Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Love, Petalburg Style! (345)

man i missed the second half of the episode, and was really looking forward to what Max said about the upcoming gym battle. did he say anything about ash not standing a chance or what.

This was a pretty good episode. It had planty of comedy as well as some romance, which really goes without saying given the dub title.:P

Speaking of the dub, it wasn't bad. They didn't keep as much original music as I had hoped (big surprise), but they did keep it when the Rocket-dan send out their pokémon and try to capture Namakero, Yarukimono, and Kekkingu, and when Senri gets mad at them and sends them flying with Kekkingu, so at least some of it was retained.

The best part of the episode was when they kept bringing up Norman around Caroline, or saying things that reminded her of him, and then Kenny would run around frantically and try to change the subject.XD

Ah, this was a good episode. But the whole thing about beating around the bush on just coming out directly and saying "affair" was strange. If I hadn't known anything about the supposed "affair" in this episode, I might have been confused at first. But it's nice that they didn't totally change that part of the plot.

Norman's ignorance of Caroline leaving was funny. And it looks like his voice became lighter. From mostly Yami-ish to mostly Yugi-ish (I think someone said that already).

Speaking of voices changing, I don't think anybody mentioned this yet. But did anybody else besides me notice, in the beginning of the episode, when Ash was walking into the Pokemon Center, that his voice was a little different? It was a bit lower, I think. Well, it was only temporary, but...

I'll give this episode an 8/10.

Edit: Oh, and Caroline's voice ended up being even better than Megan Hollingshead's version of it. Now let's just cross our fingers for Cassidy...
    Last edited by Kamex; 15th March 2005 at 4:23 AM.

Click the link to my LJ and scroll down until you find an entry titled 'Goku vs. Chi-Chi--Pokémon Style!' There's my recap of the episode.(Okay, there's my shameless LJ plug, moving right along...) I thought Slakoth sounded SO KAWAII it wasn't funny. Slaking's voice was alright. I had a bit of trouble writing the review 'cause of the affair thing, but I worked it in anyway.^_^; Next week's episode should be a blast to watch! 6/10 for this eppie.

Revolution FC: 2620-9865-4149

*terribly inaccurate information deleted, see next post*

<><><>

On another note, I wonder if the anime is following the games a bit in regards to Seviper's Poison Tail. In the games it has a basic mid range power like most moves, but it also varies a bit like Present. It can be fairy weak, all the way up to the strongest Poison Attack of all (even stronger than Sludge Bomb). Certainly the strength of this attack varies wildly between and even within episodes, so I bet that the one that blew apart the wall was one of the stronger Poison Tail levels. As James said in that scene, "I don't know what just happened but I'll go with it!" or something like that.

And yeah, Ash's voice sounded deeper several times in the episode, which is all well and good I say. It sounded a bit more mature that way, like it should.
    Last edited by Pokemon Fan; 17th March 2005 at 4:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Fan
    In "You never can Taillow" Brock SPECIFICALLY says he stopped by Petalburg and visited with May and Max's parents, who then showed him where to go to catch up with the group. There was NO dub error, just ACTUAL CONTINUITY.
    Really? Because when I broke out my DVD with this episode on it, this is what I found:

Ash: "So Brock, what are you doing out here? I thought you were gonna go home."
    Brock: "I did go home and everything's fine, so I decided to come back out. Then Professor Birch told me you were headed to Rustboro City, so I decided to come out here and see if I could find ya."

Takeshi says the same thing in the Japanese version.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    Really? Because when I broke out my DVD with this episode on it, this is what I found:

Ash: "So Brock, what are you doing out here? I thought you were gonna go home."
    Brock: "I did go home and everything's fine, so I decided to come back out. Then Professor Birch told me you were headed to Rustboro City, so I decided to come out here and see if I could find ya."

Takeshi says the same thing in the Japanese version.
    *recoils in terrible shame and embarrassment, shrinks into dark corner, circles ground with finger and whimpers for a while*

Ahem, I actually started having doubts this morning and watched the episode myself on DVD, being horrified to find out the truth. Alas, sharper people than I have already caught this terrible error. It's very odd, I was so certain and normally my memory is right on. I must have gotten mixed up with what Nicolai told them in his episode.

Ah well, mistakes happen, thank you for pointing it out. ^_^

Robert Guest

This was a good episode. I liked how they were able to keep some drama and romance with some really good humor. Norman's voice... I think it's a bit too high... And I'm not a huge fan of the dub title... Sounds kind of dirty to me... 0__o Oh well, still a great episode. ^__^

Yama~ Guest

Wow, for having missed the episodes the past few weeks thanks ta other stuff, I really enjoyed this! ^_^ The whole 'affair' thing was cleverly delt with- I was glad to see some real human emotion in Pokemon, as opposed to the characteristic 'we must all be happy and/or lame because this is a kids show!' Okay, so maybe I haven't TOTALLY given up on the new writers. ^_^;

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this before, though- Brock was going on and on to Norman in the PKMN center about how he was supposed to be faithful to his wife and how he made a promise to her and stuff... and then he asks Joy's opinion.

Did she not say "^_^;;; Awkward!" right before he was pulled away?

Because I sure thought she did. XD And I was laughing pretty hard. Cute dialogue in this ep, for sure.

On a side note, this episode made me want a hug from a Vigaroth. o_o When Max walked up to it and hugged it, I was like "ME NEXT! ;_;" Hehe.

Oh, and:

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Pokemon Master
    Edit: Oh, and Caroline's voice ended up being even better than Megan Hollingshead's version of it. Now let's just cross our fingers for Cassidy...
    If they change Cassidy's voice I will CRY. C. R. Y. @_@; They could change eeeevery single other voice Megan has done, but they CAN'T change Cassidy's. That's just... too much. -.o; *pathetic* XD;

Yeah, Ash's voice did sound weird at some parts. Its getting more deeper I think, but it was weird when he told Norman that TR was stealing his Pokemon. He sounded like a tattletale.

And, waht's upi with Kenny! He just appeared, they didn't really telll us who he was, we just know he works for Norman. And he dissapears in the next episode.

And did Slakoth keep his Japanese voice, it sonded like he went "Ke Kero".

And Caroline definately said "Good Lord". And to that reply about Posion Tail, it has a high critical hit ratio.

Well, I was concerned that 4Kids was really going to dumb down this mature, sophisticated, verges-on-the-point-of-something-I'd-write story premise. Much to my surprise, they didn't screw it up too much. I think even someone who hadn't seen the Japanese version in advance would still be able to tell that Kenny suspected Norman of cheating on Caroline. Still, it seems kind of paranoid of 4Kids to edit the scene where Norman blushes.

Other dub gripes include the script and acting. Some of the lines - and their delivery - were golden ("Do I have to draw you a map?" "Sure, if you think that'd help") while other scenes felt like they really needed an American rewrite (the "Dumb, Dumber, and Dumber-er" discussion, for instance). But one thing that pleased me - Slakoth, Vigoroth, and Slaking all sound almost identical to their Japanese equivalents. Nice to see 4Kids actually try to match voices on occasion.

So yeah, an interesting angle to take. What I like about the "Advance Generation" episodes is that they take existing characters from the video games and try to see how they can mix them up with the personalities they're given. The whole "potential affair" angle here was a nice spin on Norman and Caroline, and a good way to showcase both characters effectively. I look forward to seeing the next episode - well, I've seen the Japanese version, but I look forward to critiquing the dub, anyway (there's already one scene in "Balance of Power" that I know 4Kids destroyed without even having seen it).

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiro
    And Caroline definately said "Good Lord". And to that reply about Posion Tail, it has a high critical hit ratio.
    I was SHOCKED to hear her say that. That one bit, Ash did sound like a tattletale. Norman sounded...homosexual, and Nurse Joy's voice was annoyingly squeaky.

----------------------
    {Bishie} Shinichi Kudou {Twin} Shigeru-Kun {Pair} Edward Elric

vulpix Guest

this was a really cute episode.
    Last edited by vulpix; 31st March 2005 at 8:37 PM.

Not bad a episode, funny again like the previous one, but a bit too lovey dovey lol. May and Max, as kids, should be embarressed their parents are celebrating their love with the anniversary, not excited!

I'm glad Ash didn't get involved in the love-mess, it doesn't suit his dense nature, instead stayed home with the pokémon. Although it does appear Norman is as equally dense as Ash is lol.

How did Brock know who Norman, Caroline and Kenny were? He's never even met them before!

Oh by the way I can confirm from the UK version(which is the same as the American version) there was no blushing scene here from Norman when he was talking to Nurse Joy. Some of you were questioning whether it was just US/4Kids edit like the badge case was.
    Last edited by Sharpshooter; 1st April 2005 at 8:55 AM.

Wow, so many great lines in this episode... I see the "dumber-er" and "do I have to draw you a map?!" exchange has already been covered, but for some reason I cackled the most at this part:

Brock: "It means that I have to find out what's going on! This is a job for the original Love Doctor, and I'm sorry, but that means me. Nyai~!" *runs off*

Kenny: "Oh, no, we have to do something!"

Max: "I'm sure he'll be fine..."

Kenny: "But he just said 'Love Doctor'!"

*beat*

May, Max and Kenny: "Let's go!" *run after Brock*

Anyway, I don't have a problem with what the dubbers did with the episode. The suspected Norman/Joy affair was still perfectly clear, it's just that nobody ever stated it out loud on-screen.
    Fic plugs: Taking a Chance (multi-chaptered, Contestshipping/Pokeshipping)
    Firelight (Christmas oneshot, Contestshipping)

I adopted Drew Plushie from Ama's Collection

^ Adopted by moi. Innit CUUUTE?

but they hinted about the possibility of an affair tho

Slaking looks just like my dad! and im not lying!!

it was a good ep

Norman is my fave gymleader!! but wehave to wait AGES for the next ep to air in UK land
    Your banner was too big, so it was removed. This is your 5th strike, so your entire signature was removed, you were banned for 3 weeks, and will lose signature privileges shortly. Do not edit your signature anymore. Please remember to read the signature rules and get your signature checked if you need help.

I MISSED THIS EP! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! But when is it reapeted?

This was a great episode overall. One of my favourites ever. When I first heard about it, it didn't sound too thrilling but when I saw it today, I changed my mind completely.

4Kids did a great job with this episode. It's probably one of their best dubbed episodes of this series. How they handled the affair storyline was very mature and they added some very funny quotes.

The part where Norman was acting dumb to Caroline leaving was just hilarious. I never saw that side of his character before. I also liked the Team Rocket's Dumb, Dumber and Dumber-er quote.

My favourite scene of this episode was probably where Team Rocket destroyed Norman's firework plans and he got really angry.

Overall Rating: 9/10

Quote Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu
    I MISSED THIS EP! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! But when is it reapeted?
    Sky Mix: Monday 4th April - 9:55am

Although check tomorrow morning at 10:00am on Sky Mix. My guide wont confirm what the episode is, but there's a good chance that might be it, considering Sky usually repeat the new episodes the day after.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter
    Sky Mix: Monday 4th April - 9:55am

Although check tomorrow morning at 10:00am on Sky Mix. My guide wont confirm what the episode is, but there's a good chance that might be it, considering Sky usually repeat the new episodes the day after.
    Thanks. But tomorow is Gulpin it down! I checked on my digital tv.guide which comes with normal sky.

Factory Head Noland Guest

This episode was on today, I missed it when it was on last.

I really enjoyed this episode, it was frustrating when no one would tell May, Max and Brock what was going on. I really liked seeing Vigoroth again and seeing Slakoth and Slaking. Man, Slaking slayed Team Rocket with it's Focus Punch! It was so cool, I can't wait for the Gym Battle next episode!

Overall 9.1/10.0

Quote Originally Posted by ~Bayleef~
    This episode was on today, I missed it when it was on last.

I really enjoyed this episode, it was frustrating when no one would tell May, Max and Brock what was going on. I really liked seeing Vigoroth again and seeing Slakoth and Slaking. Man, Slaking slayed Team Rocket with it's Focus Punch! It was so cool, I can't wait for the Gym Battle next episode!

Overall 9.1/10.0
    Ditto, shame we have to wait for a while though before we see it. Sky Mix are repeating the episodes from last week again. I'm guessing its so we don't overtake the Americans.
    Breezy is my little sister. Anyone who messes with her has to answer to me!
    My Twin's are Trillian and Sakara

I just saw this episode again and...Bwahahaha! I still love this episode (beyond the crappy title)...The funniest part was when Brock referred himself as the "Love Doctor"...priceless!

DENTO-FRUIT
    100% fruit for 100% real fangirls

Geki Guest

What a good episode, I enjoyed it more then the battle. Everything was good about it, but my favorite part was when everyone was in the Kitchen and May kept mentioning things that annoyed Caroline, like May having a Beautifly.

9/10

This was a pretty good episode, I didn't know what was going on until about halfway through with Caroline and Norman

n o e l - v e r m i l l i o n
    ノエル=ヴァーミリオン

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast