Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Shroomish Skirmish! (358)

Wing Guest

...I always that the Torchic/Combusken was male. When was it ever confirmed that it was female? O_o;

Anyway, yeah they used the Same VA.

As for the episode itself, I think this one totally hit the mark. It was funny in parts, and the battle scenes were just great. Also, I hope as well that the thing with Corphish and Combusken is expounded upon more. They've done a great job developing the Pokemon themselves and not just the trainers in the Houen Arc, and I hope they continue that.

10/10 This episode was, in every sense of the word, perfect. Now to just wait for the lovely Winona to show up....^_^

MayAsh1987 Guest

Ah HELL NAH! This is one of the funniest episode I seen from the past couple months. It had everything I liked. Rivalry, comedy, drama, a fighting scene! Could go more into details. Also all the Pokemon was there, a plus and Fortress came back. Haven't seen the poor thing for months.

Torchic for once fought back. Wow! She was aggressive for just Corphish eatin' her food. Go Torchic! The fight with Corphish was funny. I liked how they kicked Mudkip and Pikachu out of the way. Aw snap, there isn't no peacemaking for today you two.

Damn, those Shoormish and Breloom gettin' mad for apples. It shows that they don't like anyone touching any of their food. It kind like in real life how animals could get aggressive over something little, like an apple.

Ash made me laugh so hard today. I liked how he wanted to fight the Breloom, not with Pokemon, but his bare hands! Shows he more aggressive then we think which I like. Damn you Brock, why couldn't you leave him alone.

But the topping of this episode was Torchic evolving and fighting Breloom. I was glad that May didn't know what new attacks Combusken had. That proves that she's still learning which is good. I love the fight between Combusken and Breloom. Fight to the end!

There more I want to add but the 4 I mentioned is the best I liked. I'm giving this for once 10/10. First one in this website I give. It have everything I liked. I would watch this episode again and again.
    Last edited by MayAsh1987; 11th June 2005 at 5:47 PM.

I liked this episode, every action packed... hehe... grand theft apple...

*mourns loss of adorable torchic*
    Last edited by PDL; 11th June 2005 at 5:59 PM.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing
    ...I always that the Torchic/Combusken was male. When was it ever confirmed that it was female? O_o;
    In the japanese version at least, it has a distinctly feminine sounding voice in both of its forms, and generally acts in a stereotypically cutesy way. So, that pretty much says it all really :/
    The Torchic/Combusken in 'Having a Wailord of a Time' was pretty gruff sounding in the original, so that was was more than likely male.

;_; @ keeping the voice though.

da episode was ok................. itz kool da way tat Combusken and Breloom fought and itz kool tat May's Torchic evolved. Although i'm gonna miss it.................

ONOMNOMNOM

Gif Credit | Amourshipping Contestshipping | Uta☆Pri fan

Play Shippers' Truth or Dare game with us!

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Flygon
    I noticed a mistake; when the pokemon were all running around, they are called into the pokeballs; then cut to team rocket, and when it came back to the gang, the pokemon were still running around.

I also noticed that when James sees the apple, Jesse leans over Wobby to get to it, and then Wobby pops up behind her. Actually, he seemed to disappear when she leaned over him. Looks like this ep is rife for the Japanese Mistakes topic.

Hey, was Trainer's Choice actually RIGHT for once? Whoo!

Corphish is such a brat. It's so great. And I love that voice. Especially when it's teasing with "Feesh, feesh, feeeeeEEEeeeeesh!"

Wow, Ash wanted to battle the Breloom himself? If he were Jesse, he could have captured one.

Swellow's voice seems to have changed to a more birdlike noise.

Wow. Brock used Forretress--the Pokemon the Writers Forgot.

So...Breloom are part Grass, and yet they only use Fighting moves against the 'feesh?

Great. The cutest pokemon ever evolves into the most hideous beast ever. And was that one of the longer evo sequences?

...and it instinctively knows how to fight, how to move with its new body, all that stuff?

Wow. TR did nothing wrong this ep and they still get punished. They're doomed to be the eternal whipping agents, aren't they? I mean really now, NOTHING WRONG AT ALL. I can see why the Shroomish would be mad, but still, that doesn't excuse it.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

I liked it, I liked the parts when Corpfish was teasing Torchic and it looked high (when the bqack ground was all psychdelic) and when Team Rocket found out what Combusken and Breloom were going to do. Great episode.
    One day... one day in the future... I will get over my hatred of Betas... when that day comes you will be able enjoy my fics in all it's glory...

Unless you hate crossovers and AUs... then your pretty much screwed...

I loved this episode! It was really funny! LMAO at the Grand Theft Apple bit. This episode was a great mix of humor and all-around coolness. I don't really hate Combusken quite as much as I used too. (I used to think it was ugly. I still kind of do.) And what do you know, the Trainer's Choice was actually right this time! I give this one a 9/10.

oOOOOO @=

This lovely banner was made by Faerie.
    My Devaintart gallery
    Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have
    trouble remembering how to fly
    Oh, and I claimed Sora from the Kingdom Hearts games in the bishie thread. ^^

Brocksketchum Guest

Goodbye Torchic and hello Combusken! Anyways...

I guess I was the only one who liked Jessie's head expanding when she was yelling at the Breloom.

But we all enjoyed Ash getting into such nonsense, don't we?

Medenia Guest

I really hate corphish, that pokemon gets on my nerves, especially when he was being greedy and stealing food from torchic.. The funniest part was The grand theft apple, and any parts that involve food.

I hate that May's Combusken has the same voice from 'Having A Wailord of A Time'; it should've at least sounded female(but I noticed it got a bit higher during the DBZ-like battle with Breloom). But the animé earns points for drawing Combusken well...I thought it looked kinda cute compared to the ugliness that was the R/S sprite.^_^

Trainer's Choice was well done--If I remember correctly, Venomoth has 4 times resistance to Grass attacks, of which Sunflora has nothing BUT(save the occasional Synthesis and Sunny Day). Even though Sunflora has pretty good Special Attack, it sucks in the other areas(especially Speed). With some well placed Psychic attacks, Venomoth would defeat Sunflora in a few rounds.

The group 'splitting up' was nice. I'm pleased they remembered Mudkip's little radar; I've always thought it was neat. Though I question Ash going to fight the Breloom recklessly...doesn't he remember his past experiences with Fighting types(Primeape sure rings a bell)? TR was hilarious throughout the episode. The 'Grand Theft Apple' line was priceless.

One more thing...Pikachu shocked everyone out of stress. I always love when that happens!(Lightning: Maybe cause you do it too?) Shut up.-_-; 9.5/10.

Revolution FC: 2620-9865-4149

Quote Originally Posted by Kijuna
    I hope they build more on the Combusken/Corphish rivalry/friendship. That was the best part of the episode.
    I can't say they've actually done anything between the two after that, really. o_o;

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

th only nitpick i have about the episode is the part after Forretress caught Ash, Brock, and TR and Swellow came to get them, i could've sworn Swellow said Tailow first and then Swellow which was odd, but that's just me.

This was a pretty cool episode. The only thing that really sucked about it was that Team Rocket still got blasted off at the end. For pete's sake, apples grown in the wild are free to anyone. The shroomish could still get some more fruit anytime. It wasn't like Team Rocket would have had to pay for them. At least they didn't get chastised for finishing the stew.

On the positive side, it was great to see Torchic evolve and really kick some serious butt. I'll miss sweet little Torchic, but I'm glad to see her become a buttkicker (yes, I'm pretty convinced it's a girl). It was funny seeing her do some Torkoal-style crying (I'm surprised there weren't any comparisons, even though they have different trainers). I liked the "Forrest Grumps"- and "A Hole Lotta Trouble"- style group splitup too. Meowth with Max again was really funny.

Team Rocket had some great material too. I liked them taking a break to eat before they started up the motto again, and Wobbuffet popping out the first time lying on his back. I think this was also the first time in a long time he's ever been recalled on-screen (remember how Jessie was doing it constantly in the old days?). It was nice not having Team Rocket call out their pokemon for a fight or try stealing pokemon for a change, though I do love Cacnea.

Oh yes, and I LOVED Ash going to fight the brelooms. ROFLOL I just about died laughing when the brelooms broke apart and we see Ash ready to take them on.

Overall, 8/10.
    Last edited by wobbanut; 11th June 2005 at 9:35 PM.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 11/10 NEW!! 11/13
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

This...episode...was...great! I loved how Torchic's personality changed so much when it evolved. The TC was accurate, and I loved Breloom's voice. It fit it very well.

The only thing I have to complain about it Combusken's voice. I really hate how they have the same voice for every individual of a species. Combusken sounded the way the other one did in Having a Wailord of a time. Besides that, I still give it a 10/10. Great job! ^^
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopika
    The only thing I have to complain about it Combusken's voice. I really hate how they have the same voice for every individual of a species. Combusken sounded the way the other one did in Having a Wailord of a time.
    I don't understand why everyone is saying this. To me the voice was fairly different. Even if it was the same voice actor the voice was done a bit higher and with more emotion, all in all making it sound much better. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Pika Hikari KT
    Trainer's Choice was well done--If I remember correctly, Venomoth has 4 times resistance to Grass attacks, of which Sunflora has nothing BUT(save the occasional Synthesis and Sunny Day). Even though Sunflora has pretty good Special Attack, it sucks in the other areas(especially Speed). With some well placed Psychic attacks, Venomoth would defeat Sunflora in a few rounds.
    Not to mention Bug and Poison (its two types) are strong against the pure Grass type Sunflora.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbanut
    This was a pretty cool episode. The only thing that really sucked about it was that Team Rocket still got blasted off at the end. For pete's sake, apples grown in the wild are free to anyone. The shroomish could still get some more fruit anytime. It wasn't like Team Rocket would have had to pay for them.
    The apples may grow on trees but they aren't in infinate supply. Just like with real animals inconsistent food supplies like fruit need to be closely guarded and stored for later use. Look on any nature documentary and you'll see food is rarely easy to come by, even in lush forests. Fruit in particular is difficult to get as different trees give fruit at different times, and often the animals have to wait for the short period where they are ripe enough to eat.

Besides TR did take them right off their heads, even if the Shroomish could go pick more apples they had a right to be angry. How would you feel if you went out in the woods for a couple hours of harvesting and had the food taken from you as you headed home?

All in all, I bet TR could have gotten some food from the Shroomish if they had simply nicely asked, but hunger makes you do crazy things.

<><><>

Anyway, this was one of the most enjoyable episodes I've seen in a while. High points included:

Ash taking on a pack of Breloom with his bare hands and actually repelling them for a moment with his "eyes-closed tantrum-throwing fists of fury" attack! The look of surprise on the Breloom's faces when he erupts from under their punches is hilarious. Then there is the odd explosion of pink smoke when they renew their attack...

GREAT animation and lovely battle effects.

It seems when it comes to Iron Tail, size matters.

Breloom had a decent voice I think.

Swellow's voice sounded a whole lot better in this episode, though perhaps I am just getting used to it.

Lots of great interaction among the Pokemon and human characters.

Nicknames! "Littlest twerp" for Max, "Twerpett" for May, "the twerps" for Ash and Brock.

The twerps experience blasting off for themselves, and like TR they emerge rather unscathed, even when falling without Forretress's help. Seems to be a rule in the anime that if are blasted up to a great height and fall you won't die, but if you simply fall straight down from a great height you "might" die.

James: "Where did I leave off?"
    Meowth: "Right around 'make it double.'"

TR going into a state of ecstasy after eating the soup.

Ash: "Take thisandthisandthis!!!"

Meowth *translating* : "Nice punch." "You too." *mimics them falling over unconscious*

I liked how the Shroomish called up a bunch of Shroomish who were ready to evolve, instead of TR just happening to encounter a group of Shroomish about to evolve.

Grovyle, as usual, was awesome.

Aerial Ace Guest

I personally have disliked the Pokemon Anime since after the first season, but I saw today's episode. Had some ups and downs.

+ Ash seemed as if he was getting beat up by a bunch of Breloom....it also seemed like he thought he could take on 3 of them. Hehe.
    + Torchic evolved into teh super cool Combusken. I also thought it was a good idea the way it evolved.
    + Combusken vs. Breloom was well done.
    - I thought Breloom's voice sounded annoying...
    - It seems like whenever everyone splits up, Max always ends up with Meowth.
    - It was kind of dumb when Brock suggested that Combusken should use Fighting attacks on Breloom, or something along those lines; when it could've used some Fire attacks.

CharZard Guest

I liked the hand to hand one on one battle between Combusken and Breloom. The animation was well done.

I thought it was weird how Combusken could automatically use Sky Uppercut when it has to be at like a High Level to use that move?

Anyway, I thought it was good that Torchic finally evolved. It was such a baby before.
    It evolved for a good reason to protect Corphish...Anyway, those Breloom were stupid for attacking Ash & Co, they had nothing to do with Team Rocket.

Team Rocket should of asked the Shroomish if they could have some apples to eat and Meowth could of explained that they haven't eaten for 2 days.

I thought Brock was dumb for suggesting to May that Combusken should use a Fighting move on Breloom when Breloom is also a Grass type - he should of said use a fire move...

It was funny when Torchic & Corphish knocked Pikachu & Mudkip into a tree face first.

I think this was an overall good episode.

9/10

-Scott-

3DS: 1590 4683 0583, Wii:1455 7087 4777 5760, PSN: MidnightScott

I love the Nintendo 3DS, games owned: 17
    Japanese Flare Red 3DS GET! 1891 1352 3198

This was a great episode, with lots of long-since-needed humor.

You know that attack Combusken used, the one they called Fire Spin? Was it really that in the original Japanese version? I mean, I never got to see the spin, although it could have been because it never got that far.

It's sad that May never chose to use Torchic in a Pokemon Contest,     Spoiler:

I'll give this episode an 8/10.

Being a UK person, we're only half way through the Rubello contest right now, so I haven't seen this one yet. I'll post my opinion when I've seen it properly. But I love Corphish rivalries- Grovyle, Torchic,     Spoiler:
    , Skitty- all great episodes! It's good that we have a complete dickhead on the good guys side who is still a good guy in himself. Gotta love the little crab!
    My new Pokemon Fanfic, "The Prodigy Project" has started.

Read the prologue for the Kanto arc HERE

The first proper chapter will be posted in October, shortly after the release of XY.

Ethereal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani
    Swellow's voice seems to have changed to a more birdlike noise.
    So I WASN'T going crazy when I heard its voice this morning and went "o_O". It's voice is slightly more different than last weeks.
    Wow. Brock used Forretress--the Pokemon the Writers Forgot.
    Yeah, that brought a little smile to my face. Too bad that's the last time we'll see it. ;-;

So...Breloom are part Grass, and yet they only use Fighting moves against the 'feesh?
    It's the quickest way to get the job done.

Great. The cutest pokemon ever evolves into the most hideous beast ever. And was that one of the longer evo sequences?
    No, that title belongs to Clamperl --> Huntail....*shudder*...And yeah, that evo sequence was dragged on.

...and it instinctively knows how to fight, how to move with its new body, all that stuff?
    I didn't see you questioning how those Breloom knew how to fight and move. Plus, you said it yourself. "Instinctively"...Plus, it's a cartoon.
    I thought it was weird how Combusken could automatically use Sky Uppercut when it has to be at like a High Level to use that move?
    How many times does it have to be said that the Animé =/= Games/levels?

ANYWAYS, I thought this was a pretty good and funny ep. We got some evolutions, comedy, and whatnot. Plus, the last part with TR was hilarious. The Breloom said something to them, and J & J said, "We agree with you completely," with huge smiles on their faces. Then Meowth goes, "They said they're gonna get us for stealing their Apples."...That was hilarious. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Pokemon Master
    You know that attack Combusken used, the one they called Fire Spin? Was it really that in the original Japanese version? I mean, I never got to see the spin, although it could have been because it never got that far.
    Yes, it is indeed a Fire Spin. Though I do agree with you, the differences between both it and flamethrower don't tend to be few and far between. Sometimes it actually DOES look like a ring of spinning flames, which will be seen in later episodes.

The cutest pokemon ever evolves into the most hideous beast ever.
    .... ;__;

The cutest pokemon ever evolves into the most hideous beast ever.
    This is wrong for the pure fact that this wasn't a Feebas or Seadra episode.

10/10
    This was the best evo episode ever!
    I just feel sad that little Torchic evolved into...this AWESOME COMBUSKEN!
    He is the best thing ever concocted! Breloom had a neat voice, that being my hope answered for the M6 voice of Breloom.

We had some funny parts, it was part Attack of the Prehistoric Pokemon (the fire type evolves to save his friends), part Forest Grumps (everyone including TR get jumbled up), and part funny.

Mudkip and May were awesome, I'm suprized that the writers did not put in a tribute to the Mudkip she did not choose (have him squirt May), but this episode was just plan funny! Now we don't have another evolution episode until     Spoiler:
    , so sit back, and watch the filler's get good. I am truly excited about S8 fillers, and we start off S8 with Spoink again.

The funniest part, Corphish and Torchic, they should have made an episode with 30 minutes of non stop fighting between them! But let us clarify something, when Ash called everyone back, he forgot Swellow and Grovyle, because Swellow was ABOVE him and Grovyle was sleeping, so that explains the Pokemon running during the 2nd dodge run.
    Last edited by Kanadian Kyuubi; 12th June 2005 at 3:25 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast