Thread: Improving/Adding More Community Events?

Default Improving/Adding More Community Events?

Hi there! As a lot of you've noticed, the community here is kinda quiet, and has definitely seen more active days. I saw that the suggestion I made about forum events has drummed up a bit of discussion on the reviewing thread, so I thought maybe it could use its own thread because it's getting talked about a bit and is ending up making the thread off-topic.

I'll quote my post in the review thread to sum up my thoughts:

Quote Originally Posted by Samayouru
    I do remember that at one stage there were several community projects going on at once which a lot of people were interested in. Of course, you had the Fanfic Awards, but there were other things like Author Interviews where users could send their questions to the person who hosted the interviews to ask the interviewee all about their fanfics or even stuff about themselves. It was what turned authors who had achieved legendary status and appeared to be giants compared to viewers into perfectly normal people. Perhaps it might be worth considering if it would be a good idea to revive events like this as well as reviewing more frequently? I'm sure it would draw attention and it would give newbies a good idea on what our community is really like.
    So what do you guys think? Should we think about trying out more things? Or do you perhaps see otherwise? Do you have any ideas for community events we could try out and if so, how could we use them to make our community a much more enjoyable and active place?
    Latest Shiny: - 1164 SRs (Pt)

Current Hunts: - 4000 SRs (FR/LG) | Route 114 - 6500 REs (R/S)

A good first step I can suggest right now (not able to dedicate significant time to type anything out in extensive detail at the moment) is something you touched on. I think we should look over old events/activity-stimulating threads done in the past and see what could be revived. This is something that could be done effectively in a short amount of time.

Release the past, escape the future...
    Most Recent: 20: The Weight of the World (Part 2)
    Next: Father

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network Fanworks Blog
    Best Wishes blog

I think if events are going to be a thing, they can't be too repetitive.

These are the main events I see Serebii doing yearly/fairly often:

- fanfiction quarterly (decent activity, challenge prompts change every time, challenges don't take long to do)
    - awards (huge activity drop, may or may not be related to the activity drop in reviewing)
    - one-shot contests (huge activity drop, only one prompt to choose from and it can be a huge time commitment, depending)
    - yuletide (best activity out of this list, low time commitment, several prompts to choose from and a different recipient each year)

The main pattern I see between the four main events we do here is that the more repetitive the event is, the less interest and/or activity. When thinking of event ideas, you have to get into people's heads and motivate them. The main motivators I've seen throughout the years are events that are not time consuming (because main fic projects are usually a priority), several options to choose from (to increase the chance of someone getting inspired), or have a reward (with yuletide, you're gifting someone which makes you feel good).

As a side note, I'm not sure how Jax's Rabbit event is going, but that definitely leaves a lot of open ended options for participants to work with and the prizes are great, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's doing well.

Just gonna spitball a bunch of stuff. None of these ideas are all that fleshed out:

- This isn't really an "event" but I freaking loved the Review Game and I'm sad it died. I think I'll revive it by reviewing Chlobo's fic.
    - Some kind of tallying how many reviews the community's doing (and encouraging everyone to reach some global total or other.)
    - Review challenge--review the most fics in some time span, get a prize?
    - I can offer art prizes if anyone needs rewards for an event they wanna set up. Yes, that includes something like the banner in my sig. (Any other banner makers wanna chime in?)

~Chibi~

"Everyone wishes they could catch a Legendary, deep down, whether they’ll admit it or not.
    If you knew you could use one to change the world, something you’d been dreaming about for years, are you telling me you wouldn’t take that chance?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    July 15 Update: CHAPTER 25: “The Heart of a Rocket” POSTED!!!
    Chapter 26 progress: 3/10 pages

Quote Originally Posted by diamondpearl876 View Post
    I think if events are going to be a thing, they can't be too repetitive.
    This. A lot of the yearly events I see that you've listed have one thing in common: they're time consuming, and a lot of people aren't going to be drawn to the time consuming events first. I believe that smaller ones that have a lot of variety in them would be a good place to start, maybe? The reward idea sounds good too - another forum I used to go to ran a fan works event for Halloween and Christmas contest every year and they were always popular because you could win things and gain notoriety from the stuff you produced for the contests.

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Pika View Post
    - Review challenge--review the most fics in some time span, get a prize?
    - I can offer art prizes if anyone needs rewards for an event they wanna set up. Yes, that includes something like the banner in my sig. (Any other banner makers wanna chime in?)

~Chibi~
    I'd be up for this considering I draw myself. Something that comes to mind is that maybe some of the prizes could be drawings of characters or scenes from other peoples' fanfics? There's many ways we could go about this topic so I'm not really sure what else we could throw in unless said prizes didn't have to be fanfic-related.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    A good first step I can suggest right now (not able to dedicate significant time to type anything out in extensive detail at the moment) is something you touched on. I think we should look over old events/activity-stimulating threads done in the past and see what could be revived. This is something that could be done effectively in a short amount of time.
    I went ahead and did just that!

The Writing 15 Minutes Nonstop Thread

The Fanfiction Spotlight of the Week Thread

The Character Interviews Thread

The Interview With the Authors Thread

There's probably a lot I missed. But I don't think I can be blamed for that considering I've had to sift through over 40 pages of topics in the cafe (some of which were terrible ones I made on my old account when I was 13 *shudder*)... @H@

Quote Originally Posted by Samayouru View Post
    This. A lot of the yearly events I see that you've listed have one thing in common: they're time consuming, and a lot of people aren't going to be drawn to the time consuming events first. I believe that smaller ones that have a lot of variety in them would be a good place to start, maybe? The reward idea sounds good too - another forum I used to go to ran a fan works event for Halloween and Christmas contest every year and they were always popular because you could win things and gain notoriety from the stuff you produced for the contests.
    I actually don't think the fanfiction quarterly prompts or Yuletide fics are too time consuming unless you want them to be - that, combined with the fact you have a large time frame to complete a small task probably has made them more successful than other recent events. Prizes are a good incentive, but in terms of popularity (I'm assuming that's what you meant, as I don't think notoriety is the right word to use in the context you wrote about), I wouldn't want events to make certain authors feel or look "popular" among the community, as that can create resentment among other members. I did look at some older threads not too long ago and there's a ton of "I'm tired of popular authors getting all the attention" threads.

Also, an important thing to note is that while anything that gets people active around the forum is all well and good, the goal of getting people interested in others' fics (and not just focusing only on their own works) is more important imo. Basically we need to motivate people to become content consumers as much as they are creators (though again, fic contests and stuff that gets people writing are still good!)

This is part of the reason the character interview thread was so successful I think. You couldn't participate unless you came up with questions for the other characters. A lot of author's cafe threads show the same trend as the overall forum itself. People come in, talk about their own fic, and leave. The yuletide is a nice anomaly in that regard, because while you're still focusing on your own writing, it's for someone else, therefore it brings the community together in a way that fic contests don't, I think.

That, by the way, was the ulterior motive behind saying I'd offer banner-making services. What good is a shiny new banner if you don't post in other people's threads to show it off? >:D (Though honestly, writers will do anything for art. And I'm saying this as someone who's a far better artist than writer, and I would still do anything if you bribed me with fanart.)

Anyway, that's why overall I'm gravitating towards wanting to do stuff that incentivizes reading other fics. I'm gonna throw out a few more ideas:

- Having a monthly spotlight for new fics and telling everyone to check em out.
    - More threads related to talking about other fics you're reading (we used to have these a lot, actually.)
    - Games related to reading other fics (the rabbit event being a current example.)

~Chibi~

"Everyone wishes they could catch a Legendary, deep down, whether they’ll admit it or not.
    If you knew you could use one to change the world, something you’d been dreaming about for years, are you telling me you wouldn’t take that chance?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    July 15 Update: CHAPTER 25: “The Heart of a Rocket” POSTED!!!
    Chapter 26 progress: 3/10 pages

Quote Originally Posted by diamondpearl876 View Post
    I actually don't think the fanfiction quarterly prompts or Yuletide fics are too time consuming unless you want them to be - that, combined with the fact you have a large time frame to complete a small task probably has made them more successful than other recent events. Prizes are a good incentive, but in terms of popularity (I'm assuming that's what you meant, as I don't think notoriety is the right word to use in the context you wrote about), I wouldn't want events to make certain authors feel or look "popular" among the community, as that can create resentment among other members. I did look at some older threads not too long ago and there's a ton of "I'm tired of popular authors getting all the attention" threads.
    You're right. I don't think notoriety was the right word to use (I'm good with English Literature, not so good with normal, everyday conversation I'm afraid :P). I don't think I'd want them to result in some authors being more popular than others. I meant to say that it was a chance to go all out and show the community what you could really do with the talents you've got. The less threads we have about complaining how certain authors get overshadowed by others, the better.

Also, an important thing to note is that while anything that gets people active around the forum is all well and good, the goal of getting people interested in others' fics (and not just focusing only on their own works) is more important imo. Basically we need to motivate people to become content consumers as much as they are creators (though again, fic contests and stuff that gets people writing are still good!)

This is part of the reason the character interview thread was so successful I think. You couldn't participate unless you came up with questions for the other characters. A lot of author's cafe threads show the same trend as the overall forum itself. People come in, talk about their own fic, and leave. The yuletide is a nice anomaly in that regard, because while you're still focusing on your own writing, it's for someone else, therefore it brings the community together in a way that fic contests don't, I think.

That, by the way, was the ulterior motive behind saying I'd offer banner-making services. What good is a shiny new banner if you don't post in other people's threads to show it off? >:D (Though honestly, writers will do anything for art. And I'm saying this as someone who's a far better artist than writer, and I would still do anything if you bribed me with fanart.)

Anyway, that's why overall I'm gravitating towards wanting to do stuff that incentivizes reading other fics. I'm gonna throw out a few more ideas:

- Having a monthly spotlight for new fics and telling everyone to check em out.
    - More threads related to talking about other fics you're reading (we used to have these a lot, actually.)
    - Games related to reading other fics (the rabbit event being a current example.)

~Chibi~
    Haha bribe me with fanart and I will do anything for it, so i know exactly what you mean. Banners and other things would be good prizes - like, for 1st place winners you could have a larger banner, and for runners up there could be smaller banners.

There's a lot we could do with this idea, so if anybody has any other suggestions for what could be used as prizes, just say so!

The monthly new fic spotlight idea I can get behind. That way there's enough time between spotlights for a steady-ish flow of new fanfics popping up to start. The same can be said for the discussion threads - there was one I took part on with one of my older accounts once about sidekicks that main characters often have and it was an amazing debate that got a lot of people thinking about good examples of sidekicks in other users' fanfics and what they could learn from each other.

- This isn't really an "event" but I freaking loved the Review Game and I'm sad it died. I think I'll revive it by reviewing Chlobo's fic.
    Yep, just as a reminder, the Review Game is pinned to the top of the Cafe now, so it can be bumped at any time. Usually whenever someone starts the game back up, the momentum carries on for a few posts. Hopefully we can keep it active a little longer this time!
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Thanks for the banner American--Pi!
    Ongoing Projects:
    The Halvarsaga
    / Hawlucha Man

Just offering my two cents as a person who was involved in several forum events, namely the Fan Fiction Quarterly and the Worlds Collide Contest:

In my experience, offering prizes for a fic-writing event doesn't always work to increase activity for that event. I made a ton of graphics for Worlds Collide, a contest that for some reason only got five entries, even though the top three entries got banner prizes.

Speaking of the Quarterly, I loved it while it lasted, but unfortunately putting it together takes a HUGE amount of time that I'm no longer willing to dedicate. The fact that overall response to the Quarterly decreased as time went on was also discouraging. I was going to lead the effort to put together a final FFQ Edition, but NO ONE responded to my Author's Cafe thread, so I figured that community interest in the project was just gone.

Some events that have been mentioned that may be cool are Monthly Fic Spotlight and Review Challenge. Fic Spotlighting was something that was done in the Quarterly, but it's definitely something that can be done more often (or at all, considering that the Quarterly is now discontinued). Review Challenge would be really nice, but would work best if there were a reward in the end like art (which was mentioned before).

Unfortunately if there are new events I don't think I'm going to host them, and my participation might be spotty as well. It's mostly because I'm already in charge of the current contest. Also, I'm no longer as active on here as I was in the past, and this lack of activity isn't going to change in the foreseeable future because I've decided to allocate my time elsewhere.
    Pi's 6 favorite Pokemon:

^Credit to Satomine Night

Known as AmericanPi everywhere on the Internet.

Author's Profile | Art Shop
    Platonic: A Family and Friendship One-Shot Contest

So Jax and I have been tossing back and forth the idea of breaking up the elements of the old Quarterly (thanks to AmericanPi, your post got me thinking about it) into stand alone features. I sent her a brief analysis of each feature from the last completed Quarterly with my opinions on their potential merits, and I'm reposting that list here for discussion.

Editor's Choice: This might be doable but it would need reworking, since there's no "editor" per se. The only option that comes to mind for me is having a panel of the section's mods either come to a consensus on a featured fic for a certain time period or make individual selections. Probably not the best thing to start this project with.

Reviewer Feature: If someone signs up to run this, this would be a great thing to do. I think there'd be a great response to it.

Blast from the Past: I don't know about this one. I don't have a strong opinion one way or another, but I guess if you got someone to run there wouldn't be any problem with it.

Events: Probably best as a sticky post/announcement at the top of the forum instead of a regular thing.

Quarterly Challenge: Again, this would be workable as its own thing, but would it preclude or go alongside the existing challenges that happen every so often?

Release the past, escape the future...
    Most Recent: 20: The Weight of the World (Part 2)
    Next: Father

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network Fanworks Blog
    Best Wishes blog

Events: Probably best as a sticky post/announcement at the top of the forum instead of a regular thing.
    I really like the idea of this! There can be a closed thread that only mods can post in for all events. Each post can include a link to the event proper. That way, too, there'd be a nice archive of events.

Overall, I definitely think that each feature of the Fan Fiction Quarterly can be reworked as its own thing. The question is who's willing to do it.
    Pi's 6 favorite Pokemon:

^Credit to Satomine Night

Known as AmericanPi everywhere on the Internet.

Author's Profile | Art Shop
    Platonic: A Family and Friendship One-Shot Contest

Reviewer Feature: If someone signs up to run this, this would be a great thing to do. I think there'd be a great response to it.
    If we're talking about reviewing the fics for contests and award ceremonies, I could try and do that. They wouldn't be the super-in-depth ones that get posted sometimes, but they would be noting what I like and dislike about a certain fic and ways for the person writing to improve. I can officially I'd be willing to try!
    Banner by me!

Serebii.net Fanfiction Profile

Note: I often struggle to get motivated to write or draw. Just because I don't update a story or my art gallery in a while does not mean that I've given up on that story or drawing. If I decide to cancel a project, I will post in the corresponding thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSonic View Post
    Did they ever figure out who let the dogs out?
    Ongoing Stories:
    Bonds Between Children of Tragedy ~ Pokemon White Abridged ~ Encounters of an Elite Four Member
    One-Shots:
    Left Alone ~ A Simple Kalosian's Story
    Gallery:
    Nerdy McNerdface's Chibi Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdy McNerdface View Post
    If we're talking about reviewing the fics for contests and award ceremonies, I could try and do that. They wouldn't be the super-in-depth ones that get posted sometimes, but they would be noting what I like and dislike about a certain fic and ways for the person writing to improve. I can officially I'd be willing to try!
    Actually, he means a forum event/feature in which noteworthy reviewers get interviewed. The idea is that reviewers who've been particularly helpful to the community (by either being super-active or by leaving really insightful reviews) get a moment in the spotlight, especially since a lot of our other event tend to highlight writers instead. You can see examples of such reviews in any of our old Quarterlies (in the links herehere is one example in particular).

That said, though, I still highly encourage folks to review, even if the reviews you put out are exactly like the ones you're describing! The super in-depth ones are really just one style; this one is perfectly valid as well.

Besides, I have plans for reviewing things. 8) Which is to say, if anyone is interested in running this particular event, please come talk to me?

Aside from that, as Butler mentioned, we were talking about ideas in private, but I admit the Quarterly isn't the only thing we were discussing. The other thing was more game-style events, or events that require you to complete certain objectives while competing against/working with other members (in settings that aren't just contest-style). So in other words, something like The Fifth Gate, only broader and perhaps less ... ARG-like. The idea is that we'd (as in, anyone who wishes to run one, the mods, insert your preference for who that means here) offer up something different and unexpected so you all feel like you're not just completing the same kinds of events ("write this thing at this time") over and over again. I admit I don't off the top of my head have many idea for this concept (besides "moar scavenger hunts"/"find and review fics that fit this list" or "work in a team to compete against others by reviewing the most fics"), but if this would interest you, feel free to pitch a few concepts. Otherwise, would the idea of more game-style events (with lots of competition and creatively designed objectives) be appealing to other folks?

The Fifth Gate
    <click to participate>

Works In Progress:
    Anima Ex Machina | Electric Sheep
    (Sci-fi shenanigans in one convenient signature!)