Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Family That Battles Together, Stays Together! (005)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter
    I also liked Flint, but his new voice is nothing like his old one and gives him a completely new character altogether, they should at least try to make sound similar, but they probably didn't even know Brock's father ever existed based on that I'm afraid.
    On the subject of Flint's voice acting, didn't Eric Stuart also do his voice way back in the 5th episode? I'm not entirely sure of it of course, but I really wouldn't be surprised considering his acting skills have been slipping these days :/

Maybe a different team at 4kids handles the Chronicle series than the normal series?

There are different divisions at 4kids that handle particular shows, and maybe Chronicles was handed over to a different team than the one that usually translates pokemon.

It's a good theory as to why there are some name changes and the like.

That could account for some of the changes in voice acting, but it still doesn't excuse them from not doing their research or at least attempting to achieve a sense of continuity. And besides, as Gravy said, I thought Eric Stuart did Flint's original dub voice as well. Oops. XP
    ~

Sorry if I p*ssed you off, I'm just saying.. I don't find it all so bad, I just find them quite forgetful.. they don't even do research for their trainers choice it sounds like O_o
    Black - JP
    FC: 1848 9979 6673 Trainer name: Billy IDNo: 65021
    White - UK
    FC: 2537 2960 7121 Trainer name: Bella IDNo: 62467
    White2 - JP
    FC: 0819 9968 5972 Trainer name: Benny IDNo: 39588
    Black2 - UK
    FC: 4170 2407 1321 Trainer name: Britney IDNo: 09957

Eric Stuart's voice has changed since then. Maybe he couldn't do the voice any more.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

That's putting it kindly. Really though, even James's new, crappy voice does dound vaguely similar to the one he used back in the first few seasons, so I'm pretty sure Mr. Stewart could have made Flint sound at least somewhat the same. I just don't think he tries as hard/cares as much anymore. Which is a real shame because he used to be a very good voice actor IMO.
    Last edited by Heracross; 9th June 2005 at 2:59 AM.
    ~

So by cutting out the scene where Takeshi gets rid of his pokemon, 4Kids essentially screws up the entire purpose of this episode. Great job guys -_-

From what I'm hearing about this series, I wouldn't be surprised if they got the One Piece team to do the work on these specials instead of the regular dubbing team.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

I thought the whole point of the episode was for him to settle his family troubles, not to dump his pokemon off.
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

But that was really more of a side plot. The more important thing is that he left his pokémon with Jiroo and gave him control of the gym. In the whole grand scheme of things, I'd say that's a more important event than solving some family problems.
    ~

Eh, not to me. Perhaps that it was done, but it could have been done over computer. He went back to solve the family problem.

IceAngelChris Guest

Hi,....I'm Really needing to know..I was wanting to create a new post about the episode but it's i can't make posts yet...So i must ask one of you to ....

This is my fav. ep. in the entire series and nothing will ever replace it. I can't remember the name of the ep. but i will tell you one thing i Love the most about it. The Ancient Alakazam Versus an Ancient Gengar. I want to someday Catch this Alakazam, this Ancient Pokemon is as just as rare to me as any Latias and others.......
    But someone try and post a topic just for the ep. since this was a mind blowing episode.

There's already a thread for the discussion of that episode. I suggest you look around next time before randomly posting in whatever thread you happen to be in. >_>
    ~

Maybe 4kids want us to believe that Brock still has his Crobat and Geodude in Hoenn, he just never lets them out of their Pokeballs.

If that was 4kids' intention in cutting that scene that would crack me up.

Here's hoping they don't butcher the scene in the Misty episode where she's drowning, you just know they'll shorten that. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Heracross
    But that was really more of a side plot. The more important thing is that he left his pokémon with Jiroo and gave him control of the gym. In the whole grand scheme of things, I'd say that's a more important event than solving some family problems.
    In the dub Forrest decided he wanted to go travelling to become a Trainer, and Brock left his parents in charge of the gym, so that plot section was disrupted too.

IIRC, Takeshi AND Brock say he left them all but Forretress behind at home when he makes his appearance in AG.

Problem is..WHY did they find it necessary to cut it out? I'd say this is about as bad as the Raikou special, except this isn't exactly three episodes long.

And I'm starting to think Dogasu may be onto something about the One Piece group possibly being in charge.

Oh yeah, and IIRC, if Eric Stuart was Flint's original VA, didn't he use a very deep and monotone version of his Seto Kaiba voice? o_O; Cause if so, he could've easily done it again. Then again, I can't be too sure since it's been ages since I saw the dub.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

IceAngelChris Guest

Thanks..Sorry about that though....I'm new to the place and this forum is confusing..I'm rather good navigating but this is kinda hard to tell where to post or not.....thank you again.....

Hmmm..........4Kids are actually starting to do better jobs in some aspects of the normal episodes, so I am going with Dogasu's theory. The One Piece team was assigned to this..

Forester? Wasn't that the name of those twins in the Wurmple episode? I thought Jared woulkd be more suited for Jiroo.

No Crobat. Aww!

It looks like there's a misconception about the Japanese version I need to correct.

Takeshi did NOT leave Jirou in charge of the Gym. Jirou wants to be Gym Leader eventually, after he's had some time to gain experience as a trainer. Takeshi left his pokemon to help teach Jirou what he needs to know about battling. (After all, he certainly can't count on the current Gym Leader for guidance.)

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

erm, I've never seen one pice.. so could someone tell me why you think they are the ones put on to this?
    Black - JP
    FC: 1848 9979 6673 Trainer name: Billy IDNo: 65021
    White - UK
    FC: 2537 2960 7121 Trainer name: Bella IDNo: 62467
    White2 - JP
    FC: 0819 9968 5972 Trainer name: Benny IDNo: 39588
    Black2 - UK
    FC: 4170 2407 1321 Trainer name: Britney IDNo: 09957

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiro
    I thought Jared woulkd be more suited for Jiroo.
    My money was on Jasper, myself. Although on the other hand, they *did* remember that they didn't use any rock puns when they named the kids in the original ep.

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd
    It looks like there's a misconception about the Japanese version I need to correct.

Takeshi did NOT leave Jirou in charge of the Gym. Jirou wants to be Gym Leader eventually, after he's had some time to gain experience as a trainer. Takeshi left his pokemon to help teach Jirou what he needs to know about battling. (After all, he certainly can't count on the current Gym Leader for guidance.)
    Oops, looks like I've contributed to all the pesky misinformation flying around in the web. :s Thanks for clearing that one up.

And poke_girl, I haven't seen One Piece either, but from what I've heard it sounds like a rather mediocre dub, so it fits pretty well with what we've been hearing about these specials.
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by poke_girl
    erm, I've never seen one pice.. so could someone tell me why you think they are the ones put on to this?
    Evidently, it's far enough away from the original episodes to make "Pokémon the First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back" look like a minor rewrite. I've heard that they use digital paint edits in almost every episode and the writing is awful.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

The only plus probably to One Piece dub is they have kept like almost everybody's original name (Minor edits, like Zorro to Zolo and Gin to Ghin).

BTW, did Mantine and Onix keep their original voices like they always have?

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiro
    BTW, did Mantine and Onix keep their original voices like they always have?
    Yeah, they both did, though Mantine's name was constanly mispronounced.

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd
    Give the dub credit for that then. That was exactly what was interpreted in the the English version. Just a shame he said only Onix would help teach him, as oppose to Crobat and Geodude whose appearances were edited out. Although that might just be a time cut from Toonami itself, DVD comes out in a couple of days, we'll find our answer then.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast