Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Family That Battles Together, Stays Together! (005)

Janelle+Ryan Guest

Yes, that is very true Serebii, she did die in the Japanese version.

Um...Serebii, with all due respect, what the HECK were you watching? She's very much alive.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

I was referring to the statement in "Showdown in Pewter City" that they were guessin how the dub would fix their error. People think it was a dub error

Well, for reasons that I've stated elsewhere I'm not sure I would call it an error, but it's certainly a change from what Flint said in Japanese.

And if you take the English version at face value, it was still a lie. Mizuho is very much alive, no matter what her husband says to random strangers.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii
    Umm, I aint sure about this but i think they said that she died in the Japanese version too so it isn't a Dub error...just tryin to clarify things
    It most certainly was a dub error. The exact phrase used to describe what happened to Takeshi's mother is iede shite shimatta, meaning "left home".

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Ah, I guess I was misinformed then. My Mistake

So there are twp possiblitys.

1)4Kids forgot they said that and say she is his realy mother and she comes back.

2)They say shes his step-mother/Flints new girlfriend.

So either way its kinda mucked up becasue of what the've already said.

Looks like they arn't going to explane about his mother suddenly being alive.

"Last time I was here you was.." something about studying signs, lol.. um..

So, will this be alot shorter then the orginial? seeing as I think it's only one part..

WOW, they painted over the Closed sign.. WHY?

Oh.. and now the part where he gave his pokemon to to his brother is gone.. oh well
    Last edited by poke_girl; 8th June 2005 at 4:55 PM.
    Black - JP
    FC: 1848 9979 6673 Trainer name: Billy IDNo: 65021
    White - UK
    FC: 2537 2960 7121 Trainer name: Bella IDNo: 62467
    White2 - JP
    FC: 0819 9968 5972 Trainer name: Benny IDNo: 39588
    Black2 - UK
    FC: 4170 2407 1321 Trainer name: Britney IDNo: 09957

Dub names:

Brock's Mother is now Laura
    Jiroo is now Forrest (or Forest)

This was nowhere near as bad as The Legend of Thunder, but it was still pretty bad.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by PiPikachu
    Correction Brocks mom is now called LOLA
    It was Laura, the second time Flint said it he clearly said "Laura", but I don't want to start an argument about this
    Last edited by MTC; 8th June 2005 at 5:10 PM.

Correction Brocks mom is now called LOLA
    and yes Forest is the name of Brocks Brother.
    Visit Pikachu's Den
    Site Returns After Christmas! =D

I heard Lola. But heres the bad side:

*Them saying it was Brocks real mother even though the said she'd dies last time.

*It only showed how he losted Onix not Crobat and Geodude.

and some more but it was a nice episode but Brocks Brother Forest is in love with all girls too, lol. But Brock said the lamest line ever

"It looks like your a chip of the old Brock!"

WTF!!!!! That line annoys me But thye mentioned Ash sooo much.

Hey, I heard the name Lola too.

So there's absolutely no mention of how Brock magically loses his Geodude and Crobat on the way to Hoenn. Fantastic. And no explanation about the mother either. It's just all happy and normal as if she's always been there.

I laughed when Brock told Flint about Pikachu beating Onix and Flint was like "Wow... How'd he do that?! (Maybe because you helped him, you dingbat...)

It's as if they purposefully leave things like that out to test us...

Well...

...at least they remembered Flint's name. You never know these days.

Sadly I missed it because I was at my grandparent's

good old sky+ dont fail me now!
    Your banner was too big, so it was removed. This is your 5th strike, so your entire signature was removed, you were banned for 3 weeks, and will lose signature privileges shortly. Do not edit your signature anymore. Please remember to read the signature rules and get your signature checked if you need help.

Oh dear Flint's voice has changed, it's almost as bad as Eugene's now with it being completely toffed up and everything. His old voice back in "Showdown in Pewter City" was definitely better, I hate to complain but it was extremely off-putting.

Asides from that the episode was good, full of silly pranks and good humor. Seeing Brock get upset was funny, since his mom wanted a girly water gym, with girly decorations everywhere, but thankfully Brock won the battle against his mom and restored some pride in the gym.

It appears Forest is as almost as bad as Brock is when it comes to women (they start early then), with him apparantly having a crush on all the girls in his class lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by ShucklemasterJ
    Sadly I missed it because I was at my grandparent's

good old sky+ dont fail me now!
    LOL! If it's like my Sky+ You're DOOMED.. it keeps removing Cronicals for me if you set it before midnight the night before it's ment to be on :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter
    Oh dear Flint's voice has changed, it's almost as bad as Eugene's now with it being completely toffed up and everything. His old voice back in "Showdown in Pewter City" was definitely better, I hate to complain but it was extremely off-putting.

Asides from that the episode was good, full of silly pranks and good humor. Seeing Brock get upset was funny, since his mom wanted a girly water gym, with girly decorations everywhere, but thankfully Brock won the battle against his mom and restored some pride in the gym.

It appears Forest is as almost as bad as Brock is when it comes to women (they start early then), with him apparantly having a crush on all the girls in his class lmao.
    with like 300 of dubbed eps between this and last time we saw him, did you SERIOUSLY Expect his voice to be the same?
    Last edited by poke_girl; 8th June 2005 at 6:06 PM.
    Black - JP
    White - UK
    White2 - JP
    Black2 - UK

Quote Originally Posted by Poke Girl
    with like 300 of dubbed eps between this and last time we saw him, did you SERIOUSLY Expect his voice to be the same?
    Uh yes. I can't see how hard it is to do a little research into that particular episode and pick out the same voice actor. If agreements couldn't be made then that's understandable, but at least try to make him sound similar (the new Nurse Joy voice is alright). But the thing is, I don't think they even bothered checking (in same way they forgot check Eusine's name, and his voice).

I'm not usually one to complain about 4kids but that was a little dissapointing. The rest of the episode was well dubbed though.

Manteen? Smeegle? That earns a facefault from me.

Mizuho is hot~

I really loved the voice acting in this ep. I honestly thought I was going to hate Mizuho's voice, but it was actually pulled of pretty well. Unfortunatly, she sounds more motherly than brain-meltingly adorable, but I shouldn't complain I suppose.
    Eric Stuart's Flint grated on my nerves though. I prefered the strong, serious version that we last saw in Kanto. Like most of his other roles, I felt he was just going ott at times, trying to make him sound much too deep and gruff. But that was my only problem in terms of voice acting. The rest were flawless.

Mizuho is hot~

Forester: Do you meet a lot of girls?
    Brock: Oh yeah, but I put more focus into becoming a pokémon breeder.
    Forester:.....just talk about the girls.

Heh, I loved the way that little quote shows how Brock clearly doesn't have his priorities right and that his brother is just as bad as him.

Mizuho is hot~

I'm confused. Why on earth did they cut out Brock handing over Crobat and Geodude to his brother? As well as the scene where we see him tell everyone that he's only taking Forretress with him?
    I haven't got a sub of this ep, but I know some lines must have been changed here and there. I'll tell you this much, Mizuho never did no yodling...

Mizuho is hot~
    Last edited by Gravy; 8th June 2005 at 7:36 PM.

For reasons best known to themselves, they edited the bit with Brock throwing out his Geodude and Crobat. So yet again people are going to be left questioning about there where abouts from now on lmao.

The ending music during that scene was taken out as well, and replaced by what is heard during Hoenn nowadays (which I personally don't think is as good). Other than that I think it was well dubbed for the most part.
    Last edited by Sharpshooter; 8th June 2005 at 7:48 PM.

Golbat. .
    Crobat, Brock has a Crobat.

Quote Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu
    Crobat, Brock has a Crobat.
    Sorry I meant to say Crobat.

*edits*

Maybe the bit at the end was just umm cut for time? and it'll be on the DVD? >_>; maybe..
    Black - JP
    White - UK
    White2 - JP
    Black2 - UK

The ending music during that scene was taken out as well, and replaced by what is heard during Hoenn nowadays (which I personally don't think is as good). Other than that I think it was well dubbed for the most part.
    I could have told you that would happen. I don't think we've heard any decent ending music in the dub since about the third season. And on the very few occasions an episode isn't ended with that, it's just some equally disgusting mound of rubbish. :D

Music aside, I'm surprised they even remembered Flint's name. Too bad they get a big fat F for forgetting what he sounded like. :P
    ~

Uh yes. I can't see how hard it is to do a little research into that particular episode and pick out the same voice actor. If agreements couldn't be made then that's understandable, but at least try to make him sound similar (the new Nurse Joy voice is alright). But the thing is, I don't think they even bothered checking (in same way they forgot check Eusine's name, and his voice).

I'm not usually one to complain about 4kids but that was a little dissapointing. The rest of the episode was well dubbed though.
    uh.. no, it's 4Kids we're talking about :P should never expect so much of them..
    Black - JP
    White - UK
    White2 - JP
    Black2 - UK

Man that p*ssed me off. I mean, I'm a regular follower of the dub version so I expect good standards, (which to their credit they do do alot of the time) but this seems to be their worst attempt at dubbing pokémon ever.

Ok so it might be just an ending theme, but I really like it and sounded "right" for that particular moment, this is other one made it sound less dramatic and meh.

I also liked Flint, but his new voice is nothing like his old one and gives him a completely new character altogether, they should at least try to make sound similar, but they probably didn't even know Brock's father ever existed based on that I'm afraid.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast