Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: A Family That Battles Together, Stays Together! (005)

Very nice episode it's nice to see Brock's entire family, I thin Brock get all his energy for chasing girls from his mothers side. Also it's interesting to note thatt all of Brock's brothers and sisters have the Squinty eyes thing like Brock and his father none of them have the open eyes like their mother.
    My Grandmother always said...
    "She who walks the path of heaven will rule over everything"

Mana (4914-3452-1470) (X)
    Gyarados, Octillary, and Azumarill

Isn't Brock's mom supposed to be like, dead?
    Crystal's PokePet

Moonlight the level 30 Shiny Umbreon!
    Thanks Wig for the trainer card! Thanks Ayra for the banner! You guys rock!!!

This episode was good as you got to learn more about brock
    HeartGold

where can i watch this episode?

o and how do do you higher your poke rank in these fourms? please help i am new

Oh man, I love this episode, especially Brocks brother Forrest, he's awesome...The person I REAAALLY Hate is Lola, I think she's annoying. Does anyone else think Brock's brother Salvador (or as I call him, Bobby.) is played by Scott McCord?
    "Brian, What's that Blue planet Called?" "The Yellow one is the Sun!" ~ Brian Reagen, best comedian ever!

The really strange part about this episode is Brock's mom. Is she a zombie or anything? because if I am right I presume that she is already dead as said by Flint?

It was nice though, making Pewter a water gym.

Credit goes to DEXTER for this funny fanart?!

Quote Originally Posted by aquajet16 View Post
    The really strange part about this episode is Brock's mom. Is she a zombie or anything? because if I am right I presume that she is already dead as said by Flint?

It was nice though, making Pewter a water gym.

Okay, first of all, it was a dub error, as a lot of people said. Pewter City + Water gym = Not a good pair. Sorry if it sounds mean.

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightFacade View Post
    -Not a bad episode, but I must ask why they cut out Geodude, Crobat, and Forretress. That was the worst aspect of this episode.
    -I don't know why Brock wouldn't compromise with Lola. What would be the big deal with having two types in the gym. He seemed to yell at his mom a lot in this episode. :P
    -"Man-Teen" and "Smea-Gull"!!?? Geez, those dubbers really need to pronounce the Pokemon names right.

Anyways I'll give this episode a 6.5/10....I had to take a few points off for the edits.
    I think they might've done THAT on purpose.
    Last edited by Dragonfire117; 2nd May 2008 at 1:59 PM.
    "Brian, What's that Blue planet Called?" "The Yellow one is the Sun!" ~ Brian Reagen, best comedian ever!

Nice ep. I liked how you got to learn more about Brock's past. Also, this is the ep where he gets the jacket he looks best in, in my opinion. Forrest is, to me, a very likeable character. Almost like a younger Kenta in some ways. The dub edits were annoying, though.

I'm glad that Brock won, because having Pewter gym as a water gym would just be pointless, since there is already the Cerulean gym.

Also the decorations were stupid, it made the gym look like a joke.

Credit to Mr. Joker for the Glee banner
    Credit to Skiyomi for the lovely Blue Snover banner

If anyone is interested in a custom ribbon for your profile pic, be sure to check out Ayra's sprite thread in the fanart section, if you want to take a look at her work have a look at my profile.

I loved this episode. I definitely agree with Brock, why on earth would we want two Water-type gyms one of which was half-Rock-type! Pokémon Chronicles were great, I'd love to see a newer series.
    this hope is treacherous, this daydream is dangerous.
    ~I've claimed Turtwig~

One of my favorite Episodes. Brock's angry type is cracks me up. And the reactions of Flint and Brock is perfect . I see clearly now where is Brock's easy-going personality came from. Flint is just alike Brock ( not for the all womans but only his wife , well thats cool ) but not as skilled as Brock when it comes to Gym leadership.

Rock-Water Gym ? come on , that gym will be crushed by a Gyrados even if something like that happend. I understand Lola but she must accept a Gym how is it like. And Forrest will become much skilled Gym Leader then his father ( by looking his reactions )

Anyway that episode answers a lot of questions about Brock ( especially why he follow Ash in hoenn ) Onix's leave is a little sad but it evolve in there and thats a good thing.Maybe they can do something like that when how Brock decide to go Sinnoh (is it a family thing again or just for the Breeder thing ? )
    Pokemon Fan who born from its ''Ashes''

I thought this was a good episode. I was extremely disappointed to see what Brock's mother, Lola, did to the Pewter City Gym. I thought it was a horrible idea to turn it into a water type gym since there is already one in Cerulean City. I really liked how Brock talked to Forrest about overcoming weaknesses by describing his battle with Ash. I thought Brock battled fantasticly against his mother in order to reclaim the gym as rock type. It is sad that Brock decided to leave his Onix with Forrest, but I know Forrest will make a great gym leader someday. I also like that Brock recieved new clothes and is now heading to Hoenn to rejoin Ash.
    I <3 May.

I do not do competitive battling and I really do not have any desire to. I also do not go out of my way seeking for shinies because I never really understood why they were so great anyways. All I truely enjoy pokemon contests, breeding, and in-game battling.

I think grass pokemon are the greatest ever and I take great pride in the ones I have raised. I also think that Chikorita is the most adorable pokemon ever!

If you would like to know me send me a message. I'm not shy(:

Brock DID NOT like what she did to the gym. He really showed her lol.
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

Great ep. my favorite chronicle.

Brock used Ash's strategy vs his mother. Onix was amazing vs the water type poke

9/10
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

I like this episode because for once Brock is obligated to be the star, and he gets the job done when he is not just in the background supporting his friends! Has a personality.

It was a terrible idea to turn the Pewter gym in a water gym, why did she do that! I mean the nearby city of Cerulean has a water gym as well, why she would want another so close?

Her mother has a good variety of water pokemon though, the whole situation made Brock really mad!

Oh Flint used earthquake! Maybe he stands a chance? Oh no wait, he is still useless :/ poor Golem.

Brock was great, he overcome all the disadvantages of fighting Mantine with Onix in that place.
    Kotone Lyra is awesome kotto ne?!

Nice Brock episode, and nice to see what he does between these regions when he leaves Ash. I am glad it stayed a rock gym instead of water considering Misty has one herself. Good episode, Onix is quite strong and can jump into the water to dig.
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

This episode is very funny! I'm glad Brock showed her, and won the battle against his mom. Man the gym looks ugly now... Forrest is definitely going to become a great trainer. It was funny to see Golem being forced into the water because of Surf, forcing a rescue from Blastoise.

50/100

This was really funny! I prefer Water types over Rock types and I like Lola's Pokemon (I really like Mantine), but still great that Brock defeated his mother, I think the Pewter Gym has to be a Rock gym, and there's already a Water gym in Kanto (Cerulean City). 10/10.

Wow, this was one of my favorite episodes ever. Brock's mom was pretty funny, especially when she and the dad got all lovey-dovey. XD Also, I loved the line, "Sounds like you're a chip off the ol' Brock." Punny, and I'm glad to see Brock's brother is a lot like him. Awesome episode overall.
    ~ * My Photobucket Album * ~

Thousands of screencaps of Pokémon, Toradora!, Shugo Chara!, Clannad, K-ON!, and many other anime.
    Use them however you want!

~ * GoodSearch * ~

Search engine that donates a penny to the charity of your choosing every time you do a search. Spread the word, help the world!

Click here to read my one and only Pokemon fanfic! I hope you enjoy it!

I only post on Serebii sporadically, just so you know.

This episode was really hilarious in some ways. I liked the battle with Flint versus Lola and poor Golem. I also loved the how shocked Brock was finding out what happened with the Gym and Forrest was hilarious too " Talk about the girls!" That made my day. The battle between Lola and Brock was even better and I liked how we saw the last battle with Onix before Brock left for Hoenn. Although, I didn't like how 4KIDS decided to cut the last part with leaving his Pokémon at the Pewter City Gym.

What I thought about after this episode was "why couldn't they have a gym that handled 2 types?" Granted Kanto already has a water gym, but still. And I loved the fact that all of brock's siblings had the same closed eyes that he does.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Geez, I was surprised to see what Brock's mother, Lola, did to the Pewter City Gym.....she turned it into a Water-type Gym from a Rock-type Gym! Since there's already a water-type in Cerulean City, it's a stupid idea to turn the Pewter City gym into a water- type Gym. There's no need for another water-type Gym in Kanto.

The battle between Brock and Lola was good, I liked how he won the battle by beating her water Pokémon and reclaimed the Pewter Gym as a rock-type gym again.
    Brock's Pokémon did great in this special, too bad Brock decided to leave his Onix with Forrest at the end of the spacial.

Overall, this was a good spacial, I liked seeing Brock and his family again. It's good see Brock receving new cloths before heading to Hoenn.
    Pokémon XY

Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by DaDonYordel View Post
    Are we not just silly people writing silly complaints on this message board?

After all this time, I have decided to watch Chronicles. Similar to the Kanto episode discussions, I feel like putting down my thoughts as I watch the series, helps that for the most part, it's the first time I've watched the episodes as I never had cable.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I might as well leave a couple of sentences regarding this. Like every other '90s kid out there, I believed Brock's mom was dead. So imagine my surprise and confusion when I learned about this back in 2006, and had no idea what had happened. I won't lie in that I was a bit of a gullible kid, so I had never given 4KIDS' edits and dub changes the benefit of a doubt until I was in high school and used the Internet more. I don't think I can truly blame 4KIDS for saying Brock's mother was dead as I honestly doubt anyone knew Brock's family was going to make a return. So it caused a bit of a snarl in the dub—I have no qualms about it now that I know the truth. What can you do?

Honestly, I'm glad I got to see more of Brock's family. The last time I remember ever seeing them (chronologically) was back in episode five of the original series, though I think they were mentioned very briefly in an Advanced Generation episode. I think it's charming to see all of Brock's siblings together and just how unique they are. We don't spend enough time with them to learn about them as characters, but at a glance, you know they have their own personalities, and I would love to see that more. I guess this desire stems from the fact I come from a large family myself, and I am the oldest of six children, though I don't relate to Brock whatsoever outside of that. Forrest is really the only one of the siblings with whom we get to know a little bit more of, and from what I've gathered, he looks up to Brock a lot, and admires the role of a gym leader. I think he was one of the few speaking roles Brock's siblings had in the original series when they crowded around Ash to stop him from ordering the final blow on Onix. I think Brock allowing Forrest to train Onix in his place for a while was the best choice, almost like he was passing the torch. And considering that now Brock has decided to become a doctor instead of a breeder now like he had wanted, it has a more deeper meaning than before.

Then again, I could just be looking too deep into it, seeing as this is one of the few times we actually see some character development with Brock.

I'm a bit curious if Brock can name everyone off in the same manner as Stephen Colbert, though.

It's nice to see more of Flint. He hasn't really changed since episode five, but we got a bit more of a personality from him since Lola is there with him. He comes off as a henpecked husband at times, as he was unable to convince his wife to not change the Pewter gym, and was willing to compromise with her for a dual-type gym—which I have to wonder if they really can do that. You would think Lola would know there's already a Water-type gym in the next city, so she would be unable to change the gym as such. And even so, I think they have to take it up to the League when they make changes. Jasmine is the only gym leader I know of who's known to have changed her gym, though hers made more sense, as she had a Pokémon who became a Steel-type and was at least not using a type someone else was authorized for. So even if Lola had gotten her way, I don't think she would've kept it for very long. And given her personality, I don't think she would have opposed of the rejection.

Speaking of Lola, I was a bit surprised at how much I was neutral towards her, while also coming to warm up to her. Yes, she may have left her family to her eldest's care to pursue an interest she felt like pursuing at the moment, probably knowing full-well her husband was gone on his journey, but I think she cares about her family. Maybe not to the point where she's doting on a child or two, or having a family meeting to get her children's opinions, but I don't think she's a dead-beat mother in the slightest. She comes off as a bit eccentric, always willing to do new things. And that's fine, though I'm a bit surprised she was able to find new hobbies all the time when she has a big family. Especially since there's a pair of twins, and they happen to be the youngest, so I imagine they're the more rowdy of the children. Even so, I can see why it is she and Flint are still together after all that's happened. I guess it's no surprise where Brock's interest in women comes from, it doesn't seem to be an uncommon occurrence for Flint and Lola to be lovey-dovey around each other. I mean, they had ten children together, for heaven's sake, and the twins appear to be toddlers. Though I'm actually a bit amused at how Lola looks really good for someone who's had nine pregnancies.

Delia wishes she could look this good.

Outside of the flirting, the battles got the most giggles out of me, if only because the interactions between Lola and both Flint and Brock were amusing. They're good strategic battles, albeit short, but I think it's great to see just how the battles seem to straddle the line between “competitively” and “just for fun”, given as it's between family members. It's not often we get a Pokémon battle between two family members, though considering this was for the future of the gym, it's a bit understandable. It would've been easier and more logical to have a family meeting, but I guess in the Pokémon world, most disputes are resolved over a Pokémon battle if the both of them are trainers. I think my favorite scene in this special was watching Golem struggling to balance on a small piece of protruding rock, it adds to the silliness of the scene. Meanwhile, I think Brock and Lola's battle is the more clever. Which was the point, after all, as Brock wanted to show that regardless of type disadvantages, a master knows how to overcome all obstacles in their path. Having Onix use Dig to drain the water from the field is smart, and since Mantine is a dual type, in a way, draining the water gave a better balance, even if the odds are skewed slightly in favor of the one Pokémon than the other. There really was no way Onix would've survived in that particular water field, after all, and it wasn't against the rules to change the playing field.

So overall, I actually liked this episode for what it was. Even though it shows what Brock did before he left for Hoenn, the heart of it dealt with his family, even if the majority of it dealt with a dispute over the gym and Brock was more irritated toward his parents than not. (Though can you really blame him?) It's a breath of fresh air when it comes to Pokémon episodes, as it's really not often these kinds of episodes come around. It's welcoming to take a peek at Brock's home life for twenty minutes without Ash and the others, and I wish there were more episodes like that. Heck, I wouldn't even mind an entire episode revolving around Ash's own home life without having to deal with Team Rocket, Pokémon training, and talking about going on another journey. Then again, I love it when characters spend some time with their families, as it gives more of an insight with the characters to see them in a more native, comfortable environment. But though I do like the idea of Pokémon Chronicles, it looks like episodes like this are very few to begin with, so I might as well take what I can get.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 22nd September 2014 at 2:50 AM.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456