Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Shroomish Skirmish! (358)

It's amazing how Grovyle did just ONE thing in the episode, but it remains as one of the coolest action in this episode. It breaking up Torchic and Corphish with leaf blade was just amazing.

Grovyle is the most badass Pokemon Ash has ever had.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Yes, it is indeed a Fire Spin. Though I do agree with you, the differences between both it and flamethrower don't tend to be few and far between. Sometimes it actually DOES look like a ring of spinning flames, which will be seen in later episodes.
    Yeah, I thought for a second that they confused Flamethrower for a Fire Spin. O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude
    Grovyle is the most badass Pokemon Ash has ever had.
    So was Primeape and Charizard. But Grovyle's the peacemaker and the punk, all at the same time. Kinda like Bulbasaur was, except evolved, lol.

phoenix12 Guest

wait..how was that a fire spin? I realize Combusken will actually use fire spin in later episodes, but this DEFINITELY looked like a flamethrower....was it considered a fire spin in the Japanese version, too?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix12
    wait..how was that a fire spin? I realize Combusken will actually use fire spin in later episodes, but this DEFINITELY looked like a flamethrower....was it considered a fire spin in the Japanese version, too?
    Again, yes, it was a Fire Spin. And yes, its what attack Haruka comanded in the original, namely 'Hono no uzu'. Haruka's Combusken doesn't even know Flamethrower.

Eh, I just downl...I mean, legitamatly watched the dubbed episode via video tape, and it was pretty decent to say the least. The ONLY problem with the episode I had was Combusken's voice, which in my opinion, was just plain awful. They pretty much destroyed the cute appealing sound Wakashamo made, and I feel that its going to effect people's opinions on the pokémon in the long run. Yay, another reason for critisize Combusken ~_~;

But I love what they've done with Corphish. I haven't seen the dub in AGES, so I haven't really heard much from the little crustacean in the english version. Definatly the best pokémon voice of the entire Houen cast. Gotta love the 'Cor feesh! Feesh!"s it was shouting at Torchic :P
    And James' "Grand Theft Apple" line made me chuckle~

I do think its a shame that any sort of friendship building between Corphish and Combusken never seems to take flight. It would have been interesting to say the least~
    Last edited by Gravy; 13th June 2005 at 1:49 AM.

Edit: Okay, I'm slow^^

I loved this episode. Despite the fact that I love almost all episodes, this one was really something special.
    Torchic vs. Corphish - great. They didn't even listen to their trainers. Something I could've expected from Corphish, but not from Torchic. It was hilarious when they were going berserk.
    Ash vs. a bunch of Brelooms - hilarious. Loved how Ash waved about with his fists.
    Corphish vs. Breloom - unfaaaair!! *cries about* *gets over it* What was that? Four against one? Five against one? Hundred against one? Poor Corphish. What a brave Pokémon though ^_^
    Combusken vs. Breloom - Nice piece of change, a battle without proper attacks. Combusken was well-drawn, had an awesome voice (well... I'll get used to the dub voice, I'm sure), and it was very strong.
    Needless to say that this is one of my favorite episodes of AG.
    Last edited by Sushi; 13th June 2005 at 2:36 AM.

Run for your lives.

tumblr - livejournal

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi
    Torchic vs. Corphish - great. They didn't even listen to their trainers. Something I could've expected from Corphish, but not from Torchic.
    AG seems to have a pattern of many Pokemon experiencing behavioral changes shortly before evolving. May's Wurmple wasn't hungry right before it evolved (if I remember right), Ash's Treeko became more aloof and distant, and Torchic became more aggressive. As May noted "what has gotten into you?" As these weren't evolutions brought about spontaneously through battle, but rather ones their bodies had been preparing for, it makes sense that their behavior would change a bit. Then all they need is a final push of some form to trigger the evolution.

And really, there is no evidence that a Pokemon wouldn't know how to effectively use its newly evolved body in battle, though it may take time to learn its full potential. Most people probably get the idea that Pokemon are sometimes awkward after evolution due to the problems Ash's Bayleef had. But Bayleef knew perfectly well how to use its new powers in battle, it just didn't know its own strength in calm, social interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix12
    wait..how was that a fire spin? I realize Combusken will actually use fire spin in later episodes, but this DEFINITELY looked like a flamethrower....
    That's because Fire Spin is an attack that can be used in different ways.The tornado of flame is one, but when first released it looks like a Flamethrower consisting of successive rings (much like how Hydro Pump has come to be seperated from Water Gun), and the Pokemon can keep it in that Flamethrower-form if desired. Also, the Fire Spin Combusken used here was never completed, as Breloom was able to use the shockwave from its Mach Punch to disrupt the flames. This was also likely why Brock recommended May try a Fighting type attack, since hand-to-hand combat is what Combusken is best at and the Breloom seemed to be able to deal with Fire attacks.

Its easy to tell the difference between Flamethrower and Fire Spin if one sees them side by side, but that won't happen in the anime for a while yet AFAIK.

WindyNight Guest

YTV just aired this episode today at noon...
    It's a great epiosde, IMO...I love the beginning when Corphish ate all Torchic's food...lol
    And it was so sweet that Corphish was protecting Torchic when they got attacked by the Breloom..
    Of course, Torchic's personality changed a lot when it evolved into the Combusken..
    Overall, I give a rating 8/10 for the episode....^^

Togechic Guest

I really wish they didn't evolve Torchic into Combusken. The latter's fine, but I predict it won't be half as fun as the original. Why not evolve Skitty instead?

On the other hand, any Corphish-centric episode scores extra points with me.

I loved combusken v Breloom! the way pokemon should always fight! with no crapy confusing moves! just bare fists. and legs!

100/10
    Your banner was too big, so it was removed. This is your 5th strike, so your entire signature was removed, you were banned for 3 weeks, and will lose signature privileges shortly. Do not edit your signature anymore. Please remember to read the signature rules and get your signature checked if you need help.

Factory Head Noland Guest

This episode was just awesome! Probably one of the best. I love Combusken ^_^ it's so cool.

The battle between Combusken and Breloom was good when they didn't use any attacks and it was nice that it ended on a good note were they commented on eachother's battle skills.

I loved it when Torchic and Torkoal were fighting in the forest, Torchic using Ember, Corphish using Bubblebeam and when everyone returned their Pokemon, except for lil Mudkip ^___^
    We actually saw it do something in this episode! I will treasure the Mudkip experience forever...

What was with the pronunciation of Mach Punch? I'm sure it was said wrong, they pronounced it "Mac Punch", should it not be said as Mach Punch?

Overall 9.5/10
    Excellent episode, Combusken!

EDIT:

Here is another version of Fire Spin:

[img135]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/Petalburg/Combusken1.jpg[/img135]
    Last edited by ~Bayleef~; 10th July 2005 at 8:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Bayleef~
    What was with the pronunciation of Mach Punch? I'm sure it was said wrong, they pronounced it "Mac Punch", should it not be said as Mach Punch?
    Yep I heard that too. Max and Meowth defenetly said "Mac Punch" when I thought it was "Mach Punch"

Anways Fortress and Mudkip got sometime and Mudkip used its head fin rador for the first time ever, which seems good. Some Torkoal time I saw packed in there ^^ And Grovlye was good when it cut a a thing in the ground. Good as Torchich's last epsiode, it was sooooo cute. Combuskens new voice is great I hated its slateport one.

Breeloom vs Combusken rocked with just the plain fighting and no fire attacks minus Fire Spin. The animation for Sky Uppercuut rocked. With its glowing claw. But they shrunk Swellow again in its firs episode Swellow was big and strong now its strong btu smaller ever since the Shuppet episode. I hope gets bigger soon again.

10/10 Good episode.

It's made me respect Corphish alot more anyway! I loved him from the offset, but not only is it so stubborn and selfish that it goes off in a hissy fit when it's in the wrong, but it stuck up for Torchic and was trying to protect it. I thought it was a pretty sweet tackle when it cleared two Breloom out of the way.

Plus, Brock's guys finally did something useful with the radar/rapid spin bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu
    Yep I heard that too. Max and Meowth defenetly said "Mac Punch" when I thought it was "Mach Punch"
    I just rechecked. What's the problem? Max said Mach Punch perfectly. You guys do know that Mach sounds like "Mahk" and not "match" or anything like that, right?
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction
    I just rechecked. What's the problem? Max said Mach Punch perfectly. You guys do know that Mach sounds like "Mahk" and not "match" or anything like that, right?
    I know. o_o Haven't you people ever seen those MACH 3 FROM GILETTE adverts? >_>;

Robert Guest

I liked this episode. There was a number of funny lines... I liked Max and Meowth's role in the episode. I also liked it when TR called May the "twerpette." The battles were splendid, as well. I'm not sure if Torchic should have been so strong when evolved, considered it wasn't the most skilled battler. Oh well, I still liked the episode.

Great episode although I didn't like Torchic being a crybaby and Team Rocket ignoring the Shroomish when they stole the apples.

I've never heard Pikachu laugh before this episode. *Kawaiiness*

-Judai

I'm pretty sure I heard somebody in TR say something like "Those apples had weaviles in them anyway". Kinda funny since now we have a Pokemon named Weavile in the US now.

I doubt they said something like that.I forgot most of the dialouge from the episode(o_0 i just saw it yesterday).Maybe she said like worms or something.

-Judai

Quote Originally Posted by Judai Yuki
    I doubt they said something like that.I forgot most of the dialouge from the episode(o_0 i just saw it yesterday).Maybe she said like worms or something.

-Judai
    Only other thing it could be is Weedle but I'm 95% sure I heard Weavile.

Nope, Jessie said "Those apples had Weedles in them!" You heard Weavile because it's pronounced the same way. (Watches fans brick PUSA for calling Sneasel's evo a confusing dub name and laughs.)

(Then visualizes a giant apple with Weaviles in it and laughs harder.)

Great episode, and I was glad Torchic evolved, but I doubt May will ever get a Blaziken, because it looks too cool for May.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION FOR SOMETHING ELSE...

I loved that Ash tried to fight the Brelooms himself.

-Judai

The epi was so cool:
    -the Breloom - Combusken fight
    -TR's motto, with their mouths filthy
    -Ash fighting the Brelooms

It was surely one of the best epis ever!

This episode was simply hilarious. I thought it was so cute when Torchic defended Corphish. It was a fine time for Torchic to evolve, and I loved Combusken's reaction to when Corpish tried to steal it's food.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast