Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sky High Gym Battle! (361)

Waveblaster Guest

They did kinda give it away but you knew he'd get it eventually.

The anime doesn't really much about game mechanics. So it't not all that weird that Grovyle was able to KO Altaria with leaf blade, or that Ash's Swellow has crazy endurance that always makes it able to survive hyper beams as if it were nothing.

I agree, please the only reason they made grovyle defeat altaria was because the writers want to make it look cool, but you know what, i am sick of treecko/grovyle's personality, i mean its so up itself, like after it evolves, corpish was all crazy and it just lied back and was a like "what a breat go me"and i can't stand it, i like treecko and grovyle in the games, but it is a real idiot in the anime

Ethereal Guest

*enters this thread late as hell*

I liked this ep a lot. The best Gym battle in a LONG WHILE. *points and laughs at Falkner*....It was action packed and VERY entertaining....Except I'm on the "WTF was up with that Grovyle vs. Altaria?" bandwagon. I found that to be..."odd". But, what REALLY gnawed at my brain was that ONE Wing Attack taking down Winona's Swellow, after it hit with Hyper Beam, Aerial Ace, Peck, and Quick Attack....Damn those cheap devices to end battles quickly. =\

And TR had a real quick part in the ep. That's pretty rare for a big battle.

And, for some reason, I found the part at the VERY end of the ep when Ash said the "Oh, yeah! I got a Featherbadge!" thing to be cool. Not Ash saying that, but when Swellow popped up from the corner and said, "Swellow" all happily and whatnot. IMO, it had a look of accomplishment on its face, and in the sound of its voice...Meh, that's just my little observation. I thought it was cool, anyway. *shrug*

9.9/10...That one Wing Attack crap chipped off .1....-_-;

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but in Winona's "prayer" she actually said God. Is it me, or is God not taboo anymore in Pokemon?

This was a fairly good episode. Ash did some good moves, and it was great that Grovyle overcame type disadvantage against altaria. At least now I know why they ran "True Blue Swablu" last week, to give us a (brief) refresher course on altaria.

The thing I liked best about the episode, though, was Jessie and James's disco dancing sequence. ROFLMAO about that one. And I got to see Chimecho again! Yay!

Overall, 8/10.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) NEW!! 10/11 NEW!! 10/14
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

You are going to see Chimecho again alot, the little guy's part of the motto now!

Chim Chim!

Thats so cute!!!!!!But the Swellow epi was real good,Best one in a while
    wow this place really dropped off in activity huh.

Absol5435 Guest

I'm glad to see that there are people that actually enjoyed the episode, Unlike these people.

I have this on my parents' TIVO. I love watching it. It was a truly great battle. To me, it rival's Clair's battle.

Monster Guest

It was a great battle, the best one in a long time. All I have to say is that all of Ash's Pokemon were great, but Grovyle was the most amazing, it took down a flying type. But the best battle scene was when Swellow used Wing Attack to make the sand blind Winona's Swellow. Awesome scene, I kept rewatching it.

*sigh* People fail to realize what goes on in Gym Battles and pitch a fit over things. Thank you for explaining the Juptile vs Tyltalis match, Gravy.

As for Ohsubame vs Ohsubame, I don't see how any of you couldn't get this one. Hyper Beam is a powerful move, yes? And in the game it requires time to recharge (aka rest up). You'd figure that a small bird that firing a BIG blast of energy would be worn out somewhat by using the attack repeatedly, no? Especially considering it's taking up quite a bit of energy to keep firing them. Not to mention, Satoshi's kicked up a cloud of dirt to conceal itself and catch Nagi's Ohsubame off guard, smashing it while it was at a disadvantage.

And to those complaining about KidsWB giving away the ending, please. The episode's been out in Japan for almost a year and you couldn't have guessed that Satoshi was going to win either way? Especially with all the Houen League titles over at site? :| It was going to obviously happen.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

About the Altaria and Grovyle battle, since the various posts addressing it (very well I might add) seem to be being ignored by subsequent posters, I'm going to say this as succinctly as I know how.

It's the same as how Charizard could ko practically anything with a successful Seismic Toss. You get something to crash into the ground at high speed from a great height and not much will stand up to it regardless of the element type of the attack that was used. Heck a String Shot could do it if the user could swing a pokemon stuck on it down hard enough. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Jynxie
    I liked this ep a lot. The best Gym battle in a LONG WHILE. *points and laughs at Falkner*....It was action packed and VERY entertaining....Except I'm on the "WTF was up with that Grovyle vs. Altaria?" bandwagon. I found that to be..."odd". But, what REALLY gnawed at my brain was that ONE Wing Attack taking down Winona's Swellow, after it hit with Hyper Beam, Aerial Ace, Peck, and Quick Attack....Damn those cheap devices to end battles quickly. =\
    Allow me to help quell your confusion. This is how I see it:

1. Winona's Swellow previously got a HUGE slash across the chest from Grovyle. And though it didn't work too well it also got hit earlier by a Wing Attack.
    2. It had likely been drained considerably from using so many attacks. Especially the Hyper Beams (only one of which hit). Remember that episode with the Mareep where Ash had Pikachu keep avoiding attacks until the Mareep simply collapsed on its own?
    3. Ash's Swellow in particular is known for its extreme endurance.
    4. Ever wonder why head-on collissions are so disasterous with cars? You have two objects going toward each other instead of one going toward another, hence the energy in the impact is much greater. Ash's Swellow went up while Winona's went down. However, Ash's knew to brace for the attack whereas Winona's was caught off guard and hit right in the chest. Being able to brace for an impact alone can greatly alter how much damage one takes in a fight.

And, for some reason, I found the part at the VERY end of the ep when Ash said the "Oh, yeah! I got a Featherbadge!" thing to be cool. Not Ash saying that, but when Swellow popped up from the corner and said, "Swellow" all happily and whatnot. IMO, it had a look of accomplishment on its face, and in the sound of its voice...Meh, that's just my little observation. I thought it was cool, anyway. *shrug*
    And it WINKED! ^_^

Omg...this epsiode was soo great!! I remember watching the Japanese version(which is totally awesome). I was waiting for this one. Great Animation and a awesome battle. Ash did a awesome job for real. I loved it when he made Swellow did Wing Attack on the ground. So great. Great Stragey. =O And Winona was great. Plus as always Team Rocket was funny. Got shocked...I was laughing. And Grovyle...WOW...totally awesome. I will give this 10/10. I wish I can give it a 20/10. XD!
    goodbye~

I really enjoyed this gymbattle. Ash's Swellow finally came through alot. Boy, Ash's friends are so unsupportive. Brock should know how Ash battles after being with him all this time and when the gym battle came to be he acted like he didn't know what he was doing.

My ideal battle ever!

Anyone else think that Ash looked a lot madder than he sounded....
    In the raw Satoshi's anger matches better with the scenes than Ash did in the dub IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Toto
    Anyone else think that Ash looked a lot madder than he sounded....
    In the raw Satoshi's anger matches better with the scenes than Ash did in the dub IMO
    Nah, I don't. But then, I wouldn't be looking for detail like that.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

WindyNight Guest

YTV aired that episode today at noon...
    It was a pretty cool gym battle, IMO...
    I actually wanted Winona to win since I think she was a great flying type trainer, but the writer made Ash won..How many times did Ash actually lose to a gym battle so far? *counts* Only one time in the Dewford Gym...Geezz, the writer should make him lose a few times!!! Oh well...I am pretty impressed by Winona Swellow's Aerial Ace attack..It was cool! ^^
    Overall, I give a rating 7.5/10 for the episode!

Quote Originally Posted by WindyNight
    How many times did Ash actually lose to a gym battle so far? *counts* Only one time in the Dewford Gym...Geezz, the writer should make him lose a few times!!!
    well, there's Brock, Lt. Surge, Sabrina, Whitney, Norman, Brawly and that's it..I think

You don't want to know. Trust me. =P

Current PASBL stats: 12-5-0, 25 KO's, 73 TP. LVL 2 Trainer. B ref (Not reffing at the moment)

"I really f***ing hate you both" -Mozz (In memory of his awesomeness)

JoHn_C Guest

Wow I really liked how Ash figured it out. and the Aerial Ace was an awesome move.

5/10 nice animation, nice music, ok battle. but its so ovious(sp?) that ash will win...... >.> i wanna try using grovyal(sp?) against altaria in emerald! =)
    [IMG]http://i15.*******.com/2qlg3v8.jpg[/IMG]

this was a totally awsome gym battle and i am happy ash won

10/10
    IM BACK Everyone <3
    SPPF's NO 1 Ash ketchum Lover Forever <3 |Ash is My Bishie <3 * Holds Tight And Huggles
    [IMG]http://i44.*******.com/j9xzk4.jpg[/IMG]
    Soul Mate - Shikamaru | Banner - Katsu | Erica ~Still a Mudkip + Sceptile Lover
    The Mudkip | Torchic | Treecko Fan club | Ash Doll | Ash Club <3 | Emiline Ketchum - roleplay
    Pair - Flare | Penpals : Katsu Katsuko and Endless Summer
    Em*Katsu*Rubi*Hika*Kelly*Zino*Tama = The SatoQuintruplets
    Satochu Lover Twins - Pikagirl
    Ask me for my pearl code! | Diamond Friend Code - 3823 5121 4699
    No matter where you are Ash your always gonna be mine

man Winonas Swellow looked bad losig to a wing attack whilst Ashs took a few H beams, good ep though

good battle

no stars for Swellow..................

9/10
    Your banner was too big, so it was removed. This is your 5th strike, so your entire signature was removed, you were banned for 3 weeks, and will lose signature privileges shortly. Do not edit your signature anymore. Please remember to read the signature rules and get your signature checked if you need help.

Transducer Guest

Man... Grovyle and Swellow totally owned in this battle! This is one of the best gym battle episodes ever! ^_^

I'll definetely give it a 10/10. It is superb! *thumbs up*

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast