Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8485455565758
Results 1,426 to 1,432 of 1432

Thread: Fic ideas V.2

  1. #1426
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chicken Smoothie
    Posts
    309

    Default

    @Pika Kong: Eh, even though that would most likely be really short, I'm not good at long fics. DX My pre-PMD2 fic has basically died and I'm concerned about the future of an unwritten LOZ fanfic of mine.
    *prods user title with a spork* I know full well what "hagane no kokoro" means. It means "heart of steel", or "fullmetal heart" if your name is Viz Media.



    PokéFarm Q

  2. #1427
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    A giant floating house. Go me.
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Infernape the III View Post
    Well, some people have compared the history of Kalos, most notably Parfum Palace, as similar to French History and the Revolution. So maybe one of the character's could be AZ/Eternal Floette, in the past getting ready to unleash the ultimate weapon (Yveltal) and you must find Xerneas to help save the lives of the pokemon?
    Actually, since I had this idea way before XY, I was thinking about the story following the traditional route of the French revolution, and the main character would, just like every other PMD, would be an amnesiac human turned Pokémon.

    Quote Originally Posted by JX Valentine View Post
    I'm a bit antsy about this idea because of the strikeout humor there. Because while, yeah, Kalos does have shades of French history to it, the thing is that the point of XY isn't to be a historical fiction. By contrast, this fic is, so historical accuracy is part of the point. Sure, you might want to just capture the aesthetic or general feel of the period, but the general feel of the period is often tied into what was going on—the politics, the culture, the main figures, and so forth. (Incidentally, side nitpick, but please call historical figures figures and not characters. Characters implies that you're talking about fictional people, but the people of the revolution were very much real.) So if you go in blind and too lazy to do research on points you might not think are important, you might end up messing up the feel that you're aiming for with either anachronisms (read: things that belong to other time periods) or straight-up errors. It'd be a lot like taking that joke that every Canadian has a moose and rides to school on snowmobiles and using that as the basis of a serious fanfic set in modern-day Canada.

    Another thing to keep in mind is that this is someone's history. I'm not sure if you're actually from France, and I'm certainly not sure how seriously the French take the revolution (as in, I'm not sure if they take it just as seriously as Americans take their revolution). But the point is, that's really another thing to be careful about because there's a chance that someone might not be completely okay with a historically inaccurate portrayal of an important part of their history and culture. (Granted, that didn't stop the Les Mis fandom, but shh.)

    But assuming that you're kidding and/or that you've at least done some research on the major points (enough to understand the politics behind the revolution, the timeline, and who the major players were), I have to say that historical fiction isn't something normally tackled in the fandom. That isn't to say it's a bad thing. It's simply to say it'd be interesting. However, all reservations about the historical accuracy aside, I'm really curious about the fact that this is a PMD fic. How exactly are you going to insert humans into the PMD universe when one of the main plot points of PMD is that humans don't exist (anymore)?

    I don't know. In all, while I'm all for people tackling genres that aren't often touched in the Pokémon fandom, I don't think these two will mesh well, sorry to say. Not unless you bring up specifics on how it'll be done and clarify how much research you're putting into it.
    First of all, thank you for taking the time to put things in perspectives that I've never thought of before. I realize that I might not have thought this one through.

    Moving on, of course the strikethrough part was a joke. Besides having a basic timeline of the Revolution from this last school year, I plan to look more into it, especially the lesser known periods, meaning, the part up to Marie Antoinette's execution and the rule of Robespierre, which I think are really well known, won't be part of my research if I go forward with this idea. (Though, if I find it lacking I'll research it a bit more.)

    By the way, thanks for reminding me that it was figures. I couldn't remember, and all I could remember was characters because, well, the word story was in my head. Sorry about that, to anyone I might've offended.

    Also, subtle (or not so subtle when I think about it) distortions to real life events have been done countless times before, iirc. The Assassin's Creed series is a great example of this, from what I've heard. Though I am a bit afraid of insulting someone's culture now if I do go forward with this... (To whoever is from France, I assure you, I will make Robespierre a villain if I do this. If I know something about French culture (and I really hope this isn't wrong), is that you hate the Terror period and that it was horrible and frightful)

    Finally, I had this idea way before XY (though back then it had undertones of Classical Mythology. It still kinda has one, but I'm trying to change that), so no connections to Kalos... maybe. It gave me an idea. Anyway, I just thought of the traditional way of putting a human in the Pokémon world: amnesiac humans turned Pokémon. Though, one of them is a Phantump, so maybe I would play a little with it's dex entry.

    If you do need more clarification, just feel free to ask. I'm always open to suggestions and I love seeing your point of view. It makes me think.

  3. #1428
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ████
    Posts
    1,017

    Default

    Finally getting a chance to respond! Sorry about that!

    Quote Originally Posted by GalladeofSpades View Post
    Moving on, of course the strikethrough part was a joke. Besides having a basic timeline of the Revolution from this last school year, I plan to look more into it, especially the lesser known periods, meaning, the part up to Marie Antoinette's execution and the rule of Robespierre, which I think are really well known, won't be part of my research if I go forward with this idea. (Though, if I find it lacking I'll research it a bit more.)
    Awesome. In that case, why, yes, I would like to see more historical Pokémon fic.

    By the way, thanks for reminding me that it was figures. I couldn't remember, and all I could remember was characters because, well, the word story was in my head. Sorry about that, to anyone I might've offended.
    No prob. XD Happens to the best of us.

    Also, subtle (or not so subtle when I think about it) distortions to real life events have been done countless times before, iirc. The Assassin's Creed series is a great example of this, from what I've heard.
    True, but it's usually done after a lot of research. What makes things like Assassin's Creed (or, really, any other fictional work set in a historical time period, particularly those that mess with historical facts and figures) interesting is the attention to detail things like that put forth. A lot of work goes into capturing the spirit of the time period, so historical fiction frequently acts more like an AU than its own thing. And by "AU," I mean "what-if scenario in which something has changed, and the rest of the work partly revolves around the question of how things end up being different because of that change." Either that or the "same timeline from a different perspective" variety. So while historical fiction does take its liberties, you can usually see where and why at the same time, and it's usually pretty clear that the liberties are being taken not because the writer didn't do their homework but instead because it's necessary for the storyline to take those measures.

    For well-written historical fiction, anyway. The other variety (the type of fiction in which things are fudged just because the research side of things could've been better) does exist, and you usually can tell that it does because the world-building isn't as great as it can be. Either that, or the historical inaccuracies are just kinda obvious to people who know what to look for (read: probably your readers).

    'Course, there's also the other variety of so-so historical fiction, wherein the story sticks so closely to its research that it ends up reading like a slightly dramatized textbook, so in short, writing historical fic is definitely a balancing act. Writers end up having to figure out where that balance between taking liberties and staying true to history actually is for their particular story, but the first step is definitely doing one's homework first and figuring out from there what should stay and what should go. Or doing cursory research into what would be most relevant. (Unfortunately, as boring as politics can be, all of them are relevant to the revolution.)

    Which brings up the other point!

    Though I am a bit afraid of insulting someone's culture now if I do go forward with this...
    Aww, sorry about the discouragement on my part there. What I meant to say was if you do your homework and work hard at putting together your story, it might be doable. But one of the other bigger issues to contend with is whether or not the readers will know if you forget something rather important.

    Putting it another way, think about the American Revolution (assuming you're American). You've probably spent a good chunk of your early life learning about the revolution. You probably know the battles, some of the generals, what led to the war—you get the idea. So let's say someone from another country tries to write a fic about the American Revolution, but they don't know that much about it. If you sat down to read that fic, only to find that the story says the entire war was just over tea, you'd probably notice, right? And you'd also probably notice if the fic said John Adams was a general, right? You might not be offended, but you'd know. And if you know, then that might affect the way you read that fic—as in, it might keep you from taking it seriously, even if it's trying to be serious.

    That's what you'll want to avoid with a fic about someone else's history, in other words. In quite a few cases, sure, definitely, you'd not want to offend anyone by portraying their culture and history incorrectly. (There are some cases where doing that would be considered racist.) But in general, including in this case, you'll also want to be careful because mistakes might be noticeable.

    So! End of the story is, I didn't mean to scare you, and I'm so sorry about that. D: But if it helps, you can probably get by without too much worry. Buuuuut it does require some homework-doing on your part. I'd also check with the French to see what's considered absolute common knowledge for them and make sure you keep that part in mind too when you sit down to write.

    Finally, I had this idea way before XY (though back then it had undertones of Classical Mythology. It still kinda has one, but I'm trying to change that), so no connections to Kalos... maybe. It gave me an idea. Anyway, I just thought of the traditional way of putting a human in the Pokémon world: amnesiac humans turned Pokémon. Though, one of them is a Phantump, so maybe I would play a little with it's dex entry.

    If you do need more clarification, just feel free to ask. I'm always open to suggestions and I love seeing your point of view. It makes me think.
    Hmm. I am still a bit curious because I'm trying to envision which world this is. So right now, I'm thinking this might be one of three scenarios:

    1. The story takes place in the human-inhabited Pokémon world, so you're talking about the actual French Revolution (according to their world, I mean), but a single human was turned into a Pokémon.

    2. This is a Pokémon-inhabited world (i.e., the PMD universe), so you'd have things like a Pikachu Marie Antoinette and so forth.

    3. It's both (in that it's a single universe), and a Pokémon with ties to the French Revolution has stumbled into a PMD timeline in which the revolution has already happened a long, long time ago, back when humans were still around.

    The first and third might be interesting to read about because you'd be doing a lot of world-building or history-exploring, and that just sounds fascinating. (That and it'd suck if some dude had to deal with the revolution and being turned into a Pokémon, and that sounds hilarious.) The second ... I don't know. It might come off as a bit of a gimmick for the same reason no one does Romeo and Juliet-but-with-Pokémon adaptations anymore: because things just seemed forced. Like, those two elements were two separate things, but overlaying one with the other (i.e., saying, "It's this, but with Pokémon") tends to take the easy route of getting that crossover to work, whereas establishing explanations and finding ways to take the two incompatible things and piece them together so that they're still separate but also fit together (if that even makes sense) tends to make for stronger fic with more expansive worlds. That and it'd probably be difficult to take the French Revolution seriously if a bunch of Pikachu stood in for half the royal court, y'know?

    In other words, if you're taking the history of the human-inhabited Pokémon world and connecting it to a separate PMD world or if you're just taking some elements of the PMD universe and throwing them into the human-based French Revolution, that might be interesting. If you're recasting the French Revolution with Pokémon, that might be harder to swallow.

    So! Definitely interested in hearing more about how these two worlds will mesh together, but with the explanations you've just given us, it does sound rather intriguing.

    REBOOT: Chapter twelve now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

    The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

    The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

  4. #1429
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Where you least expect me.
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Are there any good stories about Mega-Evolution? I'd like to see (or maybe write) a story with one of the center focuses being mega evolution. Imagine: could mega evolution work in an Pokemon-only setting? The anime says they need a strong bond for it to work, but could other Pokemon work?

    Also, how does it know which Pokemon you mega evolved? (Since only once per battle?) Perhaps it works depending on how many trainer stone (or w/e they're called) you have, so you could mevolve two Pokemon if you had two; or, maybe the energies can sense it (but then, would it interfere with the opponent's mega evolution? Clearly not, right?)

    Bonds is an interesting thing in Pokemon. It'd be cool to see maybe a Dark and Edgier version of this, where a trainer can't mega evolve his Pokemon because he was too harsh on it when it started losing, and the bond slowly starts to break, maybe even causing de-mega evolution in mid-battle. The end result has a lot of possible conclusions, too. (Replaces MC pokemon for another one that can mevolve, pokemon commits suicide, pokemon turns on trainer, etc.)

    That said, some lighter hearted stories seem interesting too: it's the ultimate Deus Ex Machina, but perhaps there are some twists you could pull -- how far away does the Trainer / Bonded Pokemon Partner have to be for mega evolution to occur? It can surprise a reader if a Pokemon mega evolves while the stone's counterpart is all the way across the globe! Perhaps a Pokemon starts out like Charizard did for Ash and gains respect towards the end to achieve mega evolution.

    I may write a story in the future, but since this is an idea sharing thread, I'd love it if someone else explored this new depth to Pokemon more in the fandom, too.
    Last edited by Shurtugal; 25th July 2014 at 11:48 PM.

  5. #1430
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Carrion Isle
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shurtugal View Post
    Are there any good stories about Mega-Evolution? I'd like to see (or maybe write) a story with one of the center focuses being mega evolution. Imagine: could mega evolution work in an Pokemon-only setting? The anime says they need a strong bond for it to work, but could other Pokemon work?
    As shown in the Genesect movie, humans are not required to Mega Evolve. Mewtwo had no bonds with any humans at all, yet could Mega Evolve.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shurtugal View Post
    Also, how does it know which Pokemon you mega evolved? (Since only once per battle?) Perhaps it works depending on how many trainer stone (or w/e they're called) you have, so you could mevolve two Pokemon if you had two; or, maybe the energies can sense it (but then, would it interfere with the opponent's mega evolution? Clearly not, right?)
    I think what you mean by that is if you have two pokemon out at the same time that could Mega Evolve, like if Ash sent out his Charizard and Sceptile in a double battle, both with their Mega Stones. I have no idea, but I think it would be the one with the better bond. Maybe it Mega Evolves faster or something, so it finishes first, causing the other pokemon's Mega Evolution to be interrupted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shurtugal View Post
    Bonds is an interesting thing in Pokemon. It'd be cool to see maybe a Dark and Edgier version of this, where a trainer can't mega evolve his Pokemon because he was too harsh on it when it started losing, and the bond slowly starts to break, maybe even causing de-mega evolution in mid-battle. The end result has a lot of possible conclusions, too. (Replaces MC pokemon for another one that can mevolve, pokemon commits suicide, pokemon turns on trainer, etc.)
    It would be interesting to see a story like this. I think that it would be the main character's rival that had these problems, as if they used to have a Mega Gardevoir but as the Gardevoir was mistreated it was replaced with a Mega Gengar.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shurtugal View Post
    That said, some lighter hearted stories seem interesting too: it's the ultimate Deus Ex Machina, but perhaps there are some twists you could pull -- how far away does the Trainer / Bonded Pokemon Partner have to be for mega evolution to occur? It can surprise a reader if a Pokemon mega evolves while the stone's counterpart is all the way across the globe! Perhaps a Pokemon starts out like Charizard did for Ash and gains respect towards the end to achieve mega evolution.

    I may write a story in the future, but since this is an idea sharing thread, I'd love it if someone else explored this new depth to Pokemon more in the fandom, too.
    Far away Mega Evolution? I don't see why not. Take note that during the first few chapters a background for the characters should be set: How they met their pokemon, how they got the Mega Stone, how they created a powerful bond, etc., then go into the specifics of Mega Evolution.


    Credit to Sworn Metalhead.
    I have officially claimed Infernape and Henry from Fire Emblem: Awakening!
        Spoiler:- Pokemon Anime Style Battling League:

  6. #1431
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Where you least expect me.
    Posts
    16

    Default

    (Note: typing this response on my phone so grammar may vary.)

    No, what I had meant was: how does it know to only allow one mega evolution? If it relies on the Trainer's stone alone for his specific pokemon, would having two Trainer stones allow you to mega evolve two of your Pokemon instead of one per battle?

    I had meant the MC as the Main Character of the story, not the Hero. If the story was about the Hero's rival, then he would be the MC.

    I gotta watch the Mewtwo movie: the mega evolution specials says "Mega evolution could not have existed before humans," impluing they are mandatory, even though Mewtwo is a clear exception? Weird! I'll watch the movie tomorrow

    Thanks for entertaining my ideas!

  7. #1432
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    A giant floating house. Go me.
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JX Valentine View Post


    True, but it's usually done after a lot of research. What makes things like Assassin's Creed (or, really, any other fictional work set in a historical time period, particularly those that mess with historical facts and figures) interesting is the attention to detail things like that put forth. A lot of work goes into capturing the spirit of the time period, so historical fiction frequently acts more like an AU than its own thing. And by "AU," I mean "what-if scenario in which something has changed, and the rest of the work partly revolves around the question of how things end up being different because of that change." Either that or the "same timeline from a different perspective" variety. So while historical fiction does take its liberties, you can usually see where and why at the same time, and it's usually pretty clear that the liberties are being taken not because the writer didn't do their homework but instead because it's necessary for the storyline to take those measures.

    For well-written historical fiction, anyway. The other variety (the type of fiction in which things are fudged just because the research side of things could've been better) does exist, and you usually can tell that it does because the world-building isn't as great as it can be. Either that, or the historical inaccuracies are just kinda obvious to people who know what to look for (read: probably your readers).

    'Course, there's also the other variety of so-so historical fiction, wherein the story sticks so closely to its research that it ends up reading like a slightly dramatized textbook, so in short, writing historical fic is definitely a balancing act. Writers end up having to figure out where that balance between taking liberties and staying true to history actually is for their particular story, but the first step is definitely doing one's homework first and figuring out from there what should stay and what should go. Or doing cursory research into what would be most relevant. (Unfortunately, as boring as politics can be, all of them are relevant to the revolution.)
    Argh, good point. And given the fact that I hate politics and I failed to include any political talk in the general outline in my head, I'm thinking about returning to the blackboard with this idea.

    That and a plot bunny for a trainer fic that popped up when I was watching Yugioh Arc V online the other day. But more on that later!


    Putting it another way, think about the American Revolution (assuming you're American). You've probably spent a good chunk of your early life learning about the revolution. You probably know the battles, some of the generals, what led to the war—you get the idea. So let's say someone from another country tries to write a fic about the American Revolution, but they don't know that much about it. If you sat down to read that fic, only to find that the story says the entire war was just over tea, you'd probably notice, right? And you'd also probably notice if the fic said John Adams was a general, right? You might not be offended, but you'd know. And if you know, then that might affect the way you read that fic—as in, it might keep you from taking it seriously, even if it's trying to be serious.

    That's what you'll want to avoid with a fic about someone else's history, in other words. In quite a few cases, sure, definitely, you'd not want to offend anyone by portraying their culture and history incorrectly. (There are some cases where doing that would be considered racist.) But in general, including in this case, you'll also want to be careful because mistakes might be noticeable.
    I'm actually Portuguese-American, so both the American and Portuguese revolutions are somewhat important to me. xD I get what you're getting at, though. It's like shooting an apple on someone's head: bad things happen when you miss.

    So! End of the story is, I didn't mean to scare you, and I'm so sorry about that. D: But if it helps, you can probably get by without too much worry. Buuuuut it does require some homework-doing on your part. I'd also check with the French to see what's considered absolute common knowledge for them and make sure you keep that part in mind too when you sit down to write.
    YOU BETTER BE SORRY I WAS STRESS EATING I mean, of course you didn't mean it. You were just giving me advice.

    Hmm. I am still a bit curious because I'm trying to envision which world this is. So right now, I'm thinking this might be one of three scenarios:

    1. The story takes place in the human-inhabited Pokémon world, so you're talking about the actual French Revolution (according to their world, I mean), but a single human was turned into a Pokémon.

    2. This is a Pokémon-inhabited world (i.e., the PMD universe), so you'd have things like a Pikachu Marie Antoinette and so forth.

    3. It's both (in that it's a single universe), and a Pokémon with ties to the French Revolution has stumbled into a PMD timeline in which the revolution has already happened a long, long time ago, back when humans were still around.

    The first and third might be interesting to read about because you'd be doing a lot of world-building or history-exploring, and that just sounds fascinating. (That and it'd suck if some dude had to deal with the revolution and being turned into a Pokémon, and that sounds hilarious.) The second ... I don't know. It might come off as a bit of a gimmick for the same reason no one does Romeo and Juliet-but-with-Pokémon adaptations anymore: because things just seemed forced. Like, those two elements were two separate things, but overlaying one with the other (i.e., saying, "It's this, but with Pokémon") tends to take the easy route of getting that crossover to work, whereas establishing explanations and finding ways to take the two incompatible things and piece them together so that they're still separate but also fit together (if that even makes sense) tends to make for stronger fic with more expansive worlds.
    ... I am now ashamed to say that it was option number two, but you did give me ideas to further expand the plot and possibly rework it. Which is why this idea is going back to the drawing board for some needed tweaking. Let's see what comes out of this crazy brain.

    That and it'd probably be difficult to take the French Revolution seriously if a bunch of Pikachu stood in for half the royal court, y'know?
    When you say it like that, it sounds like a horrible idea. Seriously. There was actually a Pikachu Count Fersen and an Aromatisse Marie Antoinette. And Minun as Robespierre.... Yup, back to the drawing board.



    Anyway, there was another plot bunny in my mind that decided to rear it's lovely tail and wag it at me cutely the other day. And now I can't stop thinking about it.
        Spoiler:- The Story:


    Would this be a good idea or not? Is there any explanation needed? Any advice on how to pull this fic off?

Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8485455565758

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •