Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Love, Petalburg Style! (345)

How were the dub voices?

Norman: May, what problem are you talking about?
    May: Oh, Dad... euh..
    Caroline: Norman!
    Both: AH! IT'S MOM!
    Norman: Dear, what's wrong? Where are you going with that suitcase?
    Caroline: I'm going anywhere but here!
    Both: Auh!
    Norman: Caroline! ....Well, do you need any help with your luggage?
    ALL: AUGH!
    Kenny: Listen up! She's leaving!
    Norman: ...Right. I'm just wondering where she's going.
    Caroline: I just told you, ANYWHERE but here!
    Norman: Ok, I guess that means you'll be handling the kitchen detail, Kenny..
    ALL: AUGH! HOW CAN YOU BE SO DENSE!
    Brock: Not everyone can understand women...
    Kenny: What do I have to do!? Draw you a map!?
    Norman: Ok! That could be helpful.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

The dubs were great and accurate to the characters personally and appearance.
    However I did noticed something.... Meowth's voice during his day-dreams sounded like another charater completly this time! Does the players voice do other characters as well?

I like Cressillia

I noticed a mistake in this episode. Why did Caroline and Norman say to Brock "it's nice meeting you again?".

Brock NEVER met Norman and Caroline face to face before. When Brock rejoined the group this was already after Ash and May left Petalburg and picked up Max.

According to Dogasu, the dub version used digital paint to edit Norman's blushing in the pokémon center, which shows that even though they didn't ban it, 4kids still were very strict on the supposed "adultery" aspect of it.

Frost Guest

Is it just me or did Caroline say "Good lord" sometime around the battle with Team Rocket? Maybe "Good word?" I didn't hear her clearly during that line.

And you could see that they were dancing around the issue of flat-out saying Norman was "having an affair," and it was really obvious, but otherwise, the episode fared well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter
    According to Dogasu, the dub version used digital paint to edit Norman's blushing in the pokémon center, which shows that even though they didn't ban it, 4kids still were very strict on the supposed "adultery" aspect of it.
    Jeeze, as if we didn't pick that up with all the "You didn't!" and "How could you!" and "Doctor Loooove!" lines. Really, what did people expect? To have them come right out and say they thought Norman was getting his groove on with Nurse Joy?

Nothing against Dogasu though, I guess. 'Spose he's just doing his thing.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

In the Japanese version did anyone outright say "Norman is having an affair" and the like?

Hopefully Dogasu will have his episode comparison up as soon as possible, it'll be interesting to see what kind of dialouge changes there were. But from what I can tell it seems minimal.

Last week's epi was so bad I turned it off and watched the Maury show when they reaired it. (I told you to was horrible.)

This more than made for it. I'm glad they didn't ban this, it one of the few times I'm glad I'm wrong.

Anyone else notice the medical cross on Nurse Joy's cap was yellow instead of Aqua?

I especially loved when Norman didn't get why Caroline was so angry. Nothing like Marathon face faults.

8.7 out of 10

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter
    Heh, and as I recall, quite a few people were going around saying that this episode would go completely untouched concerning the 'affair'.
    I'd point at them and say "I told ya so!" for their incorrect assumption, but I'm not that kinda guy~
    Kinda odd how crap like the Cramp Twins can have this sort of stuff mentioned on more than one occassion, yet Pokémon can't...*shrugs* Pfft, censors. Go figure, ne?

Overall, it still sounds like it was handled pretty well despite the changes. The conversation that V Faction posted had me in stitches. I actually wouldn't mind getting up at 8 in the morning to watch this if most of the episode followed suit.

Not to mention earlier in the series they were allowed to do things that they can't now. I swear, there is some evil out to destroy anime. It must be stopped.

Pokemon also used to be 4kids' only anime, so they had a lot more time to work on it then they do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost
    Is it just me or did Caroline say "Good lord" sometime around the battle with Team Rocket? Maybe "Good word?" I didn't hear her clearly during that line.
    Yes I did notice that too...Hmm, I wonder! I'll have to check on that.
    Well anyways, I still liked this episode!

DENTO-FRUIT
    100% fruit for 100% real fangirls

This episode was great! I really liked it a lot. It had so many funny parts on it. Norman isn't too bright, eh? Max must've gotten his cleverness from his mother. XD Speaking of which, I'm glad Caroline got some recognizition as a character on this episode. She could've been just known as "Norman's wife" or "May & Max's mother" but the writers actually gave her more of a role then just that. That's a good thing; she's a cool character. I think Norman & Caroline deserve to be on more episodes in the future. Overall, this was a great episode.
    *~ Happily Paired Up with MewSkitty! ^^ ~*
    *~ Rivals with Breeder! XD ~*
    -------Catnip-Powered Skitty™-----
    All rights to act insane reserved.

I'm about halfway through with my comparison. I'm going to go grab some lunch and then be back to finish the rest of it.

The only reason it's taking as long as it is is because dialogue edits always take me the longest to record.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

I liked this episode alot! Slaking is awesome when it's awake! The battle between Norman and Ash is definitley gonna be one worth watching.

Well, I was watching this episode with captions (like I always do with new episodes) and according to the captions, Caroline did "Good Lord." I thought it was very interesting since in cartoons, they usually don't say stuff like "Oh my God" or anything else using the lord's name.

Anyways, it was really funny when Norman was playing dumb at the pokemon center ("Do you want me to draw you a map?" "Ok, that would be helpful!"). I also thought it was sort of weird how calmly Ash told Norman that Team Rocket were trying to steal his pokemon. Usually in a situation like that, he says it in a really angry tone. One thing that confused me was how Norman and Caroline knew Brock before this episode since the last time we were at Norman's gym, the only people traveling were Ash and May (then later on, Max). Maybe May and Max introduced him in an off-screen videophone conversation? I also liked this Team Rocket quote:

Meowth (referring to Jessie and James): "They're dumb and dumber. What does that make me?"
    Jessie and James: "Dumber-er"

One of the best episodes: 10/10

Gymshipping Mihoshi *UPDATED 9/28/08*
    Advanceshipping Hope (a new website!) *UPDATED 9/28/08*
    * Shipping banner made by the amazing Arceus Master

Why is everyone asking how Norman and Caroline knew Brock? PokeStar, you just answered your own question. Sure, on their first time through Petalburg, Brock wasn't with them, he caught up to them later. So Brock obviously had to do some tracking. Isn't it logical then, that he would have stopped at significant locations along the way and ask if they'd seen Ash? No doubt the Petalburg Gym was one of those spots.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Yes, i believe they mentioned Brock stopping by Petalburg Gym before he met up w/ Ash again. I think Brock even said so in "You Can Never Taillow."

Another priceless quote

Kenny: She's gonna blow!

XD

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction
    Yeah i like this esopdose day. I though Naroman, voice voiced different caroline no.
    and my fave. quote.

Ash: Yeah there steal you pokemon norman.

Default bestest

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction
    Yeah i like this esopdose day. I though Naroman, voice voiced different caroline no.
    and my fave. quote.

Ash: Yeah there steal you pokemon norman.

I think it was kind of interesting how the episode kept dancing around the "A" word (affair). They kept in enough drama, but I had no doubt that affairs would be a very touchy subject for a kid show. I like the way the dub handled things, though. They touched enough on what was supposedly going on and how such a thing would feel without using the dreaded word affair.

The ending was definitely the best part of the episode. Norman and Caroline were really so sweet during that part. I also liked Team Rocket going over "stupid/stupider/stupidest". The episode could have easily made my list of top favorites, if it hadn't been for one very obvious flaw: BROCK WASN'T IN "There's No Place Like Hoenn"!!! It's not the first time that kind of mistake's been made, either! Otherwise, it was an excellent episode.

9.9/10
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 12/04 NEW!! 12/10
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: ; playing Y and OR
    To reclaim:

oh yes, TR's "dumb/dumber/dumberer/dumbest" diolouge was amusing... as was Norman trying to play completely clueless

all in all, it was a great episode...
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

MayAsh1987 Guest

I really enjoyed this episode. I like the way Norman played dumb with Caroline when he doesn't get the hint she's leaving, that was funny to me. In a way, Norman kind acted like Ash to me. The way doesn't get what's going on. My favorite part in that episode was when Max was telling how his dad was his hero. That really touched me, and I felt emotional because that is how I really look up to my papi.
    Last edited by MayAsh1987; 14th March 2005 at 3:52 AM. Reason: wrong word

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast