Thread: What does your writing say about you?

Default What does your writing say about you?

It's dangerous to make assumptions about an author based on what they write--many people write about characters who don't share their opinions or to try and explore viewpoints they don't share. But imagine for a minute that someone tried to draw conclusions about you solely based on the stories you've produced. What do you think they'd decide about your personality and opinions, accurate or otherwise?

I write a lot of pretty dark stuff, and based on the kinds of characters I use, I think a lot of people would imagine I'm pretty pessimistic and cynical. It's quite the opposite! I'm a rather idealistic person and rather naive if anything. With Salvage in particular, you might get the idea that I'm pretty salty, but in real life I'm actually known for being really uptight about cursing (I do swear more in text, but usually for comedic effect). The out-loud readthroughs I do when editing would probably be pretty funny to listen to because I trip over Nate's dialogue a lot.

Salvage also has an unfortunate anti-science (or scientist)/technology/intellectual bent, which sort of comes with the territory since it revolves around Mewtwo, which was a canonical "evil scientist" situation. Buuuut I'm actually a scientist and pretty technology-positive. I try to include a fair few little (computer) scientist jokes, but if you don't catch them, the portrayal of most of the better-educated characters and science in general isn't too flattering.

As far as accurate things go, I think my love of animals comes through in the focus I put on the pokemon characters in my stories. Although, err, they do get beaten up a lot. My stories tend to get quite violent and bloody, and I'm definitely a bit bloodthirsty. I don't really go in for physical violence, but I enjoy conflict, competition, and have a strong preference for action-oriented media. I adore fiddling with strategy/tactics/optimization, and I think that's clear from how I approach battle scenes. My characters tend towards the Chaotic end of the spectrum, as do I.

In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric Design

I think readers probably get the impression that I'm a very introspective person, based on how much detail I go into when it comes to my characters' thoughts and emotions. And that impression would be absolutely correct.
    These are my fanfics. Read them. Or not, whatever.
    Pokemon Generations: Satsumi's Journey (Chapter 3 Now Up!)
    My Fanfiction.net Profile

This is my Tumblr. Read it if you are so inclined.
    The Philosophy of Shipping (shipdr.tumblr.com)

Hmm this is a difficult one for me to answer. I write for sheer enjoyment for myself and others. I adore writing for other people.
    But as far as my writing goes, I think a lot of my personality and personal feelings come out in it, from my comedy stories to my more serious work. I've not really discussed my writing with people who don't know me, but I become quite fond of all of my main characters. My desire of good overcoming evil is pretty prominent in my writing, and parts of my personality from a fascination with mental health before I was finally diagnosed with Aspergers all the way through to my faith can come across in my stories.

I am also quite a descriptive speaker, which is clear with how I like to describe things especially when it comes to similes and metaphors which I actually use in real life conversations (albeit not necessarily very well when I'm thinking on the spot...)

But one thing that is quite different between myself and the characters in my stories is despite how much a majority of them waffle on (as I love writing banter and conversations), I myself am actually quite quiet.
    A glimmer of hope in a war-torn world - The End

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too †

Hmm...that's a tough one. I'm still new to writing(yet I've been a member for two years...), so I'm not quite sure. I think it'd be easy to tell I'm a big dinosaur nerd just by reading my dinosaur story, but other than that, I can't really think of much.

"They should all be destroyed..." -Robert Muldoon, Jurassic Park

I am a sucker for fantasy, folklore and mythology, both real and imagined. I've always imagined the Pokeworld as filled with possibilities, and so a lot of times I see the characters like the ensemble in Disney shorts--an ensemble of characters for any purpose.

But I usually gravitate towards the classic Trio or a blend of the past and present party and imagine Pokemon as a different genre--what if it was an epic fantasy in the vein of LOTR or Final Fantasy? What if it was a fantastic space opera like Star Wars or Macross? What if it was a Super Sentai show? What if it had magical girls (and magical boys) a la Sailor Moon?

Some times my what ifs get a little harebrained and off the wall, but the ones I like I keep coming back to and tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingRuby View Post
    I am a sucker for fantasy, folklore and mythology, both real and imagined. I've always imagined the Pokeworld as filled with possibilities, and so a lot of times I see the characters like the ensemble in Disney shorts--an ensemble of characters for any purpose.

But I usually gravitate towards the classic Trio or a blend of the past and present party and imagine Pokemon as a different genre--what if it was an epic fantasy in the vein of LOTR or Final Fantasy? What if it was a fantastic space opera like Star Wars or Macross? What if it was a Super Sentai show? What if it had magical girls (and magical boys) a la Sailor Moon?

Some times my what ifs get a little harebrained and off the wall, but the ones I like I keep coming back to and tweaking.
    Oooh, I have this whole magical girl story planned out with my original characters, but if I took them out of the Pokemon universe, it'd no longer be a fanfiction... I've thought about using Pokemon in that story in some way, but I'm not sure I really want to do that; I'd really like to do my own independent story. But then, it's important that my characters' parents are the original characters, just for plot reasons, and... Boo, it's a conundrum!
    These are my fanfics. Read them. Or not, whatever.
    Pokemon Generations: Satsumi's Journey (Chapter 3 Now Up!)
    My Fanfiction.net Profile

This is my Tumblr. Read it if you are so inclined.
    The Philosophy of Shipping (shipdr.tumblr.com)

I'm usually not satisfied unless all my characters are deeply miserable, so like Negrek, I suspect my writing gives the impression I'm cynical and pessimistic, when really I'm quite the opposite. If anything I'm idealistic to a fault.

I'm someone who relishes writing about characters suffering and dying, so you might get the impression I'm kind of a sadist. That's quite true as far as fiction goes - most of my favorite scenes in fiction involve either torture, someone being killed horribly, someone almost being killed horribly, or someone having a total psychological breakdown - but not at all in real life. I'm not tickled by the idea of actual people being hurt, in any way - in fact, I'm probably more viscerally upset and repulsed by actual torture and violence than most people. For example, I find casual remarks like "If someone murdered my child, I'd want to kill the bastard myself" really disturbing; I can't even imagine actually wanting someone dead or otherwise physically harmed no matter how they had wronged me or anyone else. But although the ethics involved are very important to me, it's not just that it's overridden by ethical concerns; I just don't get anything out of real-life pain and suffering the way I do when it's fictional, even when it happens in controlled, consensual situations.

I don't know if anyone has ever tried to guess my views on religion from Morphic with no other context, but if so I'd be interested to know exactly what they thought. It features a sect of religious extremists as villains, while the most prominently atheistic character is a huge dick about it and also kind of a bitter, spiteful jerk that nobody likes in general, and the other most prominently atheistic character is an amoral half-Scyther with murderous tendencies. This might possibly suggest I occupy some sort of in-between position, but nope, I'm a pretty hardline atheist (hopefully not a dick about it, though). It may not be that hard to guess in Morphic's current incarnation, though, since I did a much better job writing the atheists being atheists than writing the religious people being religious. I aim to do it better in the eventual rewrite, in which it would then presumably be harder to tell.

Morphic, particularly in the extras, also has some references to evolutionary biology and psychology that probably suggest I find them interesting, and I do. But more subtly, though I'm no expert in either of them by any means, the fic doesn't give an entirely accurate impression of my understanding of them, particularly psychology, because it's filtered through a character who knows less psychology than I do (and cares a lot less about getting it right).

My female characters lean pretty hard on the traditionally unfeminine side. I write a lot of fierce, aggressive, competitive, blunt and assertive women, and very few actively on the feminine side of the spectrum. One might deduce from this that I'm not very feminine myself, and one would be quite right. Femininity, how does it work.

Also, my utter lack of interest in clothes and fashion probably comes through pretty clearly in how rarely and sparsely I describe what people are wearing. The few times I do, it's stuff like "a plain black dress" or "jeans and a T-shirt".

SUDDEN TEN-DYAS-LATER EDIT: OH. I'm not much of a fan of romance in fiction; it doesn't come up much in my writing, and when it does, it's generally pretty dysfunctional and used to make the characters miserable one way or another. Purely from my writing, you'd probably get the impression that I'm not very romantically inclined in my personal life. I'm actually happily married, and what's more, my natural state when we're alone is one of a disgusting degree of dopey mushiness - like, making nonsensical hyperbolic declarations about how soft he is on a regular basis dopey mushiness, the kind that authors only write into fiction to make the characters involved look ridiculous.
    Last edited by Dragonfree; 22nd July 2015 at 2:09 PM.

Chapter 65: Three Dragons
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.