Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Double Dilemma (344)

This was a very decent episode. Dub-wise I was extremely surprised how much original music was kept.o_O All the music during the battles was kept in-tact. The part when Satoshi is battling the kid with the Golduck, the battle between Satoshi and Haruka, and even when Musashi let out her Habunake, all kept their original scores. First "Gulpin it Down" and now this- I am definately liking this trend.^_^ I do wish they had kept the ending music the same, but I'm not going to complain much about that since the rest of the episode was handled so well.

Overall, it was a very humerous episode, and I enjoyed it a lot. The ending reminded me of "Showdown in Dark City" especially in the original version. Everyone is giving out compliments left and right, but they're really talking about Pikachu, not Satoshi.XD Satoshi even falls down behind Pikachu just like in said episode.

I found the townsfolk quite amusing, they were so caught up in the norman craze that they lost their common sense and got lost in Norman-mania

and that sort of thing can always lead to something funny, even on this particular message board... Mob mentality can be both funny, but annoying at the same time
    Last edited by PDL; 11th March 2005 at 2:41 AM.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Hehehehehe... very laughable throughout the whole episode!

DENTO-FRUIT
    100% fruit for 100% real fangirls

Well, now that I've compared the Japanese version to the American version, all I can say is: holy crap, 4Kids actually KEPT the instrumental Japanese theme when Pikachu zaps Jessie and James' balloon! I never thought I'd hear that song on American TV!

In regards to the episode itself, it was pretty entertaining. Some nice high quality animation in several spots (it's nice to see crowds actually move as they cheer). I don't know what people are getting so worked up about in regards to the battle between May and Ash - Rose called it unfairly and the North Petalburgians kept screwing with Ash's head anyway, so it's obvious they were trying to make Ash lose and get May caught up in the moment. Jessie and James' Caroline and Norman disguises were actually really convincing - can't say the same for Meowth and Wobbuffet, but it just proves that the people of North Petalburg are a bunch of Norman-happy sheep who'll believe anything their shepherd tells them (regardless of whether or not it's really him, apparently).

In watching the Japanese episodes lately, I've tried to predict what certain dub lines will be in advance. Sadly, my two predictions for Ash - "Hey, do I go to your workplaces and boo?" and "I'll never understand this city" - never came true. Oh well, still a nice prologue to the next gym battle overall.

P.S. Chibi May = teh cuteness.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

if someone was keeping track(and i bet someone is), then i would definetly advise them to put this episode in their list of "How Stupid are the People of the Pokemon World?". i think, if anything, the fact that the dude who said "yeah, i've known May and Max for a good deal of my adult life, and that's them!" while pointing to what's obviously a Wobuffet and a Meowth (dressed in drag, he he ) is what annoyed me the most. lordy are those people stupid.

and as stated before, the cheap battle and the mob got on my nerves too, but since i can't do anything about it, i won't dwell on it. But my god......don't these people have something to do other than drool over Norman? he was like their freaking god!
    Currently playing: Pokemon XD:Gale of Darkness

# of Shadow Pokemon: 83
    # of Pokemon Purified: 83 (yes!)

Also playing: Black and White 2

Up to: Land 6

I am also Blackcat88 at Fanfiction.net http://www.fanfiction.net/~blackcat88

I might be the only one who noticed, but this is one of the few episodes where Team Rocket show they know what "the twerps" names are. The only question is, if they know their names, why don't they use them? "The Twerps" thing is getting kidna boring and unoriginal, doncha think?

Well...this episode, if any, would be a filler. But it was funny, I guess.

I agree that those townspeople were pretty dense to fall for Meowth & Wobbufet's costumes, but that was sort of funny.

Weird how everyone suddenly loves Norman...I mean, how much different than other gym leaders is he? He's not that big of a deal...

Although he's pretty cool. ^_^

Meh...this episode didn't attract my attention as much as I wanted it to, but it was okay. I'll give it yet another 7/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse GS the II
    Well, now that I've compared the Japanese version to the American version, all I can say is: holy crap, 4Kids actually KEPT the instrumental Japanese theme when Pikachu zaps Jessie and James' balloon! I never thought I'd hear that song on American TV!
    *scratches head* You mean Advance Adventure? They play that all the time...
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

aura500 Guest

This was a good episode, the first bad ash had with grovle was great. but the only thing that disapointed me was when ash lost to may, if he had only trained taillow more. I will give it 8/10.

technically, Taillow didn't even get hit by Torchic's attacks... if anything, it was landing more hits on Torchic (despite the taunts that Ash recieved from the crowd)

besides, even if Taillow did manage to defeat Torchic (fair and square mind you) chances are that Rose would have still declared May the winner by some false technicalliy of something...
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction
    *scratches head* You mean Advance Adventure? They play that all the time...
    Well, I've never heard it before...of course, I've only seen about six dubbed episodes from Seasons 6 and 7, so that might be a contributing factor. Still, with the knowledge I had, it surprised me.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts

Default re..

The townspeople actually believed that all Max could say was "Wobba"? Isn't Wobuffett's Japanese name "Sonase" literally translating to "That's right" Meaning it would have been more believable in Japan. Still, a Max who always agrees with his sister? How could they not be suspicious? Also, in my opinion, the North Petalbugrites, ians, ese, whatevers, desevred to be ripped off if they could fall for a blue Max, and a May who's suddenly without her "maturing"

I've got to say that i just saw this episode yesterday, and boy was it just plain weird, The way those boys were acting was uncalled for, and i am personally glad they got the snot kicked out of them. Overall until the Ash/May battle the episode was good, but after that it went down hill.

Neo Flygon Guest

Don't the people of North Petalburg get that Norman has to be challenged and lose occasionally. If Norman always wins then no one has the Balance Badge, and if no one has said badge how is there gonna be a Hoenn League Tournament. This is precisely why I prefer the Pocket-Monster Special Manga,
    because in it people can actually use their brain

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii
    Papa Is Idol!? False Gym Leader?!

Heading back to Petalburg City, Ash & Co. get swamped by people fawning over May & Max, the children of their town gym leader. However nearby, Team Rocket are posing as the family and causing trouble. Will they be stopped?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss
    I never saw this epoisde because of 'District 11' offical name of it is
    "FVA District 11 Music Performance Assessment" yeah it long to say.
    So How was the epoisde?

Why don't you just read the reviews?

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts

OH. MY. GOD. This was the freakin' most hilarious episode of the season!!! There were so many great highlights of the episode:

-- May and Max becoming the first twerps other than Ash to be named by Team Rocket (I can't believe James is still the only one not to call a twerp by name)
    -- May's "I'm winning I'm winning I'm winning I'm winning I'm winning..." I know in the original Japanese she just kept saying "ember", but I think it works better that she just did that once in the episode. Although I'm not a big fan of chibi, I think the chibi May the second time was cute.
    -- The dumb-as-a-post neighbor that couldn't tell "May" and "Max" apart from the real thing.
    -- Pikachu getting the accolades instead of Ash. Wow, that was a flashback to the old days ("The Purr-fect Hero").
    -- Ash getting roasted. Okay, so that caused the infamous I-hate-May flamewar last year on this forum, which I remember all too well, but that was hilarious.

This episode was good enough to vault it into #4 on my all-time favorite episodes list (between "Dues and Don'ts" and "Address Unown". Not bad for an episode that got BBQ'd on the forum last year.

10/10
    My Shinies: NEW!! 7/24 NEW!! 7/26 NEW!! 7/29
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: Black1 White1 Diamond Pearl quad hunt
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

Does anyone else think it was weird how Torchic used Ember but then it turned into something that looked suspiciously like Flamethrower?
    Coming soon...

Banner: Made by Azure Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mighty_Medicham
    Does anyone else think it was weird how Torchic used Ember but then it turned into something that looked suspiciously like Flamethrower?
    She used ember so much that the ember fire balls kinda ended merging into the flamethrower like stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Flygon
    Don't the people of North Petalburg get that Norman has to be challenged and lose occasionally. If Norman always wins then no one has the Balance Badge, and if no one has said badge how is there gonna be a Hoenn League Tournament. This is precisely why I prefer the Pocket-Monster Special Manga,
    because in it people can actually use their brain
    In it's defense it should be noted these townspeople were viewed as wierd and stupid by the other characters too. It was all really making fun of how crazy people can get over celebraties. Note how May cries out "This looks nothing like me!"

I liked Max's note near the beginning of the episode where he tells the others that the crowd doesn't really care about May or him, they just get attention because they're Norman's children.

The guy who "lived next door to the Norman family for most of his adult life" was obviously a pathetic fanboy who didn't know the family well at all. Norman probably filed a lawsuit or something to make him move away. There is a reason all these fans stay miles away from where Norman actually lives after all. ^_^

This episode was really good, in both, dub and original, versions. Wobbuffet dressed up as Max was just hilarious. And I liked the battle between Grovyle and Golduck, even if it was a bit short. It's always cool to see Grovyle battling =)
    Grovyle's dub voice was giving me the creeps though ^^"

Run for your lives.

tumblr - livejournal

And the moral of the story is...HERO WORSHIP MAKES YOU STUPID!!!

Anyone with half a brain can tell that those were Meowth and Wobbuffet! What were these people on? 0_o Well, it was funny.

This lovely banner was made by Faerie.
    My Devaintart gallery
    Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have
    trouble remembering how to fly
    Oh, and I claimed Sora from the Kingdom Hearts games in the bishie thread. ^^

Yes people, it was a good episode because it was funny and had lots of humor in it, which is what I've been saying is the key ingredient to making these filler episodes like this one stand out.

In any case, I was hoping Ash would knock the stuffing out of all those trainers and he did, nice one! Shame no one ever gives him recognition, but that's what makes him a good character many respects, reminds of the good Kanto days where Ash was always the underdog, nice to see he still has some of that about him. May got a little bit lucky in her battle, although give credit to her torchic, that ember attack has really come of age since it was last used.

So because of the fact Norman's famous, and Ash is nobody in Petalburg, should make his upcomming match a good one.

Pretty funny stuff in this episode. There's nothing more random then an angry mob, just watch most Simpsons or Fairly Oddparents episodes. XD

I really gotta appluade Ash and his team for beating all those trainers that attacked him. Despite the losses he's had during this arc, he's shown himself to be a lot tougher then he used to be in the early days.

James and Jessie pulled an excellent job looking like Norman and Caroline, and Meowth and Wobbuffet dressed as Haruka-san and Masato was hilarious.

Lotta Ash-bashing in this episode, but otherwise a good one.

"Please don't look at me that way, I'm a very shy little girl!"

This episode was HILARIOUS! XD Although it did rather annoy me that the townspeoples never got their comeuppance. So sue me, I'm vindictive. What really struck me, though, is how much Ash has changed over the course of the series. Can you imagine how he would have reacted if this ep had occurred during Kanto? O_o

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast