Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Solid As A Solrock (376)

ChronoAzn Guest

That music when Pikachu and Swellow are being shocked appeared in Kyogre vs Groudon part 1 when Kyogre escaped. But I haven't heard it in any previous episodes before.

Isn't this episode the first time Ash has EVER used double team (with swellow)? I know I've been dying to see him use double team since I started watching the show, and I've never seen any of his pokemon (or any pokemon he was temporarily commanding) use it. I know it annoyed the heck out of me, because he was at a disadvantage so often when pokemon like scyther (in "Getting the Bugs Out") would use it. It's ABOUT TIME!!!

Hales Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bulba the Great!
    Well, I'm dissapointed, I can't help it... I won't waste an entire post complaining, previous posts about the golden Swellow sum up my feelings. I was really hoping Grovyle would be used, along with Corphish. They make such a good team! Ash really should have lost, he hasn't lost since Brawley, which was conveniantly the only time he didn't use Pikachu in AG. I really think he'll lose against Wallace, because he seriously needs another loss under his belt! He's becoming too powerful. And so is Pikachu!
    Whats wrong with Ash getting more powerful? isn't that what trainers and Pokemon are supposed to do in order to become Pokemon Masters? *confused*

I always wondered about Swellow and Double Team, I also believe it's the first time Ash has asked one of his pokemon to use it too.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoAzn
    That music when Pikachu and Swellow are being shocked appeared in Kyogre vs Groudon part 1 when Kyogre escaped. But I haven't heard it in any previous episodes before.
    It's actually from the 6th movie, played during the scene when Ash and co try to run from the false Groudon. Oddly, it's not included on the 6th movie OST.

Other songs played included the song when Flygon saved Ash and Max from the false Groudon, and the water canal chase scene music from the 5th movie.

ChronoAzn Guest

Thanks for the clarification Golden, I knew the music sounded a little familiar.

And in the anime type difference doesn't matter(quick attacks and aerial ace being effective on rock types) and speed is a big factor, which is probably why the writers made Ash choose Pikachu and Swellow. Hopefully when Ash makes it to the Hoenn league, Torkoal and Snorunt/Glalie will by used in most battles.

It seemed like an ok ep. The golden super charge thing was cool yet stupid. I'm so sick of Ash using his little rat all the time. Use another pokemon. He always has to have Pikachu show off. Every episode its Pikachu use Thunderbolt, Pikachu use Thunder. And no matter what he always has to blast Team Rocket off. No other pokemon is allowed to do it. Its like his job to blast them off. And we all know Pikachu will be the star in his next gym since its a Water gym. He will probably use Pikachu, Grovyle and possibly Swellow. I cant see him using Torkoal for obvious reasons. I dont think thed put Corphish up against strong Water pokemon. I don know about him using Snowrunt in a Water battle. Anyway eve if i didnt like the ep i cant wait to see it on tv.

Fan of #336 Seviper the Fang Snake Pokemon
    Seviper's sword-like tail slashes enemies and douses them with a horrible poison.
    Seviper shares a life-long, bitter rivalry with Zangoose.
    Evo Line: Seviper
    Fave moveset: Poison Tail, Toxic, Sludge Bomb, Flamethrower

Banner by me ~RT

~May~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wobbanut
    Isn't this episode the first time Ash has EVER used double team (with swellow)? I know I've been dying to see him use double team since I started watching the show, and I've never seen any of his pokemon (or any pokemon he was temporarily commanding) use it. I know it annoyed the heck out of me, because he was at a disadvantage so often when pokemon like scyther (in "Getting the Bugs Out") would use it. It's ABOUT TIME!!!
    well actually he used double team with pikachu...don't remember when but he did....

This episode was ok, but not that great. The battle was pretty dissappointing. Not only did I not like the whole golden power-up thing, I found it odd that Swellow and Pikachu kept taking direct hits from Solrock and Lunatone's attacks and coming back without a scratch. Pikachu (as well as Swellow) got slammed into a cliff and smashed solid rock with it's body, you'd think that would KO the poor thing instantly. Overall I think this could possibly be the worst Gym episode I've ever seen. The concept of the double battle and all was very interesting, but it just wasn't done very well IMO, although I must say Liza was really cute so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
    ~

I thought the golden power up was strange but cool and different for the series ^^

and why don't ppo think he'll use pokemon w/ a disadvantage in the next gym (torkoal), you must've seen pretty much every gym battle Ash has ever been in

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Al
    That last attack was a ripoff of G Gundum.
    Oh yes, because we all know G Gundam was the first thing to ever involve a fighter turning entirely gold and being powered up greatly. e_e If anything, this is a change in the Golden Warrior tale that goes around Japan. Instead of a Warrior, these are Pokémon. >_>

I really don't see what's everyone's obsession with using Corphish and Grovyle. I've mentioned it about a thousand times. Neither one can touch Solrock or Lunatone as long as they can fly. Their ranged attacks (Bullet Seed and Bubblebeam) are both limited in how far they can reach. Corphish isn't exactly fast and is weak against Solrock's Solarbeam. Grovyle may have speed, but if Lunatone and Solrock can avoid it, a simple Ice Beam would slow Grovyle down tremendously. Pikachu and Swellow were the best choices he could make against Psychic-types that can fly. They both had speed and power. Type advantage doesn't always matter in the anime like it does in the games. As long as the Pokémon is well trained and can handle things properly, it can overcome them (ala Swellow being able to handle electric attacks since it was a Taillow).
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Wierdo Guest

I don't think it was the first time that any of Ash's pokemon used Double Team. I'm pretty sure that he told Pikachu to use Double team in Team Rocket's van in the episode when Ash first meets Richie.

As for the Golden Swellow part, my theory is that the energy was channelled through Swellow to increase his attack power. Think of it as an "electrical Airial Ace."

EDIT: Never mind, that was an agility.
    Last edited by Wierdo; 31st October 2004 at 10:24 PM.

Factory Head Noland Guest

I just saw this episode and it was quite good, the golden thing was a little out there but it was okay. I think that Ash could of come up with a more realistic strategy though....
    At least Team Rocket didn't lose straight away! Lets be thankful for that!!

Hm, finally saw this episode and I now understand the "Golden Pokémon" thing. It wasn't really a powerup of any sort. They simply had an aura of electricity flowing around the two which ended up having an added effect to their attacks (hence the explosions caused from Aerial Ace and Iron Tail). Because of the electricity flowing with the attacks, it had a more harmful effect on Lunatone and Solrock.

Think of it like this. You take an iron rod and beat a piece of wood with it. Then heat up the rod with fire then hit the wood again. It's gonna be more destructive against the wood cause not only is it hitting the wood, but also burning it. Same case can be said here only replace fire with electricity. >_>
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by pokeplayer984
    As stated earlier, Ash's Swellow can't be effected by electric attacks, so they do no damage
    Completely and totally false.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

That's not what Winona and Tate/Liza said when they saw Swellow take Electric attacks without being harmed. >_>; At the very least, it does some damage. But it's not very effective on Swellow like it would be on any ordinary Flying-type.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    At the very least, it does some damage. But it's not very effective on Swellow like it would be on any ordinary Flying-type.
    Hence why Geodude said "Completely and totally false" when responding to the poster's statement.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    Hm, finally saw this episode and I now understand the "Golden Pokémon" thing. It wasn't really a powerup of any sort. They simply had an aura of electricity flowing around the two which ended up having an added effect to their attacks (hence the explosions caused from Aerial Ace and Iron Tail). Because of the electricity flowing with the attacks, it had a more harmful effect on Lunatone and Solrock.

Think of it like this. You take an iron rod and beat a piece of wood with it. Then heat up the rod with fire then hit the wood again. It's gonna be more destructive against the wood cause not only is it hitting the wood, but also burning it. Same case can be said here only replace fire with electricity. >_>
    Ah, I see. Hopefully this explanation will get out a bit and people will hate this gym battle less.

It seems to really be a genius move in some respects. Lunatone and Solrock were using Reflect/Light Screen right? Reflect even in the anime seems to mainly work well against what are Attack stat based moves rather than Special Attack based moves (the anime has broken these rules but also applied them at other times) and Light Screen is the opposite.

By coating Swellow and Pikachu with an electrical aura, aside from the effect you mentioned, could it be that this aura effectively made their attacks Attack and Special Attack-based at the same time? If so, this would be the reason their opponent's Light Screen or Reflect broke so easily. Since each shield is for only certain attacks, it couldn't withstand both at the same time.

Also, it is possible the electric aura protected them some from damage, hence how they were able to plow through Lunatone and Solrock's attacks. Remember how when it was using Charge, Wattson's Manectric back in Mauville was able to block energy attacks with its electric aura.

Suddenly this gym battle makes more sense. Ash wasn't powering up Swellow and Pikachu, he merely gave them a different way to attack. Combining physical (Iron Tail, Aerial Ace) with elemental (Electric type aura) is something no Pokemon could defend against I bet.

Tate+Liza Guest

I think they will since he always beat us in one hit!

Glad to have shined some light on the Gym Battle. ^^ I was one of the few who thought the outcome was bad until I actually saw the episode and was able to figure it out (I think they failed to explain what was going on in the episode, which is why everyone got upset over this "power up").

Now that I look at it, it's these kind of strategies that I love about the anime battles. I believe the reasoning Reflect and Light Screen broke is because the attacks used were boosted with an Electric effect that would pretty much destroy the barriers from the overwhelming power from them. It's quite possible that because of the electricity, Reflect broke from the electricity and Light Screen broke from the physical attack. Couldn't handle the switch of offenses.

Kingler Guest

Wow.. Ash needs some strategy help. Pikachu and Swellow against two Ground. Then again, this is the Anime and Pikachu is all-powerful for some unknown reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingler
    Wow.. Ash needs some strategy help. Pikachu and Swellow against two Ground. Then again, this is the Anime and Pikachu is all-powerful for some unknown reason.
    Did you read a single one of the above replies? I really don't see the point of replying to a topic when one does little more than read the first post or simply the title of the topic. It only makes one look bad.

Solrock and Lunatone are NOT Ground types. They are Rock/Psychic types...

And Pikachu is not all-powerful in the anime, it's simply unusually strong for a Pikachu...

suavesky Guest

ahhh yes lunatone and solrock what a deadily combanation

NOOOOOOOOOOOT

it was a good gym battle, the whole 'golden look' was just rubbish and kiddy. reminded me of super sonic!
    Super Pikachu!

classical thing though, half way through battle TR intrude, steal GL's pokes, they beat TR and finish the battle.

what is on tommorow? Barboach ep or Drake ep? we will never know... (until tommorow)
    Your banner was too big, so it was removed. This is your 5th strike, so your entire signature was removed, you were banned for 3 weeks, and will lose signature privileges shortly. Do not edit your signature anymore. Please remember to read the signature rules and get your signature checked if you need help.

i think it was great XD 10/10
    IM BACK Everyone <3
    SPPF's NO 1 Ash ketchum Lover Forever <3 |Ash is My Bishie <3 * Holds Tight And Huggles
    [IMG]http://i44.*******.com/j9xzk4.jpg[/IMG]
    Soul Mate - Shikamaru | Banner - Katsu | Erica ~Still a Mudkip + Sceptile Lover
    The Mudkip | Torchic | Treecko Fan club | Ash Doll | Ash Club <3 | Emiline Ketchum - roleplay
    Pair - Flare | Penpals : Katsu Katsuko and Endless Summer
    Em*Katsu*Rubi*Hika*Kelly*Zino*Tama = The SatoQuintruplets
    Satochu Lover Twins - Pikagirl
    Ask me for my pearl code! | Diamond Friend Code - 3823 5121 4699
    No matter where you are Ash your always gonna be mine

I dunno about the rest of you, but team rocket singing opera killed the heck out of me.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast