Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 83

Thread: Old Rivals, New Tricks (591)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bournemouth, England
    Posts
    16,165

    Default Old Rivals, New Tricks (591)

    Pokémon Contest! Tatsuami Convention!

    It is time for the next Pokémon Contest. With her rival Kenny partaking in it, Dawn is sure to face a challenge worthy of her skills. Using Ambipom, while Kenny uses Prinplup, the battle will truely show the Pokémon's skills. Will Dawn win her 5th ribbon?

    Visit The Episode Guide

    Discuss

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hyderabad (India)
    Posts
    3,840

    Default

    Dawn lost & Kenny won, thats all.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    2,260

    Default

    This thread isn't for asking what happened. It's for talking about what happened from people who have seen it. Read the rules and you won't have anything to worry about.

    I'm glad Kenny won. It's nice that their rivalry isn't one-sided.

    Iota
    "Writing doesn't require drive. It's like saying a chicken has to have drive to lay an egg." ~ John Updike


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    This thread isn't for asking what happened. It's for talking about what happened from people who have seen it. Read the rules and you won't have anything to worry about.

    I'm glad Kenny won. It's nice that their rivalry isn't one-sided.

    Iota
    Yeah, I agree. And besides, it just means Dawn'll have to try hard for her 5th ribbon.

    Bryon
    "Looks like you're about to get pwned."

    I don't care about EVs. If you don't either, copy and paste this into your sig. (Started by Shiny Metagross)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,685

    Default

    Could someone please tell who used what pokemon in which round and who lost to whom?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Shamouti Shrine
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    Dawn may have lost, but I'm sure she will defeat Kenny in their next match!

    Thanks to Tekirai for the greatest banner ever!

    PM me with any help you need regarding #SPP-WiFi or with getting your signature checked

    [14:32] <metallica> i acted like a foolish


    *** katya (CHEAT@NOW.YOU.CAN.SEE.A.NICE.ICE.KEY.WHICH.YOU.CA N.HAVE.FOR.FREE) has quit IRC (Quit: (3:56:28 pm) <rittre_gilr> oh mah gah!!!! guess what i juss foun out!!!!! |B selebii-fatrazychan dada mallied a MURE!!!! an ugry mure can you berieve dat??? so dats why he got holse teef!!!! CHING CHING CONG BALONG)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,395

    Default

    Ambipom lost to Prinplup, like all expected.

    Dawn beat Jessie before the finals though.

  8. #8

    Default

    Boring bull**** expected blablablablabla
    metal claw dive boringggg
    jessie lost to ambipom -_- boringggggg
    Pokemon Magic
    Always NearBY

    Latios<>Latias

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,976

    Default

    Arrgh...this forum is currently slower than a 10-year-old not realizing they've been scammed by Platinum Version. Probably because it's being overloaded by - in fact - 10-year-olds not realizing they've been scammed by Platinum Version.

    This week I'm giving a generic episode review for a generic contest, although the animation in my review is probably better. Though Mamoswine is now tame, it seems it is still too prideful to show its yearning for contests, so maybe the big guy's development isn't truly over yet, which would be good given how little development its disobedience stage received (Ribbon 5 screams Mamoswine victory). I also liked Ash having his first interaction with Ambipom in what seems like forever, even recalling his hat-stealing moments (which I oddly just griped about in the DP124 speculation thread).

    Contest was rather typical, though James, Meowth, and Wobbuffet's costumes looked oddly familiar. From some Kanto ep, anyone? Vemilion Gym maybe? I also must credit Takeda for making Sukizo's Teeter Dance look so jello-ish. It was hysterical. Generic as Ambipom's appeal was, it was nice to take use of the CG sticker effects for once, making them slightly less meaningless. And in case anyone's wondering, Machoke does belong to Kenny.

    The main battle was pretty stale, and I know someone will complain about Ambipom being able to attack and defeat a Haunter. Glad the lead female finally lost a chance at Ribbon 5, and also glad Kenny got a win since he's obviously losing to Dawn at Grand Festival. Also, that vertical pan of Marian was totally scandalous. And apparently Meowth is discussing tactics to earn Jessie a 3rd ribbon himself. Heist or actually participating in a contest and winning? The latter would be awesome, but it's gonna be interesting either way seeing as how the writers truly are intent on having Jessie make Grand Festival.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Shamouti Shrine
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S.Suikun View Post
    Arrgh...this forum is currently slower than a 10-year-old not realizing they've been scammed by Platinum Version. Probably because it's being overloaded by - in fact - 10-year-olds not realizing they've been scammed by Platinum Version.

    This week I'm giving a generic episode review for a generic contest, although the animation in my review is probably better. Though Mamoswine is now tame, it seems it is still too prideful to show its yearning for contests, so maybe the big guy's development isn't truly over yet, which would be good given how little development its disobedience stage received (Ribbon 5 screams Mamoswine victory). I also liked Ash having his first interaction with Ambipom in what seems like forever, even recalling his hat-stealing moments (which I oddly just griped about in the DP124 speculation thread).

    Contest was rather typical, though James, Meowth, and Wobbuffet's costumes looked oddly familiar. From some Kanto ep, anyone? Vemilion Gym maybe? I also must credit Takeda for making Sukizo's Teeter Dance look so jello-ish. It was hysterical. Generic as Ambipom's appeal was, it was nice to take use of the CG sticker effects for once, making them slightly less meaningless. And in case anyone's wondering, Machoke does belong to Kenny.

    The main battle was pretty stale, and I know someone will complain about Ambipom being able to attack and defeat a Haunter. Glad the lead female finally lost a chance at Ribbon 5, and also glad Kenny got a win since he's obviously losing to Dawn at Grand Festival. Also, that vertical pan of Marian was totally scandalous. And apparently Meowth is discussing tactics to earn Jessie a 3rd ribbon himself. Heist or actually participating in a contest and winning? The latter would be awesome, but it's gonna be interesting either way seeing as how the writers truly are intent on having Jessie make Grand Festival.
    I wish I had seen a Jessie's Yanmega vs. Dawn's Ambipom in this episode, with Jessie winning.

    Thanks to Tekirai for the greatest banner ever!

    PM me with any help you need regarding #SPP-WiFi or with getting your signature checked

    [14:32] <metallica> i acted like a foolish


    *** katya (CHEAT@NOW.YOU.CAN.SEE.A.NICE.ICE.KEY.WHICH.YOU.CA N.HAVE.FOR.FREE) has quit IRC (Quit: (3:56:28 pm) <rittre_gilr> oh mah gah!!!! guess what i juss foun out!!!!! |B selebii-fatrazychan dada mallied a MURE!!!! an ugry mure can you berieve dat??? so dats why he got holse teef!!!! CHING CHING CONG BALONG)

  11. #11

    Default

    just saw the episode



    it was a great episode really, the contest appeals are great especially ambipom and I'm kinda shock that kenny's machoke do carry a heavy thing( forgot the word) and impress the audience and i think it just use bulk up I think so. Oh i lol at mime jr.'s appeal it's kinda funny and great too.

    I also noticed that Ambipom is getting the spotlight in the episode like focusing him more in the appeal and in the battle. btw, ambipom just defeated a HAUNTER but that's impossible but how!

    too bad it lost as (speculated) with just 1 hit. Prinplup's attack was Drill Peck?

    This just give me a thought that ambipom might leave. Oh no! this can't be
    Last edited by pokefan16; 16th April 2009 at 8:46 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,270

    Default

    So basically Machoke is just flexing its muscles for its appeal. That's pretty typical.
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Between Noland and Adan <3
    Posts
    4,355

    Default

    So, Manene now knows Meditate? Is that what it did before using Teeter Dance?
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,796

    Default

    As rumoured machoke was kenny's

    nd Dawn lost to Kenny


    Credit goes to the very talented Skiyomi for this awesome Banner!!!!


    I claimed Palpitoad.....yay???

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    11,241

    Default

    - Ambipom is training with Pikachu and Empoleon for the ping pong tournement
    - Jessie uses Mime Jr for the appeals and Seviper for battles
    - Dawn uses Ambipom for both
    - Kenny has an...interesting...apeal with Machoke and uses Prinplup in the battles
    - Like the last contest, Mamoswine was watching with slight interest.
    - Dawn beats Jessie(Barely)
    - Prinplup vs Ambipom is basically nothing but a ping pong match with bubblebeam. Not so good.
    - Kenny owns Dawn.
    - Ambipom shows interest in ping pong

    If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    785

    Default

    So what normal attack did the writers let hit a ghost type to defeat Haunter? Was it Double Hit? I hate how they blow the continuity of the characters having to learn that you must not use normal or fighting type moves on Ghosts like this when they could have just stuck a different type in there to lose in 2 seconds.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,976

    Default

    Aaaaaand...my prediction of said complaint was dead on-target. Mad props to Joe for using that exact picture to headline on the main site.
    Quote Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
    So, Manene now knows Meditate? Is that what it did before using Teeter Dance?
    I'm not sure whether Mime Jr. was using the attack Meditate, however. It didn't even occur to me, as I just assumed it and Jessie were meditating to build up the suspense for Teeter Dance.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

  18. #18

    Default

    It's still Kinoshita, but I must say the HD certainly makes it noticeably nice to me. So, that's good.

    Hmm, nice to see Mamoswine still has a bit of disobedience left in him. I really like the big fella, which is odd because just a few months ago I was forgetting Swinub was even on Dawn's team. He's probably my favorite member of Dawn's team now. I feel sorry that couple they showed standing right in-front of an enormous tusked beast. Reminds me of Gravy's sig.

    Nice to see Jessie bringing up Ulala's battle style, because at the end of the last Contest she stated she would try her method of using poses to enhance the attack or something like that. I really didn't understand what the strategy Ulala used was exactly. Team Rocket's Ouendan Costumes return! Wobbuffet certainly can rock those shades.

    Ash remembering Aipom's past is nice, but it seems kinda ominous at the same time. I think those are new shots too. Hopefully it gets a nice montage scene if it leaves next week.

    Shellder...I don't think we've seen one of those for awhile. Also, the *** Cannon appears. Machoke is one of those Pokemon I don't get tired of, they're just cool. I wonder, was that supposed to be Strength it used? Kenny also shows a surprising amount of balance and upper body strength. 0.o

    Flareon is pretty much faithfully close to how it is in the games. It loses. Seeing people on Bulbagarden call Seviper "Habu" is pretty funny.
    Oh, apparently Meowth claims he'll win the next ribbon for Jessie. Nice.

    But yeah, Kenny wins. That guy is ****ing awesome. An alright episode. Nice one for Kenny fans!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    11,241

    Default

    I will be happy if Meowth really does win the next ribbon for Jessie. The writers remembered Jessie's promise to use Ulala's style in the next contest so maybe they will come through with this promise too.

    If it's Dawn's next contest then Meowth will get thrashed, but I think it could win if it was up against unnamed characters like Yanmega was in the Fantina episode

    If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Impel Down
    Posts
    3,006

    Default

    While some think this episode was good since Kenny won, I for one disagree.All this episode did was refuel my hatred for that little prick.I haven't seen a contest win that cheap since May in her Hoenn Contest battles.They totally just ended it so quickly with that retard peguin winning.OOOH Shiny Metal Claw skydive.If you ask me that was really lame.Ambipom was totally in control of that match, the the little cheap peguin just pulls a win basically out of his a**.I hope that Dawn never loses to him again like that or maybe even lose to him at all anymore.It was like the entire I was thinking"Why the hell is he even here?"i would rather have her lose to a random COTD than him.But I guess one thing was good about her losing.It gives her chance to OWN him twice as hard in the Grand Festival...Also Ambipom ain't going nowhere.Seems to me that its just a normal filler episode for the Ping-Pong ep.Also Jun FTW man!!!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,395

    Default

    Every time the camera did a close up of Mamoswine's eyes, I honestly crack up laughing.

    Probably the most unintentional hilarious shot in Pokemon.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,976

    Default

    People sure have odd definitions of "filler".

    Mamoswine's whole contest resistance thing seems like a good way to bring back Zoey* into the picture before Grand Festival rolls around. Believe it or not, she's been gone 30 whole episodes, and things just don't feel the same without a character who all of us can pounce on that doesn't involve making dumb pun names using infamous dictators.

    *Assuming a good way to bring back Zoey does indeed exist.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S.Suikun View Post
    People sure have odd definitions of "filler".

    Mamoswine's whole contest resistance thing seems like a good way to bring back Zoey* into the picture before Grand Festival rolls around. Believe it or not, she's been gone 30 whole episodes, and things just don't feel the same without a character who all of us can pounce on that doesn't involve making dumb pun names using infamous dictators.

    *Assuming a good way to bring back Zoey does indeed exist.
    I had honestly forgotten about zoey completely, haha.

    Anyways, pretty boring episode. Best part about it was Jessie's appeal. Definitely shows how much she's improving.

    *~Openly Gay and Proud~*

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    270

    Default

    It would've been nice to see zoey seeing as they are close to snowpoint city, but its just further proof that dawn is a novice coordinator and has a long way to go before she will be top coordinator

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    12 Wrose Road, Shipley
    Posts
    265

    Default

    I thought Ambipom is facing agenst Machoke. My bad! :P

    Im giving credit to Pokesho
    We Are The Champions!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •