Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Solid As A Solrock (376)

Whoo, gym battle episode.

Team Rocket sang to the tune of the music. Cool. And I liked the Meowth fantasy. No entertainment beats watching chibi Giovanni dance in his debonair blue suit. And that machine was awesome, even though it had that one flaw that cost them the steal.

Do Tate & Liza fight in their battles all the time? I don't see how the one time they argued with eachother had to be when Ash arrived.

My main complaint is that Tate & Liza weren't psychic. Seriously, that would have made a VERY interesting battle. They'd know exactly what eachother was thinking, complete eachother's sentences, just like in the games. They could have even added a mindreading of Ash's thoughts as icing on the cake. But no, they had to take the whole deal out...

Wait, I have one more semi-complaint:

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed
    The Pikachu/Swellow powerup with electric armor was definitely not a cop out like some people were whining when this episode aired in Japan, it was a very cool twist and something that is entirely plausible.
    Meh... it was new and interesting, I'll give you that. But it I have to say, it was somewhat a cheap way of getting Ash to win. It wasn't quite as plausible as it should have been. I mean come on, Golden Armor of Thunder? How is electricity going to serve as armor? Sounds kinda meh-ish to me.

But I admit, Pikachu and Swellow looked cool with the armor on, and Swellow diving through the air with the electricity flowing a bit behind it was amazing.

This episode deserves a... *sighs* I guess I guess I'll start lightening up and give this an 8/10, too. O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Ryu
    Why do Team Rocket have to interupt gym battles! -_-;; It's really pointless.
    Well, it was the first time it's happened since Fuschia (although technically you could count Blackthorn).
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Pokemon Master
    It wasn't quite as plausible as it should have been. I mean come on, Golden Armor of Thunder? How is electricity going to serve as armor? Sounds kinda meh-ish to me.
    My main theory is that the electricity wasn't armor in the sense of being like the armor on a tank, but more like an energy field that repelled other energy. That is, the electrical energy coursing along the surface of their bodies could have semi-nullified other energy attacks like Ice Beam, causing that energy to pass to each side of them instead of penetrating their bodies. The energy coming out of their bodies would have literally pushed other energy aside. Now I doubt real electrcity can do that but it was an interesting idea nonetheless, and made for an awesome climax to the battle (I loved the explosive effects from the impact attacks).

Then to smash through Light Screen it also had the effect of combining a physical attack with an energy one (Light Screen couldn't deal with both at the same time and if you go by the games can only block energy/special attacks)

The animation was great and I loved how sweet Ash sounded when he was about to hug Swellow, then later Swellow gave the cutest smile.

If the writers gave as much thought and depth into explanation as you do, PF, I'd say we'd have one heckava show on our hands.

Spoiler:
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

Yeah...I can just picture Brock giving such an explanation...

I agree with you Blue Pokemon Master! Ash's gym battle would definitely be alot more interesting if Liza+Tate could read each other's minds(as well as Ash's mind). That would be a more challenging gym battle for Ash.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Suikun
    Well, it was the first time it's happened since Fuschia (although technically you could count Blackthorn).
    What I meant is why are they even in gym episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Pokemon Master
    My main complaint is that Tate & Liza weren't psychic. Seriously, that would have made a VERY interesting battle. They'd know exactly what eachother was thinking, complete eachother's sentences, just like in the games. They could have even added a mindreading of Ash's thoughts as icing on the cake. But no, they had to take the whole deal out...
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterDragon trainer
    Ash's gym battle would definitely be alot more interesting if Liza+Tate could read each other's minds(as well as Ash's mind). That would be a more challenging gym battle for Ash.
    I know! They completely left that out! It really bugged me.
    Last edited by Silver Ryu; 6th November 2005 at 1:19 AM.

This lovely banner was made by Faerie.
    My Devaintart gallery
    Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have
    trouble remembering how to fly
    Oh, and I claimed Sora from the Kingdom Hearts games in the bishie thread. ^^

When Brock said that Pikachu and Swellow were using the Thunder as armor, that reminded me of how some characters in X-Men Legends can make armor for themselves out of whatever element they control (Steel for Colossus, Ice for Iceman, etc). The armor both raises their defenses and adds extra power to their attacks for a time, and that's exactly what happened in this episode. That'd be cool if something similar could be implemented as a move in D/P.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

That's very true and a good example, Geodude. It's definitely a little harder to visualize with a more unstable non-physical element, like Electricity in this case, compared to Steel or Ice, but I do think they pulled it off. Now... to never to it again. :P

And, as far as current attacks go, Acid Armor might be the closest to what you're pondering. But so far they haven't been too keen on explaining that one ('side from, I think, Vaporeon all the way back in Kanto).
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

Dr. Sun Guest

Despite the excellent explanations provided here, I still have to agree with most everyone else and agree that the electric-armor thing is too deus ex machina for my tastes. I think Ash could still have used the trick to his advantage, but in a different way:

What if Ash, after seeing the way Lunatone's Light Screen deflected Pikachu's electricity at the gathering clouds, simply ordered Pikachu to turn up the juice and keep firing? The clouds would react to the lightning, and strike down on the battlefield.

Normally, Swellow and Pikachu would be fried, but Ash ordered Swellow to use Mirror Move and copy Lunatone's Light Screen, pointing it straight up at the sky to deflect the lightning coming down from above. Solrock and Lunatone, OTOH, would have a most shocking experience, since Lunatone's Light Screen was directed straight ahead at Pikachu, not at the lightning bolts coming down from the sky.

Once Solrock and Lunatone were electrocuted, they'd both be stunned by the attack and their defences would be down. Then Ash would order Pikachu and Swellow to attack with Aerial Ace and Iron Tail before the cosmic pokemon could recover, finishing Solrock and Lunatone off.

I think that would have been a much better way to do it. Ash would still use his brains to outsmart his foes, Pikachu and Swellow would each contribute to the victory, and a really obscure move would get some glory. And there'd be no weird cop-out victory, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Ryu
    What I meant is why are they even in gym episodes.
    Because the Japanese have to stick them in every episode whether there's a reason for them to be there or not. I don't like it either...
    Diamond Team:

i just saw it...it was a little pushed...over the limits of beliavable
    www.mE-Entertainment.net

...hasten to drown into beautiful eyes ♫
    Sig Request Shop

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction
    If the writers gave as much thought and depth into explanation as you do, PF, I'd say we'd have one heckava show on our hands.
    Or people would complain about it being overly detailed... ^_^

Spoiler:
        Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude
    When Brock said that Pikachu and Swellow were using the Thunder as armor, that reminded me of how some characters in X-Men Legends can make armor for themselves out of whatever element they control (Steel for Colossus, Ice for Iceman, etc). The armor both raises their defenses and adds extra power to their attacks for a time, and that's exactly what happened in this episode. That'd be cool if something similar could be implemented as a move in D/P.
    On some anime (like "Rahxephon") and other shows, even things like sound can be used as armor. With non solid things like that it's all about the user being able to control the forces exerted, hence in Pokemon we have Charizard actually containing a Hyper Beam inside its Fire Spin.

Jirachi1 Guest

I saw this for the first time Saturday. I really enjoyed it and got into it straight away. It was a interesting episode. One of my favourites.

what a weird episode?
    IMO, it has been the most impresive episode ever, i didn't expect THAT to happen.
    i think the producers hired writers from saint seiya and dragon ball z

But, after all it was a very good episode

Quote Originally Posted by enxel
    i think the producers hired writers from saint seiya and dragon ball z
    I told you not to tell that.

Anyway that was weird with the super-saijayin/golden Swellow and Pikachu.

Funny scenes at the begining of the battle. I liked that Pikachu lands, attemps to stand up and then Swellow landed.

You know, i had a bazooka aiming at the screen in case they gave away the badge to Ash after defeating TR. I hate when Ash gets things for free, and i´m glad that haven´t happened in a long time *coughPrycecough*.

This episode makes the cut over the average and wins a place in my tape. 8/10

Quote Originally Posted by funkymonk
    IYou know, i had a bazooka aiming at the screen in case they gave away the badge to Ash after defeating TR. I hate when Ash gets things for free, and i´m glad that haven´t happened in a long time *coughPrycecough*.
    What? You consider the Pryce Gym badge a freebie? How so? Ash battled Pryce to a standstill, and having shown to have everything Pryce was testing trainers for in battle, he saw there was no point in continuing so he surrendered the match. The point of gym battles is to demonstrate certain skills, not just knock out the opponent.

Oops... My memory of Johto is kinda confused. But i know Ash has gotten free badges at some points.

Making up for lost time on episode reviews...

Anyway, I truly enjoyed this gym battle. Pikachu and Swellow were awesome in the fight, even though they came in at a humongous disadvantage. Their extra power towards the end was especially impressive, even though I was wondering what the heck that was all about. It was also great that Ash FINALLY used double team after all these years. You'd think after all the times that opponents have used it to their advantage against Ash, he would have taught his pokemon that long ago (Pikachu and Sparky's double teaming doesn't count). I'm glad that Team Rocket forced the gym match outside, too, which gave Ash so much more room to maneuver, even though the gym with its model planets looked pretty cool.

Overall, 9/10.
    Celebrating 15 years of Pokemon, now through December 2013

My Shinies: NEW!! 4/13
    Currently hunting/MM'ing:

It was quite a good eppie except what really annoyed me was they turned Tate into a guy! Tate and Liza are both girls as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Claiming is overrated, can be fun sometimes but others silly. I only claimed Henry Cavill as no one really knows him.

Oh yeah and i'm paired up with the cool Chuboy.

Claimed Henry Cavill on the Celebrity Claiming thread...he's all mine muh ha ha ha ha...^^;.

Quote Originally Posted by MayShuufan
    It was quite a good eppie except what really annoyed me was they turned Tate into a guy! Tate and Liza are both girls as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong.
    No, Tate's Male, and Liza's Female. Tate's name doesn't really betray anything though; I thought the same thing when I saw them together, but I've long since learned the truth.

~*CB*~
    The 8th Champion
    Most Recent Works:

Hoenn's Legacy - An epic of the destruction of Hoenn, the rebuilding of it, and the second destruction. War story, rated TV-14 for Violence.

Skitoma - A story of love between two Wurmple unfamiliar with the concept. Rated PG for slight adult themes.

Ficubes made by me.

Someone gave me a keychain once that said "You're depriving some poor village of it's idiot." I thought it was a joke but no one else laughed

Most of the episode was great.

Highlight of the ep: Pikachu & Swellow using thunder power to defeat Lunatone & Solrock

However, Team Rocket really messed up big time especially Meowth and his plan to steal the gym leader's pokemon that almost worked.

Quote Originally Posted by ≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
    No, Tate's Male, and Liza's Female. Tate's name doesn't really betray anything though; I thought the same thing when I saw them together, but I've long since learned the truth.

~*CB*~
    The 8th Champion
    You know I always thought Tate was a girl too, like Liza's twin sister, until i saw this episode. It's very hard to tell.

Anyway I thought this was a good episode apart from how Pikachu & Swellow actually won the battle. That thunder-armor-charge thing looked visually impressive but it doesn't make any sence. Swellow was already weakened considerably and shouldn't have been able to withstood a powerful thunder attack from the one & only Pikachu, yet it makes it twice as strong as before, able to break through solarbeam & lightscreen, which also strikes me as odd since light screen is strong against special attacks so the electricity shouldn't have been useful against it. Oh well....he won anyway.
    My Pokemon Y friend safari: Normal type (Lillpup, Minccino & Eevee)
    Seeking dragon safari - Dratini!

My Black 2 PWT Singles Champion teams
    Team 1: Team 2:

My Black 2 PWT Type Expert champions
    Normal: Grass: Fire: Water:
    Electric: Ice: Fighting: Poison:
    Ground: Flying: Psychic: Bug:
    Rock: Ghost Dark: Steel:
    Dragon:

3DS Friend code: 0903-3206-5594

The Gym episodes are always great, seeing Pikachu and Swellow work togther and absorb that Thunder attack was very cool. So now Ash has his 7th badge so it's on to Sootopolis now.
    My Grandmother always said...
    "She who walks the path of heaven will rule over everything"

Mana (4914-3452-1470) (X)
    Gyarados, Octillary, and Azumarill

I liked the battle overall but the electric armor was a little stupid in my opinion. I loved Team Rockets Opera Space Motto

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast