Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky (023)

Default Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky (023)

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky

Teamed up with the Grovyle from the future, Piplup & Chimchar get sent to a far away land in search of the Time Gears. However, their trip proves to be as perilous as they could possibly imagine when they get attacked by Dusknoir and his band of Sableye. Will Chimchar, Piplup & Grovyle be able to fulfil their mission or will they be stopped by Dusknoir?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

I find the episode very thrilling, suspenseful, and moving. Anyways, who can forget Bidoof. Man, he just made the episode a whole lot better. Anyways, isn't it just me or did anyone feel a bit of shocked that the ominous cloud from beyond the guild seem frightening? Man, time itself was paralyzing the whole place! I wonder who will voice Dusknoir and Chatot. I could sound like Dusknoir if I put a lot of effort into my voice, to make it deep since he sounds like a serious dude. And a shame they just end it at the climax. I actually wanted to see Piplup disappear (no I don't hate him) and it would be great if there were ever a series like this that follows the game.

Piplup can't learn Water Gun and it was using Water Gun! (Unless if that's Hydro Pump) The special is awesome and seems better than in the games.

Ep pics are up. I apologise for the delay

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    Ep pics are up. I apologise for the delay
    Cool. Hey, quick question. Why is it that there's the time in the upper left hand corner? I noticed this with the pics from the last special as well. Is that always up during Pokemon Sunday?

Now being reposted!

I just fisihed watching the preview. I found out that it was Hydro Pump that Piplup was using. Are they going to show the Temporal Tower battle?? That was what I was waiting for! Either way, I did like the episode.

I just got done watching the episode in motion, and it looked fantastic. It was quite interesting to see what it looked like when time was fully going to stop; they never did show it in the game. I really wish it showed Piplup and Chimchar's battle with Primal Dialga, but it is just a promotional episode which did its job of making people want to play through to the end.

One thing I really liked was Primal Dialga's roar at the end. It added a nice touch to the end of the episode, plus it's one of the coolest anime cries I've heard next to Arceus and Palkia.

This will probably reach the U.S. in about a year or show up on DVD in a special edition DSi. I'm really looking forward to that and the release of Explorers of the Sky later this year.

On forum hiatus until NA release of Explorers of the Sky as of April 20th.

Are you ready?

I just finished watching it and I'm quite pleased.
    Nice mix of action and dialouge.

Dusknoir got a really good voice, as did Grovyle.
    I liked the montage at the beginging show Piplup, Chimchar, and Grovyle's adventure that we weren't able to see. The Energy Ball, Fire Spin, and Whirlpool combo was pretty neat too. And the watching the Guild getting frozen in time was a nice touch.
    I really hope they make another one showing the battle vs. Primal Dialga, but I won't my hopes up.

Overall: 8/10
    3DS Friend Code: 3609-1148-9481

RIP Original Y save file. Never using PokeBank again.

As I mentioned in one of the previous anime special topics, this is one of the reasons why we need an anime series outside the Ash/Pikachu adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleo View Post
    As I mentioned in one of the previous anime special topics, this is one of the reasons why we need an anime series outside the Ash/Pikachu adventure.
    I agree. The animation, writing, scenario, and story boarding teams are far too experienced and amazing at their craft to be shackled to Ash and his nonsensical plot/adventure and deserves to create animations with actual and interesting plots, not just the same recycled characters, jokes and scenarios.

This episode shows what the Pokémon anime should be and puts a standard episode to shame. I know the anime is for promotional purposes, but I really think the teams deserve more.

On forum hiatus until NA release of Explorers of the Sky as of April 20th.

Are you ready?

I agree. The animation, writing, scenario, and story boarding teams are far too experienced and amazing at their craft
    Let's not go too overboard. :/

As I'm mostly emotional as it comes to this kind of endings, I was... well, emotional. When I played the game and saw this scene, I had to stop playing because of it and I cried in the nights which followed. A week later (yes... a week :|) I was playing again and hoping that Grovyle would return. With this special, I had just some tears, but that's maybe I didn't understand a word from what they were saying (although I had an idea).

I don't know why, but this plot... the best ever made in my opinion. This is just the reason I want to know what happened to Grovyle. Let's hope they have the translation for the game done sooner than usual, I mean, it isn't that hard for them, the main story line is the same, just copy and paste ^^

Also, the clouds part are nicely done, the guild standing there together forever, waiting until the time begins to flow again...

I hope the new game will have a better ending for Grovyle than the anime special...
    Grovyle 4EVER!!

To be honest...I didn't really like it all that much.

I can live with the sudden drop of quality concerning the art style - Tamagawa must've been unavailable for this special (or just quit Pokémon altogether T__T) for some reason, so whatever. Surprised to see it wasn't Shimura, though. Looked quite a lot like her at first.

However, the script, as well as the entire composition of the episode, irritated me a bit.
    As someone who never played any MD game but the very first, jumping into the midst of late-game events had pretty much an in-your-face effect and it was hard to follow.

I mean, I could perfectly understand what was going on, but if one has absolutely no idea how things came to be the way they are, about the entire development of the plot, it's a bit difficult to suck it all up without questioning anything.

All in all, it felt like they tried too hard. The dialogue was crammed full with information, desperately trying to convey as much as possible to anyone who could have trouble following, so I had difficulty to actually feel anything while watching this.

I was distracted from the suspenseful battle with Dusknoir because I was busy working out all the info out from it - that it must have met the team before(?) and that it's trying to steal that stone-thing and what was up with that hole leading to the...future?

I was barely affected by the emotional part, as they were just talking way too much during the scene. On the one hand, I was glad for any piece of information I could get in order to comprehend the story, but on the other hand, it made the whole thing seem incredibly forced.

Drama that's shoved in your face is not really my thing; while this is Pokémon and we'll likely never see anything that could be described as subtle drama, it has rarely ever felt this "Hello this is sad"-like to me. My eyes stung for about two seconds when the talking had ceased for a moment and all we saw was a teary Grovyle, but that's it.

Not to imply that it was terrible - it really wasn't. I just thought the writers were in a unfortunate situaton, having so little time but trying to promote the game and make it seem exciting, dramatic and interesting all in one episode. It just didn't really work out in my eyes.

Still, I enjoyed listening to those awesome voices again. MD has a quite exquisite voice cast for some reason, and you really notice it when listening to the characters. Kappei Yamaguchi as Chimchar was win^1000, and Piplup was awesome as well. Wigglytuff was the one whose voice I loved most, though.

Run for your lives.

tumblr - livejournal

I liked it don't understand Japanese but I got the gist of what they were saying (I've got PMD time ) It would've been cool though to see the Dialga battle and Piplup disappear. (I don't have anything against Piplup it's just it'd of been cool to see that moment animeized) Anyway great special.

Name: Drainer
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

I've just seen the English subs on YouTube... well, almost the same as I thought they were saying.

But I have to admit, they should have made a few more episodes containing the rest of the story before this happens.

I hope the new game will have a better ending for Grovyle than the anime special...
    Grovyle 4EVER!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grovyle91 View Post
    I've just seen the English subs on YouTube... well, almost the same as I thought they were saying.

But I have to admit, they should have made a few more episodes containing the rest of the story before this happens.
    We could make a petition for a Mystery Dungeon anime based on the game and make it like Pokemon Chronicles, only on separate dates of the week. However, isn't it due to budget costs? The series is phenomenal to all and why can we just get another Pokemon series based on different games? Like Pokemon specials as in Ranger (without Ash or the gang) or maybe a Mystery Dungeon mini series.

BGM I've discovered thus far.
    0:01~0:35 Narrative Prelude
    0:36~0:52 Wigglytuff's Guild
    0:53~1:03 Time Paralysis spreads
    1:04~2:30 Pokemon MD: Explorers of the Sky beginning theme
    3:25~ Unfortunate Events/Darkness dwells (any other idea?)

I could be wrong on some
    Last edited by A_Merry_Snowrunt; 14th April 2009 at 3:23 AM. Reason: editing music.

Wow...just, wow.

LOL Grovyle knows Energy Ball, and the three came up with the elemental whirlpool attack was great
    Piplup can't learn Water Gun and it was using Water Gun! (Unless if that's Hydro Pump) The special is awesome and seems better than in the games.
    I think Piplup WAS using Hydro Pump 0.o

(I only seen the episode pics from serebii.net, I think Youtube deleted the videos since I can't find any on there >.<)

Surfing through the waves, diving deep into the sea,
    playing along the beach, having fun all day long.

Well, I saw the English subs on YouTube and downloaded it to my computer. I may repost them on YouTube if I see that they have taken it down.

I have to say, I liked this special. I would've really loved to see a mini-series made out of it, because it would be confusing for non-PMD players as to why Grovyle had joined up with Team PokeDance. Anyway, they seemed to have captured the powerful moments of the game well. They used the music extremely well here. The Hidden Land theme, Sacrifice...they did a really good job. I would love to see them use the music in the main series, however I would think there would be some issues since they weren't arranged by Shinji Miyazaki (at least I remember the last special they weren't, so I'm assuming that he didn't here).

All in all they did a good job. It's just a pity that they didn't branch this out into its own little series.

Now being reposted!

I can't wait for this to be dubbed, I love this episode!
    on a hiatus at the moment.

So, apparently the dub DVD of this will come with the game if you preorder it.

OFF TO AMAZON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Four Karen
    Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best.
    Take a step and I'm on my way. Gonna start all over again!

According to the Pocket Monsters website it says the special will air October 12th. Oh I wonder how Dusknoir sounds?

World Dub Premiere! I'm very surprised at this.

breathe it in, i'm gonna shine. it's my moment, i'm going to fly.

They need to stop doing this. I love the MD games, but they shouldn't be incorporated into the anime unless the writers plan to make them into their own series. Think about it: the last we saw of Piplup and Chimchar was when they first started and finished a mission to get a Gabite scale; now they have reached the Hidden Land and are taking on Dusknoir. Had I not played the games, I would be totally lost. There is a colossal hole in the story because they went from the first finished mission all the way up to the fight with Dusknoir. I might not have had as much of a problem with this if they also showed the fight with Dialga, but they stopped at the rainbow stoneship.
    Seriously, if they made this into its own spinoff series I would consider it a masterpiece, but they decided to jump to the finish line and leave all of us (who haven't played the game) wondering what could have been.
    FCs: 1564-3330-7308 (X) and 0361-6238-7128 (Y)
    Friend safari types: Fairy and Rock, respectively. PM me with your FC if you add me.

I've somewhat obsessively waited for this for quite some time... I did see the japanese episode on YouTube, and I'm quite impressed. They brought the action, the same characters, and some sadness.. I knew it was going to be another TBC thing where alot of fans like me would be stuck wanting more, then get tired of it...

But this episode managed to bring it's charm back. I just hope they kept Grovyle,Piplup, and Chimchar's voices the same... The guild members voices were awful IMO. I love the mystery dungeon games. And for all the people surprised about how they were simply getting a gabite scale and now heading to defeat primal dialga, remember, these episodes are meant to promote the games, and to encourage fans to finish it to the end.

This special somewhat made me join these forums. And it's been over a year since. Too bad the special will only come up once, so those without TiVoes and the Internet whom are fans of the Mystery Dungeon series better catch this. It's their first and only chance!

Technically what Pokemon USA is doing : If you have no clue what this is, catch the whole mystery dungeon beginning starting at 6:30PM on Cartoon Network, and go pick up the game afterwards.

(I feel like I just have written a review on this...)
    Last edited by PokemonMDTfan; 8th October 2009 at 4:13 PM.

Small pic made by me.
    With Every Black Knight

There's A White One Too!

Err...Or Silver..XD

I wish TPCI could create the Mystery Dungeon specials whereas the other animation team can just work on the anime itself. Though, that be kind of hard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast