see how it hard for someone to say to themself, "Oh let the way i did my previous charcter was like _____ so i should provde this charcter with a _______voice like the japanese verison." over and over again. I would have a hard time trying to distingish voice i did from different character.(though i'm pretty good but you get my point.)

    Btw i forgot to watch these two Flannery episodes today!( i overslept) So when can i watch the rerun episode for these two gym episode that aired today?
    Last edited by That Scary Clefairy; 21st November 2004 at 2:55 AM.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by That Scary Clefairy
    I think it the fact that she started out good but as episodes drag on it tiring for the actors/actress. They don't see pokemon the way we do so when they have to supply a voice for a "random character" other than Ash and co, it tiring and stressful. Whether she trying or not in distinqusihing between different character voices she plays, i dunno, but i can see how it hard for someone to say to themself, "Oh let the way i did my previous charcter was like _____ so i should provde this charcter with a _______voice like the japanese verison." over and over again. I would have a hard time trying to distingish voice i did from different character.(though i'm pretty good but you get my point.)

    Btw i forgot to watch these two Flannery episodes today!( i overslept) So when can i watch the rerun episode for these two gym episode that aired today?
    You'll have to wait till Friday at 3:00. (Doesn't anybody use an alarm clock?)

    This episode was o.k. The voice for Flannery is overused, but fits her.
    The voice for her grandfather was used three times in the last episode (Sean Schemmel) and is now used again. I like how none of the voices were exactly the same.

    Moore could see through Team Rocket's obvious disguises

    Flannery is cool. She seemed like a very nice person, inside and out...ahem

    It was nice to see Typhlosion. The only other time it was seen was in the Rustboro Pokemon School, where it got limited coverage

    7.5/10
    Yeah!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •