Thread: 2014 Fanfiction Awards - discussion and planning thread

Default 2014 Fanfiction Awards - discussion and planning thread

We've gotten into the last part of 2013, so we have to start laying out ideas for the next awards once again.

As always, I'll kick things off by refreshing the rules from last time:

----
    The rules:

-Anything posted from January 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014 is eligible.

-Nominations will last from today - January 1, 2015 - to February 13, 2015. If necessary due to low nomination totals, an extension to February 26, 2015 will be given.

-Each nomination form must nominate at least four different authors/fics. No nomination form may nominate the same story more than five times total, or the same author more than six times total.

-As a clarification, the awards are for material posted in 2014, not older moments in fics that were updated in 2014.

-Do not ask people to nominate/vote for you, as it is cheating and can result in disqualification. And no, you cannot nominate yourself either.

Here is the list of categories. You may enter up to two nominations for each category.

Overall Fiction Awards

Best Pokemon Chaptered Fic
    Best New Pokemon Chaptered Fic
    Best Pokemon One-Shot
    Best Non-Pokemon Chaptered Fic
    Best Non-Pokemon One-Shot

Other Fic Awards
    Best Plot
    Most Original Overall
    Best Writing Style
    Best Description
    Best Setting
    Best Expansion of Canon
    Best Character Development
    Best Characterization in a Short Story
    Best Romantic Relationship
    Best Non-Romantic Relationship/Interaction
    Best Original Species
    Most Suspenseful Fic
    Most Heartbreaking Fic

Pokemon Genre Awards
    Best Trainer Fic
    Best Horror Fic
    Best Comedy Fic
    Best Fantasy/Sci-Fi Fic
    Best Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Fic
    Best Pokemon-Centric
    Best Canon Character-Centric

Character Awards
    Best Human Main Character
    Best Non-Human Main Character
    Best Human Supporting Character
    Best Non-Human Supporting Character
    Best Human Villain
    Best Non-Human Villain
    Best Minor Character
    Funniest Character

Fic Moments Awards*
    Funniest Scene
    Most Frightening Scene
    Most Heartbreaking Scene
    Most Heartwarming Scene
    Best Action Scene
    Best Cliffhanger
    Most Memorable Quote

Author Awards
    Best Established Writer
    Best New Writer
    Most Dedicated Writer
    Most Improved Writer

Reviewer Awards**
    Most Helpful Reviewer
    Most Dedicated Reviewer

* For the Fic Moments categories, please provide a link to the post containing the nominated moment, or a quote within spoiler tags of the moment itself if possible.

** For the Reviewer Awards categories, please provide a link to a review done by the nominated reviewer that you feel is an example of their excellence in that category. This will help voters choose who to vote for.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

I also want to once again provide this link, which is a guide for effectively nominating generously written by mod JXValentine.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Oh, uh. This is probably a good time to mention that we're not going to need a nomination thread or a nomination form, because I've been making this. It still needs a bit of polish which I'd get to before we actually start, but it already pretty much works. (You can register and test if you want to get a feel for it; right now it thinks this is the 2013 awards, so it won't affect the 2014 awards.)

Basically, you sign up on that site with any username and password (does not have to match your forum username/password), go through a simple process to verify which Serebii user you are, and then you can enter your nominations there. It automatically handles the restrictions on two nominations per category/at least four different authors/five nominations per fic/six nominatinos per author (these numbers can easily be changed if we decide to tweak them), as well as preventing self-nominations. You can enter a comment explaining why you think your nomination deserves the award, and users will actually be able to see these comments on the voting form. After the nomination phase, the site is simply switched to the voting phase and everyone will be able to vote there, similar to how we've done voting in previous years, except that since your Serebii accounts are verified automatically, there will be no need to post in a thread to confirm your votes. And after the voting phase the site will give the hosts the results in easily copy-pasteable BBCode form.

So all in all, less work for everyone! Whoo.

By all means, give any feedback you have before it goes live.

[If things look ridiculously broken, I'm probably working on it at the moment. Try again in a few minutes.]
    Last edited by Dragonfree; 19th October 2014 at 5:45 PM.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

I get this message:

Application Error
    An error occurred in the application and your page could not be served. Please try again in a few moments.

If you are the application owner, check your logs for details.
    Shoot Confirmed.

the Writers of Justice + the Fanfiction Mafia

banner and userbar by the fantastic Brutaka / gif by a friend

PokeCommunity . Writers of Justice . FanFiction.Net

That would be because I was pushing some changes. Try again.

EDIT: Seems to be some issue with nominating at the moment (ugh, should have pushed those changes and made sure it was all working right with them before posting it in public). Working on it.

EDIT2: Fixed.
    Last edited by Dragonfree; 19th October 2014 at 6:07 PM.

The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

I've registered, but I can't seem to verify my profile. My code has been pasted in my profile but it says that it can't find it.

~Deadly
    Shoot Confirmed.

the Writers of Justice + the Fanfiction Mafia

banner and userbar by the fantastic Brutaka / gif by a friend

PokeCommunity . Writers of Justice . FanFiction.Net

Maybe it's me, but I think having to sign up on a completely different site, even one connected to this, will be a turnoff to so many people.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated Dec 30th, 2014)
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

I can't help but think I kind of agree with that. Maybe there's some sort of medium we can reach.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

I don't personally see it much of a step up to having to register there and then fill in forms (and then voting), as opposed to filling in nominations here and voting there while saying we have voted here. Both then and the proposition now involved using an external site, and registering there saves you from having to post here to confirm your vote (and I imagine the registration process wouldn't need to be repeated the following year if you voted this year too).

If that is a turnoff for a lot of people, then so be it, but I don't feel it would be. Registering is a pretty darn quick process, and quicker than filling out nominations after all. People who want to vote won't imo be turned off by an extra half-minute of name filling.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: Nicknames for Seel and Dewgong! See what the Name Rater thought!
    Previous Article: From RSE to ORAS - what has improved? We look at aspects that changed for better or worse.
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

The signing up on another site is an inevitable inconvenience, but personally, given the other massive conveniences offered by doing the entire thing with an automatic backend, I think it's worth it.

I made every effort to make signing up as non-offputting as possible and am open to suggestions for how it could be made more so. You don't have to provide an e-mail address or any identifiable information whatsoever - username, password and you're in - and verifying is something you should be able to do by yourself in two minutes, rather than needing to go and post somewhere (there's an issue with it at the moment, hence Deadly.Braviary's predicament, and I can't properly fix it until I'm back from England, but if you try it you get the idea). You only have to sign up once to participate in both nomination and voting for any future awards, and if you forget your password you can always get back into your account by reverifying your Serebii account.

As bobandbill said, if you're going to nominate for the awards, you're already going to waste quite a bit of time looking up the relevant fics and typing your nomination post; the time it will take to do the signing up is negligible in comparison and makes the actual nomination process simpler to do and less error-prone (you can give it a link and it will automatically fetch the thread and fill out the title and author, for example, and if there's something wrong with your nominations you'll know right away instead of when the hosts happen to notice).

It's entirely possible it still puts people off for silly psychological reasons, and yes, that sucks, but like I said, I think it's worth it.

If we're really concerned it will be a problem, we can always let people post their nominations in a thread if they prefer, and the hosts will enter their nominations into the system instead. I'd be willing to do it myself if it means we ultimately get the bloody things into a database. Same with votes; I could add in the ability to make unconfirmed votes and then claim them in a thread somewhere like in the old system, and then I can watch the thread and manually attach the votes to the right member in the system, if that's what it takes. But people really should just sign up.
    Last edited by Dragonfree; 27th October 2014 at 3:21 PM.

Morphic

A choice of which option one uses sounds good to me, personally.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Eh, I kinda want to step in and say that I'm not sure how many people would be bothered by it. Speaking for myself, I'm interested in seeing this site in action, if only because this new system sounds like it could be the solution to the annual problem that is the fact that there's always that number of people who don't read the rules before nominating. (Dragonfree mentioned this in her first post, in fact.) By allowing the form to do the rule enforcing for us, we make the nominations process more efficient by eliminating the need to tell people to fix their ballots, not to mention the need to wait around for people to actually do so.

That's the main issue I can see with people getting the option to do either. If anything, it creates more work and could increase the time it takes to run the event because then we have to enter your ballot into the database anyway (going by Dragonfree's latest post, that is) on top of moderating those manually submitted ballots as we normally do.

Normally, I'm cool with happy mediums myself, but I'm definitely interested in anything that also smooths out the nominations process and eliminates all the drama and waiting we tend to get every year from people who try to break the nominations rules. (Sure, I say this in order to make things easier from a modding perspective, but it'll hopefully be a help from a user's perspective as well because then you wouldn't have to worry about whether or not your ballot is legal, not to mention you wouldn't have to edit your ballot later. You'd know from the get-go.) This looks like an interesting solution. As bobandbill said, signing up is pretty much a step up from what we do every year with the voting end of things anyway, so once the kinds of bumps Deadly.Braviary mentioned are ironed out, it'll hopefully be a lot easier both to manage and participate in.

Tl;dr, idk, it kinda sounds interesting. But that's me, of course. I get what you're saying, though. Signing up for anything tends to be a hassle, but so is going back and editing your post or waiting for someone else to edit theirs, y'know?

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

Yeah, I had to go back and read it again. I totally missed the part about it automatically enforcing the limit rules.

I'm on board with it now.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

I don't think there's anything much to add to the category list, but I'd like to suggest removing the "Best Original Species" category. The only time that award got more than two nominations was back in 2010; it just doesn't look like there's a lot of interest in it to me. I think this year there's only ~3 stories even eligible for the award anyway.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric Design

I'm interested in hearing some more opinions of Negrek's suggestion.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Makes sense to me.

Morphic

As the person who comprised literally one half of that category for the past few years due to amazing eligibility numbers on an annual basis, I'd like to say I have absolutely zero objections to dropping it off the ballot.

I mean, as cool as it is to go up against elyvorg every year, it's not exactly the most productive category to be in if you're only one of two people competing in it, y'know?

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

As has been said before, it's probably a good idea to drop it. If ever the forum sees a sudden upsurge in original pokemon in fics one year, it could be reintroduced at that juncture. Similarly to how PMD fics became a splinter genre out of the blue, the same thing could happen to these at some point but until then, I don't think it's worth the trouble.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Yeah, I think we're pretty much all in agreement on this one. Let's strike it.

I just realized we're only a few weeks away from getting started on the actual nominations...

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Out of curiosity, will fics written for Yuletide be eligible for this? Since they can't be posted until the new year, but they all were written and posted, albeit not on the forum, before the end of the year.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Sorry, I think I'm going to have to say no to that.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

I suppose it's a bit late to talk about this, but speaking for the future, do you think it'd be wise to set a bottom limit on how many eligible fics a category must include in order for the category to be included? That way it's less played by ear, ya know? Cuz like with Original Species category, it's had low eligibility for years, but was never removed.

And if we do, what number would that be? 3? 5? Even the last category we splintered off, PMD, still has ~11 eligible fics in it. So idk.

I don't know. Given that we discuss whether the categories stay or go each year depending on how the most recent awards went, I don't really think we need a strict rule about it.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate