Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: All Torkoal, No Play! (334)

Well, we have heard Flannery's Torkoal, but I was hoping Ash's would sound different. I thought they would probably just give it the same voice, but it's still dissappointing.
    ~

Yeah, but as you can tell with the groups Pokemon, all have been learning new attacks and their personalities are being developed. No more 1 dimensional pokes like his Johto ones were.

Even the humans have, as May has received more character development in just the 50 dub episodes we've seen of her so far than any other character on the show.

It's what sets Hoenn apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Heracross
    Well, we have heard Flannery's Torkoal, but I was hoping Ash's would sound different. I thought they would probably just give it the same voice, but it's still dissappointing.
    Good thing I don't despise the voice then.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybercubed
    Yeah, but as you can tell with the groups Pokemon, all have been learning new attacks and their personalities are being developed. No more 1 dimensional pokes like his Johto ones were.

Even the humans have, as May has received more character development in just the 50 dub episodes we've seen of her so far than any other character on the show.

It's what sets Hoenn apart.
    Dude, don't worry, I agree. I was just having a little fun before.

And it seems I've jumped from a Normal Coordinator to a Heat Trainer.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

I've seen the Japanese version of this episode... meh. Yes, Torkoal was caught and Steelix was there too, as was Magneton. But in all honesty, I wasn't really that interested. No swoonsome character for me to fawn over, you see. XD

I can't wait to see the Wattson rematch though. May *totally* hands Watts a*s to him on a stick with Skitty.

I thought this was good episode. I feel so sorry for Torkoal... All those Pokemon ganging up on it wasn't fair. The battle between Steelix & Torkoal was exciting. Funny how Ash had refered to Torkoal as "my Torkoal." Almost as if he knew the future... But I think he meant in a friendly way. Speaking of which, Ash was very kind towards Torkoal. He helped protect it then he helped it beat Steelix. Overall, a nice episode! ^_^
    *~ Happily Paired Up with MewSkitty! ^^ ~*
    *~ Rivals with Breeder! XD ~*
    -------Catnip-Powered Skitty™-----
    All rights to act insane reserved.

I was a bit suprise to hear Torkoal have the same voice as Flannery's Torkoal but oh well. I hated Steelix voive I really like Steelix voice better in Nerves of Steelix and the TC was really hard I always thought Torkoal evolved into Camerupt.

man i cant wait til this ep is aired in the uk..............

i LOOOOOOOOOOVE TORKOAL!
    Your banner was too big, so it was removed. This is your 5th strike, so your entire signature was removed, you were banned for 3 weeks, and will lose signature privileges shortly. Do not edit your signature anymore. Please remember to read the signature rules and get your signature checked if you need help.

Robert Guest

Thumbs up

Torkal's voice is great to me. I don't care what everyone else says.

This episode had great action and some good humor. It was good to see someone other than Ash or Team Rocket to get zapped for once. Good episode.

I loved this episode. Ash got his 4th Pokemon finally!! I hated Torkoal before, but now I like it. There was also a shippy part when Ash rescued May.

There definitely is a lot of development for both pokemon and humans. Which is what makes the Hoenn episodes so great. Also, the battling/training is good. You can see May grow as a trainer and really realize how good Ash has gotten, and I can see why he wouldn't have won the other leagues. He's really gotten good, and still gets to learn things like when he becomes over confident, which is one of the flaws he needs to work on.

As for the episode, pretty good. I've always been a fan of Torkoal. The voice didn't bother me or impress me. Steelix seemed a little small at times, but it is a unique steelix could just be its size. I also liked the whole Steel pokemon habitat deal, thats something we really haven't seen too much of.

I'm really impressed by how much track the WB is covering by airing 2 episodes at a time, at the end of last season I was like, "geeze that Torkoal episode is so far away."

Togemon Guest

I loved this episode! The best episode in a while IMO. Though Torkoal's voice ANNOYED me. Blah... I'll get used to it... hopefully.
    But did anyone else catch the Magnemite/Magneton mistake? It goes from two Magnemites to three to two, and one Magneton to two Magnetons.
    9/10

Indigo Guest

Everything's been said, but I just want to say this:

Ash said, "So, Steelix. What do you have against my Torkoal, huh?" before he even caught it. That threw me off completely. It seems like he had every intention of making Torkoal his own, and he spoiled it for the audience, too. It just...really wasn't good.

Everything else has been said.

The battle with Steelix was awesome, except it lasted way too long. It should have been down after the first couple hits, its special defense is horrible.
    I thought it was a perfect length, maybe even a little too short. The game's Steelix may have weak Special Defense but Special Defense doesn't seem to exist in the anime, and in any event one of the main points of the Steelix's protrayel was that it was a very strong Steelix that had a resistance to Fire attacks. Even then it was only hit three times before going down, it blocked the other blows.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow
    I loved this episode. Ash got his 4th Pokemon finally!!
    FYI, he has 5.

As for my views on the episode, let me first speak of the battle. It was one of the most exciting and well-animated battles they'd ever had in the series! Right up there with Pikachu vs. Raichu, Charizard vs. Magmar, Heracross vs. Scizor, etc. The Steelix was an incredible fighter (much funner to watch than Jasmine's one trick wonder Steelix), fast and mighty. It's entrance, surrounded by a whirlwind of Dragonbreath, was awe-inspiring, as was its incredible use of Dragonbreath, Sandstorm, and Iron Tail to block fire attacks. Torkoal's fighting was well done as well, the way portions of its shell glowed while charging up the Overheat was a nice touch.

*sigh* if only Torkoal was as fast in the games as it is in the anime. :-)

It was quite sweet to watch as Ash asked it (without any prompting really), if it wanted to be part of the team and Torkoal jumped on him crying, but not the hyper cry it had been doing but rather a happy, cute cry while Ash hugged it. ^_^

The Steelix had a surprising amount of depth to it, for a one-episode Pokemon. The multiple gestures and calls it used to command the other Steel types, as well as its fury over Magneton (probably his second in command) being beaten were well done, and the storyline centering around Torkoal wanting to regain its pride as a Fire Pokemon was actually pretty believable. The whole issue of honor in battle was shown well when Steelix was beaten (for once no swirly eyes, yay!), but ordered the other Steel types to leave Torkoal be as it had proven itself.

Oh, and I for one had no problem with ANY of the voices. They all seemed quite fitting.

Anyway, I say it deserves a 9/10 for the animation and battle alone, while the interesting story and lack of useless characters of the day earns it an even 10 unless you want the scale to go higher. ^_^

Other things of note:

1. Skarmory and Steelix kept their Japanese voices.
    2. This is the first time they've shown Sky Attack in the series (it was used by a Skarmory in the Raikou special as well), though the attack was not named when this episode's Skarmory used it, it was either that or Double-Edge.
    3. Many were surprised when this episode first aired in Japan and showed Steelix using Dragonbreath, as at the time the only way for it to know that move was by TM from the GSC generation. Never mind that the anime is not the game, it still surprised people. Of course, when RS was released, Dragonbreath was a move Onix and Steelix could learn naturally. Regardless, it looks like people here still got confused when Steelix used Dragonbreath. I mean really, Zap Cannon? Sandstorm in a beam? (Sandstorm has a completely different color and was used by name by the same Steelix) Study up on attacks people! ^_^
    Last edited by Pokemon Fan; 27th November 2004 at 11:16 PM.

Wolf Cypher Guest

I thought this was one of Ash's most boring "Pokémon Get!" eppies ever. For once I actually wished TR did something. It was just depressing to me. And just in case no one answered, Steelix's green beam was Dragonbreath. At least it wont be too long before someone's *(&%^$ evolves &*(&&^% *(&^! (Can't use spoiler tags right now).

And where was Aggron?! A Steel Pokémon AND a territorial Pokémon!

Quote Originally Posted by SygmaXero
    And where was Aggron?! A Steel Pokémon AND a territorial Pokémon!
    Yeah, I noticed that they didn't have any Hoenn Steel Pokemon. And if Aggron was territorial it wouldn't share his personal valley with anyone.

I noticed that Ash referred to Torkoal as his before he caught it too.

I noticed the shippy part too *Grrr*

I noticed that Steelix used Dragonbreath too, though nobody in the show mentioned it.

I noticed Skarmory used Sky Attack too.

I kind of like Torkoal's voice. It seems kind helpless though, it makes me feel sorry for it.

Torkoal a girl? It didn't do anything like Chikorita...People who think Pikachu is a girl annoy me. Torkoal didn't seem to do anything that would make me think its a girl.

The battle didn't seem that amazing to me. I like Torkoal's spirit and desire to fight Steelix though.

They never seem to make enough Fire or Electric Pokemon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are Torchic, Combusken, Blaziken, Numel, Camerupt, and Torkoal the only Hoenn fire Pokemon? Aside from the starters, that's only three. The only Electric types are Electrike, Manectric, Plusle, and Minun. They seem to dump boatloads of Water's on us. I'd like it if Ash's fire Pokemon evolved.

I didn't like how the Magnemite's kept coming back.

It was a pretty good episode 7.5/10
    Yeah!

Pandemonium Guest

I am know highly convinced that Torkoal is not a girl. It just cries at random times.

Damn, those Magnamite's and Skarmory must really hate torkoal to beat it like that. It was like they were trying to kill me.

Torkoals voice didn't bother me. I'm not sure why many of you hate it.

I also wondered why they didn't show the other (few) steel types. Where was Aron, Lairon, Aggron, and Mawile? Beldum could've showed up or even Metang and Metagross. I would've put Metagross instead of Steelix since he hasn't been showcased yet. Jirachi wasn't shown for obvious reasons.

Didn't May already see Torkoal use Overheat a few episodes ago? Ash's amnesia is starting to rub of on her.

And yes, sadly there is only six Fire type Pokemon in Houen. Pretty sad.

slysunshine Guest

I loved this episode. It was really exciting. Hoenn impresses me more and more every week.

Where do I start? Umm...Torkoal! I didn't like Torkoal's voice last week and thought that surely Ash's would have a different voice. By the end of the episode, though, I was loving Torkoal's voice! I'm used to it now and it really suits Torkoal I think. Torkoal's such a sweetie! So cute! I was pleasantly surprised (though a tiny bit bored with the idea, I must admit) when Ash just asked Torkoal to join him instead of battling it. The episode had enough battling, but for battles, they weren't all that bad.

I'm officially an Advanceshipper now! Ash and May were just too cute. :P I'm glad the only spoiler I knew about this episode was Torkoal, because it really surprised me when that part of the cliff May was standing on broke off. I was like NO! XD Good thing Ash saved May and Torchic, even though they did get shocked.

Speaking of Torchic, Torchic and Skitty were adorable. ^_^ May once again proved that she is a great battler!

9.5/10

It seem that torkoal is crying of of tears of joy instead of crying as a baby like people assume.

ronster486 Guest

I liked this episode. I have no problem with Torkoal's voice but i expected a deeper voice from it. Torkoal does seem like a crybaby but its a powerful pokemon all the same. This was a episode I was looking forward to. 8/10

This episode was teh pwns. 10/9.4 I like the detail put into everything there. Steelix's body turning to kick up the sand, the grand enterance with Dragonbreath, and the actual character(!) of Steelix. Just... wow.

Give Torkoal a break, guys. She had likely gone her whole life being constantly abused by big powerful Pokémon she was powerless against. It's really kind of asinine to expect it to be all happy-go-lucky and independant.

It was Dragonbreath. I'm surprised the episode didn't touch on that.
    Bam! Me 1, dub errors 0!

God. No. 4Kids really gave Torkoal the royal shaft in the voice department. Now we have to listen to that every single time Ash uses it in the dozens of episodes to come. Someone once said Torkoal's dub voice sounded like Barney the dinosaur and I would say that's not a bad comparison. Why they couldn't just keep the original voice is beyond me, most of the time all is says is 'ko' anyway. Then they let Typhlosion run around yelling "Baku!". I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, nothing 4Kids does makes sense anymore.
    ...You're kidding, right? it sounds perfect! Maybe it's an acquired taste. *shrug* Has alot more personality than some of the voices.

The number is probably at a dozen knowing how little we've seen of Torkoal.
    Oh god no. Am I doomed to never see Torkoal again?! T_T

But did anyone else catch the Magnemite/Magneton mistake? It goes from two Magnemites to three to two, and one Magneton to two Magnetons.
    I'm sure there are more than 3 of each in the whole canyon.
    My name is Sibyl.

Okay, I would like to say hi to all my spoiler "Fresh Start" friends. Yeah, you know whats coming.
    Lets start with the possitives
    -Ash and May scene was not hardly made shippy at all. (Score)
    -Finally got to see Sky Attack
    -A correct trainer choice

Now for the negatives (pull up a chair, it will be a while)
    -Ash caught Torkoal, okay, I knew it was going to happen, but I still don't like it
    -Torkoal could not knock out STEEL types, if you really are not bad like people tell me, than why could you not defend yourself against Mags and Skar (I will give it a break on Steelix since it does have a type advantage on him as well). Because it is no good.
    -Max went another show doing virtually nothing. It is not that I totally dislike him, it is just he does not do much.
    -It was the worst Hoenn episode yet, and on par with some some JLC episodes for lack of anything redeeming.
    -It was WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT, the worst capture episode yet.
    -My favorite, it actually put me to sleep. I am not kidding, I wanted to watch the Kentucky vs Tennessee football game coming on at 12:30. But I was asleep when it started. I know some of you are thinking that I was on here and did not go to bed till 6:40 this morning, but I did not fall asleep during the the Spinda episode (though I wish I could have)
    -No TR when they were sorely needed to give this episode something.
    -And last but not least for the negatives---Its rating. .0000000000001. Special meaning to some of you. The exact opposite of how much better I said Charizard was than Torkoal.
    God. No. 4Kids really gave Torkoal the royal shaft in the voice department. Now we have to listen to that every single time Ash uses it in the dozens of episodes to come.
    I am happy to inform you that it will all be over soon

And yes, sadly there is only six Fire type Pokemon in Houen. Pretty sad.
    Worse yet is that one of them is Torkoal, you could have just stayed at 5
    Give Torkoal a break, guys. She had likely gone her whole life being constantly abused by big powerful Pokémon she was powerless against. It's really kind of asinine to expect it to be all happy-go-lucky and independant.
    Yet more proof of how bad Torkoal truly is, what kind of Pokemon were raping it; steel, what is fire strong against; Grass, Bug, Ice, and say it with me STEEL. This is like saying that Torkoal was getting punked by some Oddish, Bellsprout, Jumpluff, and a Bellosom. Not so good huh?

Anyone who wants to correct grammer and spelling, be my guest.
    Scrubs (My Cold Shower) JD's closing Monolouge: As I looked at all the relationships around me, Some that had gone on forever, (Cox and Jordan) Some that were reigniting, (Carla and Turk) And some that were had just begun, (Elliot and Keith) I realized something.

It should have been me. (In reference to Elliot while he is taking a cold shower.)
    YES, JElliot is coming back. Screw Elliot Keith, and all its backers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud Strife
    -Torkoal could not knock out STEEL types, if you really are not bad like people tell me, than why could you not defend yourself against Mags and Skar (I will give it a break on Steelix since it does have a type advantage on him as well). Because it is no good.

Yet more proof of how bad Torkoal truly is, what kind of Pokemon were raping it; steel, what is fire strong against; Grass, Bug, Ice, and say it with me STEEL. This is like saying that Torkoal was getting punked by some Oddish, Bellsprout, Jumpluff, and a Bellosom. Not so good huh?
    Don't forget that type advantiges aren't as all-powerful in the anime as they are in the games. Seviper's Poison Tail damaged a Steel type, Pikachu has damaged several Ground types with Electric attacks, Taillow stands up to Electric attacks very well, etc. Plus we don't know how strong the Steel types of the valley are. Also, Torkoal was vastly outnumbered(One Torkoal VS quite a few Steel types).
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

Indigo Guest

CS, your bias is showing...~^

Just because you don't like Torkoal, doesn't mean you can bash it all you want. There isn't too much hold-its-own evidence in there...

...but this I have to agree with. Although I didn't see the very last part of the ep(stupid TiVo...*kicks*), I know how it went.

Ash: Torkoal, you wanna be part of the group?
    Torkoal: Torkoal tor! *cries. Jumps on Ash.*
    *Everyone happy laughs.*

I can't be too far off.

Even Corphish's was better. At least Ash battled the thing and captured it, fair and square(even though the "wanna come with me?" thing was a little...how shall I put this...non-Pokémon). Not only that, but he hungered to catch it even before he really knew how much of a pain it'd be. With Torkoal, he referred to it as his own before he caught it, as if he had every intention and every RIGHT of capturing it. With Treecko, he helped the thing when it was reluctant and wanted to befriend it, not catch it. With Taillow, Brock told him to catch it(which was...kinda stupid, IMO) but this...this was definitely the worst catch epsiode yet. I must agree.

Torkoal was out-numbered, CS. The Magnemite were all shocking the poor turtle at the same time while Skarmory was striking it with Swift. It was out-numbered. Ash even told Max that. Torkoal may not be as strong as Charizard, but it's not weak. It has some great battles to come. Just give it a chance...
    *~ Happily Paired Up with MewSkitty! ^^ ~*
    *~ Rivals with Breeder! XD ~*
    -------Catnip-Powered Skitty™-----
    All rights to act insane reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud Strife
    Eh? What was it supposed to do? It was ganged up on, and immobilized by being held up in the air with Thunder Wave. Whenever it faught a Steel type one-on-one (like that Magneton) it won. If you want to hate Torkoal fine but at least don't give a strange reason like that.

-It was the worst Hoenn episode yet, and on par with some some JLC episodes for lack of anything redeeming.
    Superb animation, incredible battle sequence, Steelix being more than just a random mean Pokemon, Ash having a rather unique bonding experience with his new Pokemon, etc. aren't considered the least bit redeeming? I thought it was things like that that made episodes great.

What makes it so much worse than the Squirtle, Charmander, Lapras capture or any other Pokemon capture episode where Ash didn't battle the Pokemon?

The exact opposite of how much better I said Charizard was than Torkoal.
    Charizard is a winged dragon, Torkoal is a tortoise, of course Charizard is better! But that doesn't make Torkoal bad. That's like saying Charizard should be hated because it can't equal Ho-oh as a Fire/Flying type.

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo
    Even Corphish's was better. At least Ash battled the thing and captured it, fair and square
    And asking it if it wanted to join him is somehow unfair and immoral? It may be less exciting but if anything having a Pokemon choose to be with a trainer through purely volunteering is superior to battling it. The important thing is that the Pokemon gains respect for the trainer. For most being defeated in battle is enough for them to have respect for their trainer, but if a trainer proves it some other way it is just as valid.

Really, the way people are up in arms over this surprises me. Ash refers to the Torkoal as being his one time, it was simply because he already felt a deep bond with it. And what if he had already planned to ask it to join him? Is that somehow wrong? He still gave Torkoal a choice after all.
    Last edited by Pokemon Fan; 28th November 2004 at 6:55 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast