Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Cerulean Blue! (006)

Good episode, it was nice to see where Misty's fear of Gyarados came from. Now all we need is where did her fear of bugs come from if there is a story behind it.

I wonder who's Gym that was in the beginning on the TV? It makes me think it kinda looked like a Grass type gym, maybe Erika got shut down? (Perhaps her girls kept banning male trainers or female for that matter battling just because they don't care about perfume and got it shut down).

Anyways good for Misty to tame Gyarados and for it to save her at the end. Although with what Hitmonchan did I am pretty sure some trainers including either Ash or a gym leader has done that before, so I am not sure if that should have been illegal.
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

This episode was good. I could tell as the episode went on, that Nurse Joy was actually a PIA agent. It was great to see Misty finally overcome her fear of Gyrados, and Gyrados saving her and helping her out. Those brothers are real jerks... breaking rules, purposely harming Pokemon and Misty.

60/100

I really like this episode. It was good to see Misty overcome her fear of Gyarados, and how Nurse Joy was a referee against the thugs was nice, letting Misty get an easy and deserved win. Misty is an awesome character and this episode is awesome! I'm so happy the Internet exists, which allows me to watch Pokemon Chronicles episodes! 10/10!

EDIT 3 JUNE 2012, AFTER REWATCHING
    - It was cute to see Misty as a mermaid again!
    - When Misty let those Tentacruel hit her to protect Gyarados, I cried. Misty really loves Water Pokemon.
    - Misty hugging Gyarados at the end was cute!
    Last edited by AquaMilotic; 3rd June 2012 at 12:49 PM.

This episode was great and just that Misty was the point of this entire episode was great. I think it was really well done how Misty won the trust and her fear over Gyrados and how she used it against those three scums. I also enjoying seeing all of Misty's and the Cerulean city's Water-Pokemon. Good chronicle episode indeed.

Great episode.
    loved the backstory with gyrados, and come to think of it, that last battle would have been perfectly legal in pokemon black and white with the addition of triple battles. So that trio of brothers really shouldn't have been disqualified.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

It was a decent episode, Misty got some development by overcoming her fear of Gyarados and getting the one in the gym under her control. I thought the battle was horrible though, it just seemed to be like some kind of stand up comedic routine and not a serious battle like it sounded like it was going to be, and it was too rushed imo with 1 hit kos being handed out everywhere. Also I don't like it that the trio brothers acted like the Team Rocket trio to a T, we don't need anymore of that imo -_-
    I give it a 6/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn+Serena Fan View Post
    I thought the battle was horrible though, it just seemed to be like some kind of stand up comedic routine and not a serious battle like it sounded like it was going to be, and it was too rushed imo with 1 hit kos being handed out everywhere. Also I don't like it that the trio brothers acted like the Team Rocket trio to a T, we don't need anymore of that imo -_-
    I give it a 6/10
    Really? Maybe in the dub, because I recall that in the Japanese version, the scenes were taken more seriously, and that's not even considering the fact that Tentacruel fired poison stings at Kasumi continuously. The brother trio looked more threatening than just the Rocket Trio if you ask me.

Not as good as the last, I'm afraid. And it's a shame because this is Misty, she should have had an awesome moment. In a way, sure, what she's done is to be expected from her, but I feel like more should've been done about it.

Until after the episode ended, I thought it had been such a long time that I couldn't recall when Misty got the Gyarados, but apparently it had evolved off-screen sometime prior to the episode, and it wasn't stated that Misty's sisters were present when it evolved. It's probably because no one it trusted was around that it went on a small rage in the gym, but even that wasn't explained as to why it happened. Guess the episode needed some kind of conflict. Yet that's more of a B-plot, because the A-plot is the threat of the PIA inspectors shutting down Cerulean Gym, the two plots were just closely introduced and present throughout the episode.

In terms of the B-plot, I find it a bit lazy. Yes, we understand and can clearly see Gyarados are hard to train, so the problems are legitimate. But then Misty says out of the blue that she's afraid of Gyarados because of a childhood trauma with one. Gee, doesn't that sound suspiciously similar to May's background with Pokémon? And why bother to bring this up for Misty when she clearly doesn't show signs that she's afraid of Gyarados? Yeah, everyone shows their fear differently, but I don't see it here at all. One can make the assumption that based on her reaction to the Gyarados back in episode 16 she's scared of them, but in that kind of situation they were in, it makes perfect sense to be scared. Gyarados here doesn't really do anything outside of throwing a fit in the pool for whatever reason, and it didn't bother to try to break out of the cage until Misty nearly drowned.

Speaking of drowning, how is Misty able to talk underwater without her rebreather? It's not like the mermaid costume gives her powers to speak underwater, “The Misty Mermaid” showed this. Of course, physics decide to suddenly take over and she nearly drowns—twice, but the first is more of a half-assed attempt to backpedal and go “No wait, she can't breathe underwater even though logically she can't talk underwater if she can't breathe.” But that's more of a personal nitpick than anything, even though I'm not the only one who's noticed.

Actually, on the subject of talking, the voice-acting bothered me in this episode. One of the biggest complaints I hear about Chronicles is how bad the dub is throughout the series. I don't know why it's not as strong as it is in the main series, but from what I do recall from the Johto episodes, the voice-acting had a peg knocked down compared to the previous seasons; I noticed it more with Misty than anyone else, however. One could say that ever since Togepi was introduced, Misty became a softer person in personality, and that makes sense. She had a temper during the original series that eventually had a cooling period after Togepi hatched. Thus, her voice got softer, and that has personally made me squirm a bit. It could be because I wear headphones while watching the episodes, and thus I had never noticed it through the television, but Rachel Lillis as Misty almost always sounds like (when she's not shouting something) she's talking all quiet close to the microphone without sounding like she's whispering. It's there during the original season, but it got more noticeable by Johto, and I have some personal issues with that. That's all me, it's not her fault. But in this episode, she had some awkward line readings that while she's not the worst voice in the episode, she's just mediocre. The Invincible Pokémon Brothers are bad (both in voice-acting and as characters, God I hate them even though I don't remember them in the main series very much), but the extras from the beginning who were watching the gym were the worst deliverances in this episode, though mercifully they weren't on-screen very long.

Returning back to the episode, after all the pointlessness was out of the way and we get a Pokémon match against the Invincible Pokémon Brothers, during it, I had a bit of a “what the hell?” moment when Hitmonchan was sent out on the field. There's nothing wrong with it, but why would Kim send it out underwater when there's clearly mats on the water's surface? Is the guy neglectful to his Pokémon that much, or is he really just an idiot? It's hard to tell sometimes. I honestly doubt he had planned that as part of the sabotage, even if they're some of the more irritating bastards I've seen in fiction. But I couldn't help but giggle at how water physics caused Corsola's Tackle to come off as really slow. Sure, maybe it would've looked faster if it was a Take Down or something, but it's unintentionally hilarious just how Corsola just floats along after we get what I presume is an “imagine spot” complete with speed lines signifying that there is speed.

There's a problem when Sonic can run faster underwater than you.

I honestly feel like there should've been something else Misty could've done to gain Gyarados' trust. Ignoring how (possibly) cliché it is in the Pokémon-verse to have a character shield a Pokémon from an attack, was it exactly necessary for Misty to jump in and take the blow of Poison Sting? She could've still had her Pokémon help keep the Tentacruel busy so she could try and get Gyarados out of there. I don't know, that part baffles me more than it makes me roll my eyes at.

And I suppose Nurse Joy being a PIA investigator makes sense (even if the twist feels a bit cheap), and this is the second Joy we've seen who's of the PIA up to this point, but I don't think every Joy goes out of their way to become one. I don't have a problem with it, I just don't care for this particular Joy. Usually, every single Joy has some personality to them, but Joy here was bland to me, almost generic. More of a personal nitpick than anything else.

This is more like wishful thinking, but I really do wish this episode was all about Misty training Gyarados, like seriously training it. What little training we got was fine (albeit a bit... silly), it just wasn't enough. I don't really see why the Invincible Pokémon Brothers were really needed, the threat of the gym being closed was enough since one of the things they mentioned they close gyms down for is a hazardous environment (so how did Koga's gym get approved of, exactly?), and an untrained Gyarados is a hazard. We could've also explored Misty's fear a bit more, if it was really a thing for her, and thus her having to stand up to her fears would be the key to gaining Gyarados' respect. I don't see how it wouldn't have worked, but alas, the end result we got just overall disappointed me. It's nice to see Misty back at the gym, she just didn't really do anything worth writing home about, figuratively-speaking.

Oh well.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    In terms of the B-plot, I find it a bit lazy. Yes, we understand and can clearly see Gyarados are hard to train, so the problems are legitimate. But then Misty says out of the blue that she's afraid of Gyarados because of a childhood trauma with one. Gee, doesn't that sound suspiciously similar to May's background with Pokémon? And why bother to bring this up for Misty when she clearly doesn't show signs that she's afraid of Gyarados? Yeah, everyone shows their fear differently, but I don't see it here at all. One can make the assumption that based on her reaction to the Gyarados back in episode 16 she's scared of them, but in that kind of situation they were in, it makes perfect sense to be scared.
    I wouldn't call that lazy writing, becaue it was during Original series brought up quite a few times how Gyarados is among water pokemon Misty dislikes and cannot stand. Misty fear from Gyarados was consecutively showed through whole 5 seasons she was in. Whether it was when they escaped from enraged Gyarados after St. Anne ship was sunk, when they met Red Gyarados, when she faced Trinity Gyarados etc. In fact several times in anime Misty stated how only water pokemon she is afraid of was Gyarados.

In chronicles when gym was in danger of being closed down she learned how to reach to his heart and understand feelings earning his thrust and respect. Getting over that fear was significant to Misty in my opinion because it gave needed muscle to her team, doing notable step forward as water trainer being testament to her strength and independence.
    Prior to that she couldn't even stand thought of coming close to it being her childhood trauma when she almost got eaten by one as baby with this fear following hr for whole life until she had to confront it and pass PIA test.

Actually, on the subject of talking, the voice-acting bothered me in this episode. One of the biggest complaints I hear about Chronicles is how bad the dub is throughout the series. I don't know why it's not as strong as it is in the main series, but from what I do recall from the Johto episodes, the voice-acting had a peg knocked down compared to the previous seasons; I noticed it more with Misty than anyone else, however. One could say that ever since Togepi was introduced, Misty became a softer person in personality, and that makes sense. She had a temper during the original series that eventually had a cooling period after Togepi hatched. Thus, her voice got softer, and that has personally made me squirm a bit.
    Personally i guess im one of those who had no qualms over Misty voice being abit softer in comparison to Kanto days perse. We all know Misty matured in personality becoming more open minded and tolerant over time, so reducing on violent, rude aspect of character made sense going in line with development she went through.

Although if your looking for more fervent voice, in Japan version Misty sounded more fiery.

That said i still enjoyed in Misty having her attitude, hotheaded nature and competitive tomboyish spark followed with more independent, prideful side of her showing up which came to expression in feeling sense of selfaccomplishment after passing test and in interaction with brother trio not letting them to mess up with her. Which brought new enjoyable light on her characterization abd mix if older and new traits which flourished to wider degree later in chronicles.

It's nice to see Misty back at the gym, she just didn't really do anything worth writing home about, figuratively-speaking.

Oh well.
    She saved gym, obtained Gyarados and overcome her childhood trauma. I view that as relevant and worthy to be mentioned.

EDIT:
    Personally i have to say i enjoyed in "Cerulean Blue" episode alot. In fact ill argue it was one of best episodes focusing on Misty and possibly among top three episodes in chronicles period.

Episode radiated with dramatic elements, lot of emotion and deeper dive in character personalities, fears and thoughts. Battles could have been better, but where this episode really thrived in my opinion was in adding more depth to Misty story and personality.

Giving us insight in her past and actual explanation behind having such aversion toward Gyarados to the point of being horrified by them, while once again showing how much Misty was neglected as child with sisters not doing especialy good care of her. Back in original series we only got to see Misty typical reaction of "aah its Gyarados" saying she cant stand them expressing fear. But this episode fleshed that aspect of Misty character to more significant degree. It showed to us history, struggling, how Misty in reality feels about this specia showing to be obstracle in becoming better water trainer and develop closer understanding of water pokemon. Which is essential for someone who wanted to become water master.

I also liked this episode alot because it was testament to Misty strength nd indepoendence as character realizing she doesnt need Ash and Brock on her side as back up in case something goes wrong generating enough confidence and determination to resolve danger on her own, being willing to go as far as risking her own life to protect him, regardless of being afraid and visibly struggling.

This episode showed how much Misty evolved as person and trainer during her travels with Ash. With his enthusiasm about pokemon, big persistence and determination in valuing their life and doing everything he can to help them out leaving influence on Misty. To the point of starting to admire and recognize this as positive trait after initial impression of seeing Ash heroic actions as reckless and fooliosh. She started to view world and pokemon in different light trying not to make difference between them based on personal prejudices, to the point of risking her life and safety to save them. With Gyarados crisis being first step forward.

Not to say how Misty wasnt strongwilled liking to take actions in her hands when traveling with Ash, but in "Cerulean Blues" she was for first time left on her own realizing there is no one to help her out if things go out of control, with Misty developing higher selfesteem and sense of bravery through this episode.

Uselfish and sacrificing act made Gyarados realize how she cares about him and despite her own formed prejudices developed by tragic incidents in past is wiling to help him out. Showing once again how huge Misty love and passion for water pokemon is being touching that she almost drowned and suffered so much to protect others.

Something i genuinely recognized and appreciated in here.

NOTE: Prior to Gyarados Misty never did such thing as taking hits from other pokemon and beating to protect another one, so this should be took in account too.

In end Misty was amazing for me in here. Radiating with new optimism and sttrength she found in herself, while having fire, sarcasm, timid side and passion as character in more mature light. Plot was enjoyable adding more meat to her past and story and i liked twist of fate present in here. Irony that out of all pokemon, it was Gyarados who became Misty powerhouse and one of her primary battlers from that point.

Because of history those two had together and all trouble and struggling Misty wentn through to develop thrust and love between her and Gyarados. I also think Misty would be most suitable candidate to promote its mega evolved iorm exploring more on bond between them learning how to reach closer level of understanding and bond to reach such step. Making big improvement as water trainer.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456