Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cruisin' for a Losin' (354)

Another May contest with filler characters....

well it was a good episode and may deserved what she got but poor bulbasaur

also i liked savannah and sandra

Ash was so tolerant of May. I'm a bit suprised he didn't say something like:
    Ash: I ******* told you, *****! **** **** *** ****!
    You know, people aren't kidding when they say May is turning into an Ash clone...
    It's nice that he went to cheer her up, though.
    Possibly the dumbest thing I said in 2009: "Why do shows always reference McDonalds, like saying something about a Happy Meal? You never hear them reference Burger King! You never hear them say, "And they went down on him like a fat kid on a Big Mac!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse GS the II View Post
    Whoo boy, was May a ***** this week or what? But it offered a new angle on the whole contest thing - her desire to prove that she's better than Drew inflates her head to the point where she thinks she's better than everyone, and she tanks as a result. That's good writing.
    I quite agree. Everyone needs to get knocked down a few pegs now and then, and what better time than during a contest?

Poor Bulbasaur! She was obviously very nervous, and that got the better of her. Ash was really nice to talk with May after, and seeing some Drew fangirls was pretty funny

Good episode.
    lord freeza i really need to use the space skype

It was some nice character development. I'm glad she did badly. She wasn't acting very nice.

What you love of mine is always yours.
    Animated by me.
    Wife ~ Daughter ~ Pair ~ Twin ~ Claim

lairon is one of my favorite pokemon liked watching this episode.

It was a nice episode Masqurain is my fave Pokemon
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

Mmm, too bad that May lost.

And Poor Bulbasaur, it was still weak.

Lairon was very strong, i loved his moves, like Metal Sound.

8/10
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

Too by honest, I was surprised an old gal like the COTD in this arc was seen competing against young trainers in a Pokemon Contest. She was like the opposite of Jeremy from Kanto.

Anyway, it was cool to see May so confident in her victory. I was a tad upset that she lost the chance to get her third Hoenn ribbon that old gals Lairon. Then again, she used her newly caught Bulbasaur. It lacked training to begin with.

May wasn't smart, she should have used someone with more experience this time aound. 6/10

I'm a little late in seeing this episode but May ticked me off here, yah she grew as a person blah blah blah. But her yelling at Ash for no reason, kept wanting Ash to yell back but no, for once he had to go and be mature >>
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Yeah I know that most of these posts are more than year ago, but I find it puzzling that Ash's behavior in Brave the Wave isn't heavily critiqued (some posts certainly did so, but not as much as here), while May's behavior is touched upon quite a bit more. I mean Ash is the more experienced and more well mannered than he was in the Kanto days, yet he lets Treekco battle to the point where he's seriously wounded (not to mention telling Brock to shut up).

Not that I'm complaining about it, but I think that someone who's still growing as a trainer/coordinator should be allowed some immature moments as well.

May was way too cocky and pushed Bulbasaur way too hard in this episode, I'm glad the contest judges said something.

But overall, I liked this episode, just not May's attitude.

This episode was good. May shouldn't have used Bulbasaur. May was very arrogant in this episode, especially to Ash. She was arguing that Coordinators were superior to Trainers, when really they're both equally great. Bulbasaur was definitely very shy for her 1st contest. She got stage fright. May really deserved the talking to by the judges for her bad attitude during the contest. Ash really showed he cared by talking to May afterwards about what happened and the judgement errors she made.

60/100

Quote Originally Posted by Antiyonder View Post
    Yeah I know that most of these posts are more than year ago, but I find it puzzling that Ash's behavior in Brave the Wave isn't heavily critiqued (some posts certainly did so, but not as much as here), while May's behavior is touched upon quite a bit more.
    I know I'm replying late but Ash was very heavily critiqued in Brave the Wave, Mandrine Island and with alot of other episodes too. He's just a kid. But everyone makes mistakes. Yes, even girls.

My ideal battle ever!

Savannah would've been a character I would've liked to see again. Actually, I don't remember if we do but I doubt it. Drew wasn't such a total *** in this episode so that's good for him I suppose and Savannah wasn't a totally useless coordinator.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Savannah was really nice in this episode and I cheered in some cases more for her than for May - that seemingly had a total different kind of personality than before. The battles were great too and I thought it was really good to see May losing again - this gave her even more character development and experience.

And was it me, or where those cheerleading moms quite reminiscent of Gary's Cheerleaders squad.

I might get shunned by a good number of people on this site, but... I really don't like this episode. Why?

1. May didn't go through character development (until the end at least), she went through character DERAILMENT. It eerily looked similar to how Ash behaved in Brave The Wave, except much worse, and at least it made more sense in Brave The Wave because Brawly was a tough Gym Leader. Also, when I said "character derailment", I was referring to when May yelled at Ash only because he was trying to help.

2. The battle. As Brock pointed out, because of May's derailment, Bulbasaur gets understandably nervous, and does May care in the slightest? NO! Because of May's derailment, Bulbasaur can't fight, and for some reason gets paralyzed by Shock Wave, which DOES NOT cause paralysis! And when May loses, 2 more characters get derailed: Contesta and Sukizo. All 3 judges are WAY too hard on her and accuse her of being an abusive trainer, but at least Nurse Joy had the right. Contesta and Sukizo have no excuse because they've seen May perform before! Also, it made her cry (I would, too...). At least Ash was kind enough to help her understand.

3. Team Rocket. I would be much more interested in the subplot where Team Rocket sells these giant ribbons than what we got. Good old-fashioned TR comedy without having them being annoying sometimes.

The reason I'm posting about this episode is because due to the inspiration from Mr. Enter's Animated Atrocities, I made my own with this episode:
    http://emiohki.deviantart.com/art/An...osin-476036940

I'm not going to be surprised if anyone disagrees because they are opinions after all.
    Last edited by Nekagi; 17th August 2014 at 12:11 AM.
    Sinnoh Team

Unova Team

Kalos Team

It's not every day that an episodes title speaks so loudly about what happened in the episode.
    With the way May was acting, she was literally crusin' for a losin'
    Alpha Sapphire planned team

Claimed by me!

Savannah's Flareon's Swift and Ember appeal was amazing in my opinion, but I wasn't impressed by Drew's appeal; Roselia's Petal Dance was just so cliche at that point. Drew's Masquerain was really impressive against Savannah's Lairon in my view and I cackled at Jessie forcing Meowth and James to make those giant ribbons; it was hilarious.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123