Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Showdown at the Oak Corral (008)

xD Medea's mad about that.So..Delia thought the love poem was for her?Hmm....

I liked this episode, but I hated the voice they gave to the Magikarp Salesmen
    and Cassidy (she sounded to sweet). I knew they were going to use the same Snorlax voice from the Winter Vacation episode for Ash's Snorlax, GOD I HATE THAT VOICE! It makes me cringe.

Uhh it only said "Lax".Eldershipping woah 0.o

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Judai Yuki
    Uhh it only said "Lax".Eldershipping woah 0.o
    Actually it made that snoring noise and then Lax, just like the ones in the Winter Vacation episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Judai Yuki
    xD Medea's mad about that.So..Delia thought the love poem was for her?Hmm....
    More dub-only crap.

Of all the Chronicles episodes I've seen, this is probably only second to Legend of Thunder dub-wise for the amount of screw-ups. Of course, I also thought this was a boring episode to begin with.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

I know what happened to the Magikarp Salesman's voice. One too many a dissatisfied customer punched him in the throat, that's what happened.
    animal crossing stuffs:
    Name: Stacey
    Town: Tangelo
    Fruit: Apples, Pears, Oranges, Cherries
    FC: 4597 3797 6086

Well this one is in Kanto.Maybe there's like 20 of them.

Well, I have to say the best part of this episode had to be seeing all of Ash's left-behind pokemon. Bayleef, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Noctowl, Snorlax, Muk, and all the others were great to see again. I'm glad we got to hear Totodile speak this time, unlike in "The Right Place at the Right Mime". I just love that Donald Duck voice. I liked how he watergunned Butch and Cassidy for fun until they started fighting back.

It was also good to see Butch and Cassidy again, and hear their motto (first time in three years!! (in U.S.)). I may like Jessie, James, and Meowth by far, but the other Team Rocket isn't half bad. I liked that they remembered Tracey already met the duo (it took me a few moments to remember). The battle was pretty good too. I also liked the nidoking going after Cassidy.

Of course, the worst part was the redubbed magickarp salesman. I love the MS, but MAN that was weird. Maybe we can write him off as an identical American cousin.

Overall, 8/10. I'm anxiously awaiting the sableye in the later B&C specials.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) NEW!! 10/11 NEW!! 10/14
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

^^Well we got about another month seeing as no Chronicles this Saturday.

-Judai

The Donald Duck voice was good on Totodile. XD I've always wondered what Totodiles voice was like. Although this is the first Chronicles episode I've ever seen. I just got cable last week and I always wondered when they aired it....I give this episode an 8/10....

~Aquatic

Quote Originally Posted by Riva
    -So good to see Bayleef again. Although now it kinda seems like it has a crush on Tracey.

How do ya figure that?
    Well she did follow Tracey for the entire episode and Tracey commented on how much of a pal it was. Although I am still a Chikoshipper. :P

Also perhaps there are more than one Salesman a la Joy and Jenny.

You know, this was the first episode of Chronicles I ever saw, and I must say I was disappointed. The Magikarp Salesman's voice was terrible, which is odd because he's played by Eric Stuart, who was in this episode. Then that whole thing with Oak trying to rhyme with the word Tauros. Give me a break. I'm a defender of the dub and all, but Chronicles was just painful to watch. At least all of Ash's Pokemon kept their voices, but it bugged me that Phanpy was nowhere to be found. Well, at least it got its redemption     Spoiler:- Spoiler:
    And I still have no idea what was up with that line about Bulbasaur.
    Last edited by PAK Man; 4th October 2006 at 5:01 AM. Reason: Fixing VA Error

I just saw it, and it's a pretty decent episode. It was nice to see Prof.Oak again...
    ·.·´Ż`·.·Forum Rules | Signature Rules | FAQ·.·´Ż`·.·

"I love you as the plant that never blooms / but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
    thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance, / risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body..."

(Pablo Neruda, Chilean Poet)

I've always enjoyed the episodes of where they show the pokemon on Oak's ranch, and it's always a nice treat to see Ash's Mom.
    My Grandmother always said...
    "She who walks the path of heaven will rule over everything"

Mana (4914-3452-1470) (X)
    Gyarados, Octillary, and Azumarill

has anyone reallized that the nidoqueen suit cassidy wore was the same one that was in the other chronicle, oaknapped? in oaknapped, it was a stuffed pokemon that really had cassidy in it and later had prof. oak in it!
    See me on YouTube! My user is Azurillkirby.

i love this episode, it was just interesting to watch xD and I Love Butch & Cassidy :P

PINK FRIDAY

It makes your ears BLEED

I really enjoyed this episode! Love totodile!
    HeartGold

OMG TRACEEEY. <333 *snaps out of it- almost* This ep really got me into Bayleef x Tracey... but if Bayleef doesn't want him there's always me. <33333 *shot* OK, enough of the fangirling over- *Tracey appears* SQUEEEEE! <333 *****acey fangirl mode] Nice idea, having Butch and Cassidy steal the Poké Balls. I love the eps where you get to see all the Pokémon at Oak's lab.

I liked this episode, because it showed that Professor Oak still had some skill as a trainer.

Credit to Mr. Joker for the Glee banner
    Credit to Skiyomi for the lovely Blue Snover banner

If anyone is interested in a custom ribbon for your profile pic, be sure to check out Ayra's sprite thread in the fanart section, if you want to take a look at her work have a look at my profile.

I really liked this episode. I thought it was neat how all of the pokemon at Professor Oak's lab worked together to catch Butch and Cassidy. I thought it pretty interesting to see Professor Oak battle with Ash's Bulbasaur, and Mrs. Ketchum battle with Mr. Mime. I thought it was funny when the Nidoking went to Cassidy because she was in a Nidoqueen suit. However, I could only imagine how hard it would be to be in the Golem suit having to be hunched over all the time.
    I <3 May.

I do not do competitive battling and I really do not have any desire to. I also do not go out of my way seeking for shinies because I never really understood why they were so great anyways. All I truely enjoy pokemon contests, breeding, and in-game battling.

I think grass pokemon are the greatest ever and I take great pride in the ones I have raised. I also think that Chikorita is the most adorable pokemon ever!

If you would like to know me send me a message. I'm not shy(:

It wasn't too much of a bad episode, better then some others really. The Nidoking trying to get Cassidy/Nidoqueen was funny, and of course Muk is gonna greet another Muk. I wonder if Phanpy was in one of those pokeballs. It was nice to see Delia battle which I don't think we seen her do before.
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

This episode was good. It was great seeing all the Pokemon working together to get rid of Cassidy and Butch. It was funny when Nidoking was making love to the fake Nidoqueen, and Muk flattening the fake robots that TR was in. Delia was really good at the battle in this episode.

60/100

This was really good. Nice to see the Magikarp Salesman! Cassidy and Butch had awesome Nidoqueen and Golem costumes. Seeing Bayleef was awesome, I love that Bayleef and some of Ash's other Pokemon! This was enjoyable, 10/10.

What I like the most about this episode was both the appearance of Butch and Cassidy and how previously captured Pokémon from Ash got some spotlight. You rarely see them again throughout the entire anime. Cassidy's new voice was surprisingly good, whereas the Magikarp Salesman was god awfully done. A nice chronicle episode in my opinion.

With all the hits and misses of Chronicles, there's a bit of a feeling that it was made for a few fans. For one thing, Ash is not a main character, so he'll only make cameos in person or through dialogue; that alone appeals to quite a bit of fans who don't like him. The other is that a number of side characters are popular, and fans like to add to their characters through fan fiction, fan art, or fan theories (if not a combination of all the above), so the series exists to showcase them. However, because it tends to be taken as non-canon, that makes it all feel like a gimmick, if you want to call it that.

For example, why bother to insert the Magikarp Salesman for a cameo if he's not going to contribute to the episode's plot? No, Professor Oak preaching that buying and selling Pokémon is wrong doesn't count. So what, did the episode just need a fake-out because that's kinda what we expect Team Rocket to pull? Did they just so happen to come up with a scenario for him, so they had to put him in? Seeing they did the fake-out a second time by having Delia and Mr. Mime show up mere seconds later, the entire scene felt rather pointless. That padding could've gone to something else, honestly.

In the meantime, Oak pretty much doesn't try to hide the fact that he's shirking on writing a research paper in favor of writing his poems. I don't know if he publishes them on the side or what, but he shouldn't have to pretend that he's busy working when he's not even doing what he's renowned for. Now upon looking it up, that's dub-only, which suggests to me that 4KIDS thought the idea of making Professor Oak senile was funny, which, you know, I don't mind. Considering the games hint at it too, I don't see why the dub shouldn't poke fun of him either in that regard, even though I think the original doesn't shy away from it either, but it's more sparingly used. I like Professor Oak, he's pretty fun to have on-screen, but as I think on this some more, I find this a bit sad, and Tracey pretty much has to put up with it every day. Though I guess he idolizes the professor too much to really care at this point, and maybe he likes his poems.

“I drew a blank, Tracey, what rhymes with 'senile'?”

I also just realized that this episode pretty much shares the same title with the Indigo Plateau episode, “Showdown at the Poké-Corral!” It could've just been lazy on the part of the dubbers in coming up with a title, but the conflict's the same. Both duos of Team Rocket have now attempted to steal from Professor Oak. At least the build up to that conflict is different, but we can pretend it's different because it's Cassidy and Butch who are doing it this time. So wait, it took them this long to realize Professor Oak has a lot of Pokémon on his hands? I know Butch and Cassidy don't bother with Jessie and James, so they probably never knew they had tried before if only because I guess the two never filed that report. Even so, Professor Oak is a well-known professor, one would think they would've made attempts to go after his lab, especially since he doesn't have an actual security. Well, even small facts like that would slip past the cracks, I suppose.

Speaking of Butch and Cassidy, it's great to see them again, it really is, especially when it's just the two of them. While Butch is still the same, Andi Whaley I thought sounded good as Cassidy, and was a nice replacement for Megan Hollingshead. However, they don't really act like how we usually see them, though I'm not sure if it's because of their dialogue or how they approached the plan, exactly. The few times we've seen them in the series, they were diabolical and cruel, there was no doubt about it. But here, while they do remain cruel, they just disguise themselves as a Nidoqueen and Golem, and they run into crazy antics involving the Pokémon. Despite how much they despise Jessie and James, they sure took a leaf out of their book, though I suppose it's common for Rocket members to be in disguise, but they're usually more careful with how they approach the disguises. Here, they were rather careless. If they wanted to blend in with the other Pokémon, they shouldn't have made contact with them, and/or stayed out of their sights.

Though I have to admit that the part with the Nidoking (which might've been Gary's Nidoking) was funny. Butch's dialogue snarking over it made it all the better, because he's pretty much watching his partner-in-crime getting advanced on by a Pokémon. It's as G-rated as it possibly can, but with classic lines such as “It thinks you're playing hard to get,” it starts to straddle the radar.

So from what I gathered, this is basically a “humans are almost useless” special for two-thirds of the episode, as it's mostly the Pokémon that were aware something was going on, and were messing with Butch and Cassidy (unintentionally, of course, though you never know with Totodile). Tracey at least helped when he was forced, but given how 4KIDS tended to treat Tracey at times, guess it was a bit of a godsend for him that he didn't do much in the episode. Hopefully he did more things in the other Chronicles episodes.

Now there's a pretty good battle at the end of the episode, even though it's mainly one-sided (villains in these situations rarely land a good blow). I think it's a good battle since Delia is involved. For someone who probably hadn't trained a Pokémon in years, she was good, even if battling skills run in the family, as she claimed. Mimey probably gets some training here and there when they're not doing housework to prevent from getting rusty, so it's really refreshing to see him battle for the first in a long time. Professor Oak made me raise a brow, though. Far as I know, Bulbasaur's not close to being one of his oldest companions as he hadn't been there that long. If Muk was there, his goopy heart would've ached at your statement. It's also nice to see Tracey's Scyther battle again despite its age.

Then there's that quick comment at the ending that I just have to point out and not because I'm a shipper. So... is the narrator an ElderShipper? Why exactly did the dubbers put such a thing in the script, even if it was just a throw-away line? Was it to give the “what rhymes with 'Tauros'” gag some closure? All of those PokéShipping hints they put into the show is more understandable, but ElderShipping was something I think the fans noticed first, I don't think the dub ever made mentions of it prior to this episode. Not that it matters to me, I never really cared too much for ElderShipping, it pretty much means nothing to me these days. There's still a few people who really like it, alright, that's fine, but this one felt like a gimmick, and kinda made it sound like Delia's a ditz than she really is.

I didn't think this was too bad of an episode, it sure was a step up from the last one. I'm just not too much of a fan of the antics involving the Pokémon outside of the Nidoking, especially since I would've liked to have seen Professor Oak do something besides write his “poetry”, or even more interactions with Delia. But for something that reminds me of “Showdown at the Poké-Corral!”, I thought it was fine, and I do look forward to seeing Butch and Cassidy show up some more, they're a rare treat. Hopefully they don't have the same problems as they did here, since I'm already starting to think this was done on purpose so as to make them seem like copy-paste replacements for Jessie, James and Meowth. But I shouldn't be keeping my expectations up that I'll be seeing Team Rocket's cruelty along the lines of “Legend of Thunder” in the rest of this series, or I'm going to end up disappointed.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123