Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: That's Just Swellow! (356)

What DOES Swellow sound like, anyway? (is thankful that she doesn't have to put up with Taillow's parrot voice any more...)

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingRuby
    What DOES Swellow sound like, anyway? (is thankful that she doesn't have to put up with Taillow's parrot voice any more...)
    Sounds pretty much exactly the same as Taillow. Imagine Taillow's voice saying "Swellow" instead, and that's what Swellow sounds like.

Well then...

-This episode was okay! I do like Swellow though
    -I LMFAO when Meowth said "What's second prize getting kicked in ths shin?" (or something like that)
    -And I do agree...James should have won! I'm sorry to say it but he should have!!! And I think he handles Dustox a hell of a lot better than Jessie.

DENTO-FRUIT
    100% fruit for 100% real fangirls

I loved this episode, but Swellow's dub voice saddens me. I miss its powerful, manly, gruff middle-aged japanese man sounding voice XD. This episode is awesome simply because we see Taillow kick some butt one last time and see James have one of his super power moments.

Miss Mudkip Guest

yea the episode did start early that i didn't get 2 see the beginning...i changed the channel and itz the theme song at 9:59 and i'm like what?

So basically Swellow sounds more like a low pitched parrot...

::sigh:: When will they ever learn to make good dub voices?

Don't get me wrong, they've made some good ones, but these recent ones are just...blah.

Is it the same voice as Vitos swellow from the winstrate episode?

Quote Originally Posted by Cybercubed
    Sounds pretty much exactly the same as Taillow. Imagine Taillow's voice saying "Swellow" instead, and that's what Swellow sounds like.
    ...how crap. Excuse the bluntness.

Brocksketchum Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cybercubed
    I noticed that too, I guess 4kids did that for lip sync reasons. Perhaps they didn't have time for Ash to say "Attack" afterwards, so they just had him say use "Wing".
    My reaction to "Wing" was the same reaction the champion had when he lost against Ash.

Did anybody enjoy James' many expressions today? I certainly did!

Darn Kids WB for starting too early! But that doesn't take away the enjoyment of the episode, does it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyndaquil
    Is it the same voice as Vitos swellow from the winstrate episode?
    It seems 99.99999% similar to me. Everybody else may have the answer.
    Last edited by Brocksketchum; 28th May 2005 at 6:43 PM.

I liked this episode.

-The only non-flying types were Volbeat and Dustox
    -If this were Johto, Brock would be competing with his Crobat
    -I liked Swellow's dub voice
    -James and Dustox got a pretty good role.
    -That guy with the Swablu. His hair scared me.
    -Did anybody else notice the Golbat in the net when they were in the hut? Its skin and eyes were miscolored. It looked like a wierd Golbat-Crobat mutant.

The good:
    -Entertaining episode
    -James always deserves more screentime
    -I like Swellow
    -James standing up to Meowth
    -Volbeat's voice (still love it!)

The bad:
    -4Kids's errors: "Wing," James saying "MY Dustox" (uh... not yours!), Swellow's voice
    -Kid with the Swablu (he was unnecessary, and his hairstyle annoyed me)
    -Taillow/Swellow's cheap win
    -Jessie and Meowth not even watching James compete (even when Jessie's beloved Dustox was there too), then ruining his exit

MayAsh1987 Guest

I liked this episode, it was nice for a competition to show up for once. Like the rest of you guys, it was weird it started early, I thought it was my VCR at first since I recorded by hand. According to my VCR and kitchen clock, it started at 8:57. I was like okay........

Then after the 2nd half and the last little part, they waste 5 minutes of commercials instead of 2 or 3 minutes.

Back to this episode, Swellow evolving was great. I liked how James was focused in the Pokeringer, and made a challenge for Ash. Shane was cool, he wasn't those other kids who brag like Sandra. (Sorry, I just hate her!)

James called May by her name, nice surprise. Also he wanted to win fair and square. I laughed at the part when he threw the flag at Meowth.

Meowth and Jessie recited the motto.

Also I noticed the "wing" mistake. I noticed on the captions before Ash said it.

Overall I give 7.3 out of 10. What I liked the most was the whole Pokeringer idea.

This episode was...ok. I usually don't think highly of filler eps, but this one was funny and enjoyable.
    Swellows voice at first, kind of sounded like Grovyl...but that was my only problem. I liked the idea of the episode. I can't believe May lost so easy, even though I felt it coming. ^^;
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

This episode was pretty cool! I liked seeing all of the trainers' flying pokemon. Volbeat was cheap though, how it used Thunder to knock out the other opponents. Good thing that guy lost.

Apparently Swellow has to sound like Taillow. Wonderful how 4Kids seems to not realize that Oosubame's deep voice was supposed to symbolize that a small bird grew up into a bigger bird, like child to adult. :| If anyone wants a voice sample of Oosubame to compare to Swellow, lemme know.

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Quote Originally Posted by Brinstar
    I miss its powerful, manly, gruff middle-aged japanese pedophile sounding voice XD.
    Fixed.

Also, this is NOT the old Swellow's voice. Well, if it's the same person, the sound is different and much better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    Apparently Swellow has to sound like Taillow. Wonderful how 4Kids seems to not realize that Oosubame's deep voice was supposed to symbolize that a small bird grew up into a bigger bird, like child to adult. :| If anyone wants a voice sample of Oosubame to compare to Swellow, lemme know.
    Oh Shut up. It deepened. It still sounded like a bird. What more do you want?

For a guy who has a big problem with the way the English Ludicolo sounds, you seem to adore the equally as gruff Japanese Swellow voice.
    Last edited by V Faction; 28th May 2005 at 8:14 PM.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

Great Episode.

• James being a challenge
    • Seeing more of James slightly vague past
    • Swellow
    • Tournement style competition
    • James expressions

Aside from Swellow, James was the star of this episode. Maybe it's the outfit O_o;.

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon Prince
    -Did anybody else notice the Golbat in the net when they were in the hut? Its skin and eyes were miscolored. It looked like a wierd Golbat-Crobat mutant.
    You mean this? I call 'em Grobat

No, I havent seen the episode yet [Fan with a Plan aired today in Canada].

About Swellow's Voice, as long as it doesn't sound like Vito's, I'm fine. Hell, even if it does sound like Vito's, it sure is a big improvement from it's machoman-esque low Japanese Voice *shudders*

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon Prince
    -The only non-flying types were Volbeat and Dustox
    In the original, one of the pictures (I think in the series of past champs) was of a trainer and his Heracross. I'm not sure if it showed up in the dub or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaiiest.Combusken
    About Swellow's Voice, as long as it doesn't sound like Vito's, I'm fine. Hell, even if it does sound like Vito's, it sure is a big improvement from it's machoman-esque low Japanese Voice *shudders*
    Swellow's Japanese voice is badass, how can you not like it? And no, it definitely does not sound exactly like Vito's. Vito's was higher-pitched...maybe that means that his is female?
    Last edited by Geodude; 28th May 2005 at 8:38 PM.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaiiest.Combusken

You mean this? I call 'em Grobat
    Heh. You get the "Made V Chuckle" Award.

And for any person wonering about the TC, it asked what Pokemon evolved into Swampert. Clearly, the answer was Marshtomp.

I see they were playing it safe this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude
    In the original, one of the pictures (I think in the series of past champs) was of a trainer and his Heracross. I'm not sure if it showed up in the dub or not.
    I'm pretty sure it was there. They also had Beedrill on one of the pictures too.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

This episode was really cool! I loved the Pokeringer competition, it's really creative! (If I was there, I would have entered with my Flygon or my Pelliper) Yay, Taillow evolved! Swellow's voice isn't that bad, but it could have been better. And the Swablu guy did have weird hair. It looked like those feathers on Swablu's head. But then again, there are a lot of anime people with weird hair.

This lovely banner was made by Faerie.
    My Devaintart gallery
    Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have
    trouble remembering how to fly
    Oh, and I claimed Sora from the Kingdom Hearts games in the bishie thread. ^^

Shadlone Guest

Great ep.

Lotsa James action made it so.

Thumbs up

I just came from watching this episode, and I have to tell you, the high still hasn't come down. Even though James didn't win, the fact that he did so many great tricks, strategies, and attacks, even with a pokemon he doesn't even own (just like with venosaur in "One Trick Phony"), was more than enough for me to enjoy this episode. Not only that, it was great to finally hear him call a twerp by name (I just about fell out of my seat when he said "May"). It was also interesting to see Meowth do James's lines in the motto for a change too. He hadn't done that since, technically, "Island of the Giant Pokemon" (he quoted the whole end of the motto).

Over and above, though, James made this episode. I love episodes where he takes charge (like "The Fortune Hunters"), and it's been great to see three episodes where he's beaten the twerps (yes, I include "Cheer Pressure"). I was definitely impressed.

10/10 for me.

EDIT: Thanks to taping the afternoon airings of Pokemon trying to get "Judgment Day", I FINALLY got to see the beginning of this episode.
    Last edited by wobbanut; 27th September 2005 at 6:14 PM.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 12/10
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: ; playing Y and OR
    To reclaim:

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction
    Heh. You get the "Made V Chuckle" Award.
    Heh...I didn't think it was funny at all. Unless you're being sarcastic...O.o

I'm pretty sure it was there. They also had Beedrill on one of the pictures too.
    Yup, there was Beedrill. The Pokemon I've counted that participated in the PokeRinger Competition are as follows:

Crobat, Skarmory, Beedrill, Volbeat, Ninjask, Swellow[Not Ash's], Golbat, Jumpluff, Grobat, Skiploom, Wingull, Hoppip, Yanma, Pelipper, Spearow, [Apparently] Heracross, and of course, Swablu, Taillow, Beautifly and Dustox.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude
    Swellow's Japanese voice is badass, how can you not like it? And no, it definitely does not sound exactly like Vito's. Vito's was higher-pitched...maybe that means that his is female?
    I just dont like it. I'm okay with Pokemon's Voices becoming lower and more adult like with evolution, but Swellow's Japanese Voice is freakishly low. Even more-so, IT'S A BIRD!!! So I just feel that it's JV is unsuitable.

Heh, I guess I should watch this one, it sounds really good. Since Kojirou is my favorite character, it's always nice to see an episode like this that gives him a large role... or Musashi and Nyasu for that matter - if you ask me, all three of them have been rather screwed-over in Houen. :P

And seeing a Heracross make any sort of appearance is always good. ^_^
    Last edited by Heracross; 28th May 2005 at 10:26 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast