Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859 LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1460

Thread: Fic ideas V.2

  1. #1426
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chicken Smoothie
    Posts
    466

    Default

    @Pika Kong: Eh, even though that would most likely be really short, I'm not good at long fics. DX My pre-PMD2 fic has basically died and I'm concerned about the future of an unwritten LOZ fanfic of mine.

    No matter how great the distance is between us… Even if we never meet again… Our hearts will always be together.
    I will always be with you even in spirit. Forever and ever.

  2. #1427
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stuck in a Ferris Wheel
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Infernape the III View Post
    Well, some people have compared the history of Kalos, most notably Parfum Palace, as similar to French History and the Revolution. So maybe one of the character's could be AZ/Eternal Floette, in the past getting ready to unleash the ultimate weapon (Yveltal) and you must find Xerneas to help save the lives of the pokemon?
    Actually, since I had this idea way before XY, I was thinking about the story following the traditional route of the French revolution, and the main character would, just like every other PMD, would be an amnesiac human turned Pokémon.

    Quote Originally Posted by JX Valentine View Post
    I'm a bit antsy about this idea because of the strikeout humor there. Because while, yeah, Kalos does have shades of French history to it, the thing is that the point of XY isn't to be a historical fiction. By contrast, this fic is, so historical accuracy is part of the point. Sure, you might want to just capture the aesthetic or general feel of the period, but the general feel of the period is often tied into what was going on—the politics, the culture, the main figures, and so forth. (Incidentally, side nitpick, but please call historical figures figures and not characters. Characters implies that you're talking about fictional people, but the people of the revolution were very much real.) So if you go in blind and too lazy to do research on points you might not think are important, you might end up messing up the feel that you're aiming for with either anachronisms (read: things that belong to other time periods) or straight-up errors. It'd be a lot like taking that joke that every Canadian has a moose and rides to school on snowmobiles and using that as the basis of a serious fanfic set in modern-day Canada.

    Another thing to keep in mind is that this is someone's history. I'm not sure if you're actually from France, and I'm certainly not sure how seriously the French take the revolution (as in, I'm not sure if they take it just as seriously as Americans take their revolution). But the point is, that's really another thing to be careful about because there's a chance that someone might not be completely okay with a historically inaccurate portrayal of an important part of their history and culture. (Granted, that didn't stop the Les Mis fandom, but shh.)

    But assuming that you're kidding and/or that you've at least done some research on the major points (enough to understand the politics behind the revolution, the timeline, and who the major players were), I have to say that historical fiction isn't something normally tackled in the fandom. That isn't to say it's a bad thing. It's simply to say it'd be interesting. However, all reservations about the historical accuracy aside, I'm really curious about the fact that this is a PMD fic. How exactly are you going to insert humans into the PMD universe when one of the main plot points of PMD is that humans don't exist (anymore)?

    I don't know. In all, while I'm all for people tackling genres that aren't often touched in the Pokémon fandom, I don't think these two will mesh well, sorry to say. Not unless you bring up specifics on how it'll be done and clarify how much research you're putting into it.
    First of all, thank you for taking the time to put things in perspectives that I've never thought of before. I realize that I might not have thought this one through.

    Moving on, of course the strikethrough part was a joke. Besides having a basic timeline of the Revolution from this last school year, I plan to look more into it, especially the lesser known periods, meaning, the part up to Marie Antoinette's execution and the rule of Robespierre, which I think are really well known, won't be part of my research if I go forward with this idea. (Though, if I find it lacking I'll research it a bit more.)

    By the way, thanks for reminding me that it was figures. I couldn't remember, and all I could remember was characters because, well, the word story was in my head. Sorry about that, to anyone I might've offended.

    Also, subtle (or not so subtle when I think about it) distortions to real life events have been done countless times before, iirc. The Assassin's Creed series is a great example of this, from what I've heard. Though I am a bit afraid of insulting someone's culture now if I do go forward with this... (To whoever is from France, I assure you, I will make Robespierre a villain if I do this. If I know something about French culture (and I really hope this isn't wrong), is that you hate the Terror period and that it was horrible and frightful)

    Finally, I had this idea way before XY (though back then it had undertones of Classical Mythology. It still kinda has one, but I'm trying to change that), so no connections to Kalos... maybe. It gave me an idea. Anyway, I just thought of the traditional way of putting a human in the Pokémon world: amnesiac humans turned Pokémon. Though, one of them is a Phantump, so maybe I would play a little with it's dex entry.

    If you do need more clarification, just feel free to ask. I'm always open to suggestions and I love seeing your point of view. It makes me think.

  3. #1428
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ████
    Posts
    1,095

    Default

    Finally getting a chance to respond! Sorry about that!

    Quote Originally Posted by GalladeofSpades View Post
    Moving on, of course the strikethrough part was a joke. Besides having a basic timeline of the Revolution from this last school year, I plan to look more into it, especially the lesser known periods, meaning, the part up to Marie Antoinette's execution and the rule of Robespierre, which I think are really well known, won't be part of my research if I go forward with this idea. (Though, if I find it lacking I'll research it a bit more.)
    Awesome. In that case, why, yes, I would like to see more historical Pokémon fic.

    By the way, thanks for reminding me that it was figures. I couldn't remember, and all I could remember was characters because, well, the word story was in my head. Sorry about that, to anyone I might've offended.
    No prob. XD Happens to the best of us.

    Also, subtle (or not so subtle when I think about it) distortions to real life events have been done countless times before, iirc. The Assassin's Creed series is a great example of this, from what I've heard.
    True, but it's usually done after a lot of research. What makes things like Assassin's Creed (or, really, any other fictional work set in a historical time period, particularly those that mess with historical facts and figures) interesting is the attention to detail things like that put forth. A lot of work goes into capturing the spirit of the time period, so historical fiction frequently acts more like an AU than its own thing. And by "AU," I mean "what-if scenario in which something has changed, and the rest of the work partly revolves around the question of how things end up being different because of that change." Either that or the "same timeline from a different perspective" variety. So while historical fiction does take its liberties, you can usually see where and why at the same time, and it's usually pretty clear that the liberties are being taken not because the writer didn't do their homework but instead because it's necessary for the storyline to take those measures.

    For well-written historical fiction, anyway. The other variety (the type of fiction in which things are fudged just because the research side of things could've been better) does exist, and you usually can tell that it does because the world-building isn't as great as it can be. Either that, or the historical inaccuracies are just kinda obvious to people who know what to look for (read: probably your readers).

    'Course, there's also the other variety of so-so historical fiction, wherein the story sticks so closely to its research that it ends up reading like a slightly dramatized textbook, so in short, writing historical fic is definitely a balancing act. Writers end up having to figure out where that balance between taking liberties and staying true to history actually is for their particular story, but the first step is definitely doing one's homework first and figuring out from there what should stay and what should go. Or doing cursory research into what would be most relevant. (Unfortunately, as boring as politics can be, all of them are relevant to the revolution.)

    Which brings up the other point!

    Though I am a bit afraid of insulting someone's culture now if I do go forward with this...
    Aww, sorry about the discouragement on my part there. What I meant to say was if you do your homework and work hard at putting together your story, it might be doable. But one of the other bigger issues to contend with is whether or not the readers will know if you forget something rather important.

    Putting it another way, think about the American Revolution (assuming you're American). You've probably spent a good chunk of your early life learning about the revolution. You probably know the battles, some of the generals, what led to the war—you get the idea. So let's say someone from another country tries to write a fic about the American Revolution, but they don't know that much about it. If you sat down to read that fic, only to find that the story says the entire war was just over tea, you'd probably notice, right? And you'd also probably notice if the fic said John Adams was a general, right? You might not be offended, but you'd know. And if you know, then that might affect the way you read that fic—as in, it might keep you from taking it seriously, even if it's trying to be serious.

    That's what you'll want to avoid with a fic about someone else's history, in other words. In quite a few cases, sure, definitely, you'd not want to offend anyone by portraying their culture and history incorrectly. (There are some cases where doing that would be considered racist.) But in general, including in this case, you'll also want to be careful because mistakes might be noticeable.

    So! End of the story is, I didn't mean to scare you, and I'm so sorry about that. D: But if it helps, you can probably get by without too much worry. Buuuuut it does require some homework-doing on your part. I'd also check with the French to see what's considered absolute common knowledge for them and make sure you keep that part in mind too when you sit down to write.

    Finally, I had this idea way before XY (though back then it had undertones of Classical Mythology. It still kinda has one, but I'm trying to change that), so no connections to Kalos... maybe. It gave me an idea. Anyway, I just thought of the traditional way of putting a human in the Pokémon world: amnesiac humans turned Pokémon. Though, one of them is a Phantump, so maybe I would play a little with it's dex entry.

    If you do need more clarification, just feel free to ask. I'm always open to suggestions and I love seeing your point of view. It makes me think.
    Hmm. I am still a bit curious because I'm trying to envision which world this is. So right now, I'm thinking this might be one of three scenarios:

    1. The story takes place in the human-inhabited Pokémon world, so you're talking about the actual French Revolution (according to their world, I mean), but a single human was turned into a Pokémon.

    2. This is a Pokémon-inhabited world (i.e., the PMD universe), so you'd have things like a Pikachu Marie Antoinette and so forth.

    3. It's both (in that it's a single universe), and a Pokémon with ties to the French Revolution has stumbled into a PMD timeline in which the revolution has already happened a long, long time ago, back when humans were still around.

    The first and third might be interesting to read about because you'd be doing a lot of world-building or history-exploring, and that just sounds fascinating. (That and it'd suck if some dude had to deal with the revolution and being turned into a Pokémon, and that sounds hilarious.) The second ... I don't know. It might come off as a bit of a gimmick for the same reason no one does Romeo and Juliet-but-with-Pokémon adaptations anymore: because things just seemed forced. Like, those two elements were two separate things, but overlaying one with the other (i.e., saying, "It's this, but with Pokémon") tends to take the easy route of getting that crossover to work, whereas establishing explanations and finding ways to take the two incompatible things and piece them together so that they're still separate but also fit together (if that even makes sense) tends to make for stronger fic with more expansive worlds. That and it'd probably be difficult to take the French Revolution seriously if a bunch of Pikachu stood in for half the royal court, y'know?

    In other words, if you're taking the history of the human-inhabited Pokémon world and connecting it to a separate PMD world or if you're just taking some elements of the PMD universe and throwing them into the human-based French Revolution, that might be interesting. If you're recasting the French Revolution with Pokémon, that might be harder to swallow.

    So! Definitely interested in hearing more about how these two worlds will mesh together, but with the explanations you've just given us, it does sound rather intriguing.

    REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

    The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

    The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

  4. #1429
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pokemon Square
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Are there any good stories about Mega-Evolution? I'd like to see (or maybe write) a story with one of the center focuses being mega evolution. Imagine: could mega evolution work in an Pokemon-only setting? The anime says they need a strong bond for it to work, but could other Pokemon work?

    Also, how does it know which Pokemon you mega evolved? (Since only once per battle?) Perhaps it works depending on how many trainer stone (or w/e they're called) you have, so you could mevolve two Pokemon if you had two; or, maybe the energies can sense it (but then, would it interfere with the opponent's mega evolution? Clearly not, right?)

    Bonds is an interesting thing in Pokemon. It'd be cool to see maybe a Dark and Edgier version of this, where a trainer can't mega evolve his Pokemon because he was too harsh on it when it started losing, and the bond slowly starts to break, maybe even causing de-mega evolution in mid-battle. The end result has a lot of possible conclusions, too. (Replaces MC pokemon for another one that can mevolve, pokemon commits suicide, pokemon turns on trainer, etc.)

    That said, some lighter hearted stories seem interesting too: it's the ultimate Deus Ex Machina, but perhaps there are some twists you could pull -- how far away does the Trainer / Bonded Pokemon Partner have to be for mega evolution to occur? It can surprise a reader if a Pokemon mega evolves while the stone's counterpart is all the way across the globe! Perhaps a Pokemon starts out like Charizard did for Ash and gains respect towards the end to achieve mega evolution.

    I may write a story in the future, but since this is an idea sharing thread, I'd love it if someone else explored this new depth to Pokemon more in the fandom, too.
    Last edited by Shurtugal; 25th July 2014 at 11:48 PM.

  5. #1430
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Carrion Isle
    Posts
    709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shurtugal View Post
    Are there any good stories about Mega-Evolution? I'd like to see (or maybe write) a story with one of the center focuses being mega evolution. Imagine: could mega evolution work in an Pokemon-only setting? The anime says they need a strong bond for it to work, but could other Pokemon work?
    As shown in the Genesect movie, humans are not required to Mega Evolve. Mewtwo had no bonds with any humans at all, yet could Mega Evolve.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shurtugal View Post
    Also, how does it know which Pokemon you mega evolved? (Since only once per battle?) Perhaps it works depending on how many trainer stone (or w/e they're called) you have, so you could mevolve two Pokemon if you had two; or, maybe the energies can sense it (but then, would it interfere with the opponent's mega evolution? Clearly not, right?)
    I think what you mean by that is if you have two pokemon out at the same time that could Mega Evolve, like if Ash sent out his Charizard and Sceptile in a double battle, both with their Mega Stones. I have no idea, but I think it would be the one with the better bond. Maybe it Mega Evolves faster or something, so it finishes first, causing the other pokemon's Mega Evolution to be interrupted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shurtugal View Post
    Bonds is an interesting thing in Pokemon. It'd be cool to see maybe a Dark and Edgier version of this, where a trainer can't mega evolve his Pokemon because he was too harsh on it when it started losing, and the bond slowly starts to break, maybe even causing de-mega evolution in mid-battle. The end result has a lot of possible conclusions, too. (Replaces MC pokemon for another one that can mevolve, pokemon commits suicide, pokemon turns on trainer, etc.)
    It would be interesting to see a story like this. I think that it would be the main character's rival that had these problems, as if they used to have a Mega Gardevoir but as the Gardevoir was mistreated it was replaced with a Mega Gengar.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shurtugal View Post
    That said, some lighter hearted stories seem interesting too: it's the ultimate Deus Ex Machina, but perhaps there are some twists you could pull -- how far away does the Trainer / Bonded Pokemon Partner have to be for mega evolution to occur? It can surprise a reader if a Pokemon mega evolves while the stone's counterpart is all the way across the globe! Perhaps a Pokemon starts out like Charizard did for Ash and gains respect towards the end to achieve mega evolution.

    I may write a story in the future, but since this is an idea sharing thread, I'd love it if someone else explored this new depth to Pokemon more in the fandom, too.
    Far away Mega Evolution? I don't see why not. Take note that during the first few chapters a background for the characters should be set: How they met their pokemon, how they got the Mega Stone, how they created a powerful bond, etc., then go into the specifics of Mega Evolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    What do you know the characters from the same series have the same artstyle. Did you also know Mario and Luigi look alike too?
    I only have one thing to say about this.
    You forgot the comma.
    Join this league!

  6. #1431
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pokemon Square
    Posts
    34

    Default

    (Note: typing this response on my phone so grammar may vary.)

    No, what I had meant was: how does it know to only allow one mega evolution? If it relies on the Trainer's stone alone for his specific pokemon, would having two Trainer stones allow you to mega evolve two of your Pokemon instead of one per battle?

    I had meant the MC as the Main Character of the story, not the Hero. If the story was about the Hero's rival, then he would be the MC.

    I gotta watch the Mewtwo movie: the mega evolution specials says "Mega evolution could not have existed before humans," impluing they are mandatory, even though Mewtwo is a clear exception? Weird! I'll watch the movie tomorrow

    Thanks for entertaining my ideas!

  7. #1432
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stuck in a Ferris Wheel
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JX Valentine View Post


    True, but it's usually done after a lot of research. What makes things like Assassin's Creed (or, really, any other fictional work set in a historical time period, particularly those that mess with historical facts and figures) interesting is the attention to detail things like that put forth. A lot of work goes into capturing the spirit of the time period, so historical fiction frequently acts more like an AU than its own thing. And by "AU," I mean "what-if scenario in which something has changed, and the rest of the work partly revolves around the question of how things end up being different because of that change." Either that or the "same timeline from a different perspective" variety. So while historical fiction does take its liberties, you can usually see where and why at the same time, and it's usually pretty clear that the liberties are being taken not because the writer didn't do their homework but instead because it's necessary for the storyline to take those measures.

    For well-written historical fiction, anyway. The other variety (the type of fiction in which things are fudged just because the research side of things could've been better) does exist, and you usually can tell that it does because the world-building isn't as great as it can be. Either that, or the historical inaccuracies are just kinda obvious to people who know what to look for (read: probably your readers).

    'Course, there's also the other variety of so-so historical fiction, wherein the story sticks so closely to its research that it ends up reading like a slightly dramatized textbook, so in short, writing historical fic is definitely a balancing act. Writers end up having to figure out where that balance between taking liberties and staying true to history actually is for their particular story, but the first step is definitely doing one's homework first and figuring out from there what should stay and what should go. Or doing cursory research into what would be most relevant. (Unfortunately, as boring as politics can be, all of them are relevant to the revolution.)
    Argh, good point. And given the fact that I hate politics and I failed to include any political talk in the general outline in my head, I'm thinking about returning to the blackboard with this idea.

    That and a plot bunny for a trainer fic that popped up when I was watching Yugioh Arc V online the other day. But more on that later!


    Putting it another way, think about the American Revolution (assuming you're American). You've probably spent a good chunk of your early life learning about the revolution. You probably know the battles, some of the generals, what led to the war—you get the idea. So let's say someone from another country tries to write a fic about the American Revolution, but they don't know that much about it. If you sat down to read that fic, only to find that the story says the entire war was just over tea, you'd probably notice, right? And you'd also probably notice if the fic said John Adams was a general, right? You might not be offended, but you'd know. And if you know, then that might affect the way you read that fic—as in, it might keep you from taking it seriously, even if it's trying to be serious.

    That's what you'll want to avoid with a fic about someone else's history, in other words. In quite a few cases, sure, definitely, you'd not want to offend anyone by portraying their culture and history incorrectly. (There are some cases where doing that would be considered racist.) But in general, including in this case, you'll also want to be careful because mistakes might be noticeable.
    I'm actually Portuguese-American, so both the American and Portuguese revolutions are somewhat important to me. xD I get what you're getting at, though. It's like shooting an apple on someone's head: bad things happen when you miss.

    So! End of the story is, I didn't mean to scare you, and I'm so sorry about that. D: But if it helps, you can probably get by without too much worry. Buuuuut it does require some homework-doing on your part. I'd also check with the French to see what's considered absolute common knowledge for them and make sure you keep that part in mind too when you sit down to write.
    YOU BETTER BE SORRY I WAS STRESS EATING I mean, of course you didn't mean it. You were just giving me advice.

    Hmm. I am still a bit curious because I'm trying to envision which world this is. So right now, I'm thinking this might be one of three scenarios:

    1. The story takes place in the human-inhabited Pokémon world, so you're talking about the actual French Revolution (according to their world, I mean), but a single human was turned into a Pokémon.

    2. This is a Pokémon-inhabited world (i.e., the PMD universe), so you'd have things like a Pikachu Marie Antoinette and so forth.

    3. It's both (in that it's a single universe), and a Pokémon with ties to the French Revolution has stumbled into a PMD timeline in which the revolution has already happened a long, long time ago, back when humans were still around.

    The first and third might be interesting to read about because you'd be doing a lot of world-building or history-exploring, and that just sounds fascinating. (That and it'd suck if some dude had to deal with the revolution and being turned into a Pokémon, and that sounds hilarious.) The second ... I don't know. It might come off as a bit of a gimmick for the same reason no one does Romeo and Juliet-but-with-Pokémon adaptations anymore: because things just seemed forced. Like, those two elements were two separate things, but overlaying one with the other (i.e., saying, "It's this, but with Pokémon") tends to take the easy route of getting that crossover to work, whereas establishing explanations and finding ways to take the two incompatible things and piece them together so that they're still separate but also fit together (if that even makes sense) tends to make for stronger fic with more expansive worlds.
    ... I am now ashamed to say that it was option number two, but you did give me ideas to further expand the plot and possibly rework it. Which is why this idea is going back to the drawing board for some needed tweaking. Let's see what comes out of this crazy brain.

    That and it'd probably be difficult to take the French Revolution seriously if a bunch of Pikachu stood in for half the royal court, y'know?
    When you say it like that, it sounds like a horrible idea. Seriously. There was actually a Pikachu Count Fersen and an Aromatisse Marie Antoinette. And Minun as Robespierre.... Yup, back to the drawing board.



    Anyway, there was another plot bunny in my mind that decided to rear it's lovely tail and wag it at me cutely the other day. And now I can't stop thinking about it.
        Spoiler:- The Story:


    Would this be a good idea or not? Is there any explanation needed? Any advice on how to pull this fic off?

  8. #1433
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    I'm on a boat mother... what?
    Posts
    5,221

    Default

    I'm thinking of writing a Pokemon/Zombie Apocalypse fic. I have no idea how it would play out but I just think it could be cool. There's probably a lot of those though, so I don't know, will have to think about it

    Quote Originally Posted by GalladeofSpades View Post
    I'm actually Portuguese-American, so both the American and Portuguese revolutions are somewhat important to me. xD I get what you're getting at, though. It's like shooting an apple on someone's head: bad things happen when you miss.
    #portuguese power

  9. #1434
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    In the back of a truck
    Posts
    32

    Default

    I've recently been thinking of story inspired by the Dark Knight trilogy,but I want to know what others think before starting it.

    It revolves around Robert Araldo, a man who lives in Lumiose City, running a recently started airline business. However, at times, he pulls on his red and black costume, and fights crime.

    But that's not all, with the use of a 'talisman' he received when he was young, he is capable of transforming into a Talonflame instantlly.

    I have yet to think up much plot, but I've been caught up in other stuff lately.
    X and Y Shinies: Skrelp and Basculin

    Omega Ruby Planned Team: Swampert, Metagross, Swellow, Manetric, Breloom, Magmar

  10. #1435
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pokemon Square
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamUniverse12 View Post
    I've recently been thinking of story inspired by the Dark Knight trilogy,but I want to know what others think before starting it.

    It revolves around Robert Araldo, a man who lives in Lumiose City, running a recently started airline business. However, at times, he pulls on his red and black costume, and fights crime.

    But that's not all, with the use of a 'talisman' he received when he was young, he is capable of transforming into a Talonflame instantlly.

    I have yet to think up much plot, but I've been caught up in other stuff lately.
    I'm not sure a "talisman" is really a good idea to explain his powers. In Batman, he has money and gadgets to counteract his lack of powers, Peter Parker gets bit by a spider, and Superman is an alien. Some of the most interesting things about these characters therein lie in how the author explains their powers.

    In a Pokemon Fanfiction setting, you'll probably want to engage with the fandom more for an answer. I mean, there are plenty of explanations you could find! I recommend exploring for some answers, because it might give you inspiration to change him from being a Talonflame to something else, seeing as certain Pokemon have certain mythos about them. I guess I can try to name a few ideas: perhaps he was a freak at birth, and no one knows the reason why he can morph into a Pokemon; perhaps he's a Chosen One, and that's the explanation (by Arceus or some other superpowerful Pokemon). Another explanation could be lab genetics (but that's kinda overused), or perhaps he has a sacred object (but it needs to go beyond merely a talisman, like, it should be an item within the games, or perhaps an adaptation of it, or an item that ties into Pokemon in some way). As a fandom reader, I'm more engaged with the story and author that expands it's marks into the fandom more, but I guess this isn't mandatory, but something you should consider.

    Also, you'll want to separate yourself from the "cliche" marvel superhero setup. It's fine to write about a vigilante, but just be aware that giving him a butler named Alfred MAY make your readers look at you sideways. You want to make the idea your own and apart from its inspiration, not a carbon copy of the inspiration.

    When you get more plot ideas, I'll bounce back with you.

  11. #1436
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Carrion Isle
    Posts
    709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamUniverse12 View Post
    I've recently been thinking of story inspired by the Dark Knight trilogy,but I want to know what others think before starting it.

    It revolves around Robert Araldo, a man who lives in Lumiose City, running a recently started airline business. However, at times, he pulls on his red and black costume, and fights crime.

    But that's not all, with the use of a 'talisman' he received when he was young, he is capable of transforming into a Talonflame instantlly.

    I have yet to think up much plot, but I've been caught up in other stuff lately.
    It sounds like Hawlucha would work well using what Shutugal said. Using a Power Herb, he become cloaked in an intense light and comes out of it as a Hawlucha using Sky Attack.

    To get his powers, maybe he tried to capture a Hawlucha to be a promotional character for his airlines or something and the capture is messed up by the main villian who attacks them out of the blue and messes up their DNA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    What do you know the characters from the same series have the same artstyle. Did you also know Mario and Luigi look alike too?
    I only have one thing to say about this.
    You forgot the comma.
    Join this league!

  12. #1437
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default

    i was wondering if anyone could help me come up with a summary for my fic
    you helped me become a hero slade, thank you. - oliver to slade (arrow season 2 finale)

  13. #1438
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ████
    Posts
    1,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edgehead011 View Post
    i was wondering if anyone could help me come up with a summary for my fic
    This thread is actually for helping people hammer out ideas they already have, unfortunately. If you need help summarizing an existing fic or an idea you had, try to think about who's in it and what happens, and try to describe that in a paragraph. Once you figure that part out, you could try tossing it into this thread and seeing if people would read a fic with that kind of summary. We just can't really help you write one from scratch, largely because we don't know what it's about in the first place.

    Hope this helps!

  14. #1439
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JX Valentine View Post
    This thread is actually for helping people hammer out ideas they already have, unfortunately. If you need help summarizing an existing fic or an idea you had, try to think about who's in it and what happens, and try to describe that in a paragraph. Once you figure that part out, you could try tossing it into this thread and seeing if people would read a fic with that kind of summary. We just can't really help you write one from scratch, largely because we don't know what it's about in the first place.

    Hope this helps!
    oh ok ill try that then

    there's an idea floating around in my head about serena getting merged with yevtal somehow and i dont where to go from there
    you helped me become a hero slade, thank you. - oliver to slade (arrow season 2 finale)

  15. #1440
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Not here, not there...
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Perhaps you could take some liberties with the way Mega Stones work? In the game lore, they use the bond between pokemon and trainer to allow the pokemon to temporarily evolve to a higher stage. Maybe Serena finds/is given a supposed Yveltal Mega Stone that is corrupted or something and when she tries to use it the merging happens and they literally bond together?

    |ff.net profile| AO3 |


    New Chapter 5/3 '14: Subject: Connection

    3DS FC: 4012 4165 5899 (Pkmn Y, ACNL)

  16. #1441
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gorgonfish View Post
    Perhaps you could take some liberties with the way Mega Stones work? In the game lore, they use the bond between pokemon and trainer to allow the pokemon to temporarily evolve to a higher stage. Maybe Serena finds/is given a supposed Yveltal Mega Stone that is corrupted or something and when she tries to use it the merging happens and they literally bond together?
    i was thinking that it had attacked her when they met Diancie (or however you spell it) and it left its dna in her in the form of a scar on her back and the only way to change her back is to find yveltal's fabled mega stone to draw him out of her body.
    Last edited by edgehead011; 13th August 2014 at 6:59 PM.
    you helped me become a hero slade, thank you. - oliver to slade (arrow season 2 finale)

  17. #1442
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chicken Smoothie
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Here's another crazy fanfic idea I came up with: A PMD fanfiction with a twist!
    My basic ideas are:
    • The protag of this fic was always a Pokémon.
    • Fanfic-theory about where the humans went.
    I literally have no other ideas besides those two, but I'm thinking about maybe tying it into that 18 Elements fanfic thing I attempted to type up a while ago on WordPad that was never posted anywhere... and maybe it could be a spiritual successor to my dead fanfic Human From the Future...

    No matter how great the distance is between us… Even if we never meet again… Our hearts will always be together.
    I will always be with you even in spirit. Forever and ever.

  18. #1443
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Not here, not there...
    Posts
    41

    Default

    I have a problem of coming up with ideas, writing a few chapters, and then getting distracted by shiny new ideas. I guess you could say this is one of those distracting ideas, so I wanted to kind of test the water and see if it was interesting enough to warrant doing it.

    The project would focus on Lorelei, Celio, Felina Ivy (Professor from Orange Islands), Archer (Rocket Admin), and either Celio's vulpix or Archer's houndour as the pet in an omage fic to Scooby Doo (A Pup Named Scooby Doo specifically). It would focus on them as preteens (11-13 range) as they go on adventures in the Sevii/Orange archipelago and solve mysteries. The chapters would be on the longer side, but would be more episodic short stories kind of like Sherlock Holmes works. Still don't know if Lorelei's lapras should be named Mystery Machine. xD

    What do you think? Would meaty chapters with a larger gap between updates be okay?

    |ff.net profile| AO3 |


    New Chapter 5/3 '14: Subject: Connection

    3DS FC: 4012 4165 5899 (Pkmn Y, ACNL)

  19. #1444
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ████
    Posts
    1,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gorgonfish View Post
    The project would focus on Lorelei, Celio, Felina Ivy (Professor from Orange Islands), Archer (Rocket Admin), and either Celio's vulpix or Archer's houndour as the pet in an omage fic to Scooby Doo (A Pup Named Scooby Doo specifically). It would focus on them as preteens (11-13 range) as they go on adventures in the Sevii/Orange archipelago and solve mysteries. The chapters would be on the longer side, but would be more episodic short stories kind of like Sherlock Holmes works. Still don't know if Lorelei's lapras should be named Mystery Machine. xD
    Oh my god you need to do this. All of this. Including the Mystery Machine name.

    What do you think? Would meaty chapters with a larger gap between updates be okay?
    I'd say so. The episodic format sounds like it'd lend itself perfectly to it because we wouldn't need to keep track of any particular plot arc.

    So, yes. I'd say you're good to go~! \o/

    REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

    The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

    The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

  20. #1445
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chicken Smoothie
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Here's yet another half-baked fanfic idea of mine: The Chimera Project! (tentative title)
    The premise is that a bunch of teenagers are being used as lab subjects, having the DNA of first-stage Pokémon put inside them. I'm also going to try to put in a few fanfic-theories, such as why the Ralts line is in the Amorphous egg group. I'm going to avoid using over-used fanfic Pokémon, so no Eevee.

    Now, here's a few building questions:
    > Why would these scientists experiment on random teenagers?
    > Why would said scientists need to make human/Pokémon hybrids, anyway?
    > How would I make a plot of this past the premise?
    > How do I avoid making this too cliché?

    No matter how great the distance is between us… Even if we never meet again… Our hearts will always be together.
    I will always be with you even in spirit. Forever and ever.

  21. #1446
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pokemon Square
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Hello there Sunset Star!

    I recommend first reading Morphic by Dragonfree, as it’s quite similar to this premise, only it’s more of a Take That, Audience! Take (at least according to the author, since she claims she doesn’t support pokemorphs, although I liked her story and the pokemorph aspect).

    I think the trick to making it work is applying realism in this kind of story. I’ll start with your questions, I suppose . . .


    Why would these scientists experiment on random teenagers?

    Well, it’s great that you want to use pokemorph characters (I think they’re pretty cool, it’s the quality of the writing usually around them that gives it a bad reputation), but first thing is first: develop your main cast of characters.

    Characters drive the story—and it really couldn’t be more obvious after you read Morphic, too. Developing your characters also develops your plot because they are symbiotic, and depend on one another to survive.

    For example, why is your character a pokemorph? How does it contribute to the story?

    Who are the antagonists? What are your main character(s) desires, dreams, goals? What do they hope to achieve? What do they stand to gain by opposing the antagonist (or rather, what does the antagonist have to gain by opposing the protagonist)?

    I could give you a bunch of ideas, but it’s really something you need to think of yourself. This question, and the next one (Why would said scientists need to make human/Pokemon hybrids, anyway?) are linked to your own plot development.

    ###

    However, I’m not evil. I’ll brainstorm with you for a bit, or rather, I’ll give you some variables to consider:

    a.) Is this hybrid-pokemon-human thing publically known?

    a. This will greatly influence how they’re treated, or could, at least. If it’s not public knowledge, there is a chance they are treated less humane than they should be (perhaps the scientists are part of the antagonists)

    b.) What do you hope to say through your story?

    a. Themes are important in writing and often develop the story greatly. Morphic’s take was that pokemorphs are a mistake, but not all mistakes are bad—but it’s a real world out there, and the world is a tough place to live in—especially for such abominations. That might not be the take you have, and that’s fine, but develop a voice and try to come up with a purpose for your story.

    c.) What kind of person is your protagonist? How does their pokemon counter-part (so-to-speak) affect them?

    a. Perhaps their pokemon part of them greatly contradicts who they are and what they stand for—maybe it heightens their feelings and views of the world, or maybe it has helped them become who they become—perhaps their pokemon side has directly influenced their point of view, for better or for worse.

    b. What of the supporting cast? How do they mix in with the protagonist?

    d.) What is the main conflict of the story?

    a. Spend as much time developing your antagonists as you do your protagonists: how do their personalities mix? What are their dreams, goals, and desires?

    e.) And lastly, I’ll repeat your question back at you—why are these scientists experimenting? What do they have to gain? Perhaps they wish to accumulate fame when things go horribly wrong—or worse: horribly right. Or maybe they get their fame, or maybe the experiment simply doesn’t work

    a. Whatever the case may be, you must consider: what sets your protagonist(s) apart from the others? Why is the antagonists their problem and why are they the ones acting upon it? What makes them so special?

    b. Keep in mind that a real pokemon can do much more then they can, so their pokemon-morphed sides shouldn’t have much of an impact on your answer to the previous question.

    How to avoid being cliché? Come up with some original characters, and maintain a realistic setting. I wish you luck.

    Note: Feel free to send me rough drafts. I'm more than willing to beta-read (not just for you, but anyone who is in need of beta reading).
    Last edited by Shurtugal; 22nd September 2014 at 9:11 PM.
    The Bonds Within
    [Summary: I have a confession to make: I hate my trainer.[One Shot]]


    [Summary: You can only put off the inevitable for so long. Ash found out the hard way. [One Shot]]

  22. #1447
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chicken Smoothie
    Posts
    466

    Default

    For starters, the experiments thing will be kept a secret from the public. I also haven't really thought of any conflict yet. X3 I'm planning on making a world that extents far beyond the premise, if that made any sense.
    Could somebody link me to one of those random Pokémon generators that spriters use so I can find a good set of Pokémon for my story?

    No matter how great the distance is between us… Even if we never meet again… Our hearts will always be together.
    I will always be with you even in spirit. Forever and ever.

  23. #1448
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    8,003

    Default

    Idea:

    Mega Evolution has become a lot more prominent in the world as more Mega Stones keep being discovered. However, the presence of the powerful Mega Pokémon is causing a disturbance in the world. Trainers who do not own Mega Stones or Keystones are starting to riot and demand that Mega Pokémon be banished from the League and other important events due to the incomparable power differences between the regular Pokémon and Mega Evolved Pokémon.

    Mega Evolution becomes a source of large strife in the world as conflicts begin to arise across the regions. Mega Evolution has taken over the world or so it seems to some conspiracy theorists. A group of rebels is planning to overthrow Mega Evolution users in order to restore the world to what it originally was, the world before Mega Evolution became more popular.

    However, one night, a strange event causes all Pokémon unable to evolve normally. All of them, that is, except the Mega Evolution ones.

    It’s the final straw.

    Rebellion begins, and thus, the entire world plunges into chaos.


    ....and now, her story begins.

  24. #1449
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Heading back to Johto
    Posts
    674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Idea:

    Mega Evolution has become a lot more prominent in the world as more Mega Stones keep being discovered. However, the presence of the powerful Mega Pokémon is causing a disturbance in the world. Trainers who do not own Mega Stones or Keystones are starting to riot and demand that Mega Pokémon be banished from the League and other important events due to the incomparable power differences between the regular Pokémon and Mega Evolved Pokémon.

    Mega Evolution becomes a source of large strife in the world as conflicts begin to arise across the regions. Mega Evolution has taken over the world or so it seems to some conspiracy theorists. A group of rebels is planning to overthrow Mega Evolution users in order to restore the world to what it originally was, the world before Mega Evolution became more popular.

    However, one night, a strange event causes all Pokémon unable to evolve normally. All of them, that is, except the Mega Evolution ones.

    It’s the final straw.

    Rebellion begins, and thus, the entire world plunges into chaos.
    This is really intriguing. I find a lot of parallels with BW's storyline with the "class system" and rebellion being the key themes.

    I don't have anything else to say, other than you'll have me as a reader once you post it.
    Tamer's Archives
    A Pokemon fic. Chapter 4 is up [1/25/11]

    Heroic Potential
    A Yugioh! fic. Chapter 20 is up [12/14/13]
    ~Back from the dead!~
    No knowledge of the game is required to enjoy this fic!

  25. #1450
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Idea:

    Mega Evolution has become a lot more prominent in the world as more Mega Stones keep being discovered. However, the presence of the powerful Mega Pokémon is causing a disturbance in the world. Trainers who do not own Mega Stones or Keystones are starting to riot and demand that Mega Pokémon be banished from the League and other important events due to the incomparable power differences between the regular Pokémon and Mega Evolved Pokémon.

    Mega Evolution becomes a source of large strife in the world as conflicts begin to arise across the regions. Mega Evolution has taken over the world or so it seems to some conspiracy theorists. A group of rebels is planning to overthrow Mega Evolution users in order to restore the world to what it originally was, the world before Mega Evolution became more popular.

    However, one night, a strange event causes all Pokémon unable to evolve normally. All of them, that is, except the Mega Evolution ones.

    It’s the final straw.

    Rebellion begins, and thus, the entire world plunges into chaos.
    I too would be pretty interested in this. If you ever post this then I would give it a read too. Question though. How would they decide who uses Mega Evolutions and who doesn't? For example, how would they know the difference between someone who uses a Lucario versus someone who uses Mega Lucario?
    Credit goes to MagicMochi. Check out their shop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder
    While it is very reminiscent of a lot of journey trainer fics, it held my attention. It stands out among a lot of the other fics I've read lately and I'm excited to continue the story.

Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •