Thread: Understanding (Bishieshipping Oneshot, rated PG)

Default Understanding (Bishieshipping Oneshot, rated PG)

Hey hey hey! Easter season and what better way than to have an Easter-ish oneshot with Bishieshipping fluff? <3333

Yeah, I ended up writing a oneshot, oh yes. 8D It ended up being quite a softer-toned oneshot compared to the crazyness in 'We All Need Fanfic Crack', but hey, ti doesn't hurt to write different styles of fanfic ;D

Author: Mel-Girl
    Title: Understanding
    Shipping/s: Bishieshipping with hints of Aerialshipping and slight mention of Senirasu and Alexandrian XD
    Rated: PG
    Summary: AU. Gen is a university freshman studying to become a psychologist. Through his will to want to help others, he notices Shinji and learns that Shinji will be lonely this Easter... Fluff and talks of understanding one another and all that ensue. XD

Yay for mellow oneshot stuff. XD

Um um um, read and review? 8D

--------

Whenever he walked into the cafe, people said that he’d give off that look of ‘stay away from me’. That was what they’d say. He’d shrug it off and not care. People would continue to say he’s antisocial.

But all I saw was a lonely teenager.

I wanted to know him. The mystery about him and those dark, lonesome eyes that I saw. This just made him, the boy I’d heard of as Shinji Furushima, all the more endearing.

Gen’s POV

Such a modern city I have visited. I had gotten too used to the island that I’d lived on all my life. I’d only just come to Veilstone City in January and I was stuck with paying for a whole apartment for myself. I didn’t know anybody else at Veilstone University; therefore I had no one to take with me to flat with me. Sometimes it feels rather lonely just being by myself but I do my best to cope.

I’d been studying psychology with the hope of understanding people and being able to help them out. In this wide world, numerous in people, there are happy people, there are sad people, and there are those who are angry, who are embarrassed, who are worried and who are unsure. There are so many emotions in the world and reasons behind them. I wanted to understand it all.
    And when I heard that Veilstone City had a university with great teachers in psychology, even though it’s so far away from my home, I absolutely knew that I had to leave and apply for this university.

I came to want to study psychology with the belief that while there are people out there who can make people feel sad, there are people who can cure sadness as well.

I started my university studies in February and hoped that would make things get better and that I’d make new friends. But when I actually started, I began to realise that a lot of the people in my class all knew each other and thus they’d choose to hang out with and talk to each other over me. And when I realised that, I noted that meant they’d be unlikely to approach.

But the thing is that I’m never sure about the approach. You see people, you want to strike up a conversation about something, anything but you have little idea about how to go through with it. Be it you lack confidence, be it you fear of making a bad first impression or whatever, these thoughts just hold you back. Then you watch a person go up to another with such ease and you wonder how they managed to do it. What did they do that you didn’t?

So many things about people and society make me curious.

In March, I started getting up earlier and having breakfast at this lovely cafe a block or two away from the university. After a week and a half, people acknowledged me as a regular and I’d sometimes talk to some of them. I learned that a couple of the other regulars there go to my university like Hyouta, Denji and Daigo. They’re all studying for different degrees though, I believe.

As I got to know the regulars, there was one regular that nobody approached. He’s a teenager who seems to get up very early for a high school student. The boy looked incredibly mature for his age, had lavender hair that grew until about 5-10 centimetres above his shoulders.

I don’t know how, but right from the start, I could tell he was different to the normal teenager that I’d see running around Veilstone City. He seemed interesting to me.

Whenever he walked into the cafe, people said that he’d give off that look of ‘stay away from me’. That was what they’d say. He’d shrug it off and not care. People would continue to say he’s antisocial.

But all I saw was a lonely teenager.

I wanted to know him. The mystery about him and those dark, lonesome eyes that I saw. This just made him, the boy I’d heard of as Shinji Furushima, all the more endearing.

Then I’d think once more about how to approach him and then feel lost. I don’t know if I was really friends with Hyouta, Denji and Daigo so I couldn’t just be by their side and pretend that getting to know more about Shinji didn’t interest me at all. That would be a lie. I’m just a mere acquaintance to the three and the only times I ever saw them was in the mornings at the cafe.

But Shinji, I’d see around often. He lives in my neighbourhood with his older brother who I believe is called Reiji. Reiji works as a vet nowadays, on the opposite side of the town from the university. Sometimes Reiji joined Shinji at the cafe for breakfast too. My university classes meant that I’d spot Shinji before and after school. I’d look out the window and see him walking home.

I felt weird, showing curiosity in someone who looks to be between four and five years younger than me. Somebody might think I’m a paedophile or something! I don’t want that to be thought of me, not at all! But thinking like that only makes me believe it more! I need to sort out this mindset fast!

What would my teacher say?

Before I knew it, all these thoughts and developments and learning had taken up time and now it’s April and it’s now Easter holidays. This will be the first time that I’ll be spending it without family. I guess that means buying my own chocolate egg this year. Well, my family never remember that I like the huge milk chocolate eggs best while the rest of them like white chocolate so at least I can choose my favourite too.

I always liked treats at Easter. As a child, I always looked forward to sweets and chocolate and everything. It was a general feel-good holiday for me that I always enjoyed. Easter Saturday for me and even though I’m off university for a holiday, I still woke up early and went to the cafe.

Considering it’s a holiday, I suspect that Reiji will join Shinji today! Maybe I’ll try and approach them and give them my greetings for the Easter.

I stepped into the cafe, a warm and bright atmosphere within. The smells of food were in the air and it made me just want to sit down and relax. I looked around and wasn’t surprised to see Shinji in his usual seat. But Reiji wasn’t with him. It seems that on holidays, Hyouta, Denji and Daigo don’t come here at this time.

Now that the usual crowd I talk to aren’t here, the only people I recognised were Shinji and the workers at the cafe. Hajime grinned at me, his smile drawing me towards him. He asked if I wanted what I always got. A hot chocolate and a ham and cheese toasted sandwich. I thought for a second.

“No thank you, I’ll try something different. Buttered hot cross buns and... And earl grey tea please!” I made my order and paid the amount I got charged. Hajime handed me a number and I looked around, choosing somewhere to sit. I think I’ll sit at that table near Shinji and try to strike up a conversation with Shinji.

The teen looked up when I sat down, a few metres away from his table. I smiled at him, trying to look as friendly as possible. He didn’t seem particularly bothered or off put by me, thank goodness. The first step of making some form of contact with the person is always the most nerve-wracking I find.

“It’s a holiday, isn’t it? I thought you’d be here with your older brother Reiji,” I commented, breaking the silence that has been between us for the longest time. Shinji looked surprised and tried not to let it show. He sighed and muttered something about nobody ever approaching him to talk at this cafe before. I smiled and asked where was Reiji was.

Shinji sighed again. “He went to visit relatives.”

“You didn’t go too?”

“I’m not travelling all the way to another city to visit losers like them. It’s only like, grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins... They’re all annoying and well, they’d rather have nii-san as company than me,” he explained, crossing his arms and avoiding eye contact.

“Does that mean you’re celebrating Easter Sunday tomorrow by yourself?”

“...Yes,” he answered flatly. Just like me. We’re both going to be lonely on Easter Sunday. Such a happy holiday yet oh so melancholic for us both. I figured this may have been the case. “But my parents back in the day weren’t into Easter celebrations. All fifteen years of my life, I had never received an Easter egg for Easter. And since I lived with just my brother when I was twelve, my brother always went away while I stayed home. I’m used to it.”

He’s never had an Easter egg before? He’s missing out! Fifteen years and never having chocolate on Easter. And this year is probably going to be the same. I don’t know his situation well, but I feel all the more engrossed in wanting to know him, wanting to help.

It didn’t matter that I hadn’t talked to him much. Getting to know humans, their emotions, their hardships and everything has always interested me. And being a psychologist involves the ability of being able to have a deep understanding of people, regardless of not having known them for long.

That is my mindset. It is the way I think. And I want to understand the way Shinji thinks.

“Don’t you feel lonely?”

I thought it was worth asking.

Shinji turned to face me, glaring at me. But beyond that glare, I could see a boy who grew up with a distant life. Little affection and warmth is within those eyes. He noticed me examining and turned away, saying it was none of my business.

But to me, that was the same as admitting that he was indeed, quite lonely.
    Satoshi came over and handed me my hot cross buns and tea. Oh yes, Satoshi works on weekend shifts, I almost forgot. He and Hajime seem to get along well. “Hajime, I didn’t spill it this time!” Satoshi called out, Hajime smiling warmly at him. Satoshi has been known to have accidental slip-ups. Hajime is so kind to him about it. I want to exude a warmth just like that too.

That’s it! I will make Shinji’s Easter the best one he’s ever had. “My name is Gen Mizushima,” I decided to introduce myself, despite how the introduction was out of place. “And I want you to meet me outside the cafe at this time tomorrow!”

Shinji shot me a weird look. “But the cafe is closed tomo-”

“I know that,” I cut him off. I didn’t intend to be rude, interrupting him but I so wanted to get to the point, I had a brilliant idea. “So you’ll meet me, yes?”
    “You’re leaving me no choice in the matter, are you?”

I chuckled at this. “I guess not. So it’s agreed then.”

--

I walked into a candy store, smiling at all the Easter chocolates on display. Everyone seems to be getting into the spirit of the holiday and that joy increased my own happiness. It’s funny how much everything around you affects your emotions so. Like a silent classroom during an exam makes you tense up yet a theme park filled with noise of excited people makes you get excited. I think too much about this stuff, I really do.

It’s just fascination, I guess. I don’t need a lot to happen to me, I’m grateful for whatever comes my way. Even though I don’t seek anything out, I want to be someone who is sought out for. I want to be needed; I want to be reassuring arms for someone. I guess that’s why I want to be a psychologist, because I want to understand.

“All fifteen years of my life, I had never received an Easter egg for Easter.”
    For now, all I can really do is little things to make a person’s day. And I’m willing to do that for Shinji. Heh, maybe I can be a sort of psychologist for him. Maybe I could make up for all those Easters he spent alone and Easter egg-less. Yes. That’s what I’ll do.

I picked out a certain number of huge Easter eggs. One for me, the rest for Shinji. The counter lady looked at me as if I was crazy. But I didn’t mind. I don’t mind looking like a greedy person now when tomorrow, I’ll be making a person’s day with all the eggs I bought. That’s what matters to me most.

--

We both turned up on time. Well, Shinji seemed to have arrived earlier but what mattered was that the two of us came to meet each other on this day. Shinji shot me a weird glance, counting out all the bags I was carrying with his fingers.

“Why the hell do you have so many bags?” he eventually asked. I brought three large plastic bags, filled with big Easter Eggs.

“Five Easter Eggs per bag,” I answered with a smile.

Shinji gave me a look of ‘are you freaking kidding me why so many holy crap!’ – I memorised that expression since seeing it from the lady at the candy store yesterday, that I did.

--

“So... You’re telling me that... because I went fifteen years without ever receiving an Easter egg, you thought it would be okay... to go and buy fifteen Easter Eggs – one per year?” Shinji said; making a summary of the explanation I just gave him. I nodded. “Why the hell would you go to such lengths for someone you barely even talk to?! It’s... weird...”

I responded with a grin. “I thought it was sad that you spend Easters alone and never have chocolate eggs, so I wanted your Easter to be better this year. I hope you’re okay with milk chocolate; I wasn’t sure what you liked best so I picked my favourite instead. Though I probably should’ve done a mix – like, three milk chocolate, three white chocolate, three dark chocolate-”

Shinji shook his head. “No, you’ve done more than enough. More than necessary. I understand the gesture though...” His cheeks blushed red. “...Thanks. I do get worried by a university student who spoils teenage boys with loads of chocolate though...”

I gasped. “Do I come across as paedophilic?! I don’t mean to, honest honest! I just don’t like to see a person unhappy and I want to help those who don’t seem happy. I like understanding people and-”

“You did that speech last month. I remember you telling those other three that you were studying to be a psychologist. I overheard that, even though you only said it once. Most of the time, I just hear about Daigo and Hyouta’s rock and fossil spazzes and Denji explaining the details of his latest relationship. I feel sorry for you, listening to all that brainless chatter... I feel sorry for myself, overhearing it too...”

“No, don’t feel sorry for me. I’m happy with having met those people, I like having people I regularly chat to! Even though Denji-san should probably sort out the fact he’s cheating on Mikan-san with Suzuna-san and Hyouta-san and Daigo-san tend to lose me with their talk sometimes, I don’t mind at all,” I explained, hoping to convince him. Convince him that it wasn’t brainless chatter. I believe that when people talk about themselves, it helps give an understanding of one another. We don’t need to know all the in-depth details, but if we have a simple understanding and we know how the person feels about the subject of discussion, then that’s good enough.

“You’re lonely, aren’t you?”

I blinked. This question made my mind draw a blank. “Shinji-san?”

“That’s why you approached me and splashed out on me. You wanted to help someone so that you felt needed. The truth is, you’re lonely too and by talking to me, you’re satisfying yourself more than anything else, thinking that you’re understanding me when it’s more about you coming to terms with yourself...”

I froze. What could I say to that? The words made so much sense to me. I guess I was trying to make myself happy by thinking I helped another person when the person themselves didn’t appreciate the gesture as much as I thought they did. By doing kind things, I thought that made me a person others would appreciate. But this person sees it as me trying to make myself feel good.

Is this true? Is this really what I’m doing? Not once had I considered these thoughts. I felt my cheeks blush pink. How embarrassing, not to have an answer at the ready. I hadn’t really come to terms with myself, had I? But I could agree on something with Shinji.

“Yes, in Veilstone City, I am lonely, very much so...” I looked at the sky, silent in thought. I wonder if I have distant eyes. For Shinji to be able to gain an understanding of me, he must be an amazing person. An amazing person had gone unrecognised by others.

Antisocial and unapproachable. I don’t believe in words like that. A person can’t be described as unapproachable, I feel. It’s more the lack of will to approach the person. Labelling someone as unapproachable seems like you’re blaming them for your lack of self-confidence to even consider talking to them.

I’m glad I took the chance to talk to Shinji. I hope that I’m not the only one getting something from this meeting. I’m so glad I managed to approach him. All these emotions kept in my mind, maybe that’s why people don’t approach me at school. I never really did display my own feelings and put them out there. I wanted to understand others but I never let them understand me. And for people to not understand me, I became the person who was lonely.

“Well, that loneliness brought you to me, I guess... So somehow, I don’t mind...” Shinji mumbled, my eyes averting from the sky to his own dark orbs. “I think there’s a lot more to you than meets the eye. We should talk more often.” He took the bags of Easter Eggs from me and started to walk away. “I’ll see you around at the cafe but if you can, act like you’re the one trying to latch onto me than vice versa. I don’t want Denji or someone making remarks about me opening up or something because then everyone will start talking to me.”

“And that would be a nuisance, right?” I asked with a smile. Shinji simply nodded and continued walking.

And in the near future, we would talk at the cafe. He would tell me the story of his life and I would tell mine. We would become regular acquaintances and be a great example of humans understanding each other. I would like that.

Maybe I will stop having these lonesome feelings. Maybe someday, I’ll recognise him as a friend and vice versa. But from the looks of things, it may take a while for Shinji to be like that, as he seems to be quite the reserved teenager. But someday, yes. That’s what I believe.

Not near. Not far. Someday.

-------

And that's the oneshot! A lot less crazer and dramatic than my other works but I thought it was sweet. Gen's so nice, I wanna glomp him so. <3333333

Anyway...

HAPPY EASTER!

I should've plonked this sooner in this post... ah well..

Um um um, anyway, review? :3

Adios!

Mel-Girl.
    Last edited by Mel-Girl; 11th April 2009 at 11:30 PM.

But Shinji, I’d see around often. He lives in my neighbourhood with his older brother who I believe is called Reiji. Reiji works as a vet nowadays, on the opposite side of the town from the university. Sometimes Reiji joined Shinji at the cafe for breakfast too. My university classes meant that I’d spot Shinji before and after school. I’d look out the window and see him walking home.

I felt weird, showing curiosity in someone who looks to be between four and five years younger than me. Somebody might think I’m a paedophile or something! I don’t want that to be thought of me, not at all! But thinking like that only makes me believe it more! I need to sort out this mindset fast!

What would my teacher say?
    It's spelled "pedophile", hon ^^;

BUT YES, GEN, YOU ARE A CRADLE ROBBER MUAHAHAHA <3

“Does that mean you’re celebrating Easter Sunday tomorrow by yourself?”

“...Yes,” he answered flatly. Just like me. We’re both going to be lonely on Easter Sunday. Such a happy holiday yet oh so melancholic for us both. I figured this may have been the case. “But my parents back in the day weren’t into Easter celebrations. All fifteen years of my life, I had never received an Easter egg for Easter. And since I lived with just my brother when I was twelve, my brother always went away while I stayed home. I’m used to it.”

He’s never had an Easter egg before? He’s missing out! Fifteen years and never having chocolate on Easter. And this year is probably going to be the same. I don’t know his situation well, but I feel all the more engrossed in wanting to know him, wanting to help.
    Aw, but, Shinji... sad... D: Oh, and, yay, Gen! <3

“Don’t you feel lonely?”

I thought it was worth asking.

Shinji turned to face me, glaring at me. But beyond that glare, I could see a boy who grew up with a distant life. Little affection and warmth is within those eyes. He noticed me examining and turned away, saying it was none of my business.

But to me, that was the same as admitting that he was indeed, quite lonely.
    RIGHT THERE. The emotional cinch. Not a dry eye in the house ;_;

Shinji shook his head. “No, you’ve done more than enough. More than necessary. I understand the gesture though...” His cheeks blushed red. “...Thanks. I do get worried by a university student who spoils teenage boys with loads of chocolate though...”
    SHUT UP YOU KNOW YOU LOVE IT! <3 lol

And in the near future, we would talk at the cafe. He would tell me the story of his life and I would tell mine. We would become regular acquaintances and be a great example of humans understanding each other. I would like that.

Maybe I will stop having these lonesome feelings. Maybe someday, I’ll recognise him as a friend and vice versa. But from the looks of things, it may take a while for Shinji to be like that, as he seems to be quite the reserved teenager. But someday, yes. That’s what I believe.

Not near. Not far. Someday.
    GARG. FOO. EEK. <3

NO WORDS.

So cute! <3

Mel, this was fantastic ^_^ Lots of Gen being awesome, and Shinji being tolerably human... nothing like chocolate to bring people together ^_^ Yet another Melon classic! I loved it!
    lord freeza i really need to use the space skype

aawwww that was so sweet!

I like the whole interest in psychology that Gen has. That's a nice way to bring these two together. And at the end, how Shinji came to the conclusion that Gen was lonely too. Shippy ~~ ! You did a great job being Gen, I must say, and this was definitely worth it to read! :3

[/badreview]

~riolulu

Alrighty, review time!

That, in a few sentences, describes how Bishieshipping begins.

It didn’t matter that I hadn’t talked to him much. Getting to know humans, their emotions, their hardships and everything has always interested me. And being a psychologist involves the ability of being able to have a deep understanding of people, regardless of not having known them for long.

That is my mindset. It is the way I think. And I want to understand the way Shinji thinks.
    Aww, a new challenge for Gen. Trying to work out how Shinji ticks.

Satoshi came over and handed me my hot cross buns and tea. Oh yes, Satoshi works on weekend shifts, I almost forgot. He and Hajime seem to get along well. “Hajime, I didn’t spill it this time!” Satoshi called out, Hajime smiling warmly at him. Satoshi has been known to have accidental slip-ups. Hajime is so kind to him about it. I want to exude a warmth just like that too.
    YAY! Aerialshipping hint/reference! 11/10 already! But, seriously, I'm one happy camper now. And yay for Satoshi not spilling! Oh, is Satoshi in a maid outfit? *shot*

“So... You’re telling me that... because I went fifteen years without ever receiving an Easter egg, you thought it would be okay... to go and buy fifteen Easter Eggs – one per year?” Shinji said; making a summary of the explanation I just gave him. I nodded. “Why the hell would you go to such lengths for someone you barely even talk to?! It’s... weird...”
    'Cause its Gen, Shinji. He wants to get to know you, find out how you tick. And he also wants to be super nice to you to make up for 15 years of lost Easter chocolates.

Overall, pretty good Mel-Girl. I like the idea of them not exactly being all lovey-dovey at the end. Their relationship is friendly, but also blossoming into something more.
    Thanks to Sweet May for the Jun icon on my profile!
        Spoiler:- Claims and Ships and Friend Codes...OYEAK!:

Shinji = Angsty ball of adorable.
    Gen = Awesomely cute and squee and <3

Shinji + Gen = Uh, chocolate?
    I want a Bishieshipping chocolate now...

Tbh, I would be creeped out if some random that I didn't really know brought me lots of Easter Eggs.
    Actually, if it were someone like Gen, I wouldn't. So um. <3

I really liked the way Shinji and Gen interacted here. It was all <3 and pretty in character.
    And they were both just so cute.

“I know that,” I cut him off. I didn’t intend to be rude, interrupting him but I so wanted to get to the point, I had a brilliant idea. “So you’ll meet me, yes?”
    “You’re leaving me no choice in the matter, are you?”
    I loved that. Though in my mind I expected it to be 'So you'll meet me, y/y?'
    And really, Shinji wants to go. He so does.

I squeeeeed at psychologist!Gen. I can haz Gen plz?

Um um um. -throws cute potion- oh look, it's Bishieshipping.

<3
    -hands over chocolate-

P.S. Originally, I was editing the other one. How come this comes up as a different one?
    Hah, I need to spend more time on this site and work it out.

Oooh, what a nice piece you've written here. You certainly have an interesting take on Gen's personality, and I like that. I also like the fact that he's also a Psych major (college-related AU ftw). You also seem to be good at writing in the first person (I love his inner thoughts/feelings in this)--I might have said that before XD.

And Gen being friends with Daigo, Hyouta and Denji was a great choice. Their conversations that Shinji overhears was funny. <3

Oh pedo!Gen, better watch out before the party van comes to get you~

Awesome one-shot, though! Great work Mel! <33 Definitely worth reading.
    I'm in your fandom, ignoring your canon. ;D
    -Comashipper, for sure. <3
    -ComaKari, SteelFedora, DarkStreak, PearlShi3, Bishie and UlteriorShipper.
    -And many more (slash, femslash, het), of course.