Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gulpin It Down! (341)

Professor Jacuzzi's name made me laugh. It's so similar to his Japanese name, but it's really dumb sounding at the same time. In any case, he had a nice voice that was different from the other "old man" voice this show keeps throwing at us.

It was also nice to see all of those pokemon we rarely see anymore. Monjara and Parasect need more screentime, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon Prince
    anyone else think that this episode was a spoof of Godzilla vs Hedorah?
    Probably, even though Hedorah and Gokurin look nothing alike. It wouldn't be the first giant monster-movie spoof they've done (they did an Ultraman spoof in "A Corphish Out of Water").
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

definately liked this episode...
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

I won't be seeing the dub of this episode for a while considering I live in the UK, but from watching the clip over at KidsWB's official site, I have to say that Gulpin's voice is so much better than Gokuriin's. The dub versions voice-acting suited it really well I thought, and its nice that Gulpin didn't go around saying its entire name constantly ^.^ Good job on 4Kids part I have to say. If only all the voice acting pleased me this much...

Frost Guest

To me, this episode felt like "Sparks Fly for Magnemite" and "Ancient Puzzle of Pokemopolis," got thrown into a blender with a dash of Pokemon Advanced and were shredded up to make a new episode. It wasn't a bad episode or anything, but certain parts definitely felt familar. I was halfway expecting a Swalot to appear and for somebody to spontaneously catch it...

Team Rocket's role was pointless, and the giant Treecko/Gulpin battle was fairly disappointing, but I liked the rest of the episode. I didn't know somebody replaced Jenny and Joy's voice actress, though; personally, I think she does better at imitating Joy. Although, Jenny in this episode was nowhere near as terrible as Jenny in "A Poached Ego!" because in that episode she just... sucked.

Definitely liked seeing Tangela and Parasect in the show again, two of my favorite grass Pokemon there, plus it's good to see Jenny has a few more Pokemon around. Gulpin's voice was really good compared to most of Pokemon Advanced's dub voices... in which it sounds like a human is just saying the Pokemon's name in a deep voice (I'm looking at yoooou, Absol).

Well, compared to last week's episode, this one wasn't as good, but to me it was better than Take the Lombre Home. I'd give it 7.5/10 here.

-I quite liked Gulpin's voice; I almost thought it was the original one! BTW, is it just me, or does Gulpin look like a very big onigiri from some angles? And I could've sworn they were using Sludge BOMB, not the regular old Sludge attack.

-Prof. Jacuzzi...*giggles* His voice rung a bell...I think it's Solomon Mouto's.

-UNDERUSED GRASS POKéMON!

-I agree totally with V Faction on the Trainer's Choice: Shedinja gets killed by Rock Slide/Sandstorm, and Rock Slide would probably kill Carvanha in one hit without activating Rough Skin. Treecko has plenty of speed as well as the Drain attacks; so it would be the best choice for Larvitar.

-A Heavy Ball...Haven't seen THAT in a while!

-I didn't realize some classic Poké-music was playing during the cannon scene...have to keep my ears open for that on Friday.^_^;

Overall, I'll give it a 7.5/10.

Revolution FC: 2620-9865-4149

Quote Originally Posted by Pika Hikari KT
    And I could've sworn they were using Sludge BOMB, not the regular old Sludge attack.
    I personally wouldn't be upset at them if they did get the attacks messed up. The 2 moves have many similar qualities.

But in this case I think they got it right for the part that needed dubbing. A single shot of sludge that splatters like regular muck is what Sludge would be, and that hit the balloon. Sludge Bomb would be a single or multiple fling of sludge that explodes on contact, something that happened in the latter part of the show but wasn't mentioned by name. That's exactly the way Flannery's Torkoal did it.

And as a side note, this episode made me like a Gulpin a lot more than Grimer. It shows much more creativity. Too bad the same can't be applied to in-game mechanics.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

vulpix Guest

this episode is the best
    one yet in the Hoenn Region!!
    i just love how treeko and gulpin
    got extremly huge.i mean that
    was so exiting!!

This episode was alright! Although, when Gulpin was huge, it sounded had a very freaky sound! But either way, that part was cool!

DENTO-FRUIT
    100% fruit for 100% real fangirls

Togepi Trainer Guest

VERY good, giant Gulpin rocked! 9/10.

Did anyone think the cannon was inhumane, I mean "It sucks them up, and launches them far away at the speed of mach 3!", it looked pure Evil, they were launched miles away in the air!
    Last edited by Amethyst; 13th February 2005 at 2:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybercubed
    Tangela's main "debut" was in Erika's GYM. She used it against Ash's Charmander, and it got a lot of screentime in that ep. It made a cameo in "For Ho-oh the bells toll", but it debuted way before that.

Since then though it hasn't appeared again till now.
    It also had a VERY small appearence in the 4th Movie, but that, of course, came before 'For Ho-Oh the Bells Toll'. Just thought I'd mention it though.

This was a nice change from the cookie cutter fillers we've had for the past few years. No trainer of the day, giant Pokemon tearing up a town Godzilla style. THIS was a good breath of fresh air.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Heracross
    As far as the dub goes, I was really surprised how much of the original music was kept. During the part where Brock is holding the Pokéblock and the Gulpin start to attack, the part when all the Gulpin come out of the manhole and everyone have to fight them back with their pokémon, and when the professor is using his particle beam to get rid of the Gulpin, all the original music was kept (as well as TR's motto theme, but that's usually kept anyway)- definately a plus.
    I was thinking that the music they played was unfamiliar, so I thought they kept it. Guess they did.

This episode was pretty cool. Amethyst, I thought it seemed sort of unusual too. Kinda funny at the same time.

Prof. Jacuzzi...hehe

Mai's voice and Joy's voice were totally different when Megan Hollingshead left, but I payed no attention to Jenny's voice. It was very similar.

Giant Pokemon, a heavy ball, Tangela, Meganium, and Parasect make this ep. cool and original. Gulpin was awesome, 8.7/10
    Yeah!

I thought this was a cool episode. Gulpin's voice seemed very fitting to me. It was funny in the end when the professor sent out his super-sized Gulpin and Jenny told him to put it back in its Pokeball. XD This episode reminded me of Godzilla. Very good!
    *~ Happily Paired Up with MewSkitty! ^^ ~*
    *~ Rivals with Breeder! XD ~*
    -------Catnip-Powered Skitty™-----
    All rights to act insane reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    Professor Jacuzzi's name made me laugh. It's so similar to his Japanese name, but it's really dumb sounding at the same time. In any case, he had a nice voice that was different from the other "old man" voice this show keeps throwing at us.

It was also nice to see all of those pokemon we rarely see anymore. Monjara and Parasect need more screentime, in my opinion.

Probably, even though Hedorah and Gokurin look nothing alike. It wouldn't be the first giant monster-movie spoof they've done (they did an Ultraman spoof in "A Corphish Out of Water").
    Could you please elaborate on the Ultra-man Spoof. BTW, I also giggled when I heard "Professor Jaccuzi."

Proffessor Jaccuzi reminded me of Professor Westwood

I love those kooky scientist types
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Well, they were shot at Mach 3 high into the air. That's gotta be at least four miles away or so. And they aren't the fastest Pokémon around either. IMO, they probably were coming back, but the distance prevented us from seeing them coming!

SC~ out
    Most Recent Works:

Hoenn's Legacy - An epic of the destruction of Hoenn, the rebuilding of it, and the second destruction. War story, rated TV-14 for Violence.

Skitoma - A story of love between two Wurmple unfamiliar with the concept. Rated PG for slight adult themes.

Ficubes made by me.

Someone gave me a keychain once that said "You're depriving some poor village of it's idiot." I thought it was a joke but no one else laughed

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiro
    Could you please elaborate on the Ultra-man Spoof.
    Team Rocket's motto is a spoof of the classic Ultraman villain, Baltan-Seijin. The character has big claws (like the Heigani claws that Musashi and Kojirou wore), and it was able to make after-images of itself the way Musashi and Kojirou did.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Espeon
    Quick plothole I just realized - You know how the Gulpin retreated back into the city after the Pokeblock case was eaten? What's to prevent the Gulpin from returning after they're launched out of the cannon?

Also, did the animation in this episode seem a little...sub-par? It looked how it looked before the show went digital for some reason.

Ah, well. It's still my favorite episode of AG so far. Next week's also looks good.
    I agree, sometimes the animation looks like it did back in Johto. It's like the didn't use digital animation for this episode.

It's very confusing.

Well this was a interesting and decent filler episode in my opinion.

was nice to hear some old kanto bgm as well as the 'riding the boat' bgm from revelation lugia. Jenny and Joy's voices didn't sound too bad either compared to Megan's

overall 9/10
    Visit Pikachu's Den
    Site Returns After Christmas! =D

Quote Originally Posted by Cybercubed
    Tangela's main "debut" was in Erika's GYM. She used it against Ash's Charmander, and it got a lot of screentime in that ep. It made a cameo in "For Ho-oh the bells toll", but it debuted way before that.

Since then though it hasn't appeared again till now.
    Off topic but I have to nitpick, tangela fought ash's bulbasaur

This episode was a lot more enjoyable than i had originally thought it would be, so a definite plus

Quote Originally Posted by PiPikachu
    as nice to hear some old kanto bgm as well as the 'riding the boat' bgm from revelation lugia.
    I have to disagree about the music from Revelation Lugia. They've used that to close every other dub episode since Hoen began and I'm sick to death of it. >_<

Quote Originally Posted by Heracross
    I have to disagree about the music from Revelation Lugia. They've used that to close every other dub episode since Hoen began and I'm sick to death of it. >_<
    No they haven't you are probably thinking of the wrong music, the music im talking about is when Prof Jacuzzi is firiing the Gulpin away, the music from the film im talking about which is called 'riding the boat' is from the Japanese version of the film when ash travels across the icey sea with team rocket on that dinghy. as apposed to the synthesized crap from 4kids -_-;
    Visit Pikachu's Den
    Site Returns After Christmas! =D

I don't know about this episode. They had some pretty wacked-out episodes in the past ("Address Unown" springs immediately to mind, as does several first season episodes due to animation or story, like "The Evolution Solution"), but ultimately this episode failed with me because it failed to be *funny*. I expected it to be wacky because, hey, come on, GIANT pokemon (that aren't robots)? This would have been a great episode if they hadn't made it so straight-faced. One thing I like about wacky episodes is that they make me laugh and/or keep me laughing because they're weird and they don't take themselves seriously. Even "Address Unown" had a sense of humor, up until we got into Larvitar's memories. This episode, however, barely produced a chuckle, which causes it to fail. It would have been nice if the scientist had been like Professor Westwood or Dr. Quackenpoker, now *that* would have been fun. Otherwise, a thumbs down from me.

Oh, and another episode for contrast: "Tentacool and Tentacruel". That wacky episode had a serious and effective social message, but at least it had a nice amount of humor with Nastina.

2/5
    Last edited by wobbanut; 15th February 2005 at 8:27 PM.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) NEW!! 10/11 NEW!! 10/14
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

Quote Originally Posted by PiPikachu
    No they haven't you are probably thinking of the wrong music, the music im talking about is when Prof Jacuzzi is firiing the Gulpin away, the music from the film im talking about which is called 'riding the boat' is from the Japanese version of the film when ash travels across the icey sea with team rocket on that dinghy. as apposed to the synthesized crap from 4kids -_-;
    Ah sorry, my mistake. I thought you meant the music they used at the end, which was also from the second movie. >.> I've never seen the Japanese version, so I didn't know that's where it came from.

Professor Jaccuzi was interesting. His voice was sort of familiar, but unique enough. Let's see how long they have new voices for us.

The super-sized fight was cool. And the heavy ball at the end of the episode was a good idea to add.

Am I the only one who had no idea that Megan Hollingshead played Officer Jenny? I mean, I knew she voiced Nurse Joy, and I knew she left, and the new voice will take some getting used to, but Jenny sounded exactly the same to me.

Meh...this episode wasn't too interesting, but it was okay. 7/10.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast