Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475354555657585960 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1478

Thread: Fic ideas V.2

  1. #1401
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ████
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Pika Kong: It's usually Fighting-type trainers who are all about fine-tuning the human's skills alongside the Pokémon's. Just look at Chuck, Maylene, and the Karate Dojo for examples, but Brawly's gym was just as stocked with trainers all about that. It's not unusual for Fighting-type trainers to do things like scale mountains just to be better Fighting-type trainers, so it's not that difficult to imagine a Fighting Gym Leader like the one you've described. Still, it's rather unusual that you came up with all of this before your theme. Usually, Gym Leaders and their gyms revolve around their type theme, not the other way around. So if you may need to be a bit more flexible with developing this character if you're looking to make her fit the type she trains.

    I say this because her philosophy is definitely Fighting-esque, but her gym with all of its gadgets sounds thoroughly Electric (because Electric gyms, except Elesa's BW2 gym, are all about setting traps and using gadgets to test a trainer's skills), but a name like Star would be a pun more suitable to the Fire- or Psychic-type. Alternatively, you could make her a Dark-type gym leader, which has absolutely no associated images or themes (because there is no canon Dark-type gym), but Dark-type trainers aren't exactly known for pushing others into being their best. Maybe Karen is, but you've also got Grimsley and Sidney.

    Point is, lots of possibilities, but you'll probably find it easiest to work with the Fighting-type. You might still need to make a few changes in order to emphasize the balance between strength in body and character that Fighting-type gyms are known for emphasizing (if that makes sense), but it sounds like you've got a basic foundation there.

    Other than that ...

    It would involve climbing up walls (Spider-man style), sky-diving, free-falling, diving (without any scuba gear), walking a tightrope, extreme exercise, or maybe even having survive attacks from a group of Pokemon as you walk past them.
    There's a reason why daredevils have a job, to put it in short. While, sure, kids in the anime and manga endure a lot and while, yeah, Skyla's gym is pretty intense, some of these things you've mentioned are straight-up extremely dangerous. Either that, or you ... can't really do them in an indoor arena. Sure, there's indoor skydiving, but ... that's really, really not the same, especially if you're building a gym that rewards people for taking risks. Sure, you can say that your gym has no roof, but how much time do challengers have to go through all these tasks, and how much space do you have to take off/achieve the right altitude for these kinds of things? For actual skydiving and free-falling, you'd need at least an airplane, but you also want this gym to have a rock wall and a body of water both large enough and deep enough to make diving risky.

    But back to the main point, yes, you can die from some of these things. While gym leaders encourage character growth, they don't normally encourage trainers to put their lives in danger just to meet them (except gameverse Skyla, apparently). Basically speaking, gym leaders have a level of responsibility that they have to exercise towards their challengers. A trainer's not going to get stronger if they end up getting hurt, y'know?

    Also?

    Most gyms would just let you leave immediately by taking a shortcut from a slide or elevator after winning, Star doesn't do that. Now that you fought your way towards her, now you must try to escape her and reach the entrance, enduring the pain once again and battling her a 2nd time at the entrance. If you do survive, you might wanna see a hospital as soon as you get out...
    Pretty sure that counts as abuse. (Note that in at least the animeverse, doing physical, direct, intentional harm to a fellow trainer is generally frowned upon. It's arguably implied in the games as well, considering the fact that everything is resolved via Pokémon battles, including disputes with bodies of organized crime.)

    1. You need to learn to take risks for your rewards. Sometimes things can be dangerous to do in battle, but if you can do them right the reward is hefty. Other times something can be safe to do, but won't really reward you at all for doing them. It also wants to teach the difference between high risk, high reward and high risk, low reward so you don't get too overly attached to the idea and misunderstand it, which is why there are doors to let you choose your fate.
    Buuuut the doors would be low risk, possibly high reward situations (in comparison with the alternative, anyway). Trainers are taking the safe way out. They're guaranteed to proceed safely, and as far as we know, there are no rewards for the high risk situations (the actual traps/stunts) besides character building and the satisfaction that they've completed them. And that's cool and all, but if you're giving people a choice between something that could potentially kill them and something that absolutely cannot, most sane people will want to choose the thing that absolutely cannot unless there's a particularly good reward besides character building for choosing otherwise.

    Moreover, this feels ... a bit stilted, and my reason for saying this ties into the second point of this gym. While, sure, you're trying to have Star teach trainers to be strong, the problem lies in the fact that there's a difference between surviving by luck and surviving because of skill. By forcing trainers to go through a series of unrelated tasks, they're not so much training their skills at survival as they are testing whether or not they're lucky and, frankly, impulsive/foolish enough to go through with the series of stunts. There's no reward for making sound decisions either way. If you have Star offer lucrative enough rewards for performing stunts, you end up with the exact reason why reality shows are a thing. You don't encourage people to decide; you merely tip the scale from one side to another for some people. Like I said, sane folks will probably still take the door; desperate folks will go after the reward. But there's no analysis of the actual danger involved in these decisions unless you always take the door, and those cases are considered to be acts of weakness. To be a competent, strong leader, you need to be able to assess risks themselves and determine whether or not they're worth it, which you've probably already got (judging by the high risk talk). So you need to reward the fact that they're making an assessment, not their actual decision in order to encourage positive behavior.

    If this gym were centered around a naturalist theme (for example, if the entire gym was a forest, and you had to display some survival skills in order to show that you're competent enough to reach the gym leader or if the trainers otherwise faced more realistic dangers), then this entire goal of forcing them to grow into strong, competent trainers who knew how to handle themselves in the wild would make more sense. But right now, it just heaps on a lot of elaborate stunts—which are primarily for entertainment purposes because, like I said, surviving a stunt like skydiving or free-falling doesn't reward you for your skills and competency but instead for the fact that you actually survived doing something reckless.

    That's really the sum of it. Her backstory could be interesting (because yay military brats who like to throw themselves into intense camping trips for funsies), and her drive towards whipping trainers into shape is certainly admirable. But it's just that her gym doesn't quite do what it sets out to do, which is a something because if she succeeded in her goal as a gym leader, she could potentially feature in some pretty interesting character-building chapters.

    Good luck!
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 28th June 2014 at 6:23 AM.

    REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

    The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

    The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

  2. #1402
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hugging Togepis
    Posts
    586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Infernape the III View Post
    Aren't they Grovyle and Dusknoir in the future? That means that in the present (time the protagonist appears in PMD: Explorers of Sky) they are Treecko and Duskull. So maybe the Duskull from Duskull bank become Dusknoir? And the partner Treeko partnered with your future self as Grovyle in the future because it remembered you?
    Stupid time travel, making things confusing.
    I've kind of already written that now... it's on PFQ...

    Its programming was modified to enable it to travel through alien dimensions. Seems there might have been an error...
    [Porygon-Z || Virtual Pokémon || #474 || Normal || Anime debut: M15]

  3. #1403
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    20

    Default

    It's usually Fighting-type trainers who are all about fine-tuning the human's skills alongside the Pokémon's. Just look at Chuck, Maylene, and the Karate Dojo for examples, but Brawly's gym was just as stocked with trainers all about that. It's not unusual for Fighting-type trainers to do things like scale mountains just to be better Fighting-type trainers, so it's not that difficult to imagine a Fighting Gym Leader like the one you've described. Still, it's rather unusual that you came up with all of this before your theme. Usually, Gym Leaders and their gyms revolve around their type theme, not the other way around. So if you may need to be a bit more flexible with developing this character if you're looking to make her fit the type she trains.

    I say this because her philosophy is definitely Fighting-esque, but her gym with all of its gadgets sounds thoroughly Electric (because Electric gyms, except Elesa's BW2 gym, are all about setting traps and using gadgets to test a trainer's skills), but a name like Star would be a pun more suitable to the Fire- or Psychic-type. Alternatively, you could make her a Dark-type gym leader, which has absolutely no associated images or themes (because there is no canon Dark-type gym), but Dark-type trainers aren't exactly known for pushing others into being their best. Maybe Karen is, but you've also got Grimsley and Sidney.

    Point is, lots of possibilities, but you'll probably find it easiest to work with the Fighting-type. You might still need to make a few changes in order to emphasize the balance between strength in body and character that Fighting-type gyms are known for emphasizing (if that makes sense), but it sounds like you've got a basic foundation there.
    Later on you said it'd make more sense if the gym naturalist, so I went with Grass types instead. But I did keep the Daredevil Idea and pass it on to someone else, maybe I could call him her brother and give them some sort of connection?
    True, Fighting type would work best with this, good idea. There aren't very many Pokemon of that type to choose from and I'm kinda picky though. Although, the Flying seems to be a decent substitute if that doesn't work. Or Maybe not sticking to a single type at all! Traininer Blue broke that rule in Gold & Silver and the remakes.

    There's a reason why daredevils have a job, to put it in short. While, sure, kids in the anime and manga endure a lot and while, yeah, Skyla's gym is pretty intense, some of these things you've mentioned are straight-up extremely dangerous. Either that, or you ... can't really do them in an indoor arena. Sure, there's indoor skydiving, but ... that's really, really not the same, especially if you're building a gym that rewards people for taking risks. Sure, you can say that your gym has no roof, but how much time do challengers have to go through all these tasks, and how much space do you have to take off/achieve the right altitude for these kinds of things? For actual skydiving and free-falling, you'd need at least an airplane, but you also want this gym to have a rock wall and a body of water both large enough and deep enough to make diving risky.

    But back to the main point, yes, you can die from some of these things. While gym leaders encourage character growth, they don't normally encourage trainers to put their lives in danger just to meet them (except gameverse Skyla, apparently). Basically speaking, gym leaders have a level of responsibility that they have to exercise towards their challengers. A trainer's not going to get stronger if they end up getting hurt, y'know?
    Moreover, this feels ... a bit stilted, and my reason for saying this ties into the second point of this gym. While, sure, you're trying to have Star teach trainers to be strong, the problem lies in the fact that there's a difference between surviving by luck and surviving because of skill. By forcing trainers to go through a series of unrelated tasks, they're not so much training their skills at survival as they are testing whether or not they're lucky and, frankly, impulsive/foolish enough to go through with the series of stunts. There's no reward for making sound decisions either way. If you have Star offer lucrative enough rewards for performing stunts, you end up with the exact reason why reality shows are a thing. You don't encourage people to decide; you merely tip the scale from one side to another for some people. Like I said, sane folks will probably still take the door; desperate folks will go after the reward. But there's no analysis of the actual danger involved in these decisions unless you always take the door, and those cases are considered to be acts of weakness. To be a competent, strong leader, you need to be able to assess risks themselves and determine whether or not they're worth it, which you've probably already got (judging by the high risk talk). So you need to reward the fact that they're making an assessment, not their actual decision in order to encourage positive behavior.
    Well eh... that's because uh.... Oh I give up, I got nothing. Everything you said is right, I've overdone the stunt thing and made it too deadly. I don't know much about this stuf and making it was harder than I thought, I'll fix it (I'm keeping the Rock Wall though). Would Go-Karts, Bumper Cars, Giant Slides, or Skate Boards be amazing substitutes? Although now that I think about it, these choices are more for Amusement Parks or Skate Parks than Stunts.

    Pretty sure that counts as abuse. (Note that in at least the animeverse, doing physical, direct, intentional harm to a fellow trainer is generally frowned upon. It's arguably implied in the games as well, considering the fact that everything is resolved via Pokémon battles, including disputes with bodies of organized crime.)

    Maybe I didn't make it clear (okay, I definitely didn't), but that's not what I meant. I meant if you want your badge, let's see if you can go backwards where you came from and do it all again, facing Star/her brother a 2nd time once you get back to the entrance. I mean look at Clair, who flat out refuses to give you your badge after losing to you and forced you to take some "Dragon User's Challenge" to get it. This is basically just my version of that, where instead of leaving the gym and going to a cave, you just need to go back the way you came and battle the gym minions again. That'd at least would make an interesting concept for a boss character in the games if you ask me and It'd be something different from the other gyms.

    [quote]Buuuut the doors would be low risk, possibly high reward situations (in comparison with the alternative, anyway). Trainers are taking the safe way out. They're guaranteed to proceed safely, and as far as we know, there are no rewards for the high risk situations (the actual traps/stunts) besides character building and the satisfaction that they've completed them. And that's cool and all, but if you're giving people a choice between something that could potentially kill them and something that absolutely cannot, most sane people will want to choose the thing that absolutely cannot unless there's a particularly good reward besides character building for choosing otherwise.[/quote

    Yeah, but imagine this: You can clearly see the leader from so far away, and you can also see the paths that lead to him. In a game-only concept, you could go through certain doors and get a certain result:
    [*]Some doors require you to do a stunt animation and go through something. These would get you to him significantly faster than with the other door options and end your, challenge faster but doing the stunt could maybe do a decent amount of damage to at least to your Pokemon while inside their balls and damage em if ya fail the stunt, and break the normal rules of the game. 50/50 chance of succes or failure that occurs randomly, or maybe a little minigame where you try to determine your result.[*] Other doors just lead you to the minions patrolling the place and you battle em, but your pokemon take no damage from doing it unlike the other one. But its a lot longer this way and get can pretty time consuming.

    For a story, I concede that its a bad idea; a really, really horrible idea. But for a gameplay gimmick to create something new, it sounds like a fine concept to me. I'm sure the games would probably never do something like this, but I personally find that it'd be cool if they did; though some people may say otherwise.

    If this gym were centered around a naturalist theme (for example, if the entire gym was a forest, and you had to display some survival skills in order to show that you're competent enough to reach the gym leader or if the trainers otherwise faced more realistic dangers), then this entire goal of forcing them to grow into strong, competent trainers who knew how to handle themselves in the wild would make more sense. But right now, it just heaps on a lot of elaborate stunts—which are primarily for entertainment purposes because, like I said, surviving a stunt like skydiving or free-falling doesn't reward you for your skills and competency but instead for the fact that you actually survived doing something reckless.
    .

    That's not a bad idea, I lie the way you think! Forget the daredevil stuff, I'll totally go with that idea. Although if I do that, I'd have to go with Grass, Bug, Water, or Ground for her Type she Trains instead of Fighting or Electric. Maybe making her a park ranger or something might be cool..

    That's really the sum of it. Her backstory could be interesting (because yay military brats who like to throw themselves into intense camping trips for funsies), and her drive towards whipping trainers into shape is certainly admirable. But it's just that her gym doesn't quite do what it sets out to do, which is a something because if she succeeded in her goal as a gym leader, she could potentially feature in some pretty interesting character-building chapters.

    Good luck!
    Scary as criticsm is, I know its supposed to be good for me and I thank you.. for taking the time to write all that. I'll take all this into consideration, and I'm totally going with the Forest Gym Idea.
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

  4. #1404
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hugging Togepis
    Posts
    586

    Default

    I've suddenly been struck with the idea to write a PMD fanfic which has a bit of a twist on the "human turned into a Pokémon" forumula, but I have literally no ideas for it besides that. Not to mention that I need to finish HFTF...

    Its programming was modified to enable it to travel through alien dimensions. Seems there might have been an error...
    [Porygon-Z || Virtual Pokémon || #474 || Normal || Anime debut: M15]

  5. #1405
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    314

    Default

    I've been working on a pokemon fic set in an alternate universe. In this world, every person "bonds" to *one* pokemon, usually around the age of ~10 or so. A pokemon will usually bond to somebody based on that individual's personality/ goals in life (I.E. a cook might get a fire-type, or a scientist an electric-type). Pokémon who are not bonded to a human will not obey them. This changes the universe a bit drastically, as the focus switches away from creating pokemon teams, "catching them all", etc. and is more like our universe as although there are some people who do strive to collect badges, it's a far less common endeavor. Legendary pokemon are very rare, but usually a region will have at least one person bonded to a legendary at a time. These people serve as a sort of monarchy and are given great respect and power (this ties in with the eventual plot).

    My question is, is this a common AU? Surely I can't be the first to think of it, but I have yet to see it.
    Last edited by Tangeh; 9th July 2014 at 10:01 PM.

    Happy Holidays!
    FC: 1048 - 8845 - 0258
    ~ ~ ~
    [719/719]
    NATIONAL DEX COMPLETED! - Thanks to all who helped!
    -06/17/2014-

  6. #1406
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangeh View Post
    I've been working on a pokemon fic set in an alternate universe. In this world, every person "bonds" to *one* pokemon, usually around the age of ~10 or so. A pokemon will usually bond to somebody based on that individual's personality/ goals in life (I.E. a cook might get a fire-type, or a scientist an electric-type). Pokémon who are not bonded to a human will not obey them. This changes the universe a bit drastically, as the focus switches away from creating pokemon teams, "catching them all", etc. and is more like our universe as although there are some people who do strive to collect badges, it's a far less common endeavor. Legendary pokemon are very rare, but usually a region will have at least one person bonded to a legendary at a time. These people serve as a sort of monarchy and are given great respect and power (this ties in with the eventual plot).

    My question is, is this a common AU? Surely I can't be the first to think of it, but I have yet to see it.
    I can't speak for its rarity in general fanfiction, but I've been bouncing around ideas of a Kingdom-inspired Pokemon Conquest fic that has elements of that (obviously so, given the nature of Link Partners in the game).

  7. #1407
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
    I can't speak for its rarity in general fanfiction, but I've been bouncing around ideas of a Kingdom-inspired Pokemon Conquest fic that has elements of that (obviously so, given the nature of Link Partners in the game).
    That's true, I forgot that Conquest had a similar concept. Although you could switch pokemon partners in that one, and in my universe pokemon are bonded for life (humans can only bond to another pokemon if their first one dies, which is another topic that will be touched on in the fic). Thanks, though! I'm sure if we both had similar ideas, then the concept can't be too uncommon, especially given that Conquest exists.

    Happy Holidays!
    FC: 1048 - 8845 - 0258
    ~ ~ ~
    [719/719]
    NATIONAL DEX COMPLETED! - Thanks to all who helped!
    -06/17/2014-

  8. #1408
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangeh View Post
    That's true, I forgot that Conquest had a similar concept. Although you could switch pokemon partners in that one, and in my universe pokemon are bonded for life (humans can only bond to another pokemon if their first one dies, which is another topic that will be touched on in the fic). Thanks, though! I'm sure if we both had similar ideas, then the concept can't be too uncommon, especially given that Conquest exists.
    Conquest also had Best Links, though, which is what I was thinking of as being the same concept. Granted some characters had multiple Best Links, but still.

  9. #1409
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ████
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunset Star View Post
    I've suddenly been struck with the idea to write a PMD fanfic which has a bit of a twist on the "human turned into a Pokémon" forumula, but I have literally no ideas for it besides that. Not to mention that I need to finish HFTF...
    Sure?

    Like, a lot of people start off with the thought, "I want to do this, but let's write a twist on it." Whether or not it's an interesting twist (or an actual twist at all) depends completely on what your specific concept is. It's cool that you want to work outside the box, but definitely put a lot of thought into what you're doing. That said, until specifics are brought up here, I unfortunately can't offer up any further advice, so hopefully, a concept will come to your mind soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangeh View Post
    I've been working on a pokemon fic set in an alternate universe. In this world, every person "bonds" to *one* pokemon, usually around the age of ~10 or so. A pokemon will usually bond to somebody based on that individual's personality/ goals in life (I.E. a cook might get a fire-type, or a scientist an electric-type). Pokémon who are not bonded to a human will not obey them. This changes the universe a bit drastically, as the focus switches away from creating pokemon teams, "catching them all", etc. and is more like our universe as although there are some people who do strive to collect badges, it's a far less common endeavor. Legendary pokemon are very rare, but usually a region will have at least one person bonded to a legendary at a time. These people serve as a sort of monarchy and are given great respect and power (this ties in with the eventual plot).

    My question is, is this a common AU? Surely I can't be the first to think of it, but I have yet to see it.
    Y'know, it's actually not. Reason why is probably twofold. First, there's of course the slight Digimon vibes pairing a human with a single magical bond creature gives off (not that there's anything wrong with that or anything overtly Digimonish with this concept; just saying some people might make the connection). Second, it's also probably because in a lot of Pokémon fics, the Pokémon are the cast, so people lean more towards building teams in order to maximize cast numbers. (Y'know. If they don't forget that teams exist in favor of focusing solely on the human characters.)

    And of course, that's a shame because this is an interesting concept. And I say it's interesting because you get to spend more time focusing on the bond between trainers and Pokémon (whereas fics with teams tend to either focus more on building the characterizations of the Pokémon or the characterizations of the humans), so you end up emphasizing half the point canon attempts to hammer into its audience. At the same time, you're also implying that you'll be spending some time world-building in order to show occupations besides trainers, and of course it'd be interesting to read about non-trainers in the Pokémon world (purely because of how saturated the market is with trainer-focused fics).

    In short, it's not a common concept in fanfiction, and for that, I for one wouldn't mind seeing more of it.

    REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

    The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

    The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

  10. #1410
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JX Valentine View Post
    Y'know, it's actually not. Reason why is probably twofold. First, there's of course the slight Digimon vibes pairing a human with a single magical bond creature gives off (not that there's anything wrong with that or anything overtly Digimonish with this concept; just saying some people might make the connection). Second, it's also probably because in a lot of Pokémon fics, the Pokémon are the cast, so people lean more towards building teams in order to maximize cast numbers. (Y'know. If they don't forget that teams exist in favor of focusing solely on the human characters.)

    And of course, that's a shame because this is an interesting concept. And I say it's interesting because you get to spend more time focusing on the bond between trainers and Pokémon (whereas fics with teams tend to either focus more on building the characterizations of the Pokémon or the characterizations of the humans), so you end up emphasizing half the point canon attempts to hammer into its audience. At the same time, you're also implying that you'll be spending some time world-building in order to show occupations besides trainers, and of course it'd be interesting to read about non-trainers in the Pokémon world (purely because of how saturated the market is with trainer-focused fics).

    In short, it's not a common concept in fanfiction, and for that, I for one wouldn't mind seeing more of it.
    Interesting. Thank you very much for your feedback!

    I forgot that digimon existed too to be honest lol. That wasn't quite what I was going for, but now that you've got me thinking of it it is similar.

    The focus on the bond between pokemon/ trainer is a big part of why I wanted to make my fic in this AU. I'm also tired of seeing fics with kids who literally don't consider any career options besides going out into the wild and catching a bunch of pokemon. It's fun in the games, but it sadly gets stale in the fanfiction realm. I mean, if I lived in the pokemon universe, I'd still want to be an accountant over a pokemon trainer (...maybe I'm just boring though :P and I hate the outdoors so LOL).

    Happy Holidays!
    FC: 1048 - 8845 - 0258
    ~ ~ ~
    [719/719]
    NATIONAL DEX COMPLETED! - Thanks to all who helped!
    -06/17/2014-

  11. #1411
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Basement, York
    Posts
    3,585

    Default

    I'm mulling about with the idea of a GOT style written fic, with several different perspectives, so far I've established four characters: A budding trainer, a Pokémon Ranger, and a Pokémon hunter that's been hired by Team Rocket.

    My problem is I always end up giving up after a few chapters, I just seem to hit this block where writing about the characters feels stale, any ideas on how to help with this?
    Last edited by DMerle; 19th July 2014 at 1:03 AM.

  12. #1412
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rustboro City, Hoenn
    Posts
    112

    Default

    I want to write a KrazyShipping or KyoudaiShipping story, but I'm not good when it comes to ideas! There's not many KyoudaiShipping stories, and you can never have too much KrazyShipping, so I decided to do something about it. I always write cliche stories, since I don't know what else to do! By the way, I'm still a kid here so my writing might not be as advanced as the average author. And if any of you guys can come up with an idea with both shippings, that would be amazing!
    Need to complete the Pokedex!

    Anna the Pokémon Breeder and hopefully future Coordinator

    Planned ORAS Team:

  13. #1413
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ████
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudkip Oshawott Piplup View Post
    I want to write a KrazyShipping or KyoudaiShipping story, but I'm not good when it comes to ideas! There's not many KyoudaiShipping stories, and you can never have too much KrazyShipping, so I decided to do something about it. I always write cliche stories, since I don't know what else to do! By the way, I'm still a kid here so my writing might not be as advanced as the average author. And if any of you guys can come up with an idea with both shippings, that would be amazing!
    Hey there! Not sure if you've already discovered this, but shipping fics actually have their own forum under the Shippers Community. I say this because ... not that many people in the main fic forum ship.

    That and the shippers have their own discussion thread as well as threads popping up periodically to help authors develop ideas. While I wouldn't suggest going into the discussion thread and straight-up asking for ideas (It's not usually kosher in a fic community to do that, but shipping communities tend to be a little more lax about that.), it's worth it to hit up those threads and talk about your ships. You never know if by talking about them with fellow shippers, inspiration will suddenly strike. Or someone will say something along the lines of what they wish people would write.

    So yeah. Sorry this isn't what you're looking for, but good luck with the shipping forum!
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 18th July 2014 at 2:58 AM.

    REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

    The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

    The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

  14. #1414
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    20

    Default

    I decided to work on my own fic in an alternate universe (and as such very few, if any, of the canon characters are included). I do have a story already planned, but for now I'll just say the concept.
    In my setting, Pokemon and Mankind sort of live in two different worlds (psychologically), and do not connect with each other too much unlike in the canon. The world is more like ours in real life, in that Humanity does have connections with some animal species and stuff, but our world doesn't revolve around them too much and some of us pay more attention to our own lives than to animal life. People can and do still compete in Pokemon Battles and keep them as pets, but only certain species are domestic and Battles have been demoted to the rank an ordinary sport instead of a common hobby or career for almost everyone. Specific information of this includes:
        Spoiler:


    Try it! Tell me what ya think!
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

  15. #1415
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Shhh...!
    Posts
    145

    Default

    So...it's just the normal Pokemon world? I don't usually see training Pokemon in the common verse as the standard job anyhow. The economy still has to support itself, you know, and it wouldn't be feasible to do that on the backs of kids raising god-monsters from their pockets. It's just the main focus of the games and the anime, because how else would kids be interested in putting all their time and effort into raising a bunch of badass monsters with superpowers? Also, there's plenty of reason to assume Pokemon fighting wouldn't be legal in all places of the normal Pokemon world, and paying for damage done to structures due to your Pokemon is common sense.
    I have claimed Nuzleaf

    Current Chapter Progress: Chapter IV, 10% complete
    Second Place: Best Pokemon-Centric, 2013 Fanfiction Awards
    Credit goes to Brutaka for the banner

  16. #1416
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hugging Togepis
    Posts
    586

    Default

    @Pika Kong: Sounds like an interesting concept, but what are all of the randomly capitalized words for? There's also some broken BBcode in your post... /picky
    As for the actual story, rather than nitpicking... the above poster raised an interesting point about paying for damage. Destroying buildings and stuff could be considered an offense in your fic... just a suggestion.

    EDIT: I feel like writing a fanfic about a wild shiny Pokémon who doesn't like being shiny because humans pay too much attention to them. I've had that idea for a while ago. Also, I want to write a fanfic with an Eeveelution character whose defining trait isn't them simply being an Eeveelution, if that made any sense.
    Last edited by Sunset Star; 18th July 2014 at 9:37 PM.

    Its programming was modified to enable it to travel through alien dimensions. Seems there might have been an error...
    [Porygon-Z || Virtual Pokémon || #474 || Normal || Anime debut: M15]

  17. #1417
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default

    would you guys be interested in a story where serena somehow merges with yetval and the only one who could save is ash?

  18. #1418
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stuck in a Ferris Wheel
    Posts
    196

    Default

    I've had an idea for a PMD fic using important points and characters from the French Revolution. Of course, there will be some changes so it won't be that predictable to anyone with general history knowledge and because I'm too lazy to research every single fact about the revolution , but what I'd like to know is, does this sound like it's possible? Has this been done before? Would it be better to stick to the original timeline, or should I mix it up a bit, keeping the main events intact?

    I'm not sure if I explained myself well. If you need any clarifications, just ask.

  19. #1419
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Carrion Isle
    Posts
    738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GalladeofSpades View Post
    I've had an idea for a PMD fic using important points and characters from the French Revolution. Of course, there will be some changes so it won't be that predictable to anyone with general history knowledge and because I'm too lazy to research every single fact about the revolution , but what I'd like to know is, does this sound like it's possible? Has this been done before? Would it be better to stick to the original timeline, or should I mix it up a bit, keeping the main events intact?

    I'm not sure if I explained myself well. If you need any clarifications, just ask.
    Well, some people have compared the history of Kalos, most notably Parfum Palace, as similar to French History and the Revolution. So maybe one of the character's could be AZ/Eternal Floette, in the past getting ready to unleash the ultimate weapon (Yveltal) and you must find Xerneas to help save the lives of the pokemon?

  20. #1420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edgehead011 View Post
    would you guys be interested in a story where serena somehow merges with yetval and the only one who could save is ash?
    Does it go beyond "I ship Ash and Serena so Ash is the chosen one by default"?
    岩根雅明=♡

  21. #1421
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    20

    Default

    @ Sunset Star
    @Pika Kong: Sounds like an interesting concept, but what are all of the randomly capitalized words for? There's also some broken BBcode in your post... /picky
    Interesting concept you say? Thanks. Yeah I just have a habit of doing that in my sentences a lot. I just tend to capitalize big words that I feel are important, I do it all the time when I type and I think its because its my way of highlighting big words.

    As for the actual story, rather than nitpicking... the above poster raised an interesting point about paying for damage. Destroying buildings and stuff could be considered an offense in your fic... just a suggestion.
    Uh, may I ask how? Generally, I misunderstand people a lot when it comes to writing and I often find myself confused on what they're talking about. I don't really get how destruction of building could be considered an offense, I don't know what you mean when you put it like that. For now, I'm assuming you mean that fines for destruction are just common sense and wouldn't be any different than the canon story, like that other guy was saying.

    I feel like writing a fanfic about a wild shiny Pokémon who doesn't like being shiny because humans pay too much attention to them. I've had that idea for a while ago. Also, I want to write a fanfic with an Eeveelution character whose defining trait isn't them simply being an Eeveelution, if that made any sense.
    Due to my inability to understand other writers, I'm not a great critic at all but here goes. Keep in mind that its just my thoughts and I am more than likely unreliable, you're probably better off with someone other than me:

    First things first: The Shiny Wild Pokemon idea. Personally I think that's a great idea since I love the vibe I see from reading that: Someone who is special, but dislikes being special because everyone's got their eyes on him/her and he/she wants his/her privacy. That sounds like a cool character to me, and I'd be interested to see how that fic would end. However, there is one thing that makes me a little iffy: Though the ending could probably be interesting, a story like that sounds like the ending would be best if it came fast. Your idea is cool and all, but it also sounds a little straightforward and simplistic, and it seems kinda limited in the amount of stories you can tell about it. The other vibe I'm seeing from it is that most of the story would involve your shiny Pokemon repeatedly trying to evade the many humans that capture it until it does caught, remove its shininess, or find a place where it can evade permanently... although the 2nd fate probably wouldn't save it from still being captured, just decrease its chances of getting caught. Unless you have other stuff planned for it that I don't know about, My perspective is that a story like that would be interesting, but it sounds like it would get repetitive if its told too much, and I don't really see a lot of other stuff you can do with it. A story like this sounds like a very short story that's 3 chapters long at most.

    Unless.... Shiny Pokemon in your fic have more differences than regular Pokes instead of just color, such as having magical powers, connections to other worlds (like heaven!), or some other quirk. That would keep it interesting for me at least, making them different from the games' shinies would add a little more suspense. Other than that, I think your story idea could potentially be great, just a short-lived story that doesn't last too long. But then again I'm a terrible critic anyway so there's more likely than not, something I'm oblivious to and I'm being ignorant.

    The eveelution idea.. That depends on what the defining trait about it actually is. I don't really know enough about that one to have an opinion.
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

  22. #1422
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Carrion Isle
    Posts
    738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pika Kong View Post
    First things first: The Shiny Wild Pokemon idea. Personally I think that's a great idea since I love the vibe I see from reading that: Someone who is special, but dislikes being special because everyone's got their eyes on him/her and he/she wants his/her privacy. That sounds like a cool character to me, and I'd be interested to see how that fic would end. However, there is one thing that makes me a little iffy: Though the ending could probably be interesting, a story like that sounds like the ending would be best if it came fast. Your idea is cool and all, but it also sounds a little straightforward and simplistic, and it seems kinda limited in the amount of stories you can tell about it. The other vibe I'm seeing from it is that most of the story would involve your shiny Pokemon repeatedly trying to evade the many humans that capture it until it does caught, remove its shininess, or find a place where it can evade permanently... although the 2nd fate probably wouldn't save it from still being captured, just decrease its chances of getting caught. Unless you have other stuff planned for it that I don't know about, My perspective is that a story like that would be interesting, but it sounds like it would get repetitive if its told too much, and I don't really see a lot of other stuff you can do with it. A story like this sounds like a very short story that's 3 chapters long at most.

    Unless.... Shiny Pokemon in your fic have more differences than regular Pokes instead of just color, such as having magical powers, connections to other worlds (like heaven!), or some other quirk. That would keep it interesting for me at least, making them different from the games' shinies would add a little more suspense. Other than that, I think your story idea could potentially be great, just a short-lived story that doesn't last too long. But then again I'm a terrible critic anyway so there's more likely than not, something I'm oblivious to and I'm being ignorant.
    I think that the shiny pokemon would make a great side character. Their time of focus would have to be short, as Pika Kong mentioned, but as a side character it could pop up once a few chapters and keep it interesting. Having privileges for being shiny... I wouldn't read that. I am against that idea for some reason.

  23. #1423
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ████
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GalladeofSpades View Post
    I've had an idea for a PMD fic using important points and characters from the French Revolution. Of course, there will be some changes so it won't be that predictable to anyone with general history knowledge and because I'm too lazy to research every single fact about the revolution , but what I'd like to know is, does this sound like it's possible?
    I'm a bit antsy about this idea because of the strikeout humor there. Because while, yeah, Kalos does have shades of French history to it, the thing is that the point of XY isn't to be a historical fiction. By contrast, this fic is, so historical accuracy is part of the point. Sure, you might want to just capture the aesthetic or general feel of the period, but the general feel of the period is often tied into what was going on—the politics, the culture, the main figures, and so forth. (Incidentally, side nitpick, but please call historical figures figures and not characters. Characters implies that you're talking about fictional people, but the people of the revolution were very much real.) So if you go in blind and too lazy to do research on points you might not think are important, you might end up messing up the feel that you're aiming for with either anachronisms (read: things that belong to other time periods) or straight-up errors. It'd be a lot like taking that joke that every Canadian has a moose and rides to school on snowmobiles and using that as the basis of a serious fanfic set in modern-day Canada.

    Another thing to keep in mind is that this is someone's history. I'm not sure if you're actually from France, and I'm certainly not sure how seriously the French take the revolution (as in, I'm not sure if they take it just as seriously as Americans take their revolution). But the point is, that's really another thing to be careful about because there's a chance that someone might not be completely okay with a historically inaccurate portrayal of an important part of their history and culture. (Granted, that didn't stop the Les Mis fandom, but shh.)

    But assuming that you're kidding and/or that you've at least done some research on the major points (enough to understand the politics behind the revolution, the timeline, and who the major players were), I have to say that historical fiction isn't something normally tackled in the fandom. That isn't to say it's a bad thing. It's simply to say it'd be interesting. However, all reservations about the historical accuracy aside, I'm really curious about the fact that this is a PMD fic. How exactly are you going to insert humans into the PMD universe when one of the main plot points of PMD is that humans don't exist (anymore)?

    I don't know. In all, while I'm all for people tackling genres that aren't often touched in the Pokémon fandom, I don't think these two will mesh well, sorry to say. Not unless you bring up specifics on how it'll be done and clarify how much research you're putting into it.

    REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

    The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

    The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

  24. #1424
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    20

    Default

    @ JX, I'd like to address just one thing in ur response to him

    Quote Originally Posted by JX Valentine View Post
    I'm a bit antsy about this idea
    Wouldn't a better word be Iffy or Doubtful?
    Antsy Definition: Restless, Fidgety, Nervous

    Kind of a bad word choice in a situation like this
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

  25. #1425
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ████
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pika Kong View Post
    Wouldn't a better word be Iffy or Doubtful?
    Antsy Definition: Restless, Fidgety, Nervous
    No.

    See also: Merriam-Webster, second definition.

    Also, I'd really hate to be hostile, but it's rather bad form to correct someone's grammar in a non-lit post unless the person's point is about grammar. I mean, first off, it's rather off-topic and kinda disrespectful to the topic starter. (For example, we're right now detracting attention from Gallade and anyone else who needs help developing ideas.) Second, people who correct someone else's grammar in a non-fic post usually do it to embarrass the person they're correcting, but in the process, they tend to make enough mistakes to ... well. You probably get the idea. In this case, if you're really going to correct me on word usage, I could point out your random capitalization, the fact that you're using "ur," or the lack of punctuation in your post, and all of these points almost dampen the effect of what you were trying to do. That said, considering the fact that my post was about whether or not Gallade's idea would work and considering the fact that what I had to say could be understood regardless of whether or not I had used antsy correctly (which, as we've just established thanks to Merriam-Webster, I had), the point concerning my word choice is a rather moot one. However, the point concerning your grammar may or may not be in this particular discussion, depending on how much you'll insist on trying to correct my grammar publicly outside of my fics.

    Again, sorry to be a mite on the aggressive side, but lots of hilarious folks out there have tried to do exactly what you've done as a passive-aggressive way of telling me they don't particularly care for me. If you want to correct me, go right ahead, but please at least do your research before trying. That and, of course, bring it up through an appropriate medium. *motions to her fanfic and VM wall*

    Edit: Assuming that you brought this up because of what I said concerning your reviewer guide, all I can say is that there is a distinct difference between fic posts and discussion posts. Fic posts are meant to be read like actual books, which means they're meant to be similar in quality to actual books. Discussion posts, meanwhile, are not necessarily meant to be either. Therefore, fics are open for concrit; discussion posts are not. (Again, unless the subject is grammar, and sometimes not even then.) Either way, at the very least, you'll probably not want to use "ur" or other chatspeak when talking about other people's grammar. Sure, it's shorthand, but you also don't want to come across as a hypocrite, right?
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 22nd July 2014 at 5:56 AM.

    REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

    The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

    The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475354555657585960 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •