Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Balance of Power! (346)

Robert Guest

This was an okay episode, but disappointing for a gym battle that was so highly anticipated. Ash's Pokemon seemed overly powerful at times... And way too many one-hit KO's... As usual, Team Rocket was completely pointless... On the bright side of things, Norman's voice sounded a bit deeper (and better) than the last episode (at least to me), and I liked the scene with Max at the end. Not awful, but not anything very impressive.

How goos was the dub of Torkoal's battling? I was wondering! I wanna hear about Torkoal's major action cause its his first a last gym battle!

Ugh; I watched this expecting a good battle, but was a little let down. Torkoal's old voice is back, why?! I liked it's Destiny Deoxys voice since it was much closer to the original. Not a mention of Traunt, Static doesn't get mentioned by name, but Overgrow was explained pretty nicely.(and they totally ruined May and Brock being neutral on the battle...Dogasu's gonna have his hands full with this eppie) And look, Super Saiyan Grovyle! Pikachu vs. Vigoroth and Grovyle vs. Slaking were both very good battles. As much as Max and I have the same way of venting our anger, he isn't a very good sport. Then again, he's 7/8 and I'm 16...^_^; Anyways, the end scene was very emotional. Ash has another badge; now on to Fortree! 8/10

Revolution FC: 2620-9865-4149

Quote Originally Posted by Heracross
    It is interesting to note though, that the scroll thing on the wall behind Senri that had Japanese text, or what closely resembled it (couldn't tell if it was real or just some scribbles that looked real) was kept intact in the dubbed version. Surprisingly this isn't the first time though, as you can see a similar scroll on the wall in "Two Hits and a Miss" when everyone's sitting around inside the dojo.
    That's probably why they do it. What's more authentic than a freakin' dojo. Perhaps it's their subtle (extremely) way of keeping any sense of the culture intact?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    I checked the Japanese version (briefly), and I don't think he says that originally. At least I didn't hear Masato say "Shi Ten'nou" during the corresponding line in the Japanese version.
    We can probably already see the outcome, that it wasn't present in the Japanese version. But for all the numerous 'additions' that 4Kids! adds, this is probably my most likable one. After all, when was the last time the Elite 4 was mentioned directly? (and it's still a good line if one ignores the fact that a leader higher up on the ranks [see:wallace and emerald] would have a better chance)
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

I also agree that this episode had a good battle. And, I was happy when I saw Max cry like baby when his daddy lose to Ash. But, I was mad on how he took the bagde away from Norman when he was about to give it to Ash. If I was Ash, I would of break down the door of the room where Max ran into and beat his little whining nerdy looking butt by breaking his face w/his glasses on, break his ribs and arms and say "run your pockets" and get my badge back and steal his PokeNav and wallet. And I would do it right in front of everybody. Now if I was Norman, I would whip his butt with my belt and whip him so hard that his buttocks would be so red that people will mistake them as 2 Voltorbs that are stick to his bottom by static electricity. Anyway, the episode was very good. PEACE!!!

DShaun2004 Guest

First off, let me just say that after 5 YEARS without the WB, I finally have it!!! So now I can officially be apart of these discussions and watch Pokemon again!

2day's ep. was okay. Not the best Gym battles I managed to see in the past. The ep. with May's beautifly VS. Medicham was by far the best animated-style battling I've seen during the Hoenn sagas. I was hoping this battle could've been like that!

I'm sorry to say this: but Max is not my favorite character. At times I can't seem to tolerate him. He's too annoying to me! I know he's 8/9, but still!!! Him always dragging Brock away from a girl. WHY???? What Brock does, what's that got to do with him?? In the next generation, I hope May is still around and not Max! He can be off somewhere with Misty exchanging Brock notes.

Overall: 60/100. The battles were straight, but the animation-style of it all was lacking, plus Max's annoyance. And TR really didn't need to be there.

I thought that it was an intresting battle, the best so far of the lot, and i have got to say two things,
    1.The KO's were understandable, Slakoth was using blizzard against a fire attack, so no duh it lost and got basted, and as for Torkoal, Vigoroth was stronger than slakoth, and torkoal was ash's weakest leveled guy at the moment, plus take thier status into account, do the math.
    2.I rather enjoyed max's little break down at the end of the episode, after all he had been putting down ash's chances of winning so much, that it was nice to see him shut up.
    rating 9/10
    Last edited by Almighty Zard; 19th March 2005 at 6:33 PM.

MayAsh1987 Guest

I liked the battle with Vigoroth and Pikachu, and Slaking vs. Grovyle, that was good, but I'm sorry, music was crap. The whole time I watched this, I was thinking the song "Yeah" from Usher as I watched this episode, trying to ignore the battle music background. Other than that, it was good, but not the best gym battle. It was nice to see the abilities like Static and Overgrow, that was cool. I liked the scene when MAx took the badge and started to cry. I wasn't that surprised how he'll react to his dad losing.
    But also another funny thing that didn't make sense to me is, the scene when they tried to get Max to come out. When Ash said that the badge doesn't matter, and the battle was more important, I was ok. But then when Max gets out and gives the badge to Ash, he gets it and he gets all happy and does the badge pose! Wait a minute! Did Ash just said the badge didn't matter?
    Also, was May lines redubbed from the Japanese version? In the jap one, was she rooting for Ash or something, but Brock stopped her saying not to pick sides. Then in the English version she said to Ash to subsitute a Pokemon, but Brock said that will be bad. I'm confused...........
    Other then that, battle was cool, but the was music lame. In my rating, it gets 8.75 from 10 for the battle! 1 out of 10 for the music!

Quote Originally Posted by MayAsh1987
    Also, was May lines redubbed from the Japanese version? In the jap one, was she rooting for Ash or something, but Brock stopped her saying not to pick sides. Then in the English version she said to Ash to subsitute a Pokemon, but Brock said that will be bad. I'm confused...........
    No, they said nearly the same in the original version.

Well, personally, I enjoyed this episode, but I agree with those who said it wasn't the best gym battle.
    Max was cute in this episode, it was nice to see that they don't make every episode like this: "Yay, Ash won the badge, and everybody's happy about it!"
    It was an understandable reaction of his, showing that he's not perfect or something after all. I like Max a lot more now, don't know why xD

Run for your lives.

tumblr - livejournal

MayAsh1987 Guest

Thanks,
    Just wondering, yeah I agree about how Max will react about his dad losing. But hey he's growing up

Quote Originally Posted by DShaun2004

I'm sorry to say this: but Max is not my favorite character. At times I can't seem to tolerate him. He's too annoying to me! I know he's 8/9, but still!!! Him always dragging Brock away from a girl. WHY???? What Brock does, what's that got to do with him??
    It was worse with Misty dragging Brock away. At least with Max he's a kid so he doesn't understand relationships between people yet as older teens would, so it makes sense. Misty on the other hand had nothing to do with Brocks love life and the like, so she was much more off base than Max.

This was an excellent episode. How could you ask for more. Abilities finally make it ont he scene with Pikachu's Static and Grovyle's Overgrow. The battling was top notch and leads us into an almost superb streak of gym battles (save Golden Pikachu).

Then there was Team Rocket which sucked big time. True they were finally doing there job and making a base in Hoenn. However, Jessie just couldn't leave the Dugtrio alone could she? It has got to be one of their worst episodes.

9 out of 10. TR sucked but other than that, one of the best episodes of Advanced yet.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

I kinda thought this episode was a bit lackluster... considering how much hype you got from this particular gym leader (Norman-maina, the difficulty in the game... etc)

the music was "meh" (the word that should be used for filler battles rather then gym battles) the music was a part of the reason why I wasn't fond of this gym battle... :\

hopefully the next gym battles are hellava lot better then this one :\
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

One liner of the week

James: Team Rocket does not outsource.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Ah, another gym battle.

The animation for this could have been much better. Esspecially since I was expecting this to be a very interesting episode.

Something about Slakoth's voice was very interesting to me. It was perfect for it, slow yet cunning. Actually, it kind of reminded me of someone's voice...like a decieving snake's voice, or something...

Kind of strange that Slaking didn't "loaf around" or something at all in this episode. I guess it got all of its laziness out last episode, right before it sent Team Rocket flying.

The part with Max being in denial about Norman losing was a nice touch to put at the end, to me. I'm not sure why so many people don't like Max for doing that. Even though I wasn't expecting it, Norman was his idol, so it was understandable that he at first couldn't accept his father's loss.

This episode was okay, but not quite high enough for gym battle standards. I'll have to give it a 7/10. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Pokemon Master
    Something about Slakoth's voice was very interesting to me. It was perfect for it, slow yet cunning. Actually, it kind of reminded me of someone's voice...like a decieving snake's voice, or something...
    Now that you mention it...sounds like the snake from the The Jungle Book cartoon from Disney.

I don't know what it was about this episode...or the fact that I viewed the pictures of it before hand...or read the review, but seeing it didn't do much for me.

I dunno, I tend to base my views of the gym battles against Ash's battle against Clair in "Better Eight Than Never." As of now, its my favorite gym battle that has aired in America. Seeing it didn't measure up.

Oh well, it was much better than Wattson and Roxanne and even Brawly (sorry Phantom Bugsy). I'd say its tied with Flannery's battle right now for me. Let's hope Winona is better on screen (TV) than paper.
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

???

Episode name: Balance of Power (an actually okay title for once )

Animation: Not the best but well done in a few scenes.

Things of note:

TR spend the whole episode attempting to build an underground secret base. However, since they worked so hard to get money for materials they don't want to work any more and end up spending much of their time arguing over who should work. Everything's ruined when Jesse makes the mistake of kicking a rock at a Dugtrio and the incredibly irritable arcade-game pokemon proceeds to chase them in circles. :-?

Still, James gets a funny line:

James: "Team Rocket is against outsourcing!"

Slakoth, the Matrix Pokemon, runs rings around poor Pikachu without ever actually moving from it's original place.

It seems that in the anime the laziness trait of Slaking, which causes it to skip turns in the game, is actually a benefit in the anime, as it makes it absorb attacks easier, and a good pummelling gets it warmed up to fight more powerfully.

It may be odd but at least it's consistent, as Norman's Vigoroth, despite being incredibly strong, seems to have physical attacks that consist only of an uber Scratch attack (i.e Scratch was the only move it used in its previous vs. Pikachu battle).

Ash has Pikachu take the tactic of letting Vigoroth hit it so it can hang onto and paralyze the hyper sloth using the impact as a stimulant. Nice reflection to the games, though in the anime it appears to be a matter of skill to pull off the Static ability, rather than the 30% success rate of the games (in the anime it seems the pokemon has to be strong enough to take the attack, stay conscious, then allow its internal electricity to flow into the body of the attacker).

Grovyle show's his Charizard-like potential quite well in this episode. Although its attacks did little to Slaking early on, it almost felt like watching a Charizard battle once Overgrow activated. Grovyle of course has a flair for the dramatic, flinching after the classic "final strike" scene to make Slaking think it is about to fall unconscious, only for the huge ape/sloth-thing to realize its internal organs have been eviscerated and to take a needed dirtnap. ^_^

"Overgrow" Grovyle was IMO the coolest part of the episode. The green aura looked great, and its voice even seemed to improve, becoming more "dangerous" sounding. Plus his Leaf Blades doubled in size, reaching Darth Maul lightsaber proportions, which looked VERY cool as he raced at Slaking while Slaking rushed him with Focus Punch. ^_^

Max and May switch maturity levels, as Max reveals in some ways he is just a little kid who thinks his dad is invincible. He actually takes Ash's badge, runs off and locks himself in the greenhouse. Makes you realize, for better or worse, why Norman never let Max (or May) watch the gym battles before. :-( Ash for his part shows amazing maturity, not getting upset and even telling Max he can keep the badge, though I would assume he was thinking Norman would give him another as does technically NEED the badge for the league. Or it was just an attempt at sympathy and reverse psychology, whatever it all worked out. :-)

So, not the best by far but a pretty good battle episode, I just wish the animation had been more detailed and fluid in a couple of scenes (really, Grovyle's movements were pretty poorly done until Overgrow activated) and maybe that Torkoal wasn't knocked out in one blow (though I guess they just wanted to show again how powerful Vigoroth was and have Torkoal be tired from its beam war with Slakoth).

<><><>

P.S. Judging by how well Max took it one wonders if the people of North Petalburg will mourn for forty days and nights or commit mass suicide when they find out that Norman not only lost but that it wasn't their beloved Pikachu that ultimately won but rather the Grovyle owned by the trainer they had the nerve to call a "novice." And a part of me wants to believe they did have a frightful reaction. ^_^

Wing Guest

Beh. Dissapointment abound.

Contrary to what a lot of people seem to be saying, I liked Max's little bits. At least it puts Max as more than an annoying little sod. Although I do agree that TR's part was totally useless. WHY do they put TR in Gym Episodes? It just slows things down.

Anyway. I suppose in itself the episode was okay, but 'okay' does not cut it in this case. This is a Gym Battle, Gym Battles are all supposed to be a notch ABOVE 'okay'. And even moreso, we've been waiting for this battle for months. There were 2 episodes building up to this one. A Gym Battle that we've been waiting for since the beginning of the Houen saga, that is the end of a 3-parter can NOT be 'okay'. It needs to be more along the lines of 'Total Awesominity'

Grargh. Pro/Cons.

The episode itself:
    Pros:
    1. Pikachu was REALLY resilient in this battle. I'm actually pretty proud of the little yellow guy. He's been getting better in terms of defnese, and not just offense and speed since Houen started. (See vs. Nosepass, and vs. Torkoal) How cool would it have been if he had stood up to Slaking, and just gone all out, but not able to get a single hit on him, before getting pwnzed by Slaking? (Sorta like His battle with Zippo in the Kanto League, and Bayleef's battle with Blaziken.)

2. Torkoal wiped out Slakoth in one hit. :3 for Torkoal.

3. Grovyle useing Overgrow was an awesome bit.

4. Once again, Max's little bit at the end. I liked it.

Cons:
    1. TR. So useless.

2. Torkoal got OHKOed by a SCRATCH? My god, there are so many things wrong with that. I don't care how high Vigiroth's attack is, but you cannot OHKO a Torkoal with a Scratch attack. I know Torkoal needed to come in and be axed quick for plot-related reasons, but my god, could you at least let him keep his dignity and use Slash? >:/

3. I didn't get the part where Grovyle was jumping around. Seriously, I didn't. It looked like someone just threw it in on a whim.

4. The animation in general was lackluster, in my opinion.

5. A Slakoth with Shadow Ball, Hidden Power, and Blizzard? Ohkay buddy, good luck with that. O_o;

Dub:
    Pros:
    Decently dubbed I guess, but nothing really stands out. 'Cept mayvbe Max's line about the Elite 4, and James's Outsourcing Line.

Cons:
    What is 4Kids problem with Abilities? For gods sake, they totally dodged Slakoth using Truant, and they buthcered Pikachu using static. At least they mostly kept Overgrow intact. :/

All in all rating:
    6.7. Okay for a Johto or Kanto filler, but NOT sufficent for a Houen Gym Battle that has this much buildup. I'm dissapointed. I just hope the battle with Winona is better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Fan
    So, not the best by far but a pretty good battle episode, I just wish the animation had been more detailed and fluid in a couple of scenes (really, Grovyle's movements were pretty poorly done until Overgrow activated) and maybe that Torkoal wasn't knocked out in one blow (though I guess they just wanted to show again how powerful Vigoroth was and have Torkoal be tired from its beam war with Slakoth).
    I was thinking that it was strange that Torkoal was taken out with one Scratch, considering its incredible defense.

Edit: Wing just said the same thing basically, in the post previous to this one.

Wing also likes that part at the end with Max, even though many didn't. I mentioned liking it too, it was definately (sp?) character development. All his praise of his father was just leading up to his breakdown, and he learned something from it.
    Last edited by Kamex; 20th March 2005 at 2:24 AM.

this is the 3rd episode I can think of where they took abilities into account. It was awesome when Grovyle used Leaf Blade with Overgrow in effect. I think this is one of the best Gym battles
    Best Gym Battles:
    Blaine
    Norman
    Falkner
    Jasmine
    Clair
    Flannery
    Brawly

about Coatoise being offed with a single Scratch attack, from the looks of things, Yarukimono aimed its attack at Coatoise's belly (something of a weak spot considering the shell there isn't near as thick as the one on its back). In the still-shot of Yarukimono attacking Coatoise, Yarukimono's claw is a bit underneath the turtle while it flies into the air. So Yarukimono most likely accomplished what it did by going for the weak spot.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

I wish they had kept the abilities intact!

Anyone notice that in the original, Takeshi talks about Namakero storing up energy with its Truant ability, and then when it evolves to Yarukimono, all the energy is released.

However, in the dub, Brock compliments on Norman's strategy of using the slow Slakoth first, followed by the fast Vigoroth. Any idea why they changed this?

Meh, one of the lesser dubbed episodes. They botched many of the good lines in the Japanese, which is probably why most people are dissapointed.

Cheers!
    ~Bulby
    I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.

^This is my new fanfic. It's a work in progress, so please read and comment at your discretion. I hope you like it. I think you will.

Many, many thanks to Mew, who created this exceptional banner!

Harry Potter and How I Met Your Mother are currently my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulba the Great!
    Meh, one of the lesser dubbed episodes. They botched many of the good lines in the Japanese, which is probably why most people are dissapointed.
    People are disappointed with the animation, the hype surrounding this battle, and Team Rocket's antics. The only reason to get mad from dub lines is caused from their lack of mentioning Truant, but that's stupid.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

Ash: Grovyle, we did it!

Grovyle: Grovyle.

(Translation) Grovyle: Of course.

He's got style.
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

???

Geki Guest

This was possibly the best gym battle throughout all of Hoenn in America so far, I loved it. The battle between Ash's Grovyle and Slaking wasn't as great as I thought it would be, but it was still good. I can't believe Ash already has 5 Hoenn badges so far, I can remember when Ash only had like 1.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast