Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Rivals, New Tricks (591)

This was cute. <3

-Barry is still hilarious, despite the fact that he hardly did anything. When he told Kenny to "Chill out", was I the only one thinking "Oh, like you have room to talk?"
    -Kenny was surprisingly enjoyable in this episode. He's been better, I guess...
    -James looks so awesome in that outfit. He needs to wear it more!
    -I LOVED Jessie's appeal, it just looks really fun! Dawn's was really pretty as well-I loved the ending. Kenny's..meh.
    -Was that an instrumental version of Hikari's Theme I heard in the background of her appeal?
    -OK, how did Ambipom beat a Haunter?
    -The final battle...meh. It wasn't awful, but it was OK. I semi enjoyed the ping pong part, even though we know what's coming next week.
    -Wow, Dawn has really gotten better about losing. She didn't even look that sad! *hugs her*

All in all, enjoyable. If anything, the animation was slightly off today, but it was still decent. Sort of looking forward to next week...

I claimed Skarmory!

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

Enjoyable episode. awn VS Kenny was very epic. Didn't Ambipom only get hit by the Drill Peck that made it faint? Meowth will probably be used in the Suiren Town Contest. Maybe it hates how Jessie is losing a lot.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

I was surprised by all the Ambipom foreshadowing in this episode, seeing as we all know what's coming next week. I thought they would do all that for next episode.

"My Popularity in the Pokemon Universe continues to shine like the Aura that is with me. A full-feature movie, 4 two-parter episodes from the Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos anime sagas, a 5-episode arc featuring my trainer Korrina, 3 appearances in the Smash Bros games and a Poke spokespearson for the Pokemon Trading Card commercials and the upcoming Pokken Fighters game. May I soon reach the fame that belongs to Pikachu"

3DS Friend code - 3007 9374 1244

Nice episode. I always enjoy the contest episodes. Dawn did okay, but I really wish Ambipom could have won this contest, especially since the next episode is the Ping-Pong one (and we all know whats gonna happen then).

Of course Dawn manages to defeat a Haunter with normal type moves (yes Charizard couldn't hit Dusklops with a fighting type move. Okay). I liked Jesse's appeal and seeing everyone dance was just great. I think if Jesse trained her Seviper more and it got better at battling, she could win some more contest. She does great in th eappeal stages, now all she has to do is learn how to battle better.

And in the end Kenny wins with one hit. Okay then.

8/10
    I've officially claimed Swampert!

Simply remarkable! (yes I am mimicking Mr. Contesta) Well, now we won't see Kenny till the next round and I'm looking forward to next week, even though I already know what's going to happen. Jun had an enjoyable time just watching the contests and didn't anyone notice Piplup missing his cape? Last but not least, the match with prinplup and amphipom reminded me of that deflect the orb battle from Zelda, only with bubble beams and tail/flippers to deflect it to the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Merry_Snowrunt View Post
    Simply remarkable! (yes I am mimicking Mr. Contesta) Well, now we won't see Kenny till the next round and I'm looking forward to next week, even though I already know what's going to happen. Jun had an enjoyable time just watching the contests and didn't anyone notice Piplup missing his cape? Last but not least, the match with prinplup and amphipom reminded me of that deflect the orb battle from Zelda, only with bubble beams and tail/flippers to deflect it to the other side.
    Yeah, I saw Piplup was missing his cape during that one short moment.

But hey, Ambipom and Prinplup playing ping pong bubblebeam style was great!

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

This episode was ok. Another decent filler IMO. Never was a big fan of contests (both anime and games) so I can't really say much.
    My First Ever Level 100 Team:
    My Current Level 100 Team: ;635; ;598;
    70% of the Serebii population uses ultra powerful legendaries(also known as ubers) in their teams.
    If you are one of the 30% that thinks outside the box
    and doesn't use ubers, copy and paste this into your signature! (^started by SapphireL!)

Episode was interesting. I liked Jessie's and Kenny's appeals. Battle between Ambipom and Prinplup was cool, too. It's just stupid they didn't used Mamoswine in appeal round, swine deserved more shine...

i liked the ping pong in the contest lol :P

-Lol at Ash, Barry, Empoleon, Pikachu, and Ambipom practicing ping-pong in perfect sync.
    -Music I've never heard in the background when Kenny and Dawn are talking. o.o Sounds vaguely familiar, but I'm sure I've never heard it before...
    -Ambipom's being used for both rounds, yay. I was getting tired of the Pachirisu/Piplup/Buneary sort of appeal. But then, we know why this is happening... =/
    -Mamoswine <3
    -Naw, I miss Ash and Aipom and the whole hat-stealing thing :'(
    -Mmm, I liked it more when Ash and co sat in the audience and watched, rather than their own special bay. Nobody else gets that. Plus, it just doesn't feel right.
    -Oooh, love the music playing at the very beginning of Jessie's appeal. <3 And the music when Mime Jr starts Teeter Dancing xD
    -Jessie's appeal was simple and effective. Enough said :3
    -Mmm, Kenny's appeal didn't have the "wow" factor. We already know Machoke is strong. =/
    -I love the instrumental version of Dawn's Theme used in the appeals <3
    -Dawn's appeal was alright, The end was okay, but the first half... meh.
    -To be honest, I'm really surprised that Dawn, Kenny, and Jessie made it to the second round. Their appeals were... meh. I've seen them all do alot better =/ Just my opinion, though...
    -Would've been nice if Jessie won for once. ._.
    -Dawn and Kenny in the finals; didn't see THAT one coming. /sarcasm
    -Double Team doesn't seem like the best contest move to me.
    -Ambipom's sure using alot of ping-pong moves. -foreboding-
    -Bahahaha. It's just ping-pong with Bubblebeam.
    -Wow, Kenny won with plenty of time and points. I'm so happy Kenny won against Dawn, and by such a large margin, too.
    -Meowth wants to compete in contests? o.o
    -Gotta admit, it was obvious Dawn wasn't going to win. I mean, Ash only has 6 badges at the moment and there's still a plethora of episodes to go.
    -Dawn's certainly taking losing alot better now. It's nice to see that she accepts she can't win everything...
    -Well it seems like Kenny's going to make it to the Grand Festival, at least they're even now.
    -Barry seems completely and utterly absorbed by ping-pong. xD

Certainly not my favourite contest episode, but bordering on one of my least favourite. =/
    The appeals weren't as good as previous appeals, and the battles were very short.

my pokémon ruby team since 2004 <3

currently playing pokémon platinum

This was a pretty good episode IMO.
    Nintendo 3DS FC: 2105-8824-8167
    PM me if you add me so I can add you

My Friend Safari (Water): Bibarel , Gyarados , Azumarill

Safaris I am looking for with these Pokemon:
    1. Drifblim
    2. Poliwhirl
    3. Heracross
    4. Whirlipede
    5. Gothorita
    6. Forretress
    7. Sigilyph

i figured kenny would win from the begining, but in the battle i almost thought dawn was going to win so this episode sure was good.
    Banner by millarc3005
    I have claimed Mudkip. I heard they liek me.

A neat and entertaining episode.
    Today it wasn't one of the main protagonists who caught my attention for a change, but the seldomly appearing Kenny, the deserved winner of this week's contest.

Let's get started:

I really liked Dawn's playful and somehow clever reaction to Mamoswine's pranks. Isn't it heart-warming how lovingly and nicely she treats her Pokemon? I may not be a fan of her "cutie-collection", but I do love the way she behaves towards her Pokemon.

But unfortunately, Dawn's appeal didn't knock my socks off. To be honest, I found it neither appealing nor fascinating at all! All Ambipom basically did was making the notes (from the ball capsule) explode, throwing around stars (from the swift attack) and jumping around. What was so special about that? If I were a judge, I wouldn't have let her pass into round 2 this time. Sorry Dawn.

Talking of the judges, is it only me or did Mr. Contesta look much younger today?

Now Kenny's AWESOME Machoke: This appeal did knock my socks off, maybe because I myself do weightlifting too and thus admire Pokemon with an impressive body or muscles. Great Machoke! One of the best moments today.

And thanks to Jessie memory, we saw the Gabite from the last contest again, even if only for a few seconds. Although it was only a random Gabite which belongs to a random coordinator, Gabite reminds me of Garchomp and Garchomp reminds my of whom?? :crush::crush: Cynthia awwww,I wallowing in memories:crush:

Although I'm rather sceptical when I comes to contest battles, because many of them are illogical in my eyes, that final battle between Kenny and Dawn sure was rousing and well thought-out. Good job writers!(And the praise is coming from somebody who's an expert in analyzing Pokemon battles!)

But this leads me straight to the worst scene of the episode. Since when have Normal and Fighting-type attacks been able to hit Ghost-type Pokemon??? The attack Ambipom used in that battle against Haunter (we only saw a short snapshot of it though!) could either have been Focus Punch (a Fighting-type attack) or Double Hit (a Normal-type attack), both of which normally don't affect ghosts.
    Normal or Fighting vs. Ghost...Again the old mistake we already witnessed so often in the past. Come on writers, please no relapse into old times! hdear:

Aside from this mistake, it was an interesting episode in which everybody(even Team Rocket) gave it their all!

6.5/7 out of 10 points
    ASH FOR THE WIN!
    Pokémon veteran since 1999

Words of wisdom from Serebii Chat:
    [01:37] <Brainless> I hate the WORLD.
    [01:37] <Trainer_Trixie> trade your soul on wifi

I really liked this episode. It was kind of obvious that Dawn wouldn't win this contest since that would've given her 5 ribbons while Ash only had 6 badges. I liked how they animated some of the attacks in this episode as well.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Good thing that Kenny won, though I'm sad Jessie didn't get past Dawn, after that wonderful show by Mime Jr. Seviper could've bitten the tail of Ambipom prior to the hit... The ping-pong part didn't really get me over, I think having that is a bad idea... I'm curious to what will Meowth try when he goes into Contests.
    Il Gran Velenatore del Poke-mondo.
    The Great Poisoner of the Pokeworld.

Hmm Kennys voice annoys meXD He sounds like a girls voice.
    I think I liked Jessies appeal the best, hers honestly impressed me. Kennys is second. While I thought Dawns was at her best, it wasn't enough to make me go oh and awe like Jessies and Kennys did. That whole Ping pong thing sounds weird, but if it means keeping Barry a bit longer I'm all for it. The guy is to funny. I saw a bit of Penguinshipping hint in here. And what I'm mainly looking forward to in the next contest is Meowth battling in it, he sounds so determaind to win, hopefully without cheating this time. It'd be nice if Meowth made it all the way to the finales for Jessie. I liked the music that was playing during the part where Meowth said he'd win the contest for Jessie, it was cool. Also I noticed a new opeaning, its ok. Over all I'm not a fan of contests, but if the next one means Meowth battling in it than I'm actually excited for once. This episode was ok though.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Mamoswine takes interest in contest, I was shocked win Meowth took charge and said He Wanted to compete in the next contest
    Great Episode I foresee Mamoswine versus Meowth
    If you think Ruby and Sapphire were the Best games ever and deserve remakes put this in your sig(Started by Clubfoot)

IF you think Gen 3 was the best Gen ever put this in your sig(Started by Clubfoot)

This is what sucks about rivals, they can do incredicley stupid and boring appeals and still pass. Seriously, how is that entertaining? You expect great strength from Machoke.

Dawn and Jessie has good appeals.

I was kind of disappointed in how Dawn lost. I mean she had to lose since it is too early, but still cheap. Ambipom looked like she was doing well, then one hit and down she goes. Lame.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterDragon trainer View Post
    Another decent filler IMO.
    This isn't a filler!
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Wonderful... another bloody contest... I haven't got the slightest interest in them, but for a Pokemon Masochist like myself, that's no excuse to be skimping on a summary.

- Barry & Ash are training extensively for the Ping-Pong Tournament. I'd say that for them to be working this hard, it had better be worth it; if I find out that the prize up for grabs is nothing more than a congratulations, I'm going Bi-polar on someone...
    - In the meantime, Kenny is claiming that he'll beat Dawn in this upcoming contest. We shall see about that...
    - Dawn trains extensively with her Ambipom, just as Ash began having flashbacks of her when she was still an Aipom, & still belonged to him.
    - Just then... OMG we're under attack from an Ice-Type!!
    - Oh, it's only Mamoswine, being an attention *****...
    - Just as Dawn turns her back on it, it uses Ice Shard again, but Dawn slyly tilts her head to her left to avoid its attack. That's perhaps the only part of this episode that I found laughable.
    - In the meantime, Jessie is contemplating her next contest strategy, which is pretty much stolen from Ursula. She plans on using James' Mime Jr.
    - The contest begins, & we start off with... "Jesselina!" With Mime Jr. standing perfectly still, then it suddenly uses Teeter Dance, Which is a hit for the entire crowd. I'm very sure that if someone in the audience were blind, they wouldn't budge in the slightest, but chances are, they wouldn't even be inside here...
    - Fast forward to Kenny's appeal, in which he uses his Machoke & his amazing strength. Bleh... we see that in the entire Machamp family, so why the audience finds that awesome, I don't know...
    - We now get to see Dawn's appeal, in which she uses her Ambipom & her moves to a dazzling effect; this is basically the only appeal that I find even remotely interesting, & that's not saying much.
    - The people that make it to the second round is Dawn, Kenny, & against all odds, Jessie, among five of the other not-so-important people here.
    - Fast forward again to Jessie's defeat at the hands of Dawn. Jessie should just give up, now!
    - We now get to the final fight between Kenny & Dawn! Let the killing begin!!
    - A minute into the fight, the two of them turn it into a Ping-Pong contest, which gets the crowd going, but not me. Wake me up when something interesting happens...
    - The makeshift contest is over? Okay, I'm up. Kenny's Prinplup uses Metal Claw in a fashion that has it resembling a drill, but Ambipom uses Focus Punch to fight back.
    - One last Drill Peck at max power, & Prinplup gives Ambipom a case of Dead.
    - Kenny wins his fourth ribbon, & is now caught up with Dawn.

Finally, the "Gouge your eyes" fest is over. Now I can concentrate on something else...

Usual contest episode but glad that Kenny won his 4th ribbon. It had to come sooner than later
    Dawn shouldnt have used Ampipom in both rounds though she should have used Pachrisu in the appeals or Mamoswime in the battles and used Ambipom for which round she didnt use it in. That was her let down i thought
    But im sure she will win her next ribbon in the next round and it shows maybe Kenny might be at the grand festival now too as he only needs one more

haha mamoswine feels left out
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

Finally Dawn loses. Kenny seems more like a better rival than Zoey. She's always helping her more like she's the childhood friend and Kenny's the rival.

My ideal battle ever!

Mamoswine just soots ice shard ate Ambipom like it was nothing. He was just sleeping! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Finally Dawn loses. Kenny seems more like a better rival than Zoey. She's always helping her more like she's the childhood friend and Kenny's the rival.
    What? Dawn's lost plenty of times before :S

As for Kenny, when I watched it I thought he was ok, but nothing close to Zoey. She's still better than Kenny or Dawn.

6/10 episode.

No she's not. She's more like a teacher. A rival is like what Paul is. A person who doesn't need to teach because the trainer can just watch and learn.

My ideal battle ever!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast